The fortress at Masada in Israel

Was Masada the fulfillment of any Bible prophecies?

• Yes, it does sound like it could be

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No I don't think so

• I don't know right now

• Other

• Total voters

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I really had not studied on Masada much until I watched a video of it from a person who had made 4 videos of 70ad Jerusalem.

It has been mentioned that a lot of Christian Jews had fled Jerusalem when they had heard reports of the Roman campaign against Jewish rebel cities and making their way to the City. The City most often mentioned the Christian Jews fled to was Pella.

But a group of Jewish Zealots fled to Masada, the final Jewish fortress stronghold left.

https://www.bible-history.com/resource/ff_masada.htm

Decades after Jesus’ death, Zealots engineered a revolt against Rome. The uprising was brutally stamped out and ended with Jerusalem’s destruction in 70 AD.
Survivors fled to Masada, a fortress built by Herod near the Dead Sea. Today, the excavated remains of Masada have become a national symbol for all Israelis.

Here 900 Zealots held out until the year 73. Then, the inevitable day came when 15,000 Roman troops breached its walls. Since it was late in the day, the Romans delayed the final attack until dawn. That night the survivors met and voted for suicide, rather than for capture...................

At dawn, the Romans poured through the breached walls. Fires burned quietly everywhere. A ghostly stillness hung over the air. Finally, 2 old women and 3 small children came out of hiding to tell the story. The contemporary Jewish historian Josephus concludes his report of Masada with these striking words:

"When the Romans saw the mass of slain, they were unable to take pleasure in the sight, even though the people were their enemies." -Jewish Wars FLAVIUS JOSEPHUS

The tragedy at Masada and the destruction of Jerusalem was the inevitable outcome that the Jewish leaders and their followers would face for the tragedy of all tragedies when they forced the hand of Pilate to order the crucifixion of their Messiah.

Luke 13:34-35 "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, but you were not willing! Behold! Your house is left to you desolate; and assuredly, I say to you, you shall not see Me until the time comes when you say, 'Blessed is He who comes in the name of the LORD!' "
========================================
What I like about this vid is that it gives a summary of the entire events from the start of the Jewish wars in 63ad.

Look at what the Romans had to engineer in order to scale the walls!!!

They had to almost literally build a small mountain!

Last edited:

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
That Roman siege ramp was no small feat!
aerial_view_of_masada_israel_01.jpg

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Today, the excavated remains of Masada have become a national symbol for all Israelis

I understand that all inductees into the modern Israeli army take their oath in Fortress Masada.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That Roman siege ramp was no small feat!
I was simply in awe when I saw that.
I posted 3 70ad Jerusalem videos at bottom, made by the same person for those interested. It is almost like watching a live movie of that event
They are truly remarkable........
Matthew 24:
2Amen I am saying to ye, not no may be being left here stone upon stone, which not shall be being thrown-down<2647>.”
Mark 13:
Not no may be being left here stone upon stone which not no may be being thrown-down<2647>
Luke 21:
Shall be coming days in which not shall be being left stone upon stone here which not shall be being thrown-down<2647>
Luke 19:
41 And as He nears, beholding the City, and He laments on Her,
43 That shall be arriving days upon Thee,
and Thy enemies shall be casting up a rampart/siege-work to Thee
and shall be encompassing Thee,
and pressing Thee from-every-side.
44 And shall be leveling Thee and Thy offspring in Thee,
and not shall be leaving stone upon stone in Thee,............

The Destruction of Jerusalem - George Peter Holford, 1805AD

History records few events more generally interesting than the destruction of Jerusalem, and the subversion of the Jewish state, by the arms of the Romans. -- Their intimate connexion with the dissolution of the Levitical economy, and the establishment of Christianity in the world ; the striking verification which they afford of so many of the prophecies, both of the Old and New Testament, and the powerful arguments of the divine authority of the Scriptures which are thence derived ; the solemn warnings and admonitions which they hold out to all nations, but especially such as are favoured with the light and blessings of REVELATION ; together with the impressive and terrific grandeur of the events themselves -- are circumstances which must always insure to the subject of the following pages more than ordinary degrees of interest and importance. Many eminent and learned men have employed their pens in the illustration of it ; but the fruits of their labours are, for the most part, contained in large and expensive works, out of the reach of numbers, to whom the discussion might prove equally interesting and improving.

Before their final demolition, however, Titus took, a. survey of the city and its fortifications ; and, while contemplating their impregnable strength, could not help ascribing his success to the peculiar interposition of the ALMIGHTY HIMSELF. "Had not God himself (exclaimed he) aided out operations, and driven the Jews from their fortresses, it would have been absolutely impossible to have taken them ; for what could men, and the force of engines, have done against such towers as these ?" After this he commanded that the city should be commanded razed to its foundations, excepting only the three lofty towers Hippocos, Phasael, and Mariamne, which he suffered to remain as evidences of its strength, and as trophies of his victory.

In executing the command of Titus, relative to the demolition of Jerusalem, the Roman soldiers not only threw down the buildings, but even dug up their foundations, and so completely levelled the whole circuit of the city, that a stranger would scarcely have known that it had ever been inhabited by human beings. Thus was this great City, which only five months before, had been crowded with nearly two millions of people,
=====================================================
BEST VIEWED WITH FULL SCREEN

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,820.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I have been to Masada.
My wife and I took the cable car to the top, where the temperature was 50o Celsius. I kid you not; it was 50! We had to dodge between shady places, but we saw the amazing Roman ramp and Herods palace.
There is a very good movie; Masada, with Peter O'Toole as the Roman general.

The Jews today do swear in their troops there, but they never acknowledge the Lord's help in their battles. They now face Judgment and punishment and only a remnant will survive. Romans 9:27

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
How many mountain fortresses did the Jews have in the 1st century
When I did a google search asking that, it took me to Masada.
Masada means fortress. 70ad Jerusalem was also considered a fortress.

Masada - Wikipedia

Masada (Hebrew: מצדה‬ metsada, "fortress")[1] is an ancient fortification in the Southern District of Israel situated on top of an isolated rock plateau, akin to a mesa. It is located on the eastern edge of the Judaean Desert, overlooking the Dead Sea 20 km (12 mi) east of Arad.

Herod the Great built two palaces for himself on the mountain and fortified Masada between 37 and 31 BCE.
=============================================''

So I looked up where "fortress/es" was used in the Bible and the majority of times is in that great King of the North and King of the South war of Daniel 11...........

4013 mibtsar mib-tsawr' also (in plural) feminine (Dan. 11:l5) mibtsarah {mib-tsaw-raw'}; from 1219;
a fortification, castle, or fortified city; figuratively, a defender:--(de-, most) fenced, fortress, (most) strong (hold).
H4013 מִבְצָר (mibtsar), occurs 37 times in 37 verses

Genesis 1:1 (NKJV)
"fortress"occurs 20 times in 20 verses

Genesis 1:1 (NKJV)
"fortresses" occurs 8 times in 8 verses

Dan 11:
7But out of a shoot from her roots shall one stand up in his place, who shall come to the army, and shall enter into the fortress of the king of the north, and shall deal against them, and shall prevail.
8Also their gods, with their molten images, [and] with their goodly vessels of silver and of gold, shall he carry captive into Egypt; and he shall refrain some years from the king of the north. 9He shall come into the realm of the king of the south, but he shall return into his own land.
10His sons shall war, and shall assemble a multitude of great forces, which shall come on, and overflow, and pass through; and they shall return and war, even to his fortress.

19Then he shall turn his face toward the fortresses of his own land; but he shall stumble and fall, and shall not be found.

31Forces shall stand on his part, and they shall profane the sanctuary, even the fortress, and shall take away the continual [burnt offering], and they shall set up the abomination that makes desolate.
32Such as do wickedly against the covenant shall he pervert by flatteries; but the people who know their God shall be strong, and do [exploits]. 33Those who are wise among the people shall instruct many; yet they shall fall by the sword and by flame, by captivity and by spoil, [many] days.

38 “But in their place he shall honor a god of fortresses; and a god which his fathers did not know he shall honor with gold and silver, with precious stones and pleasant things.
39 “Thus he shall act against the strongest fortresses with a foreign god, which he shall acknowledge, and advance its glory; and he shall cause them to rule over many, and divide the land for gain.
====================================

Isa 25:12
The fortress of the high fort of your walls
He will bring down, lay low,
And bring to the ground, down to the dust.

Isa 34:13
And thorns shall come up in its palaces,
Nettles and brambles in its fortresses;
It shall be a habitation of jackals,
A courtyard for ostriches.

Hos 10:14
Therefore tumult shall arise among your people,
And all your fortresses shall be plundered
As Shalman plundered Beth Arbel in the day of battle—
A mother dashed in pieces upon her children.

Zep 3:6
“I have cut off nations,
Their fortresses are devastated;
I have made their streets desolate,
With none passing by.
Their cities are destroyed;
There is no one, no inhabitant.

Last edited:
Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
we saw the amazing Roman ramp and Herods palace.

Looking at that ramp today one has to wonder how they got their siege engines to the top. Perhaps they were built at the bottom and hauled up piece by piece to be reassembled at the top?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Looking at that ramp today one has to wonder how they got their siege engines to the top.
Perhaps they were built at the bottom and hauled up piece by piece to be reassembled at the top?
Perhaps they had a little help "from above" :angel:
=====================
The Destruction of Jerusalem - George Peter Holford, 1805AD

Before their final demolition, however, Titus took a survey of the city and its fortifications ;
and, while contemplating their impregnable strength, could not help ascribing his success to the peculiar interposition of the ALMIGHTY HIMSELF.
"Had not God himself
(exclaimed he) aided out operations, and driven the Jews from their fortresses, it would have been absolutely impossible to have taken them ;
for what could men, and the force of engines, have done against such towers as these ?"

After this he commanded that the city should be commanded razed to its foundations, excepting only the three lofty towers Hippocos, Phasael, and Mariamne, which he suffered to remain as evidences of its strength, and as trophies of his victory.
There was left standing, also, a small part of the western wall; as a rampart for a garrison, to keep the surrounding country in subjection.
===============================
Zephaniah1:
15That day is a day of wrath, a day of distress and anguish, a day of trouble and ruin, a day of darkness and gloom, a day of clouds and blackness,
16a day of the trumpet and alarm, against the fortified cities, and against the high towers.
17I will bring distress on men, that they will walk like blind men, because they have sinned against Yahweh,
and their blood will be poured out like dust, and their flesh like dung.
18Neither their silver nor their gold will be able to deliver them in the day of Yahweh's wrath,
but the whole land will be devoured by the fire of his jealousy; for he will make an end, yes, a terrible end, of all those who dwell in the land.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Before their final demolition, however, Titus took a survey of the city and its fortifications ;
and, while contemplating their impregnable strength, could not help ascribing his success to the peculiar interposition of the ALMIGHTY HIMSELF.
"Had not God himself
(exclaimed he) aided out operations, and driven the Jews from their fortresses, it would have been absolutely impossible to have taken them ;
for what could men, and the force of engines, have done against such towers as these ?"

What is the source --- the original source --- of this quotation?

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The tragedy at Masada and the destruction of Jerusalem was the inevitable outcome that the Jewish leaders and their followers would face for the tragedy of all tragedies when they forced the hand of Pilate to order the crucifixion of their Messiah.

I am convinced that the trial before Pilate was a foregone conclusion... a trial in name only. The Bible, however, portrays Pontius Pilate as a reasonable person, a gentleman who thought Jesus was innocent, albeit a little deluded. We also get the impression that Pilate is somewhat of a wimp in that he allows himself to be manipulated by the high priest and elders into executing Jesus.

In truth this portrayal of Pilate is far from factual. He was an ambitious, greedy and brutal man. He once ordered his troops into the temple to loot the treasury. It must be noted that he was not the first nor the last Roman governor to do this. This serves to indicate just how much he was swayed by the opinions or threats of the elders or the high priest who was after all his personal appointee. He was also responsible for the suppression of a number of rebellions at great loss of life. His main objective during his tenure of office seems to have been to be to see just how much he could get away with in offending Jewish religious sensibilities. He was eventually dismissed from office by the emperor for "causing an unnecessary massacre". I suppose that this is by way of contrast to all the necessary massacres he was responsible for. Are these the marks of a wimp? of a reasonable man? Certainly not! The trial of Jesus, if there was one, was in name only. Jesus had challenged Roman political authority...Jesus must die.

The High Priest, the Sadducees and the Herodians did not have to force Pilate's hand in the least.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
LittleLambofJesus said:
"Had not God himself (exclaimed he) aided out operations, and driven the Jews from their fortresses, it would have been absolutely impossible to have taken them ;
What is the source --- the original source --- of this quotation?
that was according to Josephus from that site.
However, I decided to do a google search on the phrase he used and came up with these sites. Just do a google search like I did............

"Had not God himself (exclaimed he) aided out operations, and driven the Jews from their fortresses",

"Had not God himself (exclaimed he) aided out operations, and driven the Jews from their fortresses, - Google Search

Light and Truth: Collected from the Bible and Ancient and Modern ..
https://books.google.com/books?id=OPAFAAAAIAAJ

Robert Benjamin Lewis - 1844 - ‎African Americans
He exclaimed, " Had not God himself aided our operations, and driven the Jews from their fortresses, it would have been absolutely impossible to have taken ...
Cabinet of Curiosities: Natural, Artificial, and Historical

https://books.google.com/books?id=upsRAAAAIAAJ

Samuel Griswold Goodrich - 1822 - ‎Curiosities and wonders
fell on their faces, and deplored their own infatuation. ... After this, all annoyance from the Jews being at an end, the soldiers gave an unbridled license to their fury against the ... The vial of divine wrath, which had been so long pouring out upon this ... Had not God himself, (exclaimed he,) aided our operations, and driven the ...
The Revelation Rainbow
- Page 622 - Google Books Result
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=1457546701

Charles Walter Doughty - 2016 - ‎Religion
and the Jews, lately so-haughty and presumptuous now, trembling and ... They ranged through the streets with drawn swords in their hands, murdering every Jew ... The vial of divine wrath, which had been so long pouring out upon this ... “Had not God himself (exclaimed he) aided operations, and driven the Jews from their ...
The Columbian class book: consisting of geographical, historical and ...

https://books.google.com/books?id=YWgNAAAAYAAJ

Abraham T. Lowe - 1829 - ‎Readers
The vial of divine wrath which had been so long pouring out upon this devoted city, ... Had not God himself, (exclaimed he) aided our operations, and driven the Jews from their fortresses, it would have been absolutely impossible to have taken ...
The Destruction of Jerusalem: Including a Narrative of the ...

https://books.google.com/books?id=RdIPAAAAYAAJ

George Holford - 1858 - ‎Jerusalem
Including a Narrative of the Calamities which Befell the Jews ; with a Brief Description of ... The vial of divine wrath, which had been so long pouring out upon this devoted city, ... Had not God himself," exclaimed he, " aided our operations, and driven the Jews from their fortresses, it would have been absolutely impossible to ...
The Jewish Roman World of Jesus | The Jewish World of Jesus: An ...

The Jewish World of Jesus: An Overview
He rebuilt the Temple in Jerusalem with a fortress on its corner (Antonia), and in .... plans were carried out; Jews living in Jerusalem were driven out and not permitted ... God had revealed himself and his plan for his people; but if the king or the ...
Missing: (exclaimed ‎aided ‎operations,
Legends of the Jews 4:10 - Sefaria

https://www.sefaria.org › ... › Aggadic Midrash › Legends of the Jews › Volume 4

Nevertheless he did not keep faith with Nebuchadnezzar for long. ... Zedekiah could not refrain from exclaiming: "O yes, Nebuchadnezzar, whom I ..... His determination to attack the Holy City ripened only after God Himself had ..... Why hast Thou driven out my children, slain them with swords, left them at the mercy of their ...
Missing: operations, ‎fortresses,
Chapter 1: The Destruction of Jerusalem | Religious Studies Center

https://rsc.byu.edu/archived/view-hebrews-1825.../chapter-1-destruction-jerusalem

But alas, we find recorded of this city, temple, and nation of the Jews, a fatal reverse. ... The outside one, (most remarkable for its workmanship) was secured with ninety ... A tower adorned each square of this fortress; one of which was seventy ...... He exclaimed, “Had not God himself aided our operations, and driven the ...

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Herod the Great built palaces and fortresses in the Dead Sea area. Jesus Christ Superstar was filmed in the area between Advat National Park and Masada National Park in Israel. Herod the Great built much structures in this area...

The Ruins of King Herod in Advat....

And King Herod's song... Masada cannot be too far from this place...

Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,820.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Did the fall of Masada fulfill any Bible prophecies?
No. Only how the Jews would be conquered and the survivors enslaved. Luke 21:20-24

You mentioned other fortresses; the others built by Herod were the Herodium, near Bethlehem where he was buried and Machaerus, on the eastern side of the Dead Sea; now in Jordanian territory. I have been there.
What interests me about Machaerus, is how that name is pronounced exactly as my surname: McKerras. Which is Scottish, meaning; son of Fergus.
But Machaerus is Greek, meaning sword. And my forum name; Keras or Keraz is Hebrew for messenger.

Here is my message, that the Jewish State of Israel will soon be gone:
An interesting prophecy in Ezekiel 21:14 says how Judah will experience the great Sword of slaughter three times. First the Babylonian conquest in 586 BC. Then the Roman conquest in 70-135 AD. Next to come is the Lord's Day of fiery wrath that will wipe them out, Ezekiel 21:1-13, Isaiah 22:14, Zephaniah 1:14-18, and only a remnant will survive. Romans 9:27, Isaiah 6:13

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This site on the Jewish Wars mentions Jerusalem and Masada:

"Ye will hear of battles and rumors of battles" 1st century Judea

Matthew 24:6
Yet ye shall be being about to be hearing battles and tidings of battles, be seeing! be not be being troubled<2360>, for is binding to becoming,
but not as yet the End<5056>

https://www.preteristarchive.com/JewishWars/timeline_military.html

CAST OF CHARACTERS: Roman: Emperor Nero | General Vespasian | General Titus | The Roman Army || Jewish: General / Historian Josephus | Factional Leaders in Jerusalem || Administrators of Roman Judea Targets: Jerusalem | Herod's Temple // Maps of the Roman Invasion // Theological Timeline

CHRONOLOGY IMMEDIATELY SURROUNDING THE WAR

Stage 1: Murder of James the Just, "Opposition High Priest" ; Irrevocable Split: 62
Stage 2: General Revolt in Jerusalem; Zealot Occupation of Masada: August-September 66
Stage 3: The Campaign of Cestius Gallus and the Defeat of the Twelfth Legion: October-November 66
Stage 4: End of Collaborative Government, Priesthood ; General Flight: November 66 - March 67
Part 6: Vespasian Subdues Northern and Western Palestine: December 66 - December 68
Part 7: Three-way Power Struggle within Jerusalem After Roman Retreat: January 68 - May 70
Part 8: Romans Breach City Walls and Leave Jerusalem Desolate: May 10 - September 10, 70
============================
A few places in the OT that mention "rebels".....would make for an interesting study

Strong's Concordance with Hebrew and Greek Lexicon

Isai 1:23

Your rulers/princes are rebels, partners with thieves; they all love bribes and chase after gifts. They do not defend the cause of the fatherless; the widow's case does not come before them.
28 - But rebels and sinners shall be broken together, and those who forsake the LORD shall be consumed.

Ezek 20:38
I will purge the rebels from among you, and those who transgress against Me; I will bring them out of the country where they dwell, but they shall not enter the land of Israel. Then you will know that I am the LORD.

Hos 5:2
The rebels
are knee-deep in slaughter. I will discipline all of them.

Dan 8:23
“In the latter part of their reign, when rebels have become completely wicked, a fierce-looking king, a master of intrigue, will arise.

Last edited:
Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0