✟14,801.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Hi Family,

How does one get the gift of discerning of spirits?

What is it used for?

How can you become more sensitive to the move of the Spirit in this gift?

Does it naturally accompany other gifts?

~Natsumi Lam~
You don't get it, your given it by the Holy Spirit. You either accept the gift or reject it. The choice is yours. It's used to discern good from evil Hebrews 5:14 and discern truth from lies.(false doctrine) If you have a close relationship with the Holy Spirit and you trust God, all is well regarding becoming sensitive to this gift. You can have more than one gift. It depends on what God allows you to have.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟830,504.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The popular view of the gift of discerning of spirits is to detect demon activity. But that is only one aspect of it. I believe that it is a supernatural gift that reveals to someone what spirit a person is of, or what spirit is moving in a meeting. It does not have to be negative, A person with the gift can detect a good spirit in a person and be able to encourage that person in the Lord. He can discern that the Holy Spirit is moving in a meeting, or that a prophecy coming from the Holy Spirit, But then he could detect that the prophecy, word of knowledge etc., could be coming from the person's own spirit and not from the Holy Spirit.

A person could preach a sermon and say he wasn't sure whether it was in the Spirit or not. A person with the gift of discerning of Spirit could detect that it was really in the Spirit and be able to encourage the preacher. With another preacher, he could detect that although it might not be from the Holy Spirit, it might be from that person's loving and encouraging spirit.

He can discern that a fellow believer has a peaceful, gentle, patient, king, faithful, self-controlled, loving, joyful spirit. So the gift is there is provide comfort, encouragement and the building up of believers.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
One sign your among evil, is you get sick to your stomach.
At least this has happened to me, I enjoy Antiques so there are some shops my Wife and I leave quickly.
At first my Wife did not disern it, one time in a flea market she got out to the open and said somthing made her sick in there.
Through the years I have become aware of things and do not get sick as much , but I head for the door with my Wife leading the way.
I have learned that you need to be careful with antiques, diserning what you are buying is critical.
I recently threw 3 serving platters away from the 1700s .
Found them by themselves in a going out of business sale.
They were under a shelf on the floor tucked into a corner.
I researched and found incomplete sets and realised they were dated by the import date ,rather than the date they were made.
I threw them so hard into a dumpster they should have shattered in a million peices ,the only sound was that of the plates clamoring a bit.
I did not check, but if I were to bet they remained intact.
They were worth a lot ,I could have had bidders calling in droves, money is not worth risking Hell for.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have learned that you need to be careful with antiques, diserning what you are buying is critical.
You never said what was particularly demonic about your serving platters.
Was there some questionable inscription?
If not, what did you feel was tied to them?

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
You never said what was particularly demonic about your serving platters.
Was there some questionable inscription?
If not, what did you feel was tied to them?

I would rather not say, it may cause discourse

No I did not feel tied to them, angry is the way I felt.
Picking for years to find somthing like this and have it be demonic was a bummer.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟945,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I endured a horrific spiritual battle for over a year. Well-meaning friends attempted to help but their methods were counterproductive and made matters worse. I was conversant in most major religions through practice or study save Islam. I'd reconciled my uncertainty regarding God and Christ through attendance at a Conservative synagogue. Some topics remained unclear until the problems began.

However, I was also aware of spiritual presences before it occurred but not to the same degree or clarity. I would have pointed dreams or feel disquieted within certain company. I had an inner sense of knowing but I don't attribute that to the gift. The differences are striking.

I experience spiritual phenomenon through several senses. I can detect their presence through smell, hearing, and physical space. I hear their words as clear as human voices. Some have attempted to show themselves but the Lord has not permitted it. I have seen something in the past and that is the lone instance. It is the sort of thing that's emblazoned in ones memory and I have never sought its return nor do I seek the same with angelic presences. I do not look for them.

I have found the gift often works in tandem with knowledge, understanding and wisdom. There are instances when my knowing is strong or I've been given a message to share with a specific person. It is commonplace for some to be subject to trickery from the Evil One. They would often pretend to be the Holy Spirit but I became more adept at recognizing their deception as time wore on. Knowing the Word of God is paramount as they'll often quote scriptures. But I've found most discussions are pointed or my spirit is unsettled.

In like fashion, I have physical signs when a benevolent presence is near though I have never sought to name it. I lean on James's words and look heavenward in these instances. This is usually accompanied by a burning sensation or a sharp zolt (which reminds me of a shock) on rare instances. It usually takes place in my head but I've also had similar experiences in my chest. It's always warm. Not scorching but warmer than body heat and very comforting.

My engagement with spiritual phenomenon occurs in verbal, physical, and written exchanges. There have been instances when I've felt uncomfortable with something I've read or noted that something's off. While I usually know the demonic spirit involved and will name it if led to do so. I believe grace is foremost when dealing with others and myself. Leading with love is a must.

Spiritual warfare is a tool but it isn't the only one we possess. I am conscious of the information I take in and limit my exposure to nefarious materials and media. The most important aspect of this gift is remembering the battle is the Lord's not ours. I'm just His vessel.

• Informative
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a counterfeit gift of discerning of spirits too, that is a divination spirit. It isn't based on Truth but only on spiritual experiences. Since those who have that counterfeit gift is seeing the spirits from the eyes of that spirit, they will see false light as if it's from God and be deceived
Excellent point.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree it is a good sign in cases. I think that is why we need to train our sensitivity so that we can determine the health of a person spiritually.
There are at least 2 different kinds of discernment in the NT. THe OP is asking about the one in 1 Cor 12.

You are talking about the other one, which is not a gift of the spirit but a fruit tht grows. They have different functions. The gift is one of revelation, not unlike prophecy or words of knowledge and wisdom. The fruit is something that is grown into over time and comes from a lengthy learning process.

Hebrews 5:14
But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you train yourself to become more sensitive after the gift?
We have a WAAAYYY to much of an individualistic idea of Christianity. No one is supposed to train themselves. We are to be discipled by others. That includes the use of the gifts. It is part of Paul saying for one to prophesy and the others to judge.

• Winner
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The popular view of the gift of discerning of spirits is to detect demon activity. But that is only one aspect of it. I believe that it is a supernatural gift that reveals to someone what spirit a person is of, or what spirit is moving in a meeting. It does not have to be negative, A person with the gift can detect a good spirit in a person and be able to encourage that person in the Lord. He can discern that the Holy Spirit is moving in a meeting, or that a prophecy coming from the Holy Spirit, But then he could detect that the prophecy, word of knowledge etc., could be coming from the person's own spirit and not from the Holy Spirit.

A person could preach a sermon and say he wasn't sure whether it was in the Spirit or not. A person with the gift of discerning of Spirit could detect that it was really in the Spirit and be able to encourage the preacher. With another preacher, he could detect that although it might not be from the Holy Spirit, it might be from that person's loving and encouraging spirit.

He can discern that a fellow believer has a peaceful, gentle, patient, king, faithful, self-controlled, loving, joyful spirit. So the gift is there is provide comfort, encouragement and the building up of believers.
I believe all of that falls into the Hebrews 5 discernment, not the 1 Cor 12 discernment the OP was asking about.

See Post 48.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,449,767.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Discernment of spirits is not some kind of guess and hunch about other people.

It is the gift of accurately detecting the presence of an evil spirit by direct spiritual sensation and explicitly identifying the spirit.

The gift of discernment is like having an X-ray to see a broken bone instead of deducing a person has a broken bone by the way he acts.

We should all mature to the point of identifying the presence of evil by its fruit. People with the gift of discernment can actually see or hear or smell or some other way directly observe the spirit.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟830,504.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I believe all of that falls into the Hebrews 5 discernment, not the 1 Cor 12 discernment the OP was asking about.

See Post 48.
Frankly, there is a lot of guesswork in trying to define Discerning of Spirits. Paul does not actually definite it, nor does he give any instructions on how to use it and what it is actually used for. First Century Christians knew more about it, and Paul obviously had the attitude that because the churches knew all about it and were doing it correctly, he didn't need to say anything about it in the letters he wrote.

But over the centuries, the church has lost the "instruction book" through lack of use. So we can only guess about how to use it, and in any cases, the guess is imperfect. Hence the debates about it.

Upvote 0

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟202,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Frankly, there is a lot of guesswork in trying to define Discerning of Spirits. Paul does not actually definite it, nor does he give any instructions on how to use it and what it is actually used for. First Century Christians knew more about it, and Paul obviously had the attitude that because the churches knew all about it and were doing it correctly, he didn't need to say anything about it in the letters he wrote.

But over the centuries, the church has lost the "instruction book" through lack of use. So we can only guess about how to use it, and in any cases, the guess is imperfect. Hence the debates about it.

The Gift of Discerning of Spirits is not a gift that we need instruction for. This Gift is automatic. When one has this gift, they have to hold tight unto The Lord and depend fully on Him. A constant regrouping is needed because what is perceived can be overwhelming at times.This is done by prayer and asking The Lord to restore your soul as David did. This Gift discerns the evil and The Good. Or to be more specific demons; weather in the body or out, or The Presence of The Lord weather in the body or out. How this occurs when I am in public, if I run into a truly born again Christian, I immediatly am in The Spirit, and my continence changes to a joy unspeakable. You see, The Spirit bears witness to The Spirit. I have also heard many people say that they were Christian and yet The Spirit did not bear witness to them and my continence did not change. On the other hand I get a spiritual headache when a demon is near, weather inside a person or just passing by. It is a directional spiritual headache, so it is known where they are. With me personally, I do not like calling them gifts(even though they are), to me they are Him(The Holy Spirit) in me, and all Glory and Honor goes to Him , and Him alone. I know I am not worthy of the measure of Grace I have been given. I hope this shed some light on this subject since not much has been written about it. So now that you know Oscar, perhaps it might explain some of the words that I have already spoken.

• Informative
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟830,504.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The Gift of Discerning of Spirits is not a gift that we need instruction for. This Gift is automatic. When one has this gift, they have to hold tight unto The Lord and depend fully on Him. A constant regrouping is needed because what is perceived can be overwhelming at times.This is done by prayer and asking The Lord to restore your soul as David did. This Gift discerns the evil and The Good. Or to be more specific demons; weather in the body or out, or The Presence of The Lord weather in the body or out. How this occurs when I am in public, if I run into a truly born again Christian, I immediatly am in The Spirit, and my continence changes to a joy unspeakable. You see, The Spirit bears witness to The Spirit. I have also heard many people say that they were Christian and yet The Spirit did not bear witness to them and my continence did not change. On the other hand I get a spiritual headache when a demon is near, weather inside a person or just passing by. It is a directional spiritual headache, so it is known where they are. With me personally, I do not like calling them gifts(even though they are), to me they are Him(The Holy Spirit) in me, and all Glory and Honor goes to Him , and Him alone. I know I am not worthy of the measure of Grace I have been given. I hope this shed some light on this subject since not much has been written about it. So now that you know Oscar, perhaps it might explain some of the words that I have already spoken.
What you have done is to make up your own instructions how you think the gift should be used, where the Bible is silent about it. You are contradicting yourself when you are saying that the gift does not need instructions on its use, and yet you go on to give instructions as to its use.

How does that work? :)

Upvote 0

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟202,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What you have done is to make up your own instructions how you think the gift should be used, where the Bible is silent about it. You are contradicting yourself when you are saying that the gift does not need instructions on its use, and yet you go on to give instructions as to its use.

How does that work? :)

I see no contradictions in the words written. You wanted to know how the gift works. That is how the gift works .It is used according to His will, not ours. If it is needed to see behind your words above(the intent of the heart) than it is seen. Have a Blessed Day!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟202,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see no contradictions in the words written. You wanted to know how the gift works. That is how the gift works .It is used according to His will, not ours. If it is needed to see behind your words above(the intent of the heart) than it is seen. Have a Blessed Day!

"And to rattle a cage(to see if one has the goods) there first must be a cage."

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your testimony of how the gift manifests for you seems unique to me. I have not heard of anyone else with quite that level of intensity. Similar manifestations of less intensity, I am familiar with. I'm not discounting your testimony; I'm saying your experience may be more the exception than the rule.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟945,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Your testimony of how the gift manifests for you seems unique to me. I have not heard of anyone else with quite that level of intensity. Similar manifestations of less intensity, I am familiar with. I'm not discounting your testimony; I'm saying your experience may be more the exception than the rule.

I don't experience physical pain from demonic presences. I would get a sharp pain in the head during my spiritual battle but it left when I was delivered. The lone time I feel negative pressure is when I'm dealing with a very high demon. It is different from what I felt before and is very oppressive. Akin to a weight bearing down and the evil is turned up 1,000 decibels. This usually requires additional help.

It is true that spirits testify to the other. And discernment enables you to know if you're addressing a Christian or one who isn't. I don't have a physical experience when conversing with other believers. But if their words or behavior require my attention my head will burn in response. Sometimes it validates and other times I'm being warned.

I am aware of Satan's propensity to goad many who have the gift. This usually comes through the guise of spiritual warfare. Their desire to help others is sincere but very wearing. That's the purpose. Recollecting Josiah's error is important.

• Winner
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your testimony of how the gift manifests for you seems unique to me. I have not heard of anyone else with quite that level of intensity.
Indeed. While I do not often manifest this gift, I have on a few occasions; and it was more like the “still small voice” or a spiritual impression, same as in receiving a prophecy.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't experience physical pain from demonic presences. I would get a sharp pain in the head during my spiritual battle but it left when I was delivered. The lone time I feel negative pressure is when I'm dealing with a very high demon. It is different from what I felt before and is very oppressive. Akin to a weight bearing down and the evil is turned up 1,000 decibels. This usually requires additional help.

It is true that spirits testify to the other. And discernment enables you to know if you're addressing a Christian or one who isn't. I don't have a physical experience when conversing with other believers. But if their words or behavior require my attention my head will burn in response. Sometimes it validates and other times I'm being warned.

I am aware of Satan's propensity to goad many who have the gift. This usually comes through the guise of spiritual warfare. Their desire to help others is sincere but very wearing. That's the purpose. Recollecting Josiah's error is important.
Thanks for sharing that. It reminded me of the manifestation I get on my palms of heat or a gentle flame. Others can feel the heat if it is strong. The Lord brought healing to someone that was in the prayer line next to me when I prayed for his back pain. I interviewed him during the process and he reported a tremendous heat on his back. He arrived at the meeting walking with the assistance of a cane. After prayer he was swinging the cane over his head praising God.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0