New Jersey
✟335,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This thread is branching off from a discussion that I was having with @The Liturgist about whether it is meaningful to speak of God having gender. We didn't want to derail the original thread (which was about the NT Apocrypha), so here is a separate place for the gender discussion. In the other thread, here (New Testament Apocrypha), The Liturgist stated that God is, in some sense, masculine:

However, my argument was not predicated on communicatio idiomatum but rather the fact that scripture reveals the divine nature of God to us in masculine terms: the Lord, the Father, the Son. This is a non-sexual masculinity, a masculinity that is not a gender so much as a quality of relationships.

I replied that the categories of "masculine" and "feminine" are not meaningful to me outside of the context of species that produce offspring through sexual reproduction:

"Non-sexual masculinity" is not a meaningful phrase to me.

If you want to say "God has qualities A, B, and C, and many human men also have qualities A, B, and C", then I'd be willing to agree to that much.

I intend this thread to be a place where we can continue our discussion in a civil and respectful manner. Others are welcome to join in. However, please note that this is the WWMC forum, and misogyny does not belong here. If you post the view that women are inferior to men, I will report you to the moderators. From the SOP for WWMC:

"WWMC members ... believe that Jesus never shut out anyone based on age, race, gender identity, religious affiliation (or lack thereof), sexuality, or political views."

Okay, that should set the context. The Liturgist, can you clarify what you mean by "non-sexual masculinity"? What "quality of relationships" do you have in mind?

Reactions: Paidiske

Vesper_Jaye✝️

Truth-Seeker
Dec 29, 2021
the Kingdom of God
✟19,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I replied that the categories of "masculine" and "feminine" are not meaningful to me outside of the context of species that produce offspring through sexual reproduction:

God is not masculine or feminine in this sense, but in the Bible He is referred to as “He”. Jesus called Him “Abba” or Father. Our relationship with God is similar to our relationships with our earthly fathers. God also has mother-like qualities, and He is sometimes compared to a mother in scripture.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God is not masculine or feminine in this sense, but in the Bible He is referred to as “He”. Jesus called Him “Abba” or Father. Our relationship with God is similar to our relationships with our earthly fathers. God also has mother-like qualities, and He is sometimes compared to a mother in scripture.
The problem is with trying to describe God using anthropomorphic terms

• Agree
Reactions: Philip_B
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,926,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @PloverWing, since the various human authors of the Bible always refer to God (the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit) using masculine nouns and pronouns (and since the Lord Jesus does the same thing when referring to both His Father and to the Holy Spirit), and since God chooses to identify Himself as male/masculine, why aren't those facts alone a good enough reason for all of us to continue to do the same :scratch:

If (for instance) a biological man "identified" himself to you as a woman and asked you to refer to him as, "she" or "her", I assume that you would choose to acquiesce out of respect for them and their wishes, yes?

So why choose to do otherwise in God's case?

While I understand that this example is hardly perfect (as the scenario is not quite the same, obviously), God clearly self-identifies Himself to us as male/masculine in the Bible, so why not refer to Him in the way that He asked us to?

--David
p.s. - here are just a couple of Scriptural examples, one OT and one New.

Isaiah 43
10 “You are My witnesses,” declares the LORD,
“And My servant whom I have chosen,
In order that you may know and believe Me
And understand that I am He.
Before Me there was no God formed,
And there will be none after Me.
11 I, even I, am the LORD,
And there is no Savior besides Me.
12 It is I who have declared and saved and proclaimed,
And there was no strange god among you;
So you are My witnesses,” declares the LORD,
“And I am God.
13 Even from eternity I am He,
And there is none who can deliver out of My hand;
I act and who can reverse it?”

John 14
26 “The Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
This thread is branching off from a discussion that I was having with @The Liturgist about whether it is meaningful to speak of God having gender. We didn't want to derail the original thread (which was about the NT Apocrypha), so here is a separate place for the gender discussion. In the other thread, here (New Testament Apocrypha), The Liturgist stated that God is, in some sense, masculine:

I intend this thread to be a place where we can continue our discussion in a civil and respectful manner. Others are welcome to join in. However, please note that this is the WWMC forum, and misogyny does not belong here. If you post the view that women are inferior to men, I will report you to the moderators. From the SOP for WWMC:

Okay, that should set the context. The Liturgist, can you clarify what you mean by "non-sexual masculinity"? What "quality of relationships" do you have in mind?

In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, I begin a dialogue not to seek polemical debate but mutual wisdom, and pray now that we will together find edification, through Jesus Christ our Lord.

So this is really exciting, because the real question is, what does God mean by identifying Himself as the Father, the Son, and the Lord, the Holy Spirit? There are three answers which I see as not working: firstly, while communicatio idiomatum can be used to say God is male because Jesus Christ is male by virtue of His full humanity, which he partook of through His fully human mother, Our glorious lady Theotokos and ever virgin Mary, who conceived without sexual intercourse due to the operation of the Holy Spirit, who caused somehow the fertilization of an ova, resulting in cellular division and an embryo.*

This is because there is something that might hypothetically be described of as reproduction in the Godhood which is not sexual, that being the eternal generation of the Son by the Father, that is to say, he is begotten, not made, begotten of the Father before ages. In Christianity, there is not a Mother Goddess with whom the Father reproduces, contrary to the claims of the Mormons. Likewise the Holy Spirit, who is no less a person than Christ, eternally proceeds from the Father (as you might expect, I personally reject the filioque).

Secondly, we cannot claim that God is male simply because we are made in the image of God, for the obvious reason that men and women both are equal bearers of the divine image, and women are not male.

Thirdly, we cannot use the revelation of the Father in the Son to say God is male, because this revelation confirms that we are created in the image of God, indeed, we are recreated in the image of Christ Jesus, God the Son, the Incarnate Logos, who became incarnate the same way any human is born, but nis mother, the Blessed Virgin Mary, is regarded by the early church and by traditional Christians as the most exemplary of the saints, the one saint worthy of hyperdoulia (extreme veneration), to quote an Eastern Orthodox hymn, we believe her to be “Thou the more honorable than the cherubim, and beyond compare more glorious than the seraphim, who without corruption gavest birth to God the Word, thou the true Theotokos, we magnify thee.” She is venerated even more than St. John the Baptist, who Christ our God declares to be “the greatest...of those born of a woman.” Therefore, it is obvious that we are created in the likeness of God, but since the most venerable human is female, this is not the answer.

Rather, I believe that Scripture reveals God to us in a masculine identity based on the specific relationship He has with us, and the relationships in the trinity. The relationship between the heavenly God and us is paternal rather than maternal; the relationship between the first and second Persons of the Trinity is the relationship of a Father to a Son, even though both are coequal, coeternal, and together with the Spirit, solely and uniquely entitled to veneration.

This takes us to the question of why, which I believe to be epistemologically unknowable by us at this stage in our existence, but we can perhaps speculate. Given that God is pure love, and the most loving relation most children experience with another parent is with their mother, and given that I believe in salvation through synergism rather than monergism, I believe our mothers are possibly intended to represent, when they are as wonderful as my mother, at least, and it is very sad indeed when one of a neglectful mother; whereas tragically we have almost come to expect there to be neglectful fathers, there seems something existentially horrifying about mothers who do not love their children (I am not referring to those who put their children up for immediate adoption, or, seized by post-partum depression, commit in a state of temporary legal insanity infanticide; this is a mental health issue rather than a existential crisis of morality.

But to the extent that mothers more often than not are loving, they embody the human principle in our salvation, and represent, in a sense, us, since Christ is described as the bridegroom, so all humans are in a spiritual sense, somewhat feminine, even when we are fully masculine males whose conduct and grooming is in no respect effeminate. And furhermore, our mothers iconigraphically represent our Lady Theotokos, who I believe from accounts of Eastern and Oriental Orthodox saints will, if asked, intervene to be a mother to those who are deprived of their mother or lack a loving mother; for this reason we venerate her as Joy to All Who Sorrow. A particularly moving story of this is that of the Coptic Orthodox monk Lazarus el Antony, which I would share, but it would make me sob, so I suggest googling him; he is somewhat famous for hosting in his cave, which is near that of St. Anthony the Great, now a chapel where he celebrates the Divine Liturgy at midnight, the Anglican priest Fr. Peter Owen Jones in the three part documentary series Extreme Pilgrim, which aired in the late noughties on BBC Two, and which I greatly enjoyed, along with Around the World in 80 Faiths, an 8 part follow up series for the same network.

His documentary on New Testament apocrypha however I found very disappointing, which might seem strange when one considers my other thread, unless one remembers that critical caveat I have been conpelled to repeat four times so far, and may have to repeat again, that I believe in and do not wish to change the Athanasian Canon. Indeed I have a personal devotion to St. Athanasius the Great and believe all Christians should venerate him as the Pillar of Orthodoxy, and venerate St. Anthony the Great as the first of those who died to the world through the holy institution which became Christian religious life. Indeed I wrote an article about it in my Christian Forums blog ( Why You Should Read The Life Of Anthony ), and if you don’t mind I would like to mirror this post on that blog.

I look forward to a loving and mutually edifying dialogue, free from polemical debate, but rather conducted using the Socratic method, to search for the Truth, for Christ is Truth incarnate, and I pray we shall be mutually edified through His gracious Light, together with that of His majestic Father and the Holy Spirit, our Comforter Paraclete, to whom belong all honor, glory and worship, now and ever and unto the ages of all ages.

*Christian women and men I know opposed to abortion from the time of conception, which is a belief I share except in the horrible tragedy of an ectopic pregnancy which is both non-viable and lethal for the mother (but perhaps in the future we might be able to transplant ectopic pregnancies into a safer position in the uterus), and any related condition where the pregnancy poses an unacceptable risk to the life of the mother, derive our reverence for the embryo from this moment in human history, which in my case extends even to embryos from, for example, ectopic pregnancies which must tragically be ended; these embryos are human beings and in my opinion should be buried normally. And in my experience both as a pastor working with couples who have suffered a miscarriage, and as the son of a woman who miscarried on her first attempt my older brother, I can attest the grief is real.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
By the way, while I join my friend @PloverWing in inviting others to join in, I would respectfully request other participants to avoid derailing the conversation between myself and PloverWing, and also to respect the dialectical nature of this thread and our mutual desire to avoid polemical debate.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Almighty God, to you all hearts are open, all desires known, and from you no secrets are hid: Cleanse the thoughts of our hearts by the inspiration of your Holy Spirit, that we may perfectly love you, and worthily magnify your holy Name; through Christ our Lord. Amen.

I look forward to exploring this subject with you, in a spirit of respect and charity, that together we may gain greater understanding.

I agree with your initial setting-aside of three possible answers. In the Incarnation, God was embodied in a human with a particular gender, height, eye color, favorite food, and so on, because that's what it means to live a human life in a human body; but this does not tell us anything about God's own uncreated Self. And the concept of the image of God doesn't say whether God is masculine or feminine or neither, because, as you say, Genesis 1 tells us that men and women are both in the image of God.

Here, I think, is where you describe the relationship that you spoke of in your earlier post:

Rather, I believe that Scripture reveals God to us in a masculine identity based on the specific relationship He has with us, and the relationships in the trinity. The relationship between the heavenly God and us is paternal rather than maternal; the relationship between the first and second Persons of the Trinity is the relationship of a Father to a Son, even though both are coequal, coeternal, and together with the Spirit, solely and uniquely entitled to veneration.

This takes us to the question of why, which I believe to be epistemologically unknowable by us at this stage in our existence, but we can perhaps speculate. Given that God is pure love, and the most loving relation most children experience with another parent is with their mother, and given that I believe in salvation through synergism rather than monergism, I believe our mothers are possibly intended to represent [ love for children ]
But to the extent that mothers more often than not are loving, they embody the human principle in our salvation, and represent, in a sense, us, since Christ is described as the bridegroom, so all humans are in a spiritual sense, somewhat feminine, even when we are fully masculine males whose conduct and grooming is in no respect effeminate.

I agree that some of the metaphors that Jesus and the prophets use to describe God's love are analogies to human experiences, and that some of these metaphors are gendered: the love of a husband for a wife, the love of a father for a child. The love that exists in a good marriage and in a caring parental relationship is probably as close as we're going to get to seeing what God's love for us is like.

But as we look at these metaphors, I don't see the masculinity as what's important, but rather the deep sacrificial caring that one spouse has for another, or that a loving parent has for their child.

When you say that "the relationship between the heavenly God and us is paternal rather than maternal", I really don't follow what you mean. I think I hear you saying that God is pure love, and that mothers (when all goes well) are loving, therefore God is paternal rather than maternal -- and I feel like I've missed a step, because that conclusion doesn't follow from those premises. So perhaps you can explain your thoughts again. What do you mean when you say that God is paternal, rather than merely parental?

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
When you say that "the relationship between the heavenly God and us is paternal rather than maternal", I really don't follow what you mean. I think I hear you saying that God is pure love, and that mothers (when all goes well) are loving, therefore God is paternal rather than maternal -- and I feel like I've missed a step, because that conclusion doesn't follow from those premises. So perhaps you can explain your thoughts again. What do you mean when you say that God is paternal, rather than merely parental?

The answer is complex, but before I write it, because I don’t have time tonight, as I have to prepare some materials for the liturgical club I am a member of (did I tell you about that?) and tonight is when I budgeted time for that - I would ask you focus on the Mariological concepts and on synergistic theosis. Like, try to reread it as if you were thinking about Mary like a Copt or a Ukrainian or a Greek. And look up Fr. Lazarus el Antony on YouTube; he lost his mother at the age of 40 but found himself in grief comforted by Thomas Merton’s Seven Story Mountain; he called the different Catholic monasteries and none would have him because he was not a Catholic, but the Serbian Orthodox monastery invited him to “come and see.” There he had a profound experience. Later, he transferred to the Coptic Orthodox Church and moved to Egypt, and eventually after much time, and being ordained a priest and working as a missionary in subsaharan Africa, got posted to St. Anthony’s Monastery, where he was eventually allowed to live as a hermit. He is the only monk permitted to live alone in the caves around St. Anthony’s caves.* If you can find the autobiographical videos he did for the Coptic Youth Channel, which are on YouTube, those describe his experience with the Virgin Mary most clearly, and you might grasp my point.

Western theology, even Roman Catholic theology, lacks the categories to easily convey the concept I am typing, although it has enough components of it so that figuring it out is not that difficult. Metropolitan Kallistos Ware’s book The Orthodox Way, (not to be confused with The Orthodox Church) which I bet you have read, was very helpful to me. Indeed it directly asked the question you are asking, and I am trying to provide a more detailed answer than that provided by His Eminence.

* it is considered in the Orthodox church an extremely bad idea, very dangerous, for novice and even experienced monks to live as solitaries, and if you read The Sayings of the Desert Fathers, the Philokalia, and the Arena, a 19th century Russian text on monasticism and mystical theology (I assume you know what the other two are), you can see the process by which solitaries consolidated into sketes, and then the first cenobitic monastery was formed under St. Pachomius. This is because of dangers both practical and demonic; not only does the solitary lack anyone to help him, but even members of sketes who don’t live a fixed monastic rule have fallen into spiritual delusion, and some flung themselves over cliffs deceived into thinking they had attained angelic purity and could ascend to the heavenly realm.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"In Hebrew the word for Spirit (רוח) (ruach) is feminine, (which is used in the Hebrew Bible, as is the feminine word "shekhinah" in rabbinic literature, to indicate the presence of God, Arabic: سكينة sakina, a word mentioned six times in the Quran).

"In the Syriac language too, the grammatically feminine word rucha means "spirit", and writers in that language, both orthodox and Gnostic, used maternal images when speaking of the Holy Spirit. This imagery is found in the fourth-century theologians Aphrahat and Ephrem the Syrian. It is found in earlier writings of Syriac Christianity such as the Odes of Solomon[9] and in the Gnostic early-third-century Acts of Thomas.[10]"

Gender of the Holy Spirit - Wikipedia

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
"In Hebrew the word for Spirit (רוח) (ruach) is feminine, (which is used in the Hebrew Bible, as is the feminine word "shekhinah" in rabbinic literature, to indicate the presence of God, Arabic: سكينة sakina, a word mentioned six times in the Quran).

"In the Syriac language too, the grammatically feminine word rucha means "spirit", and writers in that language, both orthodox and Gnostic, used maternal images when speaking of the Holy Spirit. This imagery is found in the fourth-century theologians Aphrahat and Ephrem the Syrian. It is found in earlier writings of Syriac Christianity such as the Odes of Solomon[9] and in the Gnostic early-third-century Acts of Thomas.[10]"

St. Ephrem the Syrian is the only major Patristic figure who wrote of our Lord in that manner, but is due to the influences of his native tongue. Now, not all church fathers are infallible. Despite rejecting the idea of a divine feminine, I would sing any of St. Ephrem’s hymns because the person of the Spirit is mysterious, and while I maintain God has a masculine identity owing to His paternal relationship to us (which is positively confirmed by scripture), there is also several verses in scripture where God describes His love for us and His zeal in protecting us using allusions to maternal functions, albeit at no point describing Himself as female or being referred to as a Mother God.

Indeed, this site, whose premise and arguments I reject, and indeed I hope the dialogue will not devolve into a criticism of Patriarchy in Hebrew culture, because there is strong evidence, such as the Holy Judge of Israel St. Deborah, who was a Matriarch in an absolute sense, as well as the mutual respect shown between King Solomon and the Queen of Ethiopia (they did consensually “exchange royal gifts” as the scripture puts it, and their son, also named Solomon, secretly removed the Ark of the Covenant to Ethiopia, where it remains today; after it caused thermal damage to a church the Holy Martyr Emperor Haile Selassie built for it (he is a martyr, because he refused to renounce Ethiopian Orthodoxy, and thus the Derg communists strangled him, and had he lived, he had a good chance at being glorified as a saint, considering his efforts to evangelize the Jamaicans and also to convert the Rastafarians to Ethiopian Orthodoxy; the former has been very successful and the latter has had some success as well.*

As far as the Hebrew language is concerned, the Rabinnic literature is basically the traditions of the Pharisees in written form, and is of no theological value, in my opinion, although the Tract Baba Bathra contains a very bizarre and interesting selection of Haggadah describing unusual amphibians and giant fish, in between otherwise uninteresting commentary on the Rabinnical Civil Law (real property, movable property, inheritance, and other material only a lawyer would enjoy).

*Note that I am not Ethiopian but rather of Yankee, German, Swedish, and some limited Danish and Irish ancestry, not counting the fact that the English Puritans I am descended from are themselves largely descended from pan-Danic populations, particularly the Angles from original Anglia, not East Anglia, which is actually rougly speaking, thousand miles across the North Sea from West Anglia, and to a lesser extent, the Jutes, from the Jutland Peninsula, as the name implies*, and to a still lesser extent, the Danes who ruled the country for a time from Jarvik, now York.

I took a ferry to Aalborg from Norway, and then an Intercity train to Frederica, on the border of Germany, where a Danish gendarme (the border was still controlled in those years, which were shortly before Schengen) recommended a delicious plate of ground meat, which was heaven for a young man, and from there we travelled on to Hamburg; I have to confess I don’t find Jutland as stunningly beautiful as the rest or Denmark, Sweden and Norway, at least not the areas the train passed through, but many would; it reminded me a bit of North Yorkshire, which is perhaps why York appealed to the Danes as a capital city. However, I do find Jutland vastly more attractive than the Central Valley of California in which I grew up, except in the spring months when our distinctive golden poppies are in bloom.

• Winner
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate

By the way most of the Odes do not refer to the Holy Spirit in the female gender, and the ones that do are among the ones I propose deleting, which I mentioned in my thread on NT apocrypha.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
while I maintain God has a masculine identity owing to His paternal relationship to us (which is positively confirmed by scripture), there is also several verses in scripture where God describes His love for us and His zeal in protecting us using allusions to maternal functions, albeit at no point describing Himself as female or being referred to as a Mother God.
There are also lots of passages in the Psalms where God is a rock or has giant wings that protect us. Of course, as commanded, I pray to our Father in heaven but I never tried to visualize God the Father or the Holy Spirit. In the Philokalia, we are advised to refrain from doing this. But in Catholic tradition they frequently do just that as for example in the extremely famous portrayal in the Sistine Chapel, which I dislike.

I also have a copy of the Catholic NAB, where the 3 members of the Holy Trinity are portrayed as 3 men. I don't like this and I think this kind of emphasis on maleness that produces a backlash from feminists and others who insist on doing the opposite. I remember hearing an Orthodox priest politely saying, "We don't like this picture."

God is Spirit and all anthropomorphism is metaphoric.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

You are looking at it backwards. Man is only one of many masculine things. Sex is only one of many things representative of the real things in Heaven. We have there, 'The Bride of Christ' (feminine). And God (masculine).

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The answer is complex, but before I write it, because I don’t have time tonight, as I have to prepare some materials for the liturgical club I am a member of (did I tell you about that?) and tonight is when I budgeted time for that - I would ask you focus on the Mariological concepts and on synergistic theosis. Like, try to reread it as if you were thinking about Mary like a Copt or a Ukrainian or a Greek. And look up Fr. Lazarus el Antony on YouTube
Metropolitan Kallistos Ware’s book The Orthodox Way, (not to be confused with The Orthodox Church) which I bet you have read, was very helpful to me. Indeed it directly asked the question you are asking, and I am trying to provide a more detailed answer than that provided by His Eminence.

I haven't studied Coptic or Ukrainian spirituality in any depth, so that may be a difficult mindset for me to step into. And, alas, I have The Orthodox Church on my bookshelf, but not The Orthodox Way. But I have found a video by Fr. Lazarus el Antony on his experience of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and I will listen to it later today.

It's possible that the Orthodox have a particular relationship with Mary that is hard for me to share, and that viewing God as masculine enhances their experience of Mary in some way. If that's what you're trying to explain, I will do my best to appreciate that spiritual encounter, even if I don't share it in the end.

I hope your liturgical club goes well! For myself, I'll be spending the day finalizing some lecture notes, since my spring semester starts tomorrow.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
While I understand that this example is hardly perfect (as the scenario is not quite the same, obviously), God clearly self-identifies Himself to us as male/masculine in the Bible, so why not refer to Him in the way that He asked us to?

I do not agree to your premise here. Whether God reveals God's self to be male, or masculine, or gendered at all, is one of the points under discussion.

You are looking at it backwards. Man is only one of many masculine things. Sex is only one of many things representative of the real things in Heaven. We have there, 'The Bride of Christ' (feminine). And God (masculine).

This is also one of the points under discussion: whether it is meaningful to assign gender to a Being who is spiritual rather than physical. I currently do not see that the sentence "God is masculine" means anything, but we will see where the conversation goes.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We have there, 'The Bride of Christ' (feminine). And God (masculine).
I know that we, the Church, are the bride of Christ. But where does the Bible say that we are bride of God?

This is also one of the points under discussion: whether it is meaningful to assign gender to a Being who is spiritual rather than physical.
Since God is Spirit and all anthropomorphisms are metaphorical, I don't understand the point of this conversation. Why should anyone care to assign a gender to the invisible God? Is this a private conversation that started in a different thread and you don't want others to know what it's about? But then, why don't you just PM to each other?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I hope your liturgical club goes well! For myself, I'll be spending the day finalizing some lecture notes, since my spring semester starts tomorrow.

Alas it didn’t; I got no work done, I am now nearly three months behind on setting up the website and completing editing the project I am responsible, whereas my colleagues are on schedule or in some cases finished, which is seriously embarrassing. The fact of the matter is I had a horrible nose bleed.

Please pray for me that I can soon make progress.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Since God is Spirit and all anthropomorphisms are metaphorical, I don't understand the point of this conversation. Why should anyone care to assign a gender to the invisible God? Is this a private conversation that started in a different thread and you don't want others to know what it's about? But then, why don't you just PM to each other?

Since the idea of God having gender is an idea that comes up in CF from time to time, I thought the discussion might be of general interest, and I tried to set the context in post #1. But maybe you're right, that it would be better as a private discussion.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I know that we, the Church, are the bride of Christ. But where does the Bible say that we are bride of God?

Ok, I gotta stop you there for a moment my dear friend:

Anglicanism is Chalcedonian, and Nicene, and in Nicene Christianity, Christ is God, and in Chalcedonian Christology, the human and divine natures of our Lord are united in one hypostasis, without, to quote Chalcedon, “change, confusion, separation or division.” And to avoid separation of the natures, a theological principle exists called communicatio idiomatum, wherein anything we can say about one nature, can be said about the other, for example, Mary gave birth to God (the meaning of Theotokos) and The Son of Man is eternally perfect. In this way, we avoid dividing the actions and attributes of our Lord between His human nature and divine nature, which is definitionally Nestorian, and thus avoid separation of His humanity from His divinity (as both Chalcedonian and Oriental Orthodox Miaphysite Christology require).

Therefore, it is impossible in Chalcedonian Christology to be the bride of Christ without being the bride of God.

I hope that helps, and is enlightening.

God bless you! You and @MarkRohfrietsch are my two Canadian comrades on the forum, and I just love the two of you. I can’t wait til COVID restrictions are listed so I can take my long delayed trip on The Canadian, and the Ocean, and see Canada coast-to-coast, and perhaps visit with you, as it would be splendid to get a beer or if you don’t drink alcohol, give Tim Horton’s, that venerable Canadian institution, a try. (You colloquially call it Timmy’s, right? Although I have heard from some Canadians that it is overrated, but I consider Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts, the closest American equivalents, overrated, so, the main thing is the experience).

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Alas it didn’t; I got no work done, I am now nearly three months behind on setting up the website and completing editing the project I am responsible, whereas my colleagues are on schedule or in some cases finished, which is seriously embarrassing. The fact of the matter is I had a horrible nose bleed.

Please pray for me that I can soon make progress.

I'm sorry. I hope things go better for you. I will be thinking of you.

• Friendly
Upvote 0