Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This has happened to me in Lent's past where I reflect on the early days of my conversion and how one moment I didn't believe and the next moment I did, and how I came to be Catholic.
How does this happen to a person? What forces are out there that puts these types of things on our minds and our hearts?

And, conversely, what is the source of our negative thoughts and actions and how does one turn that around? How does one learn to choose correctly?

RascaLinFaith

Your Word became the joy and delight of my heart.
Mar 19, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
✟10,803.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,123.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There was a priest in our area (who has now left the priesthood to pursue lay ministry) who talked a lot about "discerning spirits," and who had "prayer warriors" that he would set to work praying over his questions.

The answers they gave him made me wonder if it was possible to "discern the spirit" without giving up an agenda.

One time these "prayer warriors" decided not to subsidize a child's school tuition because the family, whose father was unemployed, wasn't contributing enough to the collection plate. The parents spent at least 10 hours a week volunteering at church in music ministry, the carnival, religious education. Their service and talents were easily worth $150 a week or more...

The same prayer warriors, when the priest went to another parish, decided that two long-time employees, both older, should be laid off to make room for younger people. One liked the personal phone system instead of voice mails--yeah, the Holy Spirit was against that...the other, a well-respected school principal, had just outworked her usefulness, I guess.

I don't think the Spirit had anything to do with these decisions. The priest (now ex-priest) had his slant on the situation, and the prayer warriors got the answer from the spirit that he expected. Right.

Color me cynical---unless you can find true discerners without egos. Good luck.

I know it is possible for discerners to ignore expected agendae--I just haven't experienced it.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There was a priest in our area (who has now left the priesthood to pursue lay ministry) who talked a lot about "discerning spirits," and who had "prayer warriors" that he would set to work praying over his questions.

The answers they gave him made me wonder if it was possible to "discern the spirit" without giving up an agenda.

One time these "prayer warriors" decided not to subsidize a child's school tuition because the family, whose father was unemployed, wasn't contributing enough to the collection plate. The parents spent at least 10 hours a week volunteering at church in music ministry, the carnival, religious education. Their service and talents were easily worth $150 a week or more...

The same prayer warriors, when the priest went to another parish, decided that two long-time employees, both older, should be laid off to make room for younger people. One liked the personal phone system instead of voice mails--yeah, the Holy Spirit was against that...the other, a well-respected school principal, had just outworked her usefulness, I guess.

I don't think the Spirit had anything to do with these decisions. The priest (now ex-priest) had his slant on the situation, and the prayer warriors got the answer from the spirit that he expected. Right.

Color me cynical---unless you can find true discerners without egos. Good luck.

I know it is possible for discerners to ignore expected agendae--I just haven't experienced it.

This has nothing to do with what I'm learning about discernment, but then again I'm studying the Ignatius Exercises for the Discernment of Spirits.

According to that, you discerned correctly by being suspicious of this pastor and his 'prayer warriors'. You would do well to reject it.

• Agree
Reactions: Davidnic
Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Father Timothy Gallagher is a member of the Oblates of the Virgin Mary .

The order was founded by the Venerable Bruno Lanteri who saw one of the primary works of the order as the fostering of the Spiritual Exercises of St Ignatius of Loyola , founder of the Jesuits .

Father Gallagher gives 16 talks on the 14 rules for The Discernment of Spirits as found in the Spiritual Exercises of St Ignatius of Loyola .

It's good to listen to an expert , and I have listened to the 16 videos and have found them very helpful . I'm no expert , and I know that I need to listen to them again and again and again if I am to get full benefit from them .

Below are posted the first 4 videos for those interested . The remaining 12 talks can be easily found on YouTube .

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Father Timothy Gallagher is a member of the Oblates of the Virgin Mary .

The order was founded by the Venerable Bruno Lanteri who saw one of the primary works of the order as the fostering of the Spiritual Exercises of St Ignatius of Loyola , founder of the Jesuits .

Father Gallagher gives 16 talks on the 14 rules for The Discernment of Spirits as found in the Spiritual Exercises of St Ignatius of Loyola .

It's good to listen to an expert , and I have listened to the 16 videos and have found them very helpful . I'm no expert , and I know that I need to listen to them again and again and again if I am to get full benefit from them .

Below are posted the first 4 videos for those interested . The remaining 12 talks can be easily found on YouTube .

I listened to the first two videos during Lent. I found them to be the perfect compliment to the other videos I'd seen on the same subject. I'm having to take it in sips. The first two videos have given me plenty to think about. I find it a lot like St. John of the Cross, in that it talks about a mysterious subject but presents it in a more understandable, but not simplistic way.

Reactions: Colin
Upvote 0