Nowhere
✟36,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
So I went to confession for the first time in many years yesterday, and while I was allowed to commune, I got a penance. For some reason, it never occurred to me that you could get a penance without being excommunicated altogether. And the stranger thing is, I'm glad the priest gave it to me and actually expects me to check in with him. I look at it less as a punishment and more as an opportunity to pray more, especially now that we're coming in on Great Lent.

Anyway, you learn something new every day. Now I gotta work on Slavonic since the cathedral I attend is almost exclusively in Slavonic... (This is not an impediment for me; I happen to love it.)

It's amazing how quickly God has wiped away the atheistic way of thinking from me. Here I thought that this was going to be extremely difficult.

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
So I went to confession for the first time in many years yesterday, and while I was allowed to commune, I got a penance. For some reason, it never occurred to me that you could get a penance without being excommunicated altogether. And the stranger thing is, I'm glad the priest gave it to me and actually expects me to check in with him. I look at it less as a punishment and more as an opportunity to pray more, especially now that we're coming in on Great Lent.

Anyway, you learn something new every day. Now I gotta work on Slavonic since the cathedral I attend is almost exclusively in Slavonic... (This is not an impediment for me; I happen to love it.)

It's amazing how quickly God has wiped away the atheistic way of thinking from me. Here I thought that this was going to be extremely difficult.

So are you saying you were an atheist but have now changed? How did you start becoming an atheist and how did you change your mind again, if you don't mind my asking?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Glory to God!

I think that sounds like how penances are supposed to work. :)

I'm so happy for you!

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

yep, the penance is to heal. we are sick and in need of (sometimes a tad bitter) medicine, not that we are bad and need to be punished.

glad it is working out for you! glory to God!

Upvote 0

SeraphimSarov

Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...
Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟36,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
So are you saying you were an atheist but have now changed? How did you start becoming an atheist and how did you change your mind again, if you don't mind my asking?

It's more complicated than that. I can PM you if you'd like to read a book* about it.

*Attempt at humour.

Upvote 0