The Gap Theory

Do any here subscribe to the Gap Theory?? For 2,000 years, nearly all Christians believed and taught that the earth was approximately 6,000 years old as revealed by God’s Word. In the early 1800s, some unbelievers began to teach that the earth was “millions of years old.” This old earth teaching laid the groundwork for the evolution theory, which became popular a few years later. In an effort to blend both beliefs, some theologians invented the "gap theory" which allowed "millions of years" to be placed between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2. This “doctrine of men” can be traced back to a man by the name of Thomas Chalmers in 1814. Historically speaking this doctrine could not be found in church teaching before this time. Many since that time have compromised the faith with the evolutionists such as C. I. Scofield, who popularized this philosophy in his Study Bible. Clarence Larkin as well supported the “gap theory” in his publication Dispensational Truth. More recently popular preachers like Billy Graham and John Hagee etc. became infected with this false teaching.

sampo

Think for yourself!!
Jul 23, 2002
Anytown USA
Visit site
✟8,226.00
Faith
Atheist
You know, the bible tells us that the Earth is the center of the solar system and that the sun revolves around it. The bible also tells us that the earth is only (at the most) 6000 years old.....

Do you think that the "gap" theory is just another attempt by theologians to make the biblical story "fit" in the face of almost insurmountable evidence to the contrary?

Upvote 0

Defender of the Faith 777

Apr 13, 2002
Visit site
✟2,076.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Originally posted by sampo
You know, the bible tells us that the Earth is the center of the solar system and that the sun revolves around it. The bible also tells us that the earth is only (at the most) 6000 years old.....

Wow. You'll have to DEFINENTLY show me THAT in the Holy Bible. The part about it being the center of the solar system.

I know the pope said that at one point "from the chair", where he's supposed to be infallible. Then Galileo had to appear before him in court and he was accused guilty; he contradicted his teachings. In the 1990's, he was relieved!

Odd, but true story. Moral: Human teaching is NOT infallible, but the Bible is. Show me where the first one is in the Bible. You should't just make such claims.

Upvote 0

Anthony

Generic Christian
Nov 2, 2002
Visit site
✟10,268.00
Faith
Christian

Do you think that the "gap" theory is just another attempt by theologians to make the biblical story "fit" in the face of almost insurmountable evidence to the contrary?

Where does the Bible "tell us that the earth is only at the most 6,000 years old?" I can't find that.

Upvote 0

sampo

Think for yourself!!
Jul 23, 2002
Anytown USA
Visit site
✟8,226.00
Faith
Atheist
Come on, guys! I am talking literal interpretation here! How could the Earth not be the center of the universe if it were made first, and then the firmament made around it and for the sole purpose of it?

As for the age of the Earth, I have no idea how YEC's came up with that figure, but I am assuming it was based on the bible.

That is the point I am trying to make - if you interpret the bible literally, there are things that just do not fit in the face of evidence to the contrary. The gap theory is just another attempt to twist a literal interpretaion of the bible into modern understanding.

Upvote 0

sampo

Think for yourself!!
Jul 23, 2002
Anytown USA
Visit site
✟8,226.00
Faith
Atheist
7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.
19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

Upvote 0

kaotic

Learn physics
Sep 22, 2002
North Carolina, USA
Visit site
✟14,836.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by Defender of the Faith 777
God created the HEAVENS, and the EARTH.

What on earth tells you that the Earth was created first? Not MY bible.

Huh? even science knows the earth wasn't created first. It was the universe then the galaxies then the stars then planets.

I do agree with you sampo, (The gap theory is just another attempt to twist a literal interpretaion of the bible into modern understanding.).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Didaskomenos

Voiced Bilabial Spirant
Feb 11, 2002
GA
Visit site
✟18,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Yes, the Gap theory has definite problems. For one, it assumes that early Genesis was meant to be a historical account, yet interprets choice parts of it symbolically. That's weak, but obviously this view is more palatable to those who want God's precise words handed to them on a silver platter than the view that it is ancient Semitic mythology.

At least Gappers don't stick their heads in the sand and deny historical and geological data about the age of the earth.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by cleon Do any here subscribe to the Gap Theory??

Which one? The Day-Age theory? The Gap Theory between "let there by light" and the formation of the firmament?  Or the "gaps" between the different days of Genesis 1? There are several gap theories.

In the early 1800s, some unbelievers began to teach that the earth was “millions of years old.”

Look in The Biblical Flood: A Case History of the Church's Response to Extrabiblical Evidence by Davis A Young and Genesis and Geology.  The "unbelievers" were Christian ministers.  In those days, nearly all naturalists were ministers, especially in England where geology really got its start.  The people who learned that the earth was millions of years old were Rev. Whewell, Rev. Sedgwick, Rev. Buckland, etc.

More recently popular preachers like Billy Graham and John Hagee etc. became infected with this false teaching.

Gap Theory doesn't fit the data any better than YEC.  As one example, the version of Gap Theory as you laid it out would have plants trying to live for millions of years before there was a sun to provide the light necessary for them to live.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by Defender of the Faith 777
Wow. You'll have to DEFINENTLY show me THAT in the Holy Bible. The part about it being the center of the solar system.

The Bible says several times that the earth is immovable. The only way for this to be possible is for the earth to be the center of the solar system and for the sun and planets to go around it.

I Chronicles 16:30, Psalm 93:1, Psalm 96:10, and Psalm 104:5. 

Now, obviously even literalistic Christians have so interpreted these passages in the light of extrabiblical evidence that even you don't realize their implications anymore.  So the question becomes: why can't you interpret the two creation stories in Genesis 1 and 2 in the light of extrabiblical evidence that shows that they are not literally true?

Upvote 0
But the bible DOES say that the Firmament (heavens, universe, whatever..) was created after the earth. That is my point completely. We know better, therefore a literal interpretaion of this passage is laughably impossible.

Sampo, Gen. 1 says that the firmament was created and placed to divide between the waters above and below. That is talking about an atomsphere, not the cosmos and distant galaxies.

So the water and air of day two prepare an anvironment for the fish and birds on day 5.

The majority of the account is 'earth-centered' because it is communication with mankind. No conflict here at all!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Originally posted by lucaspa
The Bible says several times that the earth is immovable. The only way for this to be possible is for the earth to be the center of the solar system and for the sun and planets to go around it.

I Chronicles 16:30, Psalm 93:1, Psalm 96:10, and Psalm 104:5.  ...

Lucaspa, the phrase 'moved' in each of these passages is a poetic expression of speech.

I Chron. 16:30 Fear before him, all the earth: the world also shall be stable, that it be not moved.

Ps. 93:1 The LORD reigneth, he is clothed with majesty; the LORD is clothed with strength, wherewith he hath girded himself: the world also is stablished, that it cannot be moved.

Ps. 96:10 Say among the heathen that the LORD reigneth: the world also shall be established that it shall not be moved: he shall judge the people righteously.

Ps. 104:5 Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever.

If the earth cannot move, then it could not revolve! Or it could not shake! Certainly these writers had experienced an earthquake or two in their life.

I think what is REALLY being said here is that God is in control and therefore the earth will endure. We can ultimately trust in Him.

Upvote 0

Sinai

Apr 2, 2002
Visit site
✟1,762.00
Faith
Protestant
Several of you have raised questions regarding the first chapter of Genesis' usage of the terms "water" and "firmament"--and whether the Bible's terminology is consistent with scientific evidence. Your interpretations seem to be primarily based upon the KJV translation. Although what you describe is a valid interpretation of what the Hebrew might be saying, it is by no means the only interpretation, since the Hebrew words used have several valid meanings.

For example, the Hebrew hammayim most commonly is translated as water, which is the way the KJV translates it. However, it can also mean a chaotic mixture--and you will find that some of the most respected Jewish biblical scholars (writing 700-1200 years ago, which is well before modern scientific discoveries) believed that chaotic mixture was probably the better meaning of the term as it is used in the first eight verses of Genesis.

The KJV's translation of the Hebrew raqia as firmament is probably not as justifiable, since the more common usage of that term is expanse, though the word has a number of other possible meanings as well.

Thus, the scriptures could be describing the separation of continents and oceans on the second day--but then it appears that God may repeat the action one day later. Or it could be a division between sky and sea. Or it could be the formation of the heavenly expanse (the stars and solar systems of the Milky Way could be formed at this time), which would have a more cosmic meaning.

The Hebrew could support any of these interpretations.

Upvote 0

Sinai

Apr 2, 2002
Visit site
✟1,762.00
Faith
Protestant
The Gap theory (also known as the Interval and Restitution theory, the Divine Judgment theory, and the Recreation theory) was more popular about 50-80 years ago than it is now. The Gap theory is usually largely based upon the fact that Hebrew tends to be more general and less specific than English or Greek. Thus, Hebrew words can often have a wider range of meanings.

In the first part of Genesis 1:2 ["and the earth it was formless, void and empty"], the verb hayethah (which is generally translated "it was") can also be translated as "it became." Proponents of the Gap Theory therefore generally claim that Genesis 1:2 should be translated to read "and the earth became formless, void and empty" rather than using the more common translation of the phrase. This theory generally uses passages (primarily in Isaiah and Ezekiel) regarding the fall of Satan or Lucifer to bolster the theory that the world was created in Gen. 1:1 but became formless and void because of Satan's fall, and then creation continued in verse two.

There are, however, some proponents of the Gap theory who go about it slightly differently. Instead of translating hayethah as "it became" they use verse one of Genesis to emphasize that God had created the Earth "in the beginning" of creation, but by verse two, the Earth was formless, void and empty. These persons tend to ignore the fact that Hebrew had no single word for universe and that the Hebrew phrase "the heavens and the earth" is the Hebrew equivalent of the English word universe.

Upvote 0
Look in <I>The Biblical Flood: A Case History of the Church's Response to Extrabiblical Evidence</I> by Davis A Young and <I>Genesis and Geology</I>.&nbsp; The "unbelievers" were Christian <B>ministers</B>.&nbsp; In those days, nearly all naturalists were ministers, especially in England where geology really got its start.&nbsp; The people who learned that the earth was millions of years old were Rev. Whewell, Rev. Sedgwick, Rev. Buckland, etc.

Although some were believers, the main proponent was Charles Lyell (either agnostic or atheist).

In the first part of Genesis 1:2 ["and the earth it was formless, void and empty"], the verb <I>hayethah</I> (which is generally translated "it was") can also be translated as "it became."

It is possible, but very unlikely.

For example, the Hebrew <I>hammayim</I> most commonly is translated as water, which is the way the KJV translates it. However, it can also mean a chaotic mixture--and you will find that some of the most respected Jewish biblical scholars (writing 700-1200 years ago, which is well before modern scientific discoveries) believed that chaotic mixture was probably the better meaning of the term as it is used in the first eight verses of Genesis.

I think that you are slightly confused. &lt;shamayim&gt; is the word translated "heavens, atmosphere", &lt;mayim&gt; is the word translated as "water". As mentioned elsewhere, the best interpretation for Gen 1:6-8 is that the "expanse" is the atmosphere, and the waters divided are the clouds and such being separated from the oceans. Gen 1:9-14 would then refer to the cosmos.

Upvote 0
Just a few comments to the various replies:

"In the beginning God Created the heaven and the earth." Here we have the initial formation of the Time-Space-Matter of the cosmos. Time began when God created space and matter, the initial building blocks off all that is seen and unseen. But on day one, the earth/matter was without form, that is, it was unformed and uninhabitable.

Isaiah 45:18 For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.
&nbsp;

On the first day God created the Light. This is energy that is required for life to exist on the earth of God's making. It should be noted that the sun was not made till day four, which is not a problem for our God. He created the light on day one and the sun to project the light on day four. He did not need the sun to create the suns rays or any spectrum of light. He is not limited as man tries to make Him.

Tha
The day is thine, the night also is thine: thou hast prepared the light and the sun. Psalm 74:16

God then divided the light from the darkness which suggests that God then gave the earth a spin.

&nbsp;
Job 26:7 He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.

God called the light Day and the Darkness He called Night. "And evening and the morning were the first day."&nbsp;&nbsp; This is the simple definition of a DAY that a child can understand, that consists of a period of light and then darkness just as we see it today.

I do not understand how the unbelievers have devised to place millions of years between one of the days that God created. It is utter folly. They are&nbsp;wresting the scriptures unto their own destruction.

--------------------------------------------------------------

As to the age of the earth, it can be clearly added up if you look to Genesis 1:1-2:5, chapter 5, 10, 11, coupled with 1 Chronicles, Mathew 1, and Luke 3. It is very hard to get millions of years from this.

Upvote 0