Discussion The Gift of Interpretation (Read our rule-set before you post)

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
While writing in response to one of the regular posters on here about sign gifts to unbelievers, I decided to share my thoughts in a separate thread for discussion on this gift to the other regulars here.

The gift of interpretation operates corporately in human languages. This is well known amongst all denominations and non-denoms that are Spirit-filled. It's also very well documented in individual teachings on the subject within Christianity.

Some of these gifts can have rare operations to them though, and this gift is no different. The gift of tongues operates privately for the individual in prayer, and corporately speaking/singing for the local body. The singing aspect by The Holy Spirit being somewhat rare.

Guess what? The gift of interpretation can operate the same way, privately for the individual and corporately for the local body. What a lot of people don't understand are the more rare aspects of this particular gift.

- Do you know that a person operating corporately with this gift doesn't have to be speaking in their own language to the local body? This would obviously be in response to someone there who spoke additional languages beyond their own, who might be unsaved/unbeliever, as a sign to them. This happened over in Acts 2 by the way.

- Do you know that this gift can operate privately in the corporate assembly? This would only happen to a Spirit-filled believer, but this has been identified as happening to people within their church a few times on this forum.

For instance,... a person speaks/sings a message in tongues by The Holy Spirit before their local assembly. As this happens, a person nearby who spoke in a different language might hear the message in their own language privately by this gift as it was being spoken. This would be in addition to the interpretation that was to follow. Same thing could happen to a person speaking in their prayer tongue that someone else overheard. This gift could possibly interpret it privately for them.

Each of these gifts have some rare attributes to them, and we (including myself) really need to pursue their operation in our lives more.

• Informative
Reactions: hislegacy

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
- Do you know that a person operating corporately with this gift doesn't have to be speaking in their own language to the local body? This would obviously be in response to someone there who spoke additional languages beyond their own, who might be unsaved/unbeliever, as a sign to them. This happened over in Acts 2 by the way.

I got a bit confused by this paragraph. Can you explain again who is doing the tongue-speaking, who is doing the interpretation, and how Acts 2 is connected to all this?

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I got a bit confused by this paragraph. Can you explain again who is doing the tongue-speaking, who is doing the interpretation, and how Acts 2 is connected to all this?

No, because this thread will turn into another tongues thread. I'm trying to further the conversion on the interpretation gift.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, because this thread will turn into another tongues thread. I'm trying to further the conversion on the interpretation gift.

How can you talk about interpretation without a tongue to interpret?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While writing in response to one of the regular posters on here about sign gifts to unbelievers, I decided to share my thoughts in a separate thread for discussion on this gift to the other regulars here.

The gift of interpretation operates corporately in human languages. This is well known amongst all denominations and non-denoms that are Spirit-filled. It's also very well documented in individual teachings on the subject within Christianity.

Some of these gifts can have rare operations to them though, and this gift is no different. The gift of tongues operates privately for the individual in prayer, and corporately speaking/singing for the local body. The singing aspect by The Holy Spirit being somewhat rare.

Guess what? The gift of interpretation can operate the same way, privately for the individual and corporately for the local body. What a lot of people don't understand are the more rare aspects of this particular gift.

- Do you know that this gift can operate privately in the corporate assembly? This would only happen to a Spirit-filled believer, but this has been identified as happening to people within their church a few times on this forum.

For instance,... a person speaks/sings a message in tongues by The Holy Spirit before their local assembly. As this happens, a person nearby who spoke in a different language might hear the message in their own language privately by this gift as it was being spoken. This would be in addition to the interpretation that was to follow. Same thing could happen to a person speaking in their prayer tongue that someone else overheard. This gift could possibly interpret it privately for them.

Each of these gifts have some rare attributes to them, and we (including myself) really need to pursue their operation in our lives more.

Great observations -

Why do you think they are rare? Why doesn't the gift manifest more often?

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Great observations -

Why do you think they are rare? Why doesn't the gift manifest more often?

I believe it comes down to people who are creatures of habit and ones who are creatures of change.

If you are a person of habit, you don't go beyond the boundaries of what you know,.. unless you absolutely have to, especially with the gifts. That limits GOD big time. On the other hand, a person of change seeks out greater understanding of things they already know, and are open to further learning beyond that. That person probably has a great fellowship with GOD and learns all sorts of things beyond the others.

Why doesn't the gift manifest more often? Depends on the church and the church members. If you have a church that allows the gifts to manifest, that's great, now get the members to start pursuing holiness so that The Holy Spirit can be closer to you and operate the gifts through you more often.

That means more fasting, more bible reading, more prayer,... every day, every week. It comes down to holiness,... how clean spiritually are you? Are you a fleshly, carnal Christian coming to church on sunday or a Spiritual one?

Also, where is your mind at? Are you focused on your kids and grandkids all the time or GOD? Are you more involved with the world and it's politics or GOD? Who has your attention all the time, your wife or GOD?

Some people don't like letting go of their surroundings they've become comfortable with, but that is exactly why we don't see a strong church currently, and these gifts operating more in them. So yea, beyond tongues, most folks are not seeking more, even though scripture tells us to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟283,713.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The gift of interpretation operates corporately in human languages. T
Is there scripture for that? I'm unfamiliar with any.

That means more fasting, more bible reading, more prayer,... every day, every week. It comes down to holiness,... how clean spiritually are you?
Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't that like getting washed up to take a bath, or worse doing works of the flesh to try to get more spiritual? I'm not saying that any of that is wrong, but to make those requirements for the movement of the Spirit seems itself to be carnal to me. I could be wrong though.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't that like getting washed up to take a bath, or worse doing works of the flesh to try to get more spiritual? I'm not saying that any of that is wrong, but to make those requirements for the movement of the Spirit seems itself to be carnal to me. I could be wrong though.

1 Corinthians 3:1-4:

But I, brothers, could not address you as spiritual people, but as people of the flesh, as infants in Christ. 2 I fed you with milk, not solid food, for you were not ready for it. And even now you are not yet ready, 3 for you are still of the flesh. For while there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not of the flesh and behaving only in a human way? 4 For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not being merely human?

1 Corinthians 9:24-27

24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. 25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26 So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. 27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

Acts 13:1-3:

Now there were in the church at Antioch prophets and teachers, Barnabas, Simeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen a lifelong friend of Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. 2 While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” 3 Then after fasting and praying they laid their hands on them and sent them off.

Acts 6:1-6 (ESV):

Now in these days when the disciples were increasing in number, a complaint by the Hellenists arose against the Hebrews because their widows were being neglected in the daily distribution. 2 And the twelve summoned the full number of the disciples and said, “It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables. 3 Therefore, brothers, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty. 4 But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.” 5 And what they said pleased the whole gathering, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a proselyte of Antioch. 6 These they set before the apostles, and they prayed and laid their hands on them.

Luke 4:1-2,14-15

And Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the wilderness 2 for forty days, being tempted by the devil. And he ate nothing during those days. And when they were ended, he was hungry.

14 And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee, and a report about him went out through all the surrounding country. 15 And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified by all.

Matthew 26:71

41 Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

Matthew 9:15

15 And Jesus said to them, “Can the wedding guests mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them? The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast.

Revelation 3:14-22

14 “And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: ‘The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God's creation.

15 “‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! 16 So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. 17 For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. 19 Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. 21 The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’”

Ephesians 4:11-32:

11 And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, 12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, 13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, 14 so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. 15 Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, 16 from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.

The New Life
17 Now this I say and testify in the Lord, that you must no longer walk as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds. 18 They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart. 19 They have become callous and have given themselves up to sensuality, greedy to practice every kind of impurity. 20 But that is not the way you learned Christ!— 21 assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus, 22 to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, 23 and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, 24 and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.

25 Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another. 26 Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, 27 and give no opportunity to the devil. 28 Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need. 29 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. 32 Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Is there scripture for that? I'm unfamiliar with any.

You should look at the context of Acts 2,... why were people hearing different languages coming out of the newly converted Galatian folks when tongues is directed to GOD and not man?

We don't talk in tongues to people, so how were they hearing the mighty works of GOD in these different languages?

You should look up some history on different movements of GOD. The Assemblies of GOD, which I'm a member of, was brought about by the dedication of folks to GOD at Azuza street. Read what they were doing that caused that move of GOD. It wasn't just singing a few songs and then going out to eat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Since people are asking for examples on this,... and the only real example of this gift in operation is Acts 2,... I'll go ahead and lay out this event and point out the gifts operation. Again, I don't want this turning into another tongues thread.

To understand Acts 2 and this gifts operation we must look at that section of scripture in the light of prophesying,...

Act 2:15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose; seeing it is but the third hour of the day;
Act 2:16 but this is that which hath been spoken by the prophet Joel;
Act 2:17 And it shall be in the last days, saith God, I will pour forth of my Spirit upon all flesh: And your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, And your young men shall see visions, And your old men shall dream dreams:
Act 2:18 Yea and on my servants and on my handmaidens in those days Will I pour forth of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy.

This cannot be ignored. It is only by understanding it through the lens of prophesying that we truly know what happened during this event by GOD.

Prophesying comes by two different ways,.. by tongues with interpretation in the assembly, or by the gift of prophesying, whether in the assembly or private. These two events are equal together as prophesying, as scripture says,..

1Co 14:5 Now I would have you all speak with tongues, but rather that ye should prophesy: and greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

When the gifts were poured out and the 120 started speaking in tongues, this was by utterance of The Holy Spirit,....

Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Hence, this was not the private use of the gift of praying in tongues, this was The Holy Spirit's use of the gift of speaking in tongues, so this event became a corporate setting where interpretation had to follow the tongues each time,..... which then became prophesying fulfilling the section of scripture that Peter quoted.

What was different about this type of interpretation, was that instead of the newborn disciples interpreting in their own dialect, they began speaking different human languages by this gift as a sign, ie a sign to unbelievers, and it eventually ended up with 3,000 new people being saved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟283,713.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You should look at the context of Acts 2,... why were people hearing different languages coming out of the newly converted Galatian folks when tongues is directed to GOD and not man?
I'm not fully convinced the speakers were speaking in known languages here. I don't think that it's clear one way or the other in the text.

You should look up some history on different movements of GOD. The Assemblies of GOD, which I'm a member of, was brought about by the dedication of folks to GOD at Azuza street. Read what they were doing that caused that move of GOD. It wasn't just singing a few songs and then going out to eat.
While I agree that the more we turn our hearts to God, the more receptive we are to His moving, I don't like the one size fits all, "5 Steps to Get God to Move," methodology. I've noticed in my life that it mostly opens the door for The Accuser to shut down God's moving. I'll never read my Bible, or pray, or fast, or sacrifice enough, so that if I'm relying on my own works of seeking, I'll never rest in faith and receive God's hand in faith, or as a fruit of my own labor. If I place no faith in my own seeking and just seek without qualifications, I can expect Him to show because He loves me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not fully convinced the speakers were speaking in known languages here. I don't think that it's clear one way or the other in the text.

While I agree that the more we turn our hearts to God, the more receptive we are to His moving, I don't like the one size fits all, "5 Steps to Get God to Move," methodology. I've noticed in my life that it mostly opens the door for The Accuser to shut down God's moving. I'll never read my Bible, or pray, or fast, or sacrifice enough, so that if I'm relying on my own works of seeking, I'll never rest in faith and receive God's hand in faith, or as a fruit of my own labor. If I place no faith in my own seeking and just seek without qualifications, I can expect Him to show because He loves me.

It would probably be better for you and I to agree to disagree and move on rather than muck up the thread.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟283,713.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It would probably be better for you and I to agree to disagree and move on rather than muck up the thread.
I'm good with that. Nice discussing it with you, for as long as we both had input. Thanks for listening, as it were, to my view.

Reactions: ARBITER01
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Bringing this thread back up to address an issue.

There are some folks that believe tongues can interpret by themselves apart from the gift of interpretation,... this is incorrect. These two gifts are inter-linked for the proper understanding of what is said.

If a person overhears a person praying in tongues, and they suddenly start understanding what that person is saying,..... it wasn't the person praying in a known language, it was the gift of interpretation operating to bring about understanding of the prayer.

It's really that simple.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The thread is about the gift of interpretation.

Well we need to make sure its written and not imply what that verse or chapter was really saying. I can pray in the spirit and sing in the spirit (tongues) with the understanding also. I believe every believer can do this. When it comes to the sweet sweet holy Spirit we really need to be careful with what how we say things.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Well we need to make sure its written and not imply what that verse or chapter was really saying. I can pray in the spirit and sing in the spirit (tongues) with the understanding also. I believe every believer can do this. When it comes to the sweet sweet holy Spirit we really need to be careful with what how we say things.

This would be scriptural,...

1Co 14:12 So also ye, since ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may abound unto the edifying of the church.
1Co 14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in a tongue pray that he may interpret.
1Co 14:14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
1Co 14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
1Co 14:16 Else if thou bless with the spirit, how shall he that filleth the place of the unlearned say the Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he knoweth not what thou sayest?

A believer can be praying by the spirit and the gift of interpretation can either operate as the praying is happening, or The Holy Spirit can provide a separate utterance of the gift of interpretation afterwards. Either way, it is scriptural for this to happen, but not the norm for most Christians.

If you think about it, to have your prayer language interpreted provides a much greater edification than just the praying alone. It would be similar to the edification that the corporate body receives from The Holy Spirit when He provides an utterance of those gifts.

I'll contact you by PM, I'm interested to know more and have questions about this. It's nice to run into someone who actually has both gifts operating like this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0