North America
✟167,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
But he taught one truth as foundational - the only foundation that can be built upon:

NKJ 1 Cor. 3:10-11 According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. 11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.​

NKJ Acts 18:1-5 After these things Paul departed from Athens and went to Corinth. 2 And he found a certain Jew named Aquila, born in Pontus, who had recently come from Italy with his wife Priscilla (because Claudius had commanded all the Jews to depart from Rome); and he came to them. 3 So, because he was of the same trade, he stayed with them and worked; for by occupation they were tentmakers. 4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks. 5 When Silas and Timothy had come from Macedonia, Paul was compelled by the Spirit, and testified to the Jews that Jesus is the Christ.​

Remembering that "Christ" is a title, whenever we read "Jesus Christ," it's just short for Jesus the Christ, or Jesus is the Christ. The fact that the Messiah/Christ finally came into human history in the person of Jesus, was and is the foundation for Christianity.

And for Christians who did not grow up learning the Jewish Scriptures, the other part of this foundation is who and what "the Christ" is. For this Paul pointed mixed audiences of Jews & non-Jews to Psalm 2 for a short & intense writing about YHWH's Anointed/Christ/Messiah (Acts 13). Psalm 2 would probably be a better place to start evangelizing than 1 Cor 15. Then the evangelized would be founded on the fact that this Jesus Christ is someone who best be obeyed by all - including kings of the earth. Paul evangelized this way & laid this foundation.

Yes, we have a lot of translations now. I also look at several English versions (9 on screen right now). I also read translational notes & translate Greek. Here is another translation and a few translations notes from a couple versions:

YLT 1 Corinthians 15:3 for I delivered to you first, what also I did receive, that Christ died for our sins, according to the Writings,​

NET 1 Corinthians 15:3 For I passed on to you as of first importance (3) what I also received – that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures,

NET Notes (1Co 15:3): (3) tn Grk "among (the) first things."
NAS 1 Corinthians 15:3 For (a) I delivered to you (1) as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died (b) for our sins (c) according to the Scriptures,

Notes:
1 Lit., among the first
a 1Co 11:23
b Joh 1:29; Gal 1:4; Heb 5:1, Heb 5:3; 1Pe 2:24
c Isa 53:5-12; Mat 26:24; Luk 24:25-27; Act 8:32f.; Act 17:2f.; Act 26:22
NIV 1 Corinthians 15:3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance(1) : that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,

NIV Notes (1Co 15:3): Notes: (1) Or you at the first
What these translators are telling us is that they are making a choice as to how to translate the Greek phrase. As the NAS notes, the literal translation would be "among the first."

The Greek word at issue here can mean first in time, first in importance, first in order, etc. One of the problems I have with this notion of first importance is that it conflicts with the concept of foundations, which are of first importance in building as Paul - the wise/skillful master builder indicates (1Cor3:10). This is one of the reasons I wouldn't translate 1Cor15:3 as importance.

On the other hand, importance would not be an issue if we just stay close in context in 1Cor15. Note that Paul doesn't mention "Jesus" until late in 1Cor15. He just says that "Christ" died, was buried, was resurrected according to the Scriptures. He doesn't have to mention Jesus to these Corinthians because he's already laid the foundation that Jesus is the Christ. All he's doing in 1Cor15 is making the case for the vital importance of the resurrection of Jesus the Christ. If not resurrected, then Jesus is not the Christ (because the Christ was to die, be buried & resurrected per Scripture) and our faith that Jesus is the Christ is then worthless.​
I know this 1Cor15 gospel, which is actually part of the Gospel, has been made extremely popular, but it does not teach foundationally who and what the Christ is and thus who and what Jesus actually is. He's YHWH's Anointed (Ps2) - YHWH's Prophet, Priest, and KING. And the earth is His - He is the resurrected King of God's Kingdom, the Kingdom of Heaven. All authority in Heaven and on earth has been given to Him and He has commanded that we make students of all nations, baptizing them and teaching all He commands. This is all authority language beginning with the title "Christ." This is Kingdom language and the KING. If more Christians understood this, then maybe we'd have more obedience to the King and less belief that He allows sin to continue in those who are truly His.

Death for our sins, burial, resurrection is surely of great importance, but who & what is this person is the foundation upon which all that has been done for us can be built. That's Paul's language.

All foundational truth needed for salvation was offered in the scripture I shared with you.

1 Cor 15:2-4 Christ died for your sins, was buried & rose on the 3rd day.

Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

1 Thes 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

Where in the kingdom message do I find Christ's salvations death & resurrection foundational truth message?

BTW Messiah/Christ wasn't promised to gentiles. Pre-resurrection gentiles had no relationship with God.

Eph 2:
11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;

12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

Additional help:
Though told the apostles did not understand that Messiah was going to die or rise from the dead. (Matt 16:21-22, Lk 18:33-34, & Jn 20:9)

Messiah's, earthly/walk, fleshly/ministry. Was to and only to the Jews = the circumcision.

Matt 10:5 Messiah sent forth the 12 & commanded them. To not go the Gentiles or into any city of the Samaritans
(NOTE: Samaritans were Jewish descendants from Ephraim and the half-tribe of Manasseh. They had inter married & were considered 1/2 breeds by the Jews. Jesus say's DON'T go to GENTILES)

6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
(NOTE: Messiah is sent, & sends his disciples to, the lost sheep of the ""House of Israel"")

Matt 15:24 Messiah answered & said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
(NOTE: Messiah say's; He has been sent, ONLY, to the lost sheep of the ""House of Israel"")

Rom 15:8 I say that Messiah was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:
(NOTE: Messiah came to preach to the circumcision (Jews only) & to fulfil promises made to the circumcision's fathers, NOT GENTILES)

Acts 10:28 Peter said unto them, Ye know how that it is an """unlawful""" thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean
(NOTE: Peter tells Cornelius a gentile. It's UNLAWFUl for a Jew to keep company with a gentile)

Pre-cross, Jews often referred to Gentiles as "dogs". (See Matt 7:6; Lk 16:21) To include the Lord Himself (Matt 15:26)

Gentiles were considered so ungodly, being in their presence could make a Jew ceremonially unclean (Jn 18:28)

Broad brushing gentiles into Jesus pre-death & resurrection kingdom message is unscriptural. Pease JJ

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All foundational truth needed for salvation was offered in the scripture I shared with you.

Obviously you vs. Paul, I chose Paul. No other foundation can be laid other than Jesus is Christ and Christ is Prophet, Priest and King. From there we build.

Start with 1Cor15 and you have to go back to pick up the foundation as to who & what the Christ is. Paul didn't have that issue in 1Cor because he had already placed the foundation some time before as depicted in Acts and as he clearly alludes to in 1Cor3 & 15.

You're teaching part of the Gospel as the only part of the Gospel that needs to be believed for Salvation. That was clearly not Paul's practice.

Broad brushing gentiles into Jesus pre-death & resurrection kingdom message is unscriptural.

Odd given the fact that the message of the Abrahamic Seed was for all nations to be blessed. Yes that blessing was to come through Israel, and it ultimately did through its Messiah and Remnant. Also, ever heard of proselytes and "those who feared God" and that Israel was to be a priest nation?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

You do notice the 2 parts to this - separated by "and," don't you?

Some say "Lord" here is a reference to YHWH. Even if it's not, it does make the point of Jesus' authority and the context uses His title, "Christ". So, as I've pointed out, the foundation per Paul is that Jesus is the Christ, and it's vital to believe in His resurrection, or He's not the Christ and we have no foundation for our faith.

Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟167,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Obviously you vs. Paul, I chose Paul. No other foundation can be laid other than Jesus is Christ and Christ is Prophet, Priest and King. From there we build.

Start with 1Cor15 and you have to go back to pick up the foundation as to who & what the Christ is. Paul didn't have that issue in 1Cor because he had already placed the foundation some time before as depicted in Acts and as he clearly alludes to in 1Cor3 & 15.

You're teaching part of the Gospel as the only part of the Gospel that needs to be believed for Salvation. That was clearly not Paul's practice.

Odd given the fact that the message of the Abrahamic Seed was for all nations to be blessed. Yes that blessing was to come through Israel, and it ultimately did through its Messiah and Remnant. Also, ever heard of proselytes and "those who feared God" and that Israel was to be a priest nation?

Strange I quoted Paul several times. I made no mention of Abraham. It's true any gentile could become a Jewish proselyte: They had to Promise to adhere to all Mosaic law, bring a sacrifice to the Temple and under-go full Mikveh. I'll leave our discussion there. Best wishes, JJ

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Strange I quoted Paul several times. I made no mention of Abraham. It's true any gentile could become a Jewish proselyte: They had to Promise to adhere to all Mosaic law, bring a sacrifice to the Temple and under-go full Mikveh. I'll leave our discussion there.

Maybe strange if you want to control the narrative. I don't know why it's strange to bring in a fact about salvation of the nations based in Abraham in regards to the Kingdom being offered to Israel [first]. It seems like you're saying I need to stick with your making your case with just the Scriptures you want to use, when there are obviously more that tell more of the story.

Also, you used Rom10 and I just showed you how Rom 10 makes my case rather than yours.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John the Baptist preached the gospel of the kingdom, which was, "..Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." (Matthew 3:2) During the three year earthly ministry of Jesus, He preached that "the kingdom of God is near." (Matthew 4:17; Luke 10:9; Mark 1:15) After John was arrested, Jesus came into Galilee, proclaiming the gospel and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel."

In 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, the gospel is the "good news" of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. In this age, therefore, there is a distinctive element to the content of the gospel which is called "the mystery of the gospel." (see Ephesians 6:19 Colossians 1:26-27; 4:3) This new revelation is that the Gentiles are fellow-heirs and fellow-members of the body, and fellow-partakers of the promise (Ephesians 3:6). Such equality, Jew and Gentile united together in one body was previously a mystery. (Ephesians 3:1-9) The distinct message of the Church is that Jews and Gentiles alike may believe the gospel and be united/baptized by one Spirit together into one body. (Ephesians 1:13; 1 Corinthians 12:13)

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, the gospel is the "good news" of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ.

Part of the Gospel is the death, burial & resurrection of Jesus the Christ. The foundation of the Good News is that The Christ came & was identified in the person of Jesus. Now resurrected and proven to be the Christ (who died for our sins, was buried and resurrected according to the [OT] Scriptures) we all know who we must believe in & obey as the ruler of heaven and earth.

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is the gospel of Jesus? Is it merely the news that he was born in a manger? Is it confined to the miracles and healing Jesus did while walking the earth? Maybe it's simply the news of his death and resurrection? Well, all of these things are a part of the gospel, but the good news that Jesus preached is much more "... Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God" (Mark 1:14). This is the gospel of Jesus. Nowadays many fail to preach the gospel of God's kingdom. Why? The bible teaches that Satan has deceived the whole world (Revelation 12:9). Jesus said that many would come preaching in his name and yet deceive many (Matthews 24:5). This is why pastors everywhere claim to be fulfilling the great commission (spreading the gospel all over the world), but never mention the coming of God's kingdom. Therefore, many people are deceived and have not heard the gospel of Jesus. Instead they hear and believe another gospel, which teaches that they are going to heaven. This is not the gospel of Jesus!

All over the bible, from the promise to Abraham in Genesis to the second coming of Jesus in Revelation, the Lord reveals that his kingdom will be on earth. This message is supposed to be good news to us, especially considering the condition of the world. We should be glad to know that God is going to straighten out the trouble and confusion that's presently in the world. Jesus even told us to pray for the fulfillment of his gospel, "Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven" (Matthew 6:10). Jesus also warned us to repent (turn from our sins) and be prepared for the coming of his kingdom. If we truly believe the gospel, then we will obey God's commandments. "...The unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God" (I Corinthians 6:9).

However, Jesus said the meek are blessed because they will inherit the earth (Matthew 5:5). Now why in the world would the meek want to inherit the earth if God is supposed to take us to heaven? Maybe the meek are not so blessed after all?! Yes, the meek are blessed because they will be on the earth, in God's kingdom. "...but the wicked shall not inhabit the earth" (Proverbs 10:30). Therefore, repent and believe the gospel (Mark 1:15). Jesus never promised to take us to heaven. As a matter of fact Jesus said that no man went up to heaven except he (speaking of himself) that came down from heaven (St. John 3:13). Jesus promised us we would dwell with him on the earth. That's right, Jesus is returning to establish the kingdom of God. If we have faith and obey him, we will rule with him on the earth, "And hast made us unto our God kings and priests; and we shall reign on the earth" (Revelation 5:10).

Myriads of people will give myriads of ideas as to what teh gospel of Jesus is. It will all depend on what they are focusing on.

But the gospel Jesus preached was purely a Jewish only gospel. He came to His own to announce the long awaited Kingdom promised to Israel had arrived (in th e person of the King). If they had accepted that, He would have still died under Pilate for the sins of the world, but when He arose He would hav vanquished HIs enemies and began the kingdom on earth as was often promised to happen. But that is moot because it was prophesied that Israel would reject Jesus at His first coming so we have history unfolding.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not so that this is "full detail."

As a King James only advocate, we can only expect this interpretation, but many think this is not the best translation:

ESV Luke 17:21 nor (a) will they say, 'Look, here it is!' or 'There!' for behold, the kingdom of God is in the midst of you."(1)

ESV Notes (Luk 17:21): Notes: (a) ver. 23, (1) Or within you, or within your grasp
NAS Luke 17:21 nor will (a) they say, 'Look, here it is!' or, 'There it is!' For behold, the kingdom of God is (1) in your midst."

NAS Notes (Luk 17:21): Notes: (1) Or, within you, (a) Luk 17:23
NET Luke 17:21 nor will they say, 'Look, here it is!' or 'There!' For indeed, the kingdom of God is (64) in your midst."(65)

NET Notes (Luk 17:21):

64 tn This is a present tense in the Greek text. In contrast to waiting and looking for the kingdom, it is now available.
65 tn This is a far better translation than "in you." Jesus would never tell the hostile Pharisees that the kingdom was inside them. The reference is to Jesus present in their midst. He brings the kingdom. Another possible translation would be "in your grasp." For further discussion and options, see D. L. Bock, Luke (BECNT), 2:1414–19
NIV Luke 17:21 nor will people say, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the kingdom of God is in your midst."(1)

NIV Notes (Luk 17:21): Notes: 1 Or is within you
The concern for me is how much we spiritualize the Kingdom vs. how much we understand that the earth and Heaven - to which He has been granted all authority - is all His and He has commanded that His people make the nations aware of this & teach them all He commands.

Jesus is using the word "you" in the generic sense. He is not saying that the kingdom of God is within the Pharisees and they are thus saved. He is just stating that the kingdom of God in an internal and invisible kingdom of the heart and spirit and is not one (at least now) that has any outward appearance.

The King's true subjects have the Kingdom in their hearts, which presumably did not include those Pharisees, so 'within you' would be a generic statement."

Source used:
Another King James Bible Believer

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

1 Cor 15:2-4 Christ died for your sins, was buried & rose on the 3rd day.

1 Thes 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

Where in the kingdom message do I find Christ's salvations death & resurrection foundational truth message?

BTW Messiah/Christ wasn't promised to gentiles. Pre-resurrection gentiles had no relationship with God.

Eph 2:
11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;

12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

Additional help:
Though told the apostles did not understand that Messiah was going to die or rise from the dead. (Matt 16:21-22, Lk 18:33-34, & Jn 20:9)

Messiah's, earthly/walk, fleshly/ministry. Was to and only to the Jews = the circumcision.

Matt 10:5 Messiah sent forth the 12 & commanded them. To not go the Gentiles or into any city of the Samaritans
(NOTE: Samaritans were Jewish descendants from Ephraim and the half-tribe of Manasseh. They had inter married & were considered 1/2 breeds by the Jews. Jesus say's DON'T go to GENTILES)

6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
(NOTE: Messiah is sent, & sends his disciples to, the lost sheep of the ""House of Israel"")

Matt 15:24 Messiah answered & said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
(NOTE: Messiah say's; He has been sent, ONLY, to the lost sheep of the ""House of Israel"")

Rom 15:8 I say that Messiah was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:
(NOTE: Messiah came to preach to the circumcision (Jews only) & to fulfil promises made to the circumcision's fathers, NOT GENTILES)

Acts 10:28 Peter said unto them, Ye know how that it is an """unlawful""" thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean
(NOTE: Peter tells Cornelius a gentile. It's UNLAWFUl for a Jew to keep company with a gentile)

Pre-cross, Jews often referred to Gentiles as "dogs". (See Matt 7:6; Lk 16:21) To include the Lord Himself (Matt 15:26)

Gentiles were considered so ungodly, being in their presence could make a Jew ceremonially unclean (Jn 18:28)

Broad brushing gentiles into Jesus pre-death & resurrection kingdom message is unscriptural. Pease JJ
The Gospel message of Jesus Christ was to go out to the Gentiles after the promised Holy Spirit had came, and/or they now were, all of them now, or after that, (at Pentecost, etc) (after Jesus died, and rose from the dead, and was resurrected and ascended, etc) they were, all of them now, all now reconciled to Him or that One (God in and of the OT) in one body now, or the same equal standing and equal treatment by that One now, all with a "potential" "new beginning", etc, through the good news Gospel message of Jesus Christ, the One who had done all of this for them, and potentially saved them, etc, and potentially saved them all, if they would only believe, and have faith, and follow after all the truths of "real Love" (Agape Love) which includes that "thou shalt not do any wrong or harm, to anyone, even and/or especially including ones own self at all, ever", etc, and treat everyone in a loving and kind and generous and liberal way, etc, and with respect, etc, which is/was a vital part of the very first and most original and true commandments that were from the very beginning, etc...

A way in which sin should not be, if your truly doing all of this right, etc...

But as it stands, with almost none doing this, and with almost none knowing this, sin still remains, etc...

And I would say, even most especially still remains, among some of the most "religious" and "supposedly most devout" ones among us all, still, etc...

Most especially in that group, etc...

And even very much more so in that group, than those whom they (that group) would seek to condemn (all the others), etc...

And Jesus knows this, and still knows this, etc, and will have it mind upon His return, etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The Gospel was or is "a lot", but in short, it is everything that Jesus did in reconciling us with them (the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) (but most of all, most especially the Spirit, etc), anyway, the Gospel is "that", but and/or also, is also all of what Jesus did, in handing us all the key(s) (to the Kingdom) to able to truly know them, and know all of them, etc, and have a close intimate personal relationship with them, for that is what the Kingdom is, etc...

But if you don't know Love, then your not even close to having any of this, and/or also "not even close" in truly knowing them, or having any kind of real deep personal intimate relationship with them, etc...

"Not even close", etc...

And, in fact, your probably so very, very far off and away, that you probably shouldn't even be speaking, let alone be trying to teach anybody anything...

Anyway,

God Bless!

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is using the word "you" in the generic sense. He is not saying that the kingdom of God is within the Pharisees and they are thus saved. He is just stating that the kingdom of God in an internal and invisible kingdom of the heart and spirit and is not one (at least now) that has any outward appearance.

The King's true subjects have the Kingdom in their hearts, which presumably did not include those Pharisees, so 'within you' would be a generic statement."

Source used:
Another King James Bible Believer

That would certainly be one perspective used to back up the KJB & others that prefer the "within you" translation.

There are other more literal translations as I've shown. Either way, some of your points are valid & well presented. The King and His Kingdom are pretty much interchangeable in most respects.

I do think it's worthy of consideration that the Kingdom can be seen in His subjects who obey Him. I also think it's worthy of consideration that His Kingship and Kingdom is presented in the Great Commission where all authority is said to have been granted to Him and He commands His to go teach the nations all He commands (a clause that many seem to like to drop). And then there's the concept of His Ekklesia being His body on earth indwelt by Him with Him being the head of the body. And then there's Paul's Apostleship to bring all the nations to Faith-Obedience. IOW, do we really have our commissioned task correct in this time of the [false] gospel you (and I) oppose?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That would certainly be one perspective used to back up the KJB & others that prefer the "within you" translation.

There are other more literal translations as I've shown. Either way, some of your points are valid & well presented. The King and His Kingdom are pretty much interchangeable in most respects.

I believe the KJB is the Word of God for 30 reasons.
You can check out them out in this thread here:

30 reasons why the KJB is the divine and pure Word of God for today

You said:
I do think it's worthy of consideration that the Kingdom can be seen in His subjects who obey Him. I also think it's worthy of consideration that His Kingship and Kingdom is presented in the Great Commission where all authority is said to have been granted to Him and He commands His to go teach the nations all He commands (a clause that many seem to like to drop). And then there's the concept of His Ekklesia being His body on earth indwelt by Him with Him being the head of the body. And then there's Paul's Apostleship to bring all the nations to Faith-Obedience.

I agree.

You said:
IOW, do we really have our commissioned task correct in this time of the [false] gospel you (and I) oppose?

Not sure what you mean by this question.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Understanding just what Luke 17:21 means is interesting. First, there's the question of what /entos/ means. Louw and Nida says "position within an area determined by other objects and distributed among such objects—‘among, with.’" However there are uses of the word in the LXX that would support the idea that it's inward. (i'm following the Anchor Bible commentary here.) There's also a suggestion in contemporary documents that it could be "within your grasp." Which is correct it a bit unclear.

Then we have to look at the question he was answering:

"20 Once Jesus was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God was coming, and he answered, “The kingdom of God is not coming with things that can be observed; 21 nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or ‘There it is!’ For, in fact, the kingdom of God is among you.” "

This is certainly consistent with an inward / outward distinction. But it's also consistent with the concept that the Kingdom is present with Jesus, or less specifically, that it's present now, and so they're looking in all the wrong places. I prefer that understanding simply because Jesus' normal teaching isn't that the Kingdom is purely internal.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Understanding just what Luke 17:21 means is interesting. First, there's the question of what /entos/ means. Louw and Nida says "position within an area determined by other objects and distributed among such objects—‘among, with.’" However there are uses of the word in the LXX that would support the idea that it's inward. (i'm following the Anchor Bible commentary here.) There's also a suggestion in contemporary documents that it could be "within your grasp." Which is correct it a bit unclear.

Then we have to look at the question he was answering:

"20 Once Jesus was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God was coming, and he answered, “The kingdom of God is not coming with things that can be observed; 21 nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or ‘There it is!’ For, in fact, the kingdom of God is among you.” "

This is certainly consistent with an inward / outward distinction. But it's also consistent with the concept that the Kingdom is present with Jesus, or less specifically, that it's present now, and so they're looking in all the wrong places. I prefer that understanding simply because Jesus' normal teaching isn't that the Kingdom is purely internal.

You cannot have a kingdom without a King. Jesus is the head of the body of Christ or the bride. Jesus lives in all believers that makes up the kingdom. So when a believer does good, it is Christ working in them to do good (Philippians 2:13, John 15:5). I believe Jesus was speaking in a generic sense of how the Kingdom (i.e. Jesus) is to be within a person because it is Jesus who can potentially live inside of them. It's not a kingdom of pointing to here or there that they could see with their physical eyes. The Kingdom (Jesus) is to be within a person. Jesus said things like abide in me and my words, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you study Peter's sermon at Pentecost, you can see the more developed gospel of the kingdom which includes the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ now reigning from David's throne in Heavenly Jerusalem above.“And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build an house for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever.” 2 Samuel 7:12–13 (KJV 1900)

This means the kingdom exists since Christ's first advent before the resurrection on the last day, while David sleeps with his fathers.

Paul says;
“For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.” 1 Corinthians 15:25–26 (KJV 1900)
= he must rein until the resurrection on the last day.

Peter says;

“Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.” Acts 2:30–31 (KJV 1900)

“Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name. And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written, After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up: That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things. Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.” Acts 15:14–18 (KJV 1900)

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

While not meaning or desiring to open any confrontation or discussion re: the KJB, how do your resources explain the following:

KJV Colossians 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son

I looked at this some time ago & as I recall, it seemed to be the only (?) time Scripture tells us we've been translated/transferred into His Kingdom already. That is unless we push this to parallel His placing us in Christ, or into the reign of His Son (but these seem forced and I can think of arguments against them).

It's also the only time this Greek word is translated this way. If we look at how it is normally translated (even in the KJB), it can just as easily be translated as "removed us for," which would make it parallel to "delivered us from."

So, if we've been transferred/translated into His Son's Kingdom already, can we be thrown out? I can think of some verses to point to, to say yes.

Thoughts apart from just KJB advocacy?

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you study Peter's sermon at Pentecost, you can see the more developed gospel of the kingdom which includes the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ now reigning from David's throne in Heavenly Jerusalem above

Which is very similar to how Paul taught & evangelized in Acts 13 and how he speaks in 1Cor15 re: the vital importance of the resurrection proving Jesus to be the Christ - which is Paul's foundational point - and the point Peter makes at Pentecost by also discussing the [death, burial and] resurrection:

NKJ Acts 2:36 "Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ."

Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What is the gospel of Jesus? Is it merely the news that he was born in a manger? Is it confined to the miracles and healing Jesus did while walking the earth? Maybe it's simply the news of his death and resurrection? Well, all of these things are a part of the gospel, but the good news that Jesus preached is much more "... Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God" (Mark 1:14). This is the gospel of Jesus. Nowadays many fail to preach the gospel of God's kingdom. Why? The bible teaches that Satan has deceived the whole world (Revelation 12:9). Jesus said that many would come preaching in his name and yet deceive many (Matthews 24:5). This is why pastors everywhere claim to be fulfilling the great commission (spreading the gospel all over the world), but never mention the coming of God's kingdom. Therefore, many people are deceived and have not heard the gospel of Jesus. Instead they hear and believe another gospel, which teaches that they are going to heaven. This is not the gospel of Jesus!

All over the bible, from the promise to Abraham in Genesis to the second coming of Jesus in Revelation, the Lord reveals that his kingdom will be on earth. This message is supposed to be good news to us, especially considering the condition of the world. We should be glad to know that God is going to straighten out the trouble and confusion that's presently in the world. Jesus even told us to pray for the fulfillment of his gospel, "Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven" (Matthew 6:10). Jesus also warned us to repent (turn from our sins) and be prepared for the coming of his kingdom. If we truly believe the gospel, then we will obey God's commandments. "...The unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God" (I Corinthians 6:9).

However, Jesus said the meek are blessed because they will inherit the earth (Matthew 5:5). Now why in the world would the meek want to inherit the earth if God is supposed to take us to heaven? Maybe the meek are not so blessed after all?! Yes, the meek are blessed because they will be on the earth, in God's kingdom. "...but the wicked shall not inhabit the earth" (Proverbs 10:30). Therefore, repent and believe the gospel (Mark 1:15). Jesus never promised to take us to heaven. As a matter of fact Jesus said that no man went up to heaven except he (speaking of himself) that came down from heaven (St. John 3:13). Jesus promised us we would dwell with him on the earth. That's right, Jesus is returning to establish the kingdom of God. If we have faith and obey him, we will rule with him on the earth, "And hast made us unto our God kings and priests; and we shall reign on the earth" (Revelation 5:10).
The gospel is the good news [good-spell] and that good news is God. Christ restores us to the gospel through his death and resurrection. Salvation and forgiveness are a part of the good news as is his kingdom but they are not the goal. The goal is God and we are tasked to spread this gospel, his glory, every chance we get.

Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The gospel is the good news [good-spell] and that good news is God. Christ restores us to the gospel through his death and resurrection. Salvation and forgiveness are a part of the good news as is his kingdom but they are not the goal. The goal is God and we are tasked to spread this gospel, his glory, every chance we get.

Yes, that is a part of it. Jesus says in Matthew 13: 44 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.

Upvote 0