✟37,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Galatians 3:8
[8]And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

Hebrews 4:2 KJV — For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

They had the gospel as well back then, just as we have it today. Faith is the key.

How was the gospel preached to Abraham based on Galatians 3:8?

Genesis 12:3 KJV — And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

How where the nation's to be blessed by Abraham.

Genesis 22:18 KJV — And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

Genesis 28:14 KJV — And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thee and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed.

The promised seed is how the nations are to be blessed. Now who is this seed?

Genesis 49:10 KJV — The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be.

Isaiah 65:9 KJV — And I will bring forth a seed out of Jacob, and out of Judah an inheritor of my mountains: and mine elect shall inherit it, and my servants shall dwell there.

Galatians 3:16 KJV — Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

We see here that Christ is the promised Seed. This is the gospel. This same gospel was preached to Adam and Eve, here lets take a look.

Genesis 3:14-15
[14]And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
[15]And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Here we see that the seed is mentioned. That seed is Christ. By faith they looked forward to the cross of Christ and by faith we look back to the cross of Christ.

BrotherD

Thus Saith The Lord
Mar 10, 2019
Tennessee
✟37,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Putting the Kingdom (governance/will) of God before the will of man has yes, been taught since the Garden. No one listens. What kind of election would there be if both sides promoted the will of God rather than their own agendas?

What do you mean by this. Sorry, i am not understanding your question.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
[8]And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

Hebrews 4:2 KJV — For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

They had the gospel as well back then, just as we have it today. Faith is the key.

Genesis 12:3 KJV — And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

Genesis 22:18 KJV — And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

Genesis 28:14 KJV — And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thee and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed.

Genesis 49:10 KJV — The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be.

Isaiah 65:9 KJV — And I will bring forth a seed out of Jacob, and out of Judah an inheritor of my mountains: and mine elect shall inherit it, and my servants shall dwell there.

Galatians 3:16 KJV — Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

We see here that Christ is the promised Seed. This is the gospel. This same gospel was preached to Adam and Eve, here lets take a look.

[14]And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
[15]And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Here we see that the seed is mentioned. That seed is Christ. By faith they looked forward to the cross of Christ and by faith we look back to the cross of Christ.

Links into HEBREWS 4:1-5

• Agree
Reactions: BrotherD
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

Exactly right. The Gospel has been around from the beginning. I often find myself countering those supposedly learned that say the Christianity is only a poor copy of older religions. I say no. Redemption was ours since the fall of Adam. There is no other way to the Father.

Reactions: BrotherD
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

We can say the "gospel" was preached to Abraham, but we should be candid and admit the content of said gospel was pretty anemic. Intensionally speaking (i.e. concerning the intension), "and her seed, it shall bruise thy head" is not anywhere near equivalent to "The Incarnate Son of God was crucified and rose again, which is efficacious for the forgiveness of sin, based on grace through faith."

Whatever Abraham knew, in terms of content, it wasn't what Paul was preaching. So, Abraham's faith was not content dependant. And yet, he was/is still justified. The only way that can work is if grace is a soveriegn act of God, not dependent on the content of one's faith.

Upvote 0

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Putting the Kingdom (governance/will) of God before the will of man has yes, been taught since the Garden.

Totally agree. Not the details of Christ's atonement as we know today, but enough -- the fact that salvation comes from God only.

No one listens.

It may be true that *most* do not listen, or are weak in their response, but there is always a remnant. For example, "there are yet 7,000 who have not bowed the knee to Baal".

What kind of election would there be if both sides promoted the will of God rather than their own agendas?

Are you talking about the US political situation? I'm not sure I understand the point of this. What has the kingdom of God to do with the government of the US? If our country goes down the tube due to a "left error" or "right error", I will mourn -- but it does not stop the advance of God's Kingdom.

Upvote 0

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's the point... nothing. But it should.

I think that's where we differ. It sounds like you would be willing to enforce moral behavior in cases where I would not.

God allows us to exercise free will in many cases that harm us. I think we should be very careful not to go beyond God's standards. In some cases, I think we see militant anti-morality today because of excessive laws against immoral behavior in the past.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,117.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think we should be very careful not to go beyond God's standards.
What's so hard about loving all as self? He wasn't asking much with that and since the Garden it's always boiled down to putting others ahead of self to help keep the focus off of self.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What's so hard about loving all as self?

I agree, we should be compassionate and treat others kindly. But we must be careful not to impose morality by compulsion just because it will ultimately make their lives better.

Upvote 0

BrotherD

Thus Saith The Lord
Mar 10, 2019
Tennessee
✟37,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Exactly right. The Gospel has been around from the beginning. I often find myself countering those supposedly learned that say the Christianity is only a poor copy of older religions. I say no. Redemption was ours since the fall of Adam. There is no other way to the Father.

Amen brother. If only we slow down when reading the scriptures and let the spirit guide us into all truth.

Malachi 3:6 KJV — For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

Hebrews 13:8 KJV — Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

BrotherD

Thus Saith The Lord
Mar 10, 2019
Tennessee
✟37,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
We can say the "gospel" was preached to Abraham, but we should be candid and admit the content of said gospel was pretty anemic. Intensionally speaking (i.e. concerning the intension), "and her seed, it shall bruise thy head" is not anywhere near equivalent to "The Incarnate Son of God was crucified and rose again, which is efficacious for the forgiveness of sin, based on grace through faith."

Whatever Abraham knew, in terms of content, it wasn't what Paul was preaching. So, Abraham's faith was not content dependant. And yet, he was/is still justified. The only way that can work is if grace is a soveriegn act of God, not dependent on the content of one's faith.

How is the gospel Abraham had preached to him anemic? Abraham knew the sacrifices of animals were foreshadowing the sacrifice of Christ. Jesus's blood had enough power to save before the cross and has as much power after the cross.

Abraham never physically seen Jesus give his life, just as we did not. Faith is the only thing that connects us. He believed and we do too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
We can say the "gospel" was preached to Abraham, but we should be candid and admit the content of said gospel was pretty anemic. .

John 8: 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.”

Such that Moses and Elijah stand with Christ in glory before the cross in Matthew 17

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
They were looking forwar to the Kingdom/governance of God rather than of man. It was Jesus' Gospel. Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done. No one was looking forward to Christian doctrines.

"The gospel was preached to us JUST as it was them also" Heb 4:2
There is only ONE Gospel Gal 1:6-9 and that "Gospel was preached to Abraham" Gal 3:8

1 Peter 1
10 As to this salvation, the prophets who prophesied of the grace that would come to you made careful searches and inquiries, 11 seeking to know what person or time the Spirit of Christ within them was indicating as He predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories to follow.

Luke 24
“O foolish men and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken! 26 Was it not necessary for the Christ to suffer these things and to enter into His glory?” 27 Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.

Heb 11: 7 By faith Noah, being warned by God about things not yet seen, in reverence prepared an ark for the salvation of his household, by which he condemned the world, and became an heir of the righteousness which is according to faith.

24 By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter, 25 choosing rather to endure ill-treatment with the people of God than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin, 26 considering the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures of Egypt; for he was looking to the reward.

That is pretty clear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
God was to live among the people was what was clear. Hence His Kingdom come, His will be done.

And each detail in those texts you did not quote as well.. "the sufferings of Christ AND the glories to follow" :)

Upvote 0