The Fool Says there is No God.

Mechanical Bliss

Secrecy and accountability cannot co-exist.
Nov 3, 2002
A^2
Visit site
✟21,365.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by JohnR7
It takes a heart transplant to become a Christian. God takes out the heart of stone, and He puts in a Heart of Flesh. That means that before someone is a Christian, they are unloving, uncaring, without feelings toward others.  Then God puts in a heart of flesh and they become loving, caring, compassionate, understanding and so forth. They take on the nature of God.

Oh come on... :(

What you are implying is that every non-Christian is unloving, uncaring, and without feelings toward others. In fact, you're basically saying that outright. You should know that to be a ridiculous falsehood.

Upvote 0
It takes a heart transplant to become a Christian. God takes out the heart of stone, and He puts in a Heart of Flesh. That means that before someone is a Christian, they are unloving, uncaring, without feelings toward others.  Then God puts in a heart of flesh and they become loving, caring, compassionate, understanding and so forth. They take on the nature of God.

Thank you, Senator Lott.

Upvote 0
This reminds me of the joke I read a while back (in a news story about the research dubbed 'world's funniest joke').

"Doctor, I had a Freudian slip last night. I was having dinner with my mother-in-law. I meant to say, 'could you please pass the butter.' But instead, I said, 'you stupid cow! You've ruined my entire life!'"

haha... now
"Doctor, I had a Freudian slip last night. I was having a conversation with some Christians and non-Christians. I meant to say 'God is love.' But instead, I said, 'you guys are all dirt.'"

Upvote 0

Humanista

Empirically Speaking
Sep 21, 2002
Visit site
✟12,499.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private

I meant a literal heart transplant, a medical procedure. But you knew that.

How can you show that everyone who is not a Christain is unloving, uncaring and without feelings toward others? Or are you selectively defining these terms? (Only Christians are "really" loving, caring, compassionate, understanding.)

You could start by defining what those terms mean and how a non-Christian who exemplifies them is NOT loving, compassionate, etc.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Humanista
How can you show that everyone who is not a Christain is unloving, uncaring and without feelings toward others? Or are you selectively defining these terms? (Only Christians are "really" loving, caring, compassionate, understanding.) 

Christian are to be the "light" of the world and the "salt" of the earth. In simple terms that means we are to set an example for others. Many people believe that if you were to take the christians out of the world, that mankind would quickly destroy itself.

A study of polytheism and the prechristian world, shows a world that was pretty much ruled by power and might. Often the only protection a person had, was what his family, clan or tribe was able to provide for them.

I come from the Anglican's who were known to be able to fight great battles from horseback, and later they were known for their armor. I have a friend from Sweden who talks about how his ancestors were Vikings and know for their ability to fight a battle.

When Jesus came onto the scene, his followers just assumed that he was going to put together an army and lead them in a battle to defeat the Romans. He had other plans and they had a very difficult time trying to understand what He was talking about.

Matthew 5:44-46
    But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, [45] that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
A study of polytheism and the prechristian world, shows a world that was pretty much ruled by power and might. Often the only protection a person had, was what his family, clan or tribe was able to provide for them.

And this is different from modern times how exactly?

Upvote 0

I come from the Anglican's who were known to be able to fight great battles from horseback, and later they were known for their armor. I have a friend from Sweden who talks about how his ancestors were Vikings and know for their ability to fight a battle.

What were the Indians under King Asoka known for?

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by ifriit
Amazing. Here I thought I was loving, caring, and empathetic, but apparently I'm not! It's a good thing John's ***** knows more about me than I do! :rolleyes:

Jeremiah 17:9
    "The heart is deceitful above all things,
    And desperately wicked;
    Who can know it?

Many people are deceived into thinking they are good. But it depends on what standard you use. If you watch a Jerry Springer show, we are all saints compared to what he shows us.

But when you go by the standard that Jesus sets, then we all fall short of being where we should or could be in God's love.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
JohnR7 - A study of polytheism and the prechristian world, shows a world that was pretty much ruled by power and might. Often the only protection a person had, was what his family, clan or tribe was able to provide for them.

Jerry: What were the Indians under King Asoka known for?

JohnR7: Who is King Asoka?

He's a counterexample:

ASOKA
c.299 BC - 237
King of India
Asoka was ancient India's greatest ruler. His grandfather Chandragupta Maurya of Magadha had established the first Indian empire. When Asoka succeeded to the throne he tried to complete the conquest of the Indian peninsula. In the course of his conquests, however, Asoka became so disgusted by the cruelty of warfare that he renounced it. He adopted the peaceful doctrines of Buddhism and declared that henceforth his conquests should be conquests of religion. All over the land he set up inscriptions rehearsing the teachings of Buddha, and missionaries were sent to Kashmir, Persia, and Ceylon. But soon after Asoka's death the Mauryan empire disintegrated.

from http://www.hyperhistory.com/online_n2/people_n2/ppersons2_n2/asoka.html

One counterexample among quite a few.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
John, could you actually address her questions without rambling off on a tangent, please?

Interpertation: "I don't like your answer, could you please give me the one I wanted to hear".

2 Tim. 4:3  For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers;

There are lots of people, who for a price, will be more than glad to tell you exactly what you want to hear.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Jerry Smith
One counterexample among quite a few.

Like I said, I am a Christian and a student of the Bible. Of course we feel we have something better to offer than Buddism. China is the main Buddhist nation. India is mostly Hindu. Right now China is converting very fast to Christianity.

Upvote 0
JohnR7: Interpertation: "I don't like your answer, could you please give me the one I wanted to hear".

[...]

There are lots of people, who for a price, will be more than glad to tell you exactly what you want to hear.
Should I call you names, too, John? Slanderer comes to mind.

Humanista asked you a question. Your reply did not answer that question. It's not a matter of "not hearing what I want to hear."

So, here's the question again: How can you show that everyone who is not a Christain is unloving, uncaring and without feelings toward others?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
So, here's the question again: How can you show that everyone who is not a Christain is unloving, uncaring and without feelings toward others?

How can you show that non christians are as loving and careing with as much compassion as Christians have? Christianity sets the standard for others to follow. We have the power and the strength of God working in us. We have the healings and the miracles of God working though us. We have eternal life to offer, not just a better life here and now.

Upvote 0
Christian are to be the "light" of the world and the "salt" of the earth. In simple terms that means we are to set an example for others. Many people believe that if you were to take the christians out of the world, that mankind would quickly destroy itself.
Christians aren't the light of the world. Christianity has been the cause of war, terrorism, and oppression, and it has stood in the way of moral and scientific progress.

“The careful student of history will discover that Christianity has been of very little value in advancing civilization, but has done a great deal toward retarding it”
--Matilda Joslyn Gage

“When the theologian governed the world, it was covered with huts and hovels for the many, palaces and cathedrals for the few. To nearly all the children of men, reading and writing were unknown arts. The poor were clad in rags and skins -- they devoured crusts, and gnawed bones. The day of Science dawned, and the luxuries of a century ago are the necessities of to-day. Men in the middle ranks of life have more of the conveniences and elegancies than the princes and kings of the theological times. But above and over all this, is the development of mind. There is more of value in the brain of an average man of to-day -- of a master-mechanic, of a chemist, of a naturalist, of an inventor, than there was in the brain of the world four hundred years ago.
These blessings did not fall from the skies. These benefits did not drop from the outstretched hands of priests. They were not found in cathedrals or behind altars -- neither were they searched for with holy candles. They were not discovered by the closed eyes of prayer, nor did they come in answer to superstitious supplication. They are the children of freedom, the gifts of reason, observation and experience -- and for them all, man is indebted to man.”
-- Robert Green Ingersoll

Upvote 0
JohnR7: How can you show that non christians are as loving and careing with as much compassion as Christians have?
I can't. Heck, I can't even get you people to agree on what a Christian is in the first place.

However, in the end, none of that makes your position right. It's your claim--put up or shut up!
JohnR7: Christianity sets the standard for others to follow. We have the power and the strength of God working in us. We have the healings and the miracles of God working though us. We have eternal life to offer, not just a better life here and now.
So you say, but I don't believe you.

Upvote 0
Hey ifriit, no offense buddy, but usually "shut up!" doesn't make a good argument. The people who are on this site and thread are people who are giving and looking for answers. People don't appreciate others telling them to shut up, especially when the basis for your arguments are: "Shut up!" and "I don't believe you." We appreciate facts, not fights!

Besides, you don't believe someone who tells you that they have God working in them, but you believe someone who tells you that you were created by chance!!!

God Bless, Willowolf : )

Upvote 0
Willowolf: Hey ifriit, no offense buddy, but usually "shut up!" doesn't make a good argument. The people who are on this site and thread are people who are giving and looking for answers. People don't appreciate others telling them to shut up, especially when the basis for your arguments are: "Shut up!" and "I don't believe you." We appreciate facts, not fights!
Perhaps you haven't read the thread fully, then. John has asserted that non-Christians are not loving, caring, nor empathetic. That's downright insulting. I've requested that he either substantiate his assertion or withdraw it. If he didn't want a fight, well, perhaps he shouldn't have slandered me.
Willowolf: Besides, you don't believe someone who tells you that they have God working in them, but you believe someone who tells you that you were created by chance!!!
:sigh: I'm sorry, but I've lost the ability to believe in spooky magic voodoo. Further, I don't know of anyone who claims we were created by "chance." Perhaps you've heard of the theory of evolution?

Upvote 0