The gospel

THIS

I only want God's Truth
Apr 22, 2014
Hidden with Christ in God, see Colossians 3:3.
✟1,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mark 16:15
And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

If gospel means "good news" or "good tidings", what do you think Christ meant when he used this word "gospel"?

The gospel means that we can now all have salvation by faith and not by works; the works Jews used to have to do, such as be circumcised, adhere to the dietary laws, do various external washings, give animal sacrifices, and observe special days.

Those works the Jews did were to make THEMSELVES clean and justified, just to worship God in the temple. However, we are now made clean and justified through faith in Jesus’ shed blood on the cross. Jesus’ blood makes us clean, and we become the temple of the living God.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The Gospel is only good news to the poor, the oppressed, the weak, and the least in this world.

It is bad news to the rich, the greedy, those who held places of honor, to the strong, those who exploited the poor, those who are worldly, and the first in this world.

Luke 6:20-26, read it.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
Mark 16:15
And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

If gospel means "good news" or "good tidings", what do you think Christ meant when he used this word "gospel"?

The good news of all that He, Jesus, had done to secure salvation for sinners.

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The gospel means that we can now all have salvation by faith and not by works; the works Jews used to have to do, such as be circumcised, adhere to the dietary laws, do various external washings, give animal sacrifices, and observe special days.

Those works the Jews did were to make THEMSELVES clean and justified, just to worship God in the temple. However, we are now made clean and justified through faith in Jesus’ shed blood on the cross. Jesus’ blood makes us clean, and we become the temple of the living God.

So, the Jesus taught that we were to have faith in him? And that we didn't need do anything else? And this faith is what brings salvation?

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The Gospel is only good news to the poor, the oppressed, the weak, and the least in this world.

It is bad news to the rich, the greedy, those who held places of honor, to the strong, those who exploited the poor, those who are worldly, and the first in this world.

Luke 6:20-26, read it.

So, only the poor, oppressed and weak are saved? Christ said it wasn't easy for a rich man to make it into heaven, but didn't say it was impossible. If he asked them to teach it to the world, should they just bypass the rich then? Many clergy are rich comparatively.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So, the Jesus taught that we were to have faith in him? And that we didn't need do anything else?
Yes--as far as salvation is concerned. However, we have been called by Christ to do much more merely because it is right to do.

So, only the poor, oppressed and weak are saved?
No, but some of the vices of the wealthy do not tempt the poor and, in addition, salvation by faith in Christ is necessarily going to be "good" news to those who have always been on the short end of the stick in life. That's because the rich cannot gain an advantage in the matter of salvation, even though they can pretty much do that with everything else in life.

Does glorifying the name of the Father have anything to do with the "good news"? He seemed to bring him into the forefront often.
Yes. But I think this is so obvious, that perhaps I am missing the point you are interested in.

Upvote 0

Norah63

Jun 29, 2011
everlasting hills
✟14,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The good news of the gospel is for all who would recieve it.
For some it seems too good to be true so they will not to recieve.
Grace is very hard to give to some. They dont trust what they havent done something for.
God's love is greater than we can comprehend, but not greater than we can surrender to.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
Does glorifying the name of the Father have anything to do with the "good news"? He seemed to bring him into the forefront often.

The good news of the gospel is all Jesus has done to secure salvation for sinners. Through His finished work, Jesus brings glory to the Father, and the Father glorifies the Son.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The good news of the gospel is for all who would recieve it.
For some it seems too good to be true so they will not to recieve.
Grace is very hard to give to some. They dont trust what they havent done something for.
God's love is greater than we can comprehend, but not greater than we can surrender to.

I like this. Knowledge can be as complex or as simple as we make it. Becoming a child seems to be a hurdle, doesn't it?

Upvote 0

THIS

I only want God's Truth
Apr 22, 2014
✟1,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, the Jesus taught that we were to have faith in him? And that we didn't need do anything else? And this faith is what brings salvation?

Jesus saves those who believe and obey.

Faith in his blood washes us clean and justifies us before God. We do not have to be circumcised, and sacrifice animals, etc.

Upvote 0

THIS

I only want God's Truth
Apr 22, 2014
✟1,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like this. Knowledge can be as complex or as simple as we make it. Becoming a child seems to be a hurdle, doesn't it?
You like it, but it is not God's Truth.

The only time ‘faith alone’ is mentioned in the Bible, it is to tell us what kind of faith not to have.

James 2:24 You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

Calvinists, Lutherans, Baptists, and all those from many denominations believe in the false teachings of faith alone.

They believe faith alone without any right action saves, but the Apostle James says such faith is DEAD.

Many denominations call that dead faith ‘saving faith’.

James 2:17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

James tells us faith alone cannot save a man. See James 2:14.

That “dead faith” is NOT the most important kind of faith ever known.

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

The only time ‘faith alone’ is mentioned in the Bible, it is to tell us what kind of faith not to have.

James 2:24 You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

Calvinists, Lutherans, Baptists, and all those from many denominations believe in the false teachings of faith alone.

They believe faith alone without any right action saves, but the Apostle James says such faith is DEAD.

James 2:17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

You need to explain. Neither I nor Norah mentioned "faith" or "faith alone". You may be referring to Albions post.

BTW- I am NOT a faith alone believer.

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Jesus saves those who believe and obey.

Faith in his blood washes us clean and justifies us before God. We do not have to be circumcised, and sacrifice animals, etc.

He said to drink his blood. Is that the same blood that washes us?

Elaborate on what obey means. Is that obey the 10 commandments?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

THIS

I only want God's Truth
Apr 22, 2014
✟1,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You need to explain. Neither I nor Norah mentioned "faith" or "faith alone". You may be referring to Albions post.

BTW- I am NOT a faith alone believer.

Norah said, "They dont trust what they havent done something for."

Upvote 0

IchoozJC

Dec 5, 2004
✟10,672.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The way I see it:

If a millionaire made a million dollar deposit in your bank account when you asked, what did you have to do to receive it? Nothing, but you believed it when you seen your balance. Theres your saving faith. But naturally your gonna spend it. There's your works.

Upvote 0

THIS

I only want God's Truth
Apr 22, 2014
✟1,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He said to drink his blood. Is that the same blood that washes us?

Believing in his blood is the same as drinking his blood.

Elaborate on what obey means. Is that obey the 10 commandments?

Obey Jesus' teachings. The 10 commandments are some of Jesus' teachings, except we do not have to observe special days anymore. All the special days were about Jesus. We only have to observe Jesus now.

Upvote 0

THIS

I only want God's Truth
Apr 22, 2014
✟1,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The way I see it:

If a millionaire made a million dollar deposit in your bank account when you asked, what did you have to do to receive it? Nothing, but you believed it when you seen your balance. Theres your saving faith. But naturally your gonna spend it. There's your works.

Our analogies are just not good enough. I go by what the scriptures say. The scriptures say Jesus saves us all on his own, and he chooses those he saves. He saves those who believe and obey.

Upvote 0