• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

The "Free Will" Dilemma

Discussion in 'Salvation (Soteriology)' started by EgonTowst, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janxharris

janxharris Veteran

+48
    United Kingdom
    Married
    Deuteronomy 30:2
    and when you and your children return to the Lord your God and obey him with all your heart and with all your soul according to everything I command you today,

Of course, this would only happen when they stop resisting the Holy Spirit.

Deuteronomy 28 - the blessing and the curses...

2. janxharris

janxharris Veteran

+48
    United Kingdom
    Married
    Stephen was talking to the Sanhedrin, so he is making the point they are as they are because they have resisted the Holy Spirit. He is not saying everyone has resisted the Holy Spirit.

3. janxharris

janxharris Veteran

+48
    United Kingdom
    Married
    Surely the Holy Spirit comes upon all men, but, as Acts 7:51 says, it can be resisted.

Perhaps I didn't choose my words carefully.

It talks in Romans 1 of men and women being 'given over' to there lusts..in other words, if you continue in your sin then the Holy Spirit will draw back. That is my understanding, anyway.

4. janxharris

janxharris Veteran

+48
    United Kingdom
    Married
    All people may well be instructed, just as all children might be taught at school; it doesn't prevent the possibility that some children might have learnt just about nothing when they leave.

The 'we' of:
    while we wait for the blessed hope and appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ.

might only refer to believers and those that might believe.

5. janxharris

janxharris Veteran

+48
    United Kingdom
    Married
    Can't we just talk about the Holy Spirit?

6. janxharris

janxharris Veteran

+48
    United Kingdom
    Married
    Al just did.

7. janxharris

janxharris Veteran

+48
    United Kingdom
    Married
    It is not necessarily a problem for the Calvinist, but the return to the land and the circumcision of the heart follow a 'returning to the lord'. Of course, as I have already said, such 'returning to the lord' happens under the guidance of the Holy Spirit and when we do not resist Him.

8. janxharris

janxharris Veteran

+48
    United Kingdom
    Married
    Yes.

9. janxharris

janxharris Veteran

+48
    United Kingdom
    Married
    I meant that the Holy Spirit comes upon all men and His influence is felt, but that does not mean that He (the HS) is heeded.

10. janxharris

janxharris Veteran

+48
    United Kingdom
    Married
    Why do I have to define it?

11. janxharris

janxharris Veteran

+48
    United Kingdom
    Married
    This is a misrepresentation griff.

Acts 7:51

12. janxharris

janxharris Veteran

+48
    United Kingdom
    Married
    As you have said, the HS is a Him, which men resist.

You do agree that the HS is resisted don't you?

13. janxharris

janxharris Veteran

+48
    United Kingdom
    Married
    Firstly, why would you think the Holy Spirit doesn't work on all men?

Romans 1:18-24; Romans 2:14,15.

I can't see that Jn 15:18-25 defines 'world' as you say it does.

14. janxharris

janxharris Veteran

+48
    United Kingdom
    Married
    I, too, find it difficult to understand what you are trying to say shturt678.

15. crimsonleaf

crimsonleaf Guest

+0
    That's a separate issue. I'm illustrating that omniscience and free will aren't incompatible as Ed has argued.

16. janxharris

janxharris Veteran

+48
    United Kingdom
    Married
    And I agree with you.

17. crimsonleaf

crimsonleaf Guest

+0
    Oz has taken these verses out of context to prove a non-existent point. I'm not going to debate the same non-existent point against you. Read the preceding 10 verses for context, then we can discuss it if you wish.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2013
  18. crimsonleaf

crimsonleaf Guest

+0
    You haven't answered my question. This verse says nothing about changing their unrepentant hearts.

However, this may help you:

"But to this day the LORD has not given you a heart to understand or eyes to see or ears to hear." (Deu 29:4)

Who provides the means to understand Janx? Show me the prevenient grace given to ALL men.

19. The Boxer

The Boxer Fighting the good fight

+125
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Verse 31 goes on to say that God has given "all men the assurance that He has raised Jesus from the dead."

If "all" means what you say it means, then explain how some men who had heard of the resurrection of Christ denied it.

Furthermore, there were Gentiles in Paul's time who had never heard of Jesus Christ and His resurection. Yet it says that God has given "all men" the assurance of it.

It is very clear, unless one has an agenda to redefine ALL in a a priori fashion to agree with one's theology.

20. janxharris

janxharris Veteran

+48
    United Kingdom
    Married
    Understand what? See or hear what?

Romans 2:14,15; Romans 1:18 onwards; John 16:8; Acts 7:51

Show me that the Holy Spirit does not come to all men. Why would ever consider that God would withhold himself from some men? That would be unfair wouldn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.