The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Drinking is not a sin as long as it is done in moderation and responsibly. It is legal so we are not disobeying the law of the land.
I agree in part. Would you agree that if you saw an ‘underaged’ kid kid acting funny and smelling to high hell of liquor, that my judgment might be right concerning what kind of spirit he is entertaining?

Pot is legal in certain states and with a card. This is lawful so we are not disobeying the law of the land.
So with ‘that logic’ am I to assume you believe abortion to be OK? How about prostitution, since it’s legal in Lost Wages Nevada... along with gambling? I hope you’re seeing where I’m coming from.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
How do you believe or do you believe that Matt 10:13 has applicable content or context?

And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you.
If ‘a house’ looks fine but the Holy Spirit says go, or the house looks bad but the Holy spirit says stay, then seeing with your eyes would be deceiving.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I agree in part. Would you agree that if you saw an ‘underaged’ kid kid acting funny and smelling to high hell of liquor, that my judgment might be right concerning what kind of spirit he is entertaining?

So with ‘that logic’ am I to assume you believe abortion to be OK? How about prostitution, since it’s legal in Lost Wages Nevada... along with gambling? I hope you’re seeing where I’m coming from.

Wait what about abortion...it is absolutely wrong cuz it is murder. Murder is against God and the law.

Prostitution is fornication....against the Word and illegal.

Underage drinking is against the Word because it is against the law of the land for the US.

JW Where in the bible is balanced gambelling illegal? If gambling is illegal to the law of the land than yes.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Can you train yourself to become more sensitive after the gift?
No. But you can ask the Holy Spirit to train you. I ask Him often to teach me how to use my gifts. With discerning of spirits, I look at people and I see the demons in their eyes, face, bodies etc. And the Holy Spirit reveals what kind of spirit it is. Also, when I do deliverance, though it is all about the other person in that moment, God still uses the experience to teach me and train me.

The gift of discerning of spirits is the Holy Spirit revealing to what He sees. As with prophecy, that is God giving you something in that moment. So you can not use it on your own, but rather it is God who uses the gift for His purposes when you are relying on Him and not on yourself.

I would advice you to seek a much closer walk with Christ.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
112358 said:
Discerning spirits is one of the most often claimed "sign gifts", along with others that are impossible to prove or observe.
112358 said:
Those gifts were for a specific purpose and time and that purpose and time has long passed.
@Natsumi Lam , if you would have posted this thread in the Spiritual Gifts forum, you could have screened out these kinds of responses.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Discerning spirits is one of the most often claimed "sign gifts", along with others that are impossible to prove or observe. Those who claim to possess these gifts today are unable to demonstrate any of the others (healing, raising people from the dead, immunity from venom and/or poison, etc.) because in truth they do not possess any of the miraculous gifts found in the NT. Those gifts were for a specific purpose and time and that purpose and time has long passed. I welcome any empirical evidence suggesting otherwise, because it would absolutely be available if these things were happening today. That's why Jesus and His apostles were literally mobbed everywhere they went. That's why people literally broke through ceilings to get to them. You wouldn't be able to get within a mile of these people if they truly possessed these gifts.

I hope no one in disagreement takes offense as I mean none; simply stating another position/perspective.

Acts 16 Paul possessed the gift of discernment. Thats one.

Had the Holy Spirit, biblically been poured out on the disciples yet when they were starting to preach with Jesus?

If not how can you hold it against them for not having the gifts of the Spirit?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
What about this verse?

Acts 2:17-18 King James Version (KJV)
17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:
Which refers to Joel 2:28-31. This prophecy will happen shortly before the Day of the Lord, which is definitely now (the last days). So no one can say it was for only the 1st century.

"28. And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: 29. And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit. 30. And I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke. 31. The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the LORD come."

• Agree
Reactions: Natsumi Lam
Upvote 0

Joy

May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,403,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MOD HAT ON
262241_97344f3feba7d2020816cbb9e9ef87d8.jpeg

This Thread
From Controversial Christian Theology

To Spiritual Gifts

as This is a

More Fitting Forum for this Discussion

Please note: Posts debating whether sign gifts exist have been removed because they violate the Forum Sop.

Also if your posts have been removed it is because, you have quoted deleted posts.

Thank You

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Family,

How does one get the gift of discerning of spirits?

What is it used for?

How can you become more sensitive to the move of the Spirit in this gift?

Does it naturally accompany other gifts?

~Natsumi Lam~
Three things come to mind.

1) Saturate your mind with the Bible. Any counterfeits will stand out. You have probably already done this, but if not... get to it. lol

2) Begin to walk in the gift to test it. Spend your day using your spirit to feel what spiritual influences are near. If you sense something, ask God what it is. Begin to catalogue these feelings, or impressions.

3) Find someone that has the gift and have them confer the gift to you by the laying on of hands. Then consult with them as a mentor. Ask them what books to read on the subject.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The gift is in us via the Holy Spirit. The easiest way to discern is to confirm if that spirit is proclaiming that Jesus is the Christ (1 John 4:1-5). Any spirit or theology that doesn't confess that Christ is the Son of God, is not of God. The Apostle Paul also said that "no one can say Jesus is Lord" except in the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:3). 1 Corinthians 12:10 also mentions a special spiritual gift of discernment, and maybe a little different from what's being said in 1 John. I'm sure that you'll receive more detailed responses. Peace in Christ:).
That's a great response.
Every believer has this gift to some degree. I think we all sense it when we hear a teaching that is "off". Our spirit tells us something isn't right.

The OP is asking about a full gifting in this area, I suppose. Rather than just a sense that something is off, to know what it is and perhaps how to combat it. Although we may not need to identify it to combat it.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God gives it as it is needed. Like with the other Gifts, some may move in it more regularly than others, but God isn't limited on whom He chooses.
I have found that gifts sometimes are for temporary situations. I have experienced a few things that made me think that God was moving me into a new ministry area with a gift, only to find out that it was just for that particular situation. I was not directed to further use of the gift. This was very alarming at first. I learned something about gifts that I didn't know.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I also think that the inclusion of peace or the absence of peace is a good indication as well.

How do you believe or do you believe that Matt 10:13 has applicable content or context?

And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you.
That's a good point. A spirit can influence a whole room. Someone walks in and everything feels either up or down. We can do that to a room as well. We carry the Holy Spirit with us.

Upvote 0

sir noel

Oct 12, 2018
stockbridge
✟15,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi Family,

How does one get the gift of discerning of spirits?

What is it used for?

How can you become more sensitive to the move of the Spirit in this gift?

Does it naturally accompany other gifts?

~Natsumi Lam~

Upvote 0