✟78,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
(New Testament | 2 Corinthians 6:16)

16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

We believe our bodies are the temple of the living God (spirit of God).

(New Testament | Romans 8:9 - 14)

9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Christ's body is not in us. The spirit is the Holy Ghost.

The Holy Ghost per Mormonism is a spirit made of matter that looks like his future physical body.

"The spirit body looks like the physical body (1 Ne. 11:11; Ether 3:15–16; D&C 77:2; 129)."

Stop dodging the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
But the record states that the Book also contained grammatical errors and was copied word for word from the plates, and used KJV language which was not known when the Nephite compiled them. How can that be?

Oh, something for you to explain. A set of brass plates were discovered with a type of Egyptian Hieroglyphic language on them. These were translated by JS and presented as authentic. They were taken and examined by qualified Egyptologists who found that the language was nothing like Egyptian, and that they could not have been translated. A little later a person confessed that the plates were fake and were made up as a prank. The whole thing was a hoax, but JS and Brigham Young were convinced at the time that they were authentic.

If JS was a prophet, shouldn't God have revealed that these brass plates were a fake?
Oscarr I am surprised that after over 12,000 posts you are unaware that Joseph Smith did not translate the Kinder Hook plates which were made as a prank. The golden plates (original plates) were not copied, Joseph Smith used the Urim and Thummin to translate the book of Lehi into English and a seer stone to translate most if not all of the Book of Mormon.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
That doesn't mean that Holy Ghost dwells in people. You're ignoring the questions I ask.
TWO personages of matter aren't going to fit in one body.
Yes they can. Neutrinos are made of matter yet they can pass right through the earth.
Neutrino - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
This mean that God no longer dwells in temples made with man's hands, but dwells in the person of the Holy Spirit in every believer.
Another point I want to make is that it would have been impossible for the resurrected Jesus to have gone and preached to the Nephites, because He was resurrected in 33AD, spent 40 days with the disciples, and then was raised to glory to be seated at the right hand of the Father. Then the Holy Spirit came on the Day of Pentecost to represent Jesus in the disciples and consequently in each genuinely converted believer. Once Jesus took His seat at the right hand of the Father, He stayed there.

Therefore there is no way that Jesus would have travelled to North America to preach to the Nephites. But if the Nephites were living in North America before 33AD, then how come the resurrected Jesus went to preach to them before He was even on earth, crucified and resurrected? It just doesn't make sense.

If the Nephites existed in North America around 33AD, then the ruins of their cities would be evident and many artifacts from their culture would be discovered, just like all the cultures that existed during that time.

The Bible does not say God no longer dwells in temples. Jesus has a spiritual resurrected body, He can go anywhere He wants to go:
(New Testament | John 10:16)

16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.
(New Testament | Luke 17:22 - 25)

22 And he said unto the disciples, The days will come, when ye shall desire to see one of the days of the Son of man, and ye shall not see it.
23 And they shall say to you, See here; or, see there: go not after them, nor follow them.
24 For as the lightning, that lighteneth out of the one part under heaven, shineth unto the other part under heaven; so shall also the Son of man be in his day.
25 But first must he suffer many things, and be rejected of this generation.

Jesus went to the Americas after His death.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
That doesn't mean that Holy Ghost dwells in people. You're ignoring the questions I ask.
TWO personages of matter aren't going to fit in one body.
The Biblical view was that in the Old Testament the Holy Spirit came upon selected people in order to achieve the will of God. But after the day of Pentecost the Holy Spirit came to dwell with our spirit. We know that man is made up of spirit, soul and body. We will never find the spirit and soul by taking the physical body apart. These are invisible and they make up the real "person". So we live in our physical body. For example, our mind, which is part of our soul, controls the physical brain. When the brain stops function, the mind lives on. This is how we can continue in a state of consciousness after death.

So, the invisible person of the Holy Spirit is able to live with our spirit within us. Our spirit and the Holy Spirit are not limited by our physical body. This is a mystery and cannot be perceived by empirical means. But it is Biblical.

Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
We use the KJV with LDS footnotes, I quoted the KJV as I usually do. Do you not like the KJV?
The KJV was my first Bible and I used it from 1966 to 1981, then bought myself a New American Standard Bible and an Amplified Bible, and used all three.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The Bible does not say God no longer dwells in temples. Jesus has a spiritual resurrected body, He can go anywhere He wants to go:
(New Testament | John 10:16)

16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.
(New Testament | Luke 17:22 - 25)

22 And he said unto the disciples, The days will come, when ye shall desire to see one of the days of the Son of man, and ye shall not see it.
23 And they shall say to you, See here; or, see there: go not after them, nor follow them.
24 For as the lightning, that lighteneth out of the one part under heaven, shineth unto the other part under heaven; so shall also the Son of man be in his day.
25 But first must he suffer many things, and be rejected of this generation.

If the indwelling Holy Spirit in a person makes a believer a temple of the Holy Spirit, replacing the presence of God in the holy of holies in the Jewish Temple, then the Mormon temples don't have the presence of God in them at all? Therefore the presence of God should then be within each believer and so when they go into the temple, they take the presence of God with them, instead of going into the presence of God which is resident in the temple.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
In AD 33? If Jesus went to the Americas at that time - because He was seated at the right hand of God before AD 34 - then if He preached, then there must have been conversions to Christ at that time. But the reality is that there was no evidence of Christianity before the Spanish arrived much later and brought Roman Catholic Christianity to the Americas.

But the date of the golden plates was well before AD 33! Christ must have visited the Americas before the gold plates were inscribed with the story of the Nephites who migrated to North America before the birth of Christ in Israel. There is a timing issue here that cannot be resolved.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Oscarr I am surprised that after over 12,000 posts you are unaware that Joseph Smith did not translate the Kinder Hook plates which were made as a prank. The golden plates (original plates) were not copied, Joseph Smith used the Urim and Thummin to translate the book of Lehi into English and a seer stone to translate most if not all of the Book of Mormon.
I stand corrected. Although the Kinder Hook plates were initially viewed as authentic. I agree that JS used the Urim and Thummin to translate the book. But I think you have shot yourself in the foot when you mentioned the seer stone, because that is an occult device. This means that JS did not translate the book through the Holy Spirit, but through the occult which is demonic in nature.

JS's own mother testified that he was heavily into the occult, became a Freemason and was deeply involved in the Luciferian rituals of Freemasonry. It has been proved that at the higher secret levels of that movement, there are named demons that are worshiped. If JS was that heavily involved in the occult and Freemasonry, then it would be quite feasible that he would have adapted Freemason rituals into the secret temple rituals and ceremonies that only a very select group of very senior leaders would have access. And these senior leaders would have to keep the rituals secret on pain of death and to make a vow to that effect.

I think that most of the rank of file church members would have no knowledge of these things. The original records are stored deep in the archives at the Salt Lake City Temple, not accessible to anyone except the highest level of leadership.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
In AD 33? If Jesus went to the Americas at that time - because He was seated at the right hand of God before AD 34 - then if He preached, then there must have been conversions to Christ at that time. But the reality is that there was no evidence of Christianity before the Spanish arrived much later and brought Roman Catholic Christianity to the Americas.

But the date of the golden plates was well before AD 33! Christ must have visited the Americas before the gold plates were inscribed with the story of the Nephites who migrated to North America before the birth of Christ in Israel. There is a timing issue here that cannot be resolved.
Jesus can go anywhere He desires to go at any time. He does not stay seated all of the time. The golden plates were written on for many years by many generations from about 600 BC to 420 AD. Not all of it was written before Christ was born.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus can go anywhere He desires to go at any time. He does not stay seated all of the time. The golden plates were written on for many years by many generations from about 600 BC to 420 AD. Not all of it was written before Christ was born.
Okay. That's informative. Therefore, if the Nephites existed as soon as 420 AD, we should be seeing the ruins of cities in North America where they would have lived. The problem is that archaeologists, including the Mormon ones, even though they have searched many years for evidence, they have never found it.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I stand corrected. Although the Kinder Hook plates were initially viewed as authentic. I agree that JS used the Urim and Thummin to translate the book. But I think you have shot yourself in the foot when you mentioned the seer stone, because that is an occult device. This means that JS did not translate the book through the Holy Spirit, but through the occult which is demonic in nature.

JS's own mother testified that he was heavily into the occult, became a Freemason and was deeply involved in the Luciferian rituals of Freemasonry. It has been proved that at the higher secret levels of that movement, there are named demons that are worshiped. If JS was that heavily involved in the occult and Freemasonry, then it would be quite feasible that he would have adapted Freemason rituals into the secret temple rituals and ceremonies that only a very select group of very senior leaders would have access. And these senior leaders would have to keep the rituals secret on pain of death and to make a vow to that effect.

I think that most of the rank of file church members would have no knowledge of these things. The original records are stored deep in the archives at the Salt Lake City Temple, not accessible to anyone except the highest level of leadership.

Not only did he use an occult seer stone throughout his "translation" of the BOM, but the stone actually belonged to someone else and when the person asked for it back--refused to give it back! In other words, he translated with stolen property!!

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

Prophets were called seers:
(Old Testament | 1 Samuel 9:9)

9 (Beforetime in Israel, when a man went to enquire of God, thus he spake, Come, and let us go to the seer: for he that is now called a Prophet was beforetime called a Seer.)

David had a seer:
(Old Testament | 2 Samuel 24:11 - 12)

11 For when David was up in the morning, the word of the LORD came unto the prophet Gad, David's seer, saying,
12 Go and say unto David, Thus saith the LORD, I offer thee three things; choose thee one of them, that I may do it unto thee.

Do you believe that David was of the occult?

"
Is there no Masonic theology, then?
An examination of the the degrees will reveal that there is a basic theology of Masonry, as follows:

• There is a Supreme Being
    Who created the Universe,
    Who has established and revealed a moral law,
    And to Whom we must give account
    in a life after this.
These five points are supported by material in the lectures and related contents of the degrees, such as the discourses on the Working Tools. But there is nothing in these points that is in conflict with any major religion of the Western world. (To be sure, there are branches of Buddhism that are non-theistic, and there are those who do not believe in an afterlife, but they need not become Freemasons, nor does Masonry seek to dissuade them from their beliefs.)

What about allegations that Freemasonry is Satanic or pagan?
Most of these are complete fabrications; the rest are misunderstandings of the institution and its rituals. A number of forgeries and alleged exposes of Masonry were created during the last century. Most of the claims of "Satanism" in Masonry can be traced to one or two of these fraudulent sources. Other such allegations are simply made-up claims about what various Masonic emblems and symbols stand for. From: A Page About Masonry: Questions: Difficult Questions About Freemasonry

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

9 (Beforetime in Israel, when a man went to enquire of God, thus he spake, Come, and let us go to the seer: for he that is now called a Prophet was beforetime called a Seer.)

David had a seer:

11 For when David was up in the morning, the word of the LORD came unto the prophet Gad, David's seer, saying,
12 Go and say unto David, Thus saith the LORD, I offer thee three things; choose thee one of them, that I may do it unto thee.

"
An examination of the the degrees will reveal that there is a basic theology of Masonry, as follows:

in a life after this.
These five points are supported by material in the lectures and related contents of the degrees, such as the discourses on the Working Tools. But there is nothing in these points that is in conflict with any major religion of the Western world. (To be sure, there are branches of Buddhism that are non-theistic, and there are those who do not believe in an afterlife, but they need not become Freemasons, nor does Masonry seek to dissuade them from their beliefs.)

Most of these are complete fabrications; the rest are misunderstandings of the institution and its rituals. A number of forgeries and alleged exposes of Masonry were created during the last century. Most of the claims of "Satanism" in Masonry can be traced to one or two of these fraudulent sources. Other such allegations are simply made-up claims about what various Masonic emblems and symbols stand for. From: A Page About Masonry: Questions: Difficult Questions About Freemasonry

Yes, they were called seers. And they did not use stones in a hat. The only stones used were by the High Priest -- the T+ U, and the stones on the Ephod. Both were engraved with the names of the tribes of Israel.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

David had a seer:

"

in a life after this.

Here is a good description of Freemasonry:
Why is Freemasonry Wrong? - Righteous Acts Ministries (RAM)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Yes, they were called seers. And they did not use stones in a hat. The only stones used were by the High Priest -- the T+ U, and the stones on the Ephod. Both were engraved with the names of the tribes of Israel.
There were different methods of communicating with God in the Bible. A seer stone would be a more practical way to bring a book like the Book of Mormon to the world.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
There were different methods of communicating with God in the Bible. A seer stone would be a more practical way to bring a book like the Book of Mormon to the world.

There is no record of such a thing. The T+U were not seer stones. One stone would light up for yes, the other for no. God had a much more practical way to get His message to people. His prophet was told directly by Him what to tell them! He talked to them in their own language---no translations were ever needed---except for the writing on the wall--Daniel was told directly what it meant.
God never needed anythi8ng translated when dealing with one of His prophets!---much more practical than stones in a hat---hard on the neck!

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
There is no record of such a thing. The T+U were not seer stones. One stone would light up for yes, the other for no. God had a much more practical way to get His message to people. His prophet was told directly by Him what to tell them! He talked to them in their own language---no translations were ever needed---except for the writing on the wall--Daniel was told directly what it meant.
God never needed anythi8ng translated when dealing with one of His prophets!---much more practical than stones in a hat---hard on the neck!
Daniel was not dictating a book that was over 500 pages either. There were a lot of people who did not believe Jesus because He did things differently. I recognize the Book of Mormon as the word of God which it is.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes they can. Neutrinos are made of matter yet they can pass right through the earth.
Neutrino - Wikipedia

TWO personages of matter aren't going to fit in one body. Your "Holy Ghost" is not a neutrino. Or is that what they taught you in Primary?

Upvote 0