• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

The Gay X-Men

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by rusmeister, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Kreikkalainen

Kreikkalainen You can't spell or pronounce me

+60
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Can't read all these huge posts that you made, but I noticed this.

No Orthodox Christian in their right mind will tell you otherwise.

There's this anecdote about a monk who was struggling coming and going between pride and self-loathing. His elder told him to go to his cell, write on one wall all his vices and sins he could remember, and on the opposite wall all the virtues and good works he could remember. When he felt prideful, he would look left and realise his wretched weak state. When he felt depressed and lost courage, he would look right and thank and glorify the Lord for what He has made him worthy to accomplish. And the cycle goes on for ever to keep him (and us) on the right track.

Compare to the modern message. First of, redefine vice and virtue. Secondly, write on your wall whatever you think is a virtue and a good work, so long as it fits within the modern redefinition (in reality, it could be a vice, a virtue or neither). Look at nothing else and keep going blindly like that, for ever glorifying yourself. If somehow you feel uncomfortable, that means you haven't been glorifying yourself enough and your therapist will tell you the solution is to discover / define some more virtues so you can glorify yourself more.

See the difference?

2. MrJim

MrJim Legend 3/17/05

+1,274
    Christian
    Married
    I watched "X-Men First Class" last night:cool:

I was reading these comics back the early 80/s ~ movie seemed pretty consistent with the Homo Sapiens/Homo Superior fight that has been the theme since the beginning.

The "not ashamed of being different" can apply to about anything, even religious issues.

'Course I wasn't going to confess my X-geekness till others did first, I thought I was alone;)

3. rusmeister

rusmeister A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian

+2,130
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I think that's very true. Honestly, I enjoyed the movie myself.

This entire thread is only about the slogans and expressions, including expression of ideas, that are precisely those used by the gay lobby. It's already been noted multiple times that many general themes can be about race or anything and this thread is not about that.

There are two things I'd like to know:

A) show of hands- how many people get what I'm saying and see this as well land recognize that it can be done to us much more broadly than in the X-men?

B) does anyone disagree and think that the expressions and ideas in the film do not/will not be applied to the gay movement?

I hope people won't take me as snarky or stodgy, but as the OP, I do have a definite idea of what I wanted to discuss.
    I'm willing to discuss/debate with that, but not with discussions of other interpretations of X-Men or other entertainment not related to that.

I hope no one takes my comments personally. I'd just rather have slow or dead threads on topic (when they're "my" threads) than have discussions going all over the place bouncing far away from my topic.
    If you want to have such a discussion, the new thread button is at the bottom of the page.

4. Bryne

Bryne Simul Justus et Peccator

+59
    Lutheran
    Married
    Yes, I do get what you are saying...though I am not sure that I agree with your conclusions in regards to the X-men. Certainly, it can and is being done in various TV shows and Movies.

The ideas in the film could be applied to the gay movement. They also apply nicely to the civil rights movement, as has been pointed out. Historically, it is the civil rights movement that has been reflected in the X-men.

However, the gay movement has modeled itself in some ways after the civil rights movement. They consider their issues to be civil rights issues. So, it would make sense that something that is reflecting the civil rights movement would also appear as if it were reflecting the gay rights movement.

It is very possible that the film makers had the gay rights movement in mind when making the movie. It is also very possible that they did not, and were only staying true to the civil rights themes that the X-men have always had.

5. MrJim

MrJim Legend 3/17/05

+1,274
    Christian
    Married
    I understand what you are saying~I've often said about tv/movies in general that while often they can present positive elements very often it is without any sort of spiritual grounding...there are all sorts of "safe" tv programs or movies with decent value presented yet they are done in a vacuum where God is not central, where church is not central, where prayer is not central--the underlying foundation is that they are not needed, that man is able on his own to create his own truths. So a storyline can be turned toward any direction the director chooses and and sort of people ground can view a program through their own particular lenses. (this was all probably said already; haven't read through the entire thread:sorry:)

...though Nightcrawler is a good Catholic;) ~~in the comics he and Logan had many conversations about faith..

6. Kreikkalainen

Kreikkalainen You can't spell or pronounce me

+60
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Rus :- I haven't even seen or read the X-Men, but I agree with A, in that such messages are found everywhere in the entertainment industry.

Easy :- You are right I took your point in isolation. That's because reading all of your postings and watching all the videos would make a full-time job and I don't work on Saturdays :). But I didn't disagree with your quote, I actually expounded on it and said as an Orthodox Christian that's what I believe too. I don't see the source of your "sharp disagreement". I agree with your reply, although I don't see the need for all this and anyway we are getting waaaaay beyond the topic of this thread :).

7. Gxg (G²)

Gxg (G²) Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7) Supporter CF Ambassadors

+1,180
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    US-Others
    Trying to keep it as short as possible, though some of it's there for simple reference. Would NEVER expect someone to read through everything

8. Dorothea

Dorothea One of God's handmaidens

+1,662
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    *raising hand* Yes, I agree with A.

9. Aloha Joe

Aloha Joe Guest

+0
    -X-Men: First Class screenwriter Zack Stentz, responding to an online commenter who insisted there was no gay subtext in X-men

-BBC interview with X-Men and X2 Director Bryan Singer

10. Dorothea

Dorothea One of God's handmaidens

+1,662
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    This country is all about what you just named. I don't think it necessarily started off that way, but to a certain extent, there was a thread of it from the beginning and has grown since then. I don't like to use quotes from Frank Schaeffer, but it was back in the mid 1990s when he did a talk of the State of the Union, and pretty much talked a lot of our country being this way. He said the US's national Anthem is more close to Frank Sinatra's "I Did It May Way." And that schools especially spend all this time on raising people's self-esteem for no good reason.

I think it is because of how we are portrayed in the media, movies, and how our government has been for the past several decades, etc. - this perception that we have given ourselves - this type of presence - that other countries see us as arrogant, power-hungry, and all about the all-mighty dollar and dominating other countries.

The meeker and generous folks (and there are lots) are left in the shadows.

JMO.

11. rusmeister

rusmeister A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian

+2,130
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Thanks, AJ,
    Nice to have good solid relevant post. I hadn't seen that stuff, but it sure makes my point!

12. Gxg (G²)

Gxg (G²) Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7) Supporter CF Ambassadors

+1,180
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    US-Others
    I agree. Too often it seems that our crosses are not things which we choose to celebrate or enjoy in the Lord...:)

13. Gxg (G²)

+1,180
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    US-Others
    Fear is always the basis for hating many things that were never meant to be hated or despised. Even as it concerns those who may be gay, that is an issue...concerning their treatment.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  14. FreeinChrist

FreeinChrist CF Advisory team Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+9,229
    Belize
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    MOD HAT

This thread has been cleaned up.
    Please remember that if you are not EO you may not debate in this area.
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2011
  15. Criada

Criada Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,792
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    testing

16. Photini

Photini Gone.

+522
    Seeker