• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

The Gift of Tongues

Discussion in 'Charismatic Catholic Renewal' started by hsilgne, May 12, 2016.

1. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+12,726
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    [​IMG]

MOD HAT ON

This thread has had a clean up.
    If your post is missing, it was because it was in violation of the rules, or responding to a violation.

Please note that this thread is in the charismatic Catholic forum, and non-Catholics may not post against Catholic teaching.
    MOD HAT OFF​

2. Bob Crowley

Bob Crowley Well-Known Member Supporter

+431
    Australia
    Catholic
    Married
    I'm just posting here out of idle Catholic curiosity. I sometimes get this sense I should got to a Catholic Charismatic Church. It's a bit of a drive on a Friday night, but still...

I haven't spoken in tongues, never having been fully involved in the charismatic movement. Way back in my Protestant days, I did go a couple of times to a Protestant church with a strong charismatic flavour. One night when I was there I seemed to feel something coming over me, and I wondered if I was on the verge of speaking in tongues then. But I'd also had a battle with demonic influences in the preceding months and years, and I had no intention of letting something else control or invade my mind, in any shape or form.

So I resisted it. Now I don't have a problem with "speaking in tongues" per se, but it would seem to make a lot more sense to me if someone was "interpreting" it. As a mere observer, it doesn't do much for me. I've heard members of a local Catholic prayer group speak in tongues from time to time, but as I said without any interpretation or edification I find it doesn't mean much. It's just an external phenomena from my point of view.

So if I do go to a Catholic charismatic service where others are speaking in tongues, what should my attitude be?

3. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,071
    Christian
    Single
    Might be interesting to take an interpreter with you...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  4. Open Heart

Open Heart Well-Known Member

+4,322
    United States
    Seeker
    Celibate
    All you have to do to be a Charismatic is to believe that the miraculous gift of the spirit, such as healing, still exist today.

Relaxed, open, joyful! Encounter Christ. Don't feel pressured to speak in tongues. It doesn't happen for everyone. Paul says it is the least of the gifts.

5. Alithis

Alithis Disciple of Jesus .

+2,130
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    there is no scripture telling us to "be charismatic " rather it tells us to be "Filled with the Spirit " all the abilities (for the correct word is abilities not :"gifts" ) are for the edifying of the body and the work of the gospel. seeking it for the sake of having it could be viewed as a prideful motivation and even a for of idolatry . as the old saying goes ,seek the giver to know him, not just to get his gifts .

not every one who speaks in tongues walks in truth because to have the holy Spirit of truth but not walk in obedience to him but to cling to ones own sinful ways ,is to live in rebellion .holy Spirit not withstanding .
    the initial receiving of the holy Spirit with evidence of tongues - is NOT an automatic validation of everything that person says and does . If what they teach and/or do ,is in opposition to the written word, then they are in sin no matter how "charismatic" they may appear on the outside . God cannot lie nor contradict nor surpass himself nor his own word .

6. GoldenKingGaze

GoldenKingGaze Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.

+273
    Australia
    Pentecostal
    Single
    AU-Liberals
    Tongues like many unseen blessings like angels, have an effect probably most take for granted. But behind the scenes it is vast. Even the wind blows due to the Holy Angels.

I petition and intercede in tongues. The latter I heard in another's interpretation.

One fellow, would at home, pray and interpret. I am a fool for not keeping contact with him.

You can ask for a language on top to ask the intercession of Mary.

I think tongues has strengthened me against poisons and illnesses.

I think tongues has been a reminder to me that that God is, and is within me. As a result of a nominal Christian upbringing sleeps lead me to forget and see things in a simple way, natural philosophy... but tongues just effects in favour of some more mental ascent and hopes.

7. Alithis

Alithis Disciple of Jesus .

+2,130
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    and this point i must exit this thread as i can have no part with what you have said of Mary ,no fellowship with it . .-unsubscribing

8. Open Heart

+4,322
    United States
    Seeker
    Celibate
    I'm trying to figure out what this sentence means.

Are you saying that you don't pray in tongues to Mary?

Are you saying that those who ask for Mary's intercessions don't ever pray in tongues?

9. GoldenKingGaze

+273
    Australia
    Pentecostal
    Single
    AU-Liberals
    I am saying that we can ask for the ability to ask Mary for intercession with a tongue.
    First the gift is prayer to God, then on top like Fr Faricy taught, it is then possible to ask for a tongue to pray the intercession of Mary Jesus mother.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  10. Open Heart

+4,322
    United States
    Seeker
    Celibate
    I'm still not understanding you. Too many dependent clauses.

11. GoldenKingGaze

+273
    Australia
    Pentecostal
    Single
    AU-Liberals
    Alright I refer to Fr Faricy SJ. We receive the gift of tongues and in this we can pray to God in the words the Spirit gives us that we do not understand. Fr taught us that after receiving this gift that he asked for more, that he could also pray for the intercession of Mary in tongues. I decided I would ask for this as well. I am not sure if there are two different unknown tongues or the same tongue. I do not understand the words. When interpreted I was at that moment praying the end of the our Father, "deliver us from evil" and a Catholic prayer, "Hail Holy Queen"...

12. Open Heart

+4,322
    United States
    Seeker
    Celibate
    Okay.

13. Righttruth

Righttruth Regular Member Supporter

+324
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Diverse tongues is a spiritual gift, not unknown tongues.

14. mark46

mark46 Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,870
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    That was a sad day.

There were so many prayer groups and conferences over the years.

Our prayer group was in Nashua, NH.

Yes, I remember the joint services at the end of conferences. I have never understood limiting the Grace of God by not allowing us to break bread together as Jesus taught. As I recall, there were also some Presbyterians at our conferences, also partaking. Surely, we should ALLOW the Holy Spirit to act in such situations. Of course, we end up keeping "others" out of communion, limiting the Grace of God.