✟1,718,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Building off of my last thread...

The glory of God is the most important thing.

True or false?

I say true, and if you think it’s false, hopefully I’ll be able to convince you otherwise.

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟83,580.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

True or false?

I say true, and if you think it’s false, hopefully I’ll be able to convince you otherwise.
Only man can truly glorify God, the glorifying through free will. All other creatures glorify Him by instinct. There would be no real glory without man. Because of this, man's ability to glorify is equally important.

Psalm 8

The LORD’S Glory and Man’s Dignity.

For the choir director; on the Gittith. A Psalm of David.

1O LORD, our Lord,
How majestic is Your name in all the earth,
Who have displayed Your splendor above the heavens!
2From the mouth of infants and nursing babes You have established strength
Because of Your adversaries,
To make the enemy and the revengeful cease.

3When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,
The moon and the stars, which You have ordained;

4What is man that You take thought of him,
And the son of man that You care for him?

5Yet You have made him a little lower than God,
And You crown him with glory and majesty!

6You make him to rule over the works of Your hands;
You have put all things under his feet,

7All sheep and oxen,
And also the beasts of the field,

8The birds of the heavens and the fish of the sea,
Whatever passes through the paths of the seas.

9O LORD, our Lord,
How majestic is Your name in all the earth!

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Only man can truly glorify God, the glorifying through free will. All other creatures glorify Him by instinct. There would be no real glory without man. Because of this, man's ability to glorify is equally important.

Psalm 8

The LORD’S Glory and Man’s Dignity.

For the choir director; on the Gittith. A Psalm of David.

1O LORD, our Lord,
How majestic is Your name in all the earth,
Who have displayed Your splendor above the heavens!
2From the mouth of infants and nursing babes You have established strength
Because of Your adversaries,
To make the enemy and the revengeful cease.

3When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,
The moon and the stars, which You have ordained;

4What is man that You take thought of him,
And the son of man that You care for him?

5Yet You have made him a little lower than God,
And You crown him with glory and majesty!

6You make him to rule over the works of Your hands;
You have put all things under his feet,

7All sheep and oxen,
And also the beasts of the field,

8The birds of the heavens and the fish of the sea,
Whatever passes through the paths of the seas.

9O LORD, our Lord,
How majestic is Your name in all the earth!
Your post implies that God needs man to be glorified. You should rethink that.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Yennora

2022 UPDATE: I regret any UNBIBLICAL posts I made.
Dec 31, 2016
Sydney
✟56,169.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think the problem with this question is implying that there exists a "most important thing".

God put his glory aside when he came between us and suffered to death for us. For God, it looks like us humans are more valuable than his glory.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I think the problem with this question is implying that there exists a "most important thing".

God put his glory aside when he came between us and suffered to death for us. For God, it looks like us humans are more valuable than his glory.
God never put His glory aside. That’s crazy talk.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
What is the glory of God? If E = mc2 then we can divide and conclude that...

Mass (m) = Energy (E/c2) And there are three varieties...

Natural E/c2 - All mass is basically cooled plasma, the sun is the visible form of E/c2
Mental E/c2 - Our thinking can produce creativeness, light, and good things
Spiritual E/c2 - E (motivation, warmth, love) / c2 (faith, hope, charity, joy)

The Natural E/c2 in the form of mass produces a gravity that attracts other objects
The Intellectual E/c2 produces a gravity that draws us to study
The Spiritual E/c2 also has a gravity that draws and makes religion attractive

I would imagine the glory of God as being a combination of the three. And judging the size of the universe, made up of a great deal of energy and light.

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Interesting thought.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What is the glory of God? If E = mc2 then we can divide and conclude that...

Mass (m) = Energy (E/c2) And there are three varieties...

Natural E/c2 - All mass is basically cooled plasma, the sun is the visible form of E/c2
Mental E/c2 - Our thinking can produce creativeness, light, and good things
Spiritual E/c2 - E (motivation, warmth, love) / c2 (faith, hope, charity, joy)

The Natural E/c2 in the form of mass produces a gravity that attracts other objects
The Intellectual E/c2 produces a gravity that draws us to study
The Spiritual E/c2 also has a gravity that draws and makes religion attractive

I would imagine the glory of God as being a combination of the three. And judging the size of the universe, made up of a great deal of energy and light.
You can imagine, but scripture is better. We can use creation to show God’s glory (Psalms 19:1, for example). But we shouldn’t compare Him to creation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

True or false?

God is the most important thing, not our glorification of Him. He does not need our praise and worship; these things aren't necessary or vital to His well-being. Whether we glorify Him or not, God is still entirely, perfectly God. The entire universe, however, depends moment-by-moment upon Him. If He ceases to exist, then so does everything else. This is how important God is to all things. Our glorification of Him, then, is valuable for us; it is the purpose for which, ultimately, we were made. But, God could exist totally undiminished if none of us ever glorified Him.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Mathetes66
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

True or false?

When you bring up God being glorified, the first thing I think about is >

"For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren." (Romans 8:29)

So, from this I see that God is glorified by changing us into the image of Jesus. And being conformed to Jesus Christ's image, I would say, is God's main focus of how God has predestined us. So, yes, God being glorified like this is the most important. And, of course, this is not what we do, but God does this, in us.

Only man can truly glorify God, the glorifying through free will.
Among creatures, this is true, I think.

But Jesus, not a creature, has been glorifying God so much more than humans can. Jesus is all glorifying of God. So, I see that God has been glorifying Himself, by how He has been changing us into the image of Jesus and has us submitting to how He rules us in His peace > Colossians 3:15 > while loving any and all people the way Jesus says for us to love.

We do not get ourselves to do this >

"for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13)

From this, I see that we do not get our own wills to choose what God really wants. But we need how God in us changes us in our wills so then with Him we will what He works our willing to do. So, the glory is to Him, if we choose what He really wants.

But, if someone in one's own free will makes gestures which are supposed to glorify God > our own self-produced free will gestures do not glorify Him. We need to will and do what God's peace in our "hearts" rules us to do >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

And we honor Him, by becoming more gentle and humble like Jesus, and all-loving the way God wants, and relating as His Family >

"I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace." (Ephesians 4:1-3)

"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you." (Ephesians 4:31-32)

So, included, is how we forgive one another "even as God". We glorify Him, by doing things His way, including >

"And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma." (Ephesians 5:2)

I would say this is better than what we tend to do humanly in our own free wills. So, we glorify God by submitting to how He changes our wills so we are living and loving in sharing with Him.

So @Hammster > if this is what you mean by glorifying God, I agree that this is most important.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe God created the human race for the purpose of revealing his glorious divine attributes against the backdrop of sin. Sin makes mercy visible. It makes all of the divine attributes visible. Love, wrath, sovereignty, goodness, justice, and more. So the epitome of God's glory is in Christ fulfilling the Two Great Commandments on the cross. In Christ God reveals his grace and mercy taking the just punishment for our sins upon himself. And his unconditional love praying for the forgiveness of enemies as they wrenched the last drop of blood from his body.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

I notice that the thread is about the glory of God, and the first few responses were about glorifying God. It should be noted that those two things are not the same.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0