Visit site
✟13,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How many of you had the Eucharist explained to you as the Fourth Cup? I never had until a few months ago I came across an article on it. Not that I doubt my faith, but to me, this really re-enforces what I believe as a Catholic. And I'm not even looking at John 6! In a nutshell:

John 19:23. Christ had a linen garment without a seam. This is what the Priest were to wear when they sacrificed the Passover Lamb.

Matthew 27:45-50. Jesus' sacrifice is at 3:00 pm. The same hour in which the Passover Lamb was sacrificed. This time, then, would be the fulfillment of Ex.12:6 and the phrase "kill their lambs in the evening" The Jews have always understood the first evening to begin at approx. 3:00 pm and the second evening to begin the moment the sun sets.

The two thieves had their legs broken but Jesus did not because he had already died. John 19:36 fulfills Scripture that "Not a bone of him shall be broken." The Passover Lamb is not to have any of its bones broken, Exodus 12:46.

When Jesus says he thirts (John 19:28), he is offered vinegar on a hyssop branch. A hyssop branch is one that was used to spread the blood of the sacrificed lamb, Exodus 12:22.

Jesus then says, after receiving the vinegar, "It is finished." What is finished? Here is where Protestants will tell you that the once and for all sacrifice is finished, thus making the Eucharist idolatry or something like that. But, take another look at what is finished.

Look at the Passover. It starts with a blessing, passing of bread and drinking from the first four cups of wine. Psalms are sung, story of deliverance read and then the second cup of wine is drunk and the eating of the bread, herbs, and sauce (into which Judas and others dip bread). Then the meal itself is eaten. The third cup is drunk. More Psalms and before the final, and fourth, cup is drunk.

Jesus did not drink of the fourth cup. Mark 14:25. He does it on the cross, showing us that the Passover Sacrifice of the Lamb of God, the first born Son, and the High Priest, started not on the cross but in the upper room at the Last Supper. The Passover now becomes the Eucharist, the center of our worship.

Paraphrased excerpts from:

www.catholiccatechist.org/Catholic_Catechist/Sacraments/ Eucharist/HOLY_EUCHARIST.doc

I think this is just a fascinating study on the Eucharist. There is more to the Eucharist than John 6. This is so important. Holy Communion is so much more than a quarterly remembrance. God bless Holy Mother Church, the Bride of Christ.

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Jukes:

Have you read what Scott Hahn has to say about the Fourth Cup? I believe his discourse is located on the Catholic Answers website.

FYI, Scott Hahn and his wife, Kimberly, were educated together as Protestant ministers, and Scott's personal research took him to the extensive study of the covenant as created between God and the Jewish people. This covenant principle then led him to study the Last Supper, which he found to be so inline with Catholic teaching, he felt he had no other recourse but to become Catholic. FASCINATING STORY!

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jukes!!

I did some poking around on the 'Net, and Scott Hahn is no longer affiliated with Catholic Answers. However, I DID find a website that has some of his more memorable discourses in transcript form.

His teaching on the Fourth Cup is here:
http://www.ewtn.com/library/answers/4thCup.htm

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.