✟15,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jeremiah 31:36-38
36“I am as likely to reject my people Israel as I am to abolish the laws of nature!”37This is what the LORD says:“Just as the heavens cannot be measured and the foundations of the earth cannot be explored,so I will not consider casting them away for the evil they have done.I, the LORD, have spoken!38“The day is coming,” says the LORD, “when all Jerusalem will be rebuilt for me, from the Tower of Hananel to the Corner Gate. 39A measuring line will be stretched out over the hill of Gareb and across to Goah. 40And the entire area—including the graveyard and ash dump in the valley, and all the fields out to the Kidron Valley on the east as far as the Horse Gate—will be holy to the LORD. The city will never again be captured or destroyed.”

Hosea 3
1Then the LORD said to me, “Go and love your wife again, even though she commits adultery with another lover. This will illustrate that the LORD still loves Israel, even though the people have turned to other gods and love to worship them.”
2So I bought her back for fifteen pieces of silver and five bushels of barley and a measure of wine. 3Then I said to her, “You must live in my house for many days and stop your prostitution. During this time, you will not have sexual relations with anyone, not even with me.”4This shows that Israel will go a long time without a king or prince, and without sacrifices, sacred pillars, priests, or even idols! 5But afterward the people will return and devote themselves to the LORD their God and to David’s descendant, their king. In the last days, they will tremble in awe of the LORD and of his goodness.

Hosea 11:8-11
8“Oh, how can I give you up, Israel? How can I let you go? How can I destroy you like Admah or demolish you like Zeboiim? My heart is torn within me, and my compassion overflows. 9No, I will not unleash my fierce anger. I will not completely destroy Israel, for I am God and not a mere mortal. I am the Holy One living among you, and I will not come to destroy. 10For someday the people will follow me. I, the LORD, will roar like a lion. And when I roar, my people will return trembling from the west. 11Like a flock of birds, they will come from Egypt. Trembling like doves, they will return from Assyria. And I will bring them home again,” says the LORD.

Amos 9:14-15
14I will bring my exiled people of Israel back from distant lands, and they will rebuild their ruined cities and live in them again. They will plant vineyards and gardens; they will eat their crops and drink their wine. 15I will firmly plant them there in their own land. They will never again be uprooted from the land I have given them,” says the LORD your God.

Romans 11
1I ask, then, has God rejected his own people, the nation of Israel? Of course not! I myself am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham and a member of the tribe of Benjamin.

2No, God has not rejected his own people, whom he chose from the very beginning. Do you realize what the Scriptures say about this? Elijah the prophet complained to God about the people of Israel and said, 3“LORD, they have killed your prophets and torn down your altars. I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me, too.” 4And do you remember God’s reply? He said, “No, I have 7,000 others who have never bowed down to Baal!” 5It is the same today, for a few of the people of Israel have remained faithful because of God’s grace—his undeserved kindness in choosing them. 6And since it is through God’s kindness, then it is not by their good works. For in that case, God’s grace would not be what it really is—free and undeserved. 7So this is the situation: Most of the people of Israel have not found the favor of God they are looking for so earnestly. A few have—the ones God has chosen—but the hearts of the rest were hardened. 8As the Scriptures say, “God has put them into a deep sleep. To this day he has shut their eyes so they do not see, and closed their ears so they do not hear.”9Likewise, David said,“Let their bountiful table become a snare, a trap that makes them think all is well. Let their blessings cause them to stumble, and let them get what they deserve. 10Let their eyes go blind so they cannot see, and let their backs be bent forever.” 11Did God’s people stumble and fall beyond recovery? Of course not! They were disobedient, so God made salvation available to the Gentiles. But he wanted his own people to become jealous and claim it for themselves. 12Now if the Gentiles were enriched because the people of Israel turned down God’s offer of salvation, think how much greater a blessing the world will share when they finally accept it. 13I am saying all this especially for you Gentiles. God has appointed me as the apostle to the Gentiles. I stress this, 14for I want somehow to make the people of Israel jealous of what you Gentiles have, so I might save some of them. 15For since their rejection meant that God offered salvation to the rest of the world, their acceptance will be even more wonderful. It will be life for those who were dead! 16And since Abraham and the other patriarchs were holy, their descendants will also be holy—just as the entire batch of dough is holy because the portion given as an offering is holy. For if the roots of the tree are holy, the branches will be, too. 17But some of these branches from Abraham’s tree—some of the people of Israel—have been broken off. And you Gentiles, who were branches from a wild olive tree, have been grafted in. So now you also receive the blessing God has promised Abraham and his children, sharing in the rich nourishment from the root of God’s special olive tree. 18But you must not brag about being grafted in to replace the branches that were broken off. You are just a branch, not the root.
19“Well,” you may say, “those branches were broken off to make room for me.” 20Yes, but remember—those branches were broken off because they didn’t believe in Christ, and you are there because you do believe. So don’t think highly of yourself, but fear what could happen. 21For if God did not spare the original branches, he won’t spare you either. 22Notice how God is both kind and severe. He is severe toward those who disobeyed, but kind to you if you continue to trust in his kindness. But if you stop trusting, you also will be cut off. 23And if the people of Israel turn from their unbelief, they will be grafted in again, for God has the power to graft them back into the tree. 24You, by nature, were a branch cut from a wild olive tree. So if God was willing to do something contrary to nature by grafting you into his cultivated tree, he will be far more eager to graft the original branches back into the tree where they belong. God’s Mercy Is for Everyone 25I want you to understand this mystery, dear brothers and sisters, so that you will not feel proud about yourselves. Some of the people of Israel have hard hearts, but this will last only until the full number of Gentiles comes to Christ. 26And so all Israel will be saved. As the Scriptures say,“The one who rescues will come from Jerusalem, and he will turn Israeli away from ungodliness. 27And this is my covenant with them, that I will take away their sins.” 28Many of the people of Israel are now enemies of the Good News, and this benefits you Gentiles. Yet they are still the people he loves because he chose their ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. 29For God’s gifts and his call can never be withdrawn. 30Once, you Gentiles were rebels against God, but when the people of Israel rebelled against him, God was merciful to you instead. 31Now they are the rebels, and God’s mercy has come to you so that they, too, will sharek in God’s mercy. 32For God has imprisoned everyone in disobedience so he could have mercy on everyone. 33Oh, how great are God’s riches and wisdom and knowledge! How impossible it is for us to understand his decisions and his ways! 34For who can know the LORD’s thoughts? Who knows enough to give him advice?l 35And who has given him so much that he needs to pay it back? 36For everything comes from him and exists by his power and is intended for his glory. All glory to him forever! Amen.

• Informative
Reactions: Mr. M

Myke101

Apr 4, 2020
Oregon
✟15,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ezekiel 36
1“Son of man, prophesy to Israel’s mountains. Give them this message: O mountains of Israel, hear the word of the LORD! 2This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Your enemies have taunted you, saying, ‘Aha! Now the ancient heights belong to us!’ 3Therefore, son of man, give the mountains of Israel this message from the Sovereign LORD: Your enemies have attacked you from all directions, making you the property of many nations and the object of much mocking and slander. 4Therefore, O mountains of Israel, hear the word of the Sovereign LORD. He speaks to the hills and mountains, ravines and valleys, and to ruined wastes and long-deserted cities that have been destroyed and mocked by the surrounding nations. 5This is what the Sovereign LORD says: My jealous anger burns against these nations, especially Edom, because they have shown utter contempt for me by gleefully taking my land for themselves as plunder.

6“Therefore, prophesy to the hills and mountains, the ravines and valleys of Israel. This is what the Sovereign LORD says: I am furious that you have suffered shame before the surrounding nations. 7Therefore, this is what the Sovereign LORD says: I have taken a solemn oath that those nations will soon have their own shame to endure.

8“But the mountains of Israel will produce heavy crops of fruit for my people—for they will be coming home again soon! 9See, I care about you, and I will pay attention to you. Your ground will be plowed and your crops planted. 10I will greatly increase the population of Israel, and the ruined cities will be rebuilt and filled with people. 11I will increase not only the people, but also your animals. O mountains of Israel, I will bring people to live on you once again. I will make you even more prosperous than you were before. Then you will know that I am the LORD. 12I will cause my people to walk on you once again, and you will be their territory. You will never again rob them of their children.

13“This is what the Sovereign LORD says: The other nations taunt you, saying, ‘Israel is a land that devours its own people and robs them of their children!’ 14But you will never again devour your people or rob them of their children, says the Sovereign LORD. 15I will not let you hear those other nations insult you, and you will no longer be mocked by them. You will not be a land that causes its nation to fall, says the Sovereign LORD.”

16Then this further message came to me from the LORD: 17“Son of man, when the people of Israel were living in their own land, they defiled it by the evil way they lived. To me their conduct was as unclean as a woman’s menstrual cloth. 18They polluted the land with murder and the worship of idols,a so I poured out my fury on them. 19I scattered them to many lands to punish them for the evil way they had lived. 20But when they were scattered among the nations, they brought shame on my holy name. For the nations said, ‘These are the people of the LORD, but he couldn’t keep them safe in his own land!’ 21Then I was concerned for my holy name, on which my people brought shame among the nations.

22“Therefore, give the people of Israel this message from the Sovereign LORD: I am bringing you back, but not because you deserve it. I am doing it to protect my holy name, on which you brought shame while you were scattered among the nations. 23I will show how holy my great name is—the name on which you brought shame among the nations. And when I reveal my holiness through you before their very eyes, says the Sovereign LORD, then the nations will know that I am the LORD. 24For I will gather you up from all the nations and bring you home again to your land.

25“Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean. Your filth will be washed away, and you will no longer worship idols. 26And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony, stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart.b 27And I will put my Spirit in you so that you will follow my decrees and be careful to obey my regulations.

28“And you will live in Israel, the land I gave your ancestors long ago. You will be my people, and I will be your God. 29I will cleanse you of your filthy behavior. I will give you good crops of grain, and I will send no more famines on the land. 30I will give you great harvests from your fruit trees and fields, and never again will the surrounding nations be able to scoff at your land for its famines. 31Then you will remember your past sins and despise yourselves for all the detestable things you did. 32But remember, says the Sovereign LORD, I am not doing this because you deserve it. O my people of Israel, you should be utterly ashamed of all you have done!

33“This is what the Sovereign LORD says: When I cleanse you from your sins, I will repopulate your cities, and the ruins will be rebuilt. 34The fields that used to lie empty and desolate in plain view of everyone will again be farmed. 35And when I bring you back, people will say, ‘This former wasteland is now like the Garden of Eden! The abandoned and ruined cities now have strong walls and are filled with people!’ 36Then the surrounding nations that survive will know that I, the LORD, have rebuilt the ruins and replanted the wasteland. For I, the LORD, have spoken, and I will do what I say.

37“This is what the Sovereign LORD says: I am ready to hear Israel’s prayers and to increase their numbers like a flock. 38They will be as numerous as the sacred flocks that fill Jerusalem’s streets at the time of her festivals. The ruined cities will be crowded with people once more, and everyone will know that I am the LORD.”

Upvote 0

Myke101

Apr 4, 2020
Oregon
✟15,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ezekiel 37
1The LORD took hold of me, and I was carried away by the Spirit of the LORD to a valley filled with bones. 2He led me all around among the bones that covered the valley floor. They were scattered everywhere across the ground and were completely dried out. 3Then he asked me, “Son of man, can these bones become living people again?”

“O Sovereign LORD,” I replied, “you alone know the answer to that.”

4Then he said to me, “Speak a prophetic message to these bones and say, ‘Dry bones, listen to the word of the LORD! 5This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Look! I am going to put breath into you and make you live again! 6I will put flesh and muscles on you and cover you with skin. I will put breath into you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the LORD.’”

7So I spoke this message, just as he told me. Suddenly as I spoke, there was a rattling noise all across the valley. The bones of each body came together and attached themselves as complete skeletons. 8Then as I watched, muscles and flesh formed over the bones. Then skin formed to cover their bodies, but they still had no breath in them.

9Then he said to me, “Speak a prophetic message to the winds, son of man. Speak a prophetic message and say, ‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Come, O breath, from the four winds! Breathe into these dead bodies so they may live again.’”

10So I spoke the message as he commanded me, and breath came into their bodies. They all came to life and stood up on their feet—a great army.

11Then he said to me, “Son of man, these bones represent the people of Israel. They are saying, ‘We have become old, dry bones—all hope is gone. Our nation is finished.’ 12Therefore, prophesy to them and say, ‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says: O my people, I will open your graves of exile and cause you to rise again. Then I will bring you back to the land of Israel. 13When this happens, O my people, you will know that I am the LORD. 14I will put my Spirit in you, and you will live again and return home to your own land. Then you will know that I, the LORD, have spoken, and I have done what I said. Yes, the LORD has spoken!’”

Reunion of Israel and Judah

15Again a message came to me from the LORD: 16“Son of man, take a piece of wood and carve on it these words: ‘This represents Judah and its allied tribes.’ Then take another piece and carve these words on it: ‘This represents Ephraim and the northern tribes of Israel.’a 17Now hold them together in your hand as if they were one piece of wood. 18When your people ask you what your actions mean, 19say to them, ‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says: I will take Ephraim and the northern tribes and join them to Judah. I will make them one piece of wood in my hand.’

20“Then hold out the pieces of wood you have inscribed, so the people can see them. 21And give them this message from the Sovereign LORD: I will gather the people of Israel from among the nations. I will bring them home to their own land from the places where they have been scattered. 22I will unify them into one nation on the mountains of Israel. One king will rule them all; no longer will they be divided into two nations or into two kingdoms. 23They will never again pollute themselves with their idolsb and vile images and rebellion, for I will save them from their sinful apostasy.c I will cleanse them. Then they will truly be my people, and I will be their God.

24“My servant David will be their king, and they will have only one shepherd. They will obey my regulations and be careful to keep my decrees. 25They will live in the land I gave my servant Jacob, the land where their ancestors lived. They and their children and their grandchildren after them will live there forever, generation after generation. And my servant David will be their prince forever. 26And I will make a covenant of peace with them, an everlasting covenant. I will give them their land and increase their numbers,d and I will put my Temple among them forever. 27I will make my home among them. I will be their God, and they will be my people. 28And when my Temple is among them forever, the nations will know that I am the LORD, who makes Israel holy.”

Zechariah 12
1Thisa message concerning the fate of Israel came from the LORD: “This message is from the LORD, who stretched out the heavens, laid the foundations of the earth, and formed the human spirit. 2I will make Jerusalem like an intoxicating drink that makes the nearby nations stagger when they send their armies to besiege Jerusalem and Judah. 3On that day I will make Jerusalem an immovable rock. All the nations will gather against it to try to move it, but they will only hurt themselves.

4“On that day,” says the LORD, “I will cause every horse to panic and every rider to lose his nerve. I will watch over the people of Judah, but I will blind all the horses of their enemies. 5And the clans of Judah will say to themselves, ‘The people of Jerusalem have found strength in the LORD of Heaven’s Armies, their God.’

6“On that day I will make the clans of Judah like a flame that sets a woodpile ablaze or like a burning torch among sheaves of grain. They will burn up all the neighboring nations right and left, while the people living in Jerusalem remain secure.

7“The LORD will give victory to the rest of Judah first, before Jerusalem, so that the people of Jerusalem and the royal line of David will not have greater honor than the rest of Judah. 8On that day the LORD will defend the people of Jerusalem; the weakest among them will be as mighty as King David! And the royal descendants will be like God, like the angel of the LORD who goes before them! 9For on that day I will begin to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem.

10“Then I will pour out a spiritb of grace and prayer on the family of David and on the people of Jerusalem. They will look on me whom they have pierced and mourn for him as for an only son. They will grieve bitterly for him as for a firstborn son who has died. 11The sorrow and mourning in Jerusalem on that day will be like the great mourning for Hadad-rimmon in the valley of Megiddo.

12“All Israel will mourn, each clan by itself, and with the husbands separate from their wives. The clan of David will mourn alone, as will the clan of Nathan, 13the clan of Levi, and the clan of Shimei. 14Each of the surviving clans from Judah will mourn separately, and with the husbands separate from their wives.

I know this is a lot of material to read but this is all Holy scripture that is not debatable. If no one accepts this message then that's between them and GOD.

Isaiah 6:8-13
8Then I heard the Lord asking, “Whom should I send as a messenger to this people? Who will go for us?”

I said, “Here I am. Send me.”

9And he said, “Yes, go, and say to this people,

‘Listen carefully, but do not understand.

Watch closely, but learn nothing.’

10Harden the hearts of these people.

Plug their ears and shut their eyes.

That way, they will not see with their eyes,

nor hear with their ears,

nor understand with their hearts

and turn to me for healing.”b

11Then I said, “Lord, how long will this go on?”

And he replied,

“Until their towns are empty,

their houses are deserted,

and the whole country is a wasteland;

12until the LORD has sent everyone away,

and the entire land of Israel lies deserted.

13If even a tenth—a remnant—survive,

it will be invaded again and burned.

But as a terebinth or oak tree leaves a stump when it is cut down,

so Israel’s stump will be a holy seed.”

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This future these Old Testament prophets were talking about was fulfilled in the New Covenant.

As we are IN the New Covenant at this moment, we have to pray about our part in its continuing fulfilment.

What does "full number of gentiles has come in" mean? Whom are we keeping waiting?

Then there are metaphors: does not church history itself also show the same cycles as the old nation of Judah & Israel?

What is the quality of our "coming in"? To my mind the questions are endless. But that's just me!

Lamps go out Rev 2-3

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
As we are IN the New Covenant at this moment, we have to pray about our part in its continuing fulfilment.

What does "full number of gentiles has come in" mean? Whom are we keeping waiting?

Then there are metaphors: does not church history itself also show the same cycles as the old nation of Judah & Israel?

What is the quality of our "coming in"? To my mind the questions are endless. But that's just me!

Lamps go out Rev 2-3
The first church expected immanent return of Christ, in their generation, as Christ said.

So, "the full number of gentiles" in this context was the time period between the cross and the second coming of Christ which they expected right after the judgement over Jerusalem in 70 AD.

Upvote 0

Myke101

Apr 4, 2020
Oregon
✟15,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Lamps go out Rev 2-3
First off the New Covenant is talking about the Aaronic Priesthood not the Davidic or Abrahamic Covenant Hebrews 9 is strictly talking about priestly duties and worship. That is it.

for your second point those are not metaphors I mean how literal can actual name of a group of people and land can you get. where does this say in the bible that this is metaphorical?

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I was simply pointing out that it is so, in addition to literal, merely as part of a general theology discussion. Lamps go out Rev 2-3. Priesthood is now extended to us all - and its main duty is interceding.

However flawed the responses in schisms for example have been specifically, each time many people feel they are answering a call of God and then through the example or questioning that arises, there is often felt to be a call of God by some on the "other side" to mend their act somehow, and so it carries on. That's how some church teachers apply dynamics that were illustrated in the OT, at various continuing levels, in addition to their most concrete ones.

God has to keep grafting in, and calling to not get grafted out. Because of hardening of hearts at Massah and Meribah, the people found themselves without "rest" for 38 and a half years. In effect, this sort of thing keeps happening.

Of course the literal - which isn't complete yet - is major. I wasn't saying anything more than that!

Upvote 0

Myke101

Apr 4, 2020
Oregon
✟15,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was simply pointing out that it is so, in addition to literal, merely as part of a general theology discussion. Lamps go out Rev 2-3. Priesthood is now extended to us all - and its main duty is interceding.

However flawed the responses in schisms for example have been specifically, each time many people feel they are answering a call of God and then through the example or questioning that arises, there is often felt to be a call of God by some on the "other side" to mend their act somehow, and so it carries on. That's how some church teachers apply dynamics that were illustrated in the OT, at various continuing levels, in addition to their most concrete ones.

God has to keep grafting in, and calling to not get grafted out. Because of hardening of hearts at Massah and Meribah, the people found themselves without "rest" for 38 and a half years. In effect, this sort of thing keeps happening.

Of course the literal - which isn't complete yet - is major. I wasn't saying anything more than that!
you are right. I can get fired up about these topics. I guess it is best that I leave it at that and not be a jerk anymore. sorry to come off rude.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure any of you were rude. These topics always repay examination and re-examination. I was grateful that a certain fellowship I belonged to, whilst it was of mixed calibre in some ways, at least whetted my appetite for these things. The calling of God to our hearts is the recurrent theme, and repentance is mainly reflected in intercession for all of the others, in inferred assurance (Holy Spirit power for caring). The signs of the times mean all sorts of things, all at once. I'm of mixed religious ancestry myself. So, lovely topic & lovely comments!

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jeremiah 31:36-38
36“I am as likely to reject my people Israel as I am to abolish the laws of nature!”37This is what the LORD says:“Just as the heavens cannot be measured and the foundations of the earth cannot be explored,so I will not consider casting them away for the evil they have done.I, the LORD, have spoken!38“The day is coming,” says the LORD, “when all Jerusalem will be rebuilt for me, from the Tower of Hananel to the Corner Gate. 39A measuring line will be stretched out over the hill of Gareb and across to Goah. 40And the entire area—including the graveyard and ash dump in the valley, and all the fields out to the Kidron Valley on the east as far as the Horse Gate—will be holy to the LORD. The city will never again be captured or destroyed.”

Hosea 3
1Then the LORD said to me, “Go and love your wife again, even though she commits adultery with another lover. This will illustrate that the LORD still loves Israel, even though the people have turned to other gods and love to worship them.”
2So I bought her back for fifteen pieces of silver and five bushels of barley and a measure of wine. 3Then I said to her, “You must live in my house for many days and stop your prostitution. During this time, you will not have sexual relations with anyone, not even with me.”4This shows that Israel will go a long time without a king or prince, and without sacrifices, sacred pillars, priests, or even idols! 5But afterward the people will return and devote themselves to the LORD their God and to David’s descendant, their king. In the last days, they will tremble in awe of the LORD and of his goodness.

Hosea 11:8-11
8“Oh, how can I give you up, Israel? How can I let you go? How can I destroy you like Admah or demolish you like Zeboiim? My heart is torn within me, and my compassion overflows. 9No, I will not unleash my fierce anger. I will not completely destroy Israel, for I am God and not a mere mortal. I am the Holy One living among you, and I will not come to destroy. 10For someday the people will follow me. I, the LORD, will roar like a lion. And when I roar, my people will return trembling from the west. 11Like a flock of birds, they will come from Egypt. Trembling like doves, they will return from Assyria. And I will bring them home again,” says the LORD.

Amos 9:14-15
14I will bring my exiled people of Israel back from distant lands, and they will rebuild their ruined cities and live in them again. They will plant vineyards and gardens; they will eat their crops and drink their wine. 15I will firmly plant them there in their own land. They will never again be uprooted from the land I have given them,” says the LORD your God.

Romans 11
1I ask, then, has God rejected his own people, the nation of Israel? Of course not! I myself am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham and a member of the tribe of Benjamin.

2No, God has not rejected his own people, whom he chose from the very beginning. Do you realize what the Scriptures say about this? Elijah the prophet complained to God about the people of Israel and said, 3“LORD, they have killed your prophets and torn down your altars. I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me, too.” 4And do you remember God’s reply? He said, “No, I have 7,000 others who have never bowed down to Baal!” 5It is the same today, for a few of the people of Israel have remained faithful because of God’s grace—his undeserved kindness in choosing them. 6And since it is through God’s kindness, then it is not by their good works. For in that case, God’s grace would not be what it really is—free and undeserved. 7So this is the situation: Most of the people of Israel have not found the favor of God they are looking for so earnestly. A few have—the ones God has chosen—but the hearts of the rest were hardened. 8As the Scriptures say, “God has put them into a deep sleep. To this day he has shut their eyes so they do not see, and closed their ears so they do not hear.”9Likewise, David said,“Let their bountiful table become a snare, a trap that makes them think all is well. Let their blessings cause them to stumble, and let them get what they deserve. 10Let their eyes go blind so they cannot see, and let their backs be bent forever.” 11Did God’s people stumble and fall beyond recovery? Of course not! They were disobedient, so God made salvation available to the Gentiles. But he wanted his own people to become jealous and claim it for themselves. 12Now if the Gentiles were enriched because the people of Israel turned down God’s offer of salvation, think how much greater a blessing the world will share when they finally accept it. 13I am saying all this especially for you Gentiles. God has appointed me as the apostle to the Gentiles. I stress this, 14for I want somehow to make the people of Israel jealous of what you Gentiles have, so I might save some of them. 15For since their rejection meant that God offered salvation to the rest of the world, their acceptance will be even more wonderful. It will be life for those who were dead! 16And since Abraham and the other patriarchs were holy, their descendants will also be holy—just as the entire batch of dough is holy because the portion given as an offering is holy. For if the roots of the tree are holy, the branches will be, too. 17But some of these branches from Abraham’s tree—some of the people of Israel—have been broken off. And you Gentiles, who were branches from a wild olive tree, have been grafted in. So now you also receive the blessing God has promised Abraham and his children, sharing in the rich nourishment from the root of God’s special olive tree. 18But you must not brag about being grafted in to replace the branches that were broken off. You are just a branch, not the root.
19“Well,” you may say, “those branches were broken off to make room for me.” 20Yes, but remember—those branches were broken off because they didn’t believe in Christ, and you are there because you do believe. So don’t think highly of yourself, but fear what could happen. 21For if God did not spare the original branches, he won’t spare you either. 22Notice how God is both kind and severe. He is severe toward those who disobeyed, but kind to you if you continue to trust in his kindness. But if you stop trusting, you also will be cut off. 23And if the people of Israel turn from their unbelief, they will be grafted in again, for God has the power to graft them back into the tree. 24You, by nature, were a branch cut from a wild olive tree. So if God was willing to do something contrary to nature by grafting you into his cultivated tree, he will be far more eager to graft the original branches back into the tree where they belong. God’s Mercy Is for Everyone 25I want you to understand this mystery, dear brothers and sisters, so that you will not feel proud about yourselves. Some of the people of Israel have hard hearts, but this will last only until the full number of Gentiles comes to Christ. 26And so all Israel will be saved. As the Scriptures say,“The one who rescues will come from Jerusalem, and he will turn Israeli away from ungodliness. 27And this is my covenant with them, that I will take away their sins.” 28Many of the people of Israel are now enemies of the Good News, and this benefits you Gentiles. Yet they are still the people he loves because he chose their ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. 29For God’s gifts and his call can never be withdrawn. 30Once, you Gentiles were rebels against God, but when the people of Israel rebelled against him, God was merciful to you instead. 31Now they are the rebels, and God’s mercy has come to you so that they, too, will sharek in God’s mercy. 32For God has imprisoned everyone in disobedience so he could have mercy on everyone. 33Oh, how great are God’s riches and wisdom and knowledge! How impossible it is for us to understand his decisions and his ways! 34For who can know the LORD’s thoughts? Who knows enough to give him advice?l 35And who has given him so much that he needs to pay it back? 36For everything comes from him and exists by his power and is intended for his glory. All glory to him forever! Amen.
The Church is Israel. He's still blessing us. Just the unbelievers are gone.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First, God has not abandoned Israel. Jews were used by Jesus to get the Gospel message started. Plus, Jesus used Jews to write New Covenant Canon Scripture.

But there are Jews who have refused.

But now we have people who were Gentiles, who now are God's children . . . because of what God used Jews to start.

And we are God's living temple . . . we are the living stones, like Peter a Jew says in 1 Peter 2:4-5. This is what God has used a Jew to write. So, Jews are included, to say the least! :idea:

So, now . . . if God does have a physical temple get built, it will just be physical. So, even if it is what God means by His prophecy, a merely physical temple will not be as important and as valuable as God's people who are the temple of the Holy Spirit > in 1 Corinthians 3:17 Paul a Jew says >

"the temple of God is holy, which temple you are." (in 1 Corinthians 3:17)

And our Apostle Paul . . . a Jew . . . has said we are God's "household" >

"Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit." (in Ephesians 2:19-22)

We are not metaphorical.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Therefore I tell you that the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people who will produce its fruit.“

The Kingdom of God has now been taken away from the Jews and given to a nation producing the fruits thereof.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The first church expected immanent return of Christ, in their generation, as Christ said.
As I recall Paul said it wouldn’t happen until the man of sin was revealed. So I don’t see they thought it was immediate. Paul and Peter both knew they would die first.
So, "the full number of gentiles" in this context was the time period between the cross and the second coming of Christ which they expected right after the judgement over Jerusalem in 70 AD.
I doubt they thought this. Jesus said his second coming would be without signs. Means no way of knowing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
As I recall Paul said it wouldn’t happen until the man of sin was revealed. So I don’t see they thought it was immediate. Paul and Peter both knew they would die first.
I doubt they thought this. Jesus said his second coming would be without signs. Means no way of knowing.
Paul first thought that he will be alive when Christ will return (we who will be alive... will be transformed), but later he changed his expectations when he got the prophecy that he will die in Rome.

Peter was said by Jesus that he will die as a martyr, so no surprise here that he expected that.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul first thought that he will be alive when Christ will return (we who will be alive... will be transformed), but later he changed his expectations when he got the prophecy that he will die in Rome.
That verse doesn’t establishe he thought that of himself. “We” includes all believers. And he believed in the resurrection which this describes.
Peter was said by Jesus that he will die as a martyr, so no surprise here that he expected that.
Its very likely Paul knew of that prophesy so did not believe Jesus was coming til after Peter had died. By that time he was already dead or soon to follow.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First off the New Covenant is talking about the Aaronic Priesthood not the Davidic or Abrahamic Covenant Hebrews 9 is strictly talking about priestly duties and worship. That is it.

for your second point those are not metaphors I mean how literal can actual name of a group of people and land can you get. where does this say in the bible that this is metaphorical?
The Old Covenant related to God as one who lived in a tent/tabernacle (Exodus) or in a temple (Solomon - Herod).

Paul, a Christian Jew of the Diaspora, was conversing with some of the men of Athens and told them God does not live in houses built by hands. Some Gentiles liked Paul. They were receiving the Holy Spirit without becoming circumcised as circumcision is a change of appearance, not a reforming of the mind. Even the ancient Egyptians before the Jewish religion circumcised.

Acts 17:22 Paul stood in the middle of the Areopagus, and said, “You men of Athens, I perceive that you are very religious in all things. 23 For as I passed along and observed the objects of your worship, I also found an altar with this inscription: ‘TO AN UNKNOWN GOD.’ What therefore you worship in ignorance, I announce to you. 24 The God who made the world and all things in it, he, being Lord of heaven and earth, doesn’t dwell in temples made with hands. 25 He isn’t served by men’s hands, as though he needed anything, seeing he himself gives to all life and breath, and all things. 26 He made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the surface of the earth, having determined appointed seasons, and the boundaries of their dwellings, 27 that they should seek the Lord, if perhaps they might reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 28 ‘For in him we live, move, and have our being.’ As some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are also his offspring.’ 29 Being then the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold, or silver, or stone, engraved by art and design of man. 30 The times of ignorance therefore God overlooked. But now he commands that all people everywhere should repent, 31 because he has appointed a day in which he will judge the world in righteousness by the man whom he has ordained; of which he has given assurance to all men, in that he has raised him from the dead.”

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First, God has not abandoned Israel. Jews were used by Jesus to get the Gospel message started. Plus, Jesus used Jews to write New Covenant Canon Scripture.

But there are Jews who have refused.

But now we have people who were Gentiles, who now are God's children . . . because of what God used Jews to start.

And we are God's living temple . . . we are the living stones, like Peter a Jew says in 1 Peter 2:4-5. This is what God has used a Jew to write. So, Jews are included, to say the least! :idea:

So, now . . . if God does have a physical temple get built, it will just be physical. So, even if it is what God means by His prophecy, a merely physical temple will not be as important and as valuable as God's people who are the temple of the Holy Spirit > in 1 Corinthians 3:17 Paul a Jew says >

"the temple of God is holy, which temple you are." (in 1 Corinthians 3:17)

And our Apostle Paul . . . a Jew . . . has said we are God's "household" >

"Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit." (in Ephesians 2:19-22)

We are not metaphorical.
Jesus is the true vine. Only those who remain in him are Israel. He removed all who rejected him. If any accept him, as Paul did, one of the broken off, they are grafted back into Israel, among the rest of the believers in Christ.

• Agree
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0