Apr 6, 2006
Georgia
Visit site
✟15,347.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS AN INNOCENT QUESTION...IT IS NOT MEANT TO START A DEBATE!

Okay....I have been studying on this alot lately and am very interested in what others think? Do you believe the flood was global and why or why not? Just looking for HONEST thoughts on an INNOCENT question. TIA! :idea:

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟24,020.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Child_of_Yahweh said:

Okay....I have been studying on this alot lately and am very interested in what others think? Do you believe the flood was global and why or why not? Just looking for HONEST thoughts on an INNOCENT question. TIA! :idea:

I believe it was not global for three reasons:

1. There is not a shred of evidence that the earth was totally covered by water at any point in its history.

2. There is evidence in every geological period that is incompatible with a global flood (if you would like to see some, check out the Quiet Thread in the c&e forum. One post is called The Dry Flood and has evidence that some parts of the earth were very dry in every age.)

3. I do not believe God plants false evidence in geological strata as some sort of "faith" test. IMO, a god who would do such a thing cannot be a God of Truth.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Child_of_Yahweh said:

I do. I just have to agree with the bible on this one. I don't think it alone is responsible for much of the geologic record, though. Perhaps some of the things attributed to the ice age may be a result of the flood? If so, this might help explain why some think no evidence for a flood exists?

Upvote 0
A

applepowerpc

One cannot believe both in a local flood and an inerrant Bible.

Genesis 7:20 The waters rose and covered the mountains to a depth of more than twenty feet.

Even if you take the liberal interpretation to mean the tallest KNOWN mountain, in the region, that still leaves Mount Ararat. Elevation 16,000 feet.

You mean to tell me it rained 40 days and 40 nights, and the earth remained flooded 150 days (Gen. 7:24), to a height of 16,000 feet--in a LOCALITY???? What did it rain, jello? Either fundamental physics is wrong, the Bible is wrong, or it was a global flood.

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
applepowerpc said:
One cannot believe both in a local flood and an inerrant Bible.

Genesis 7:20 The waters rose and covered the mountains to a depth of more than twenty feet.

Even if you take the liberal interpretation to mean the tallest KNOWN mountain, in the region, that still leaves Mount Ararat. Elevation 16,000 feet.

You mean to tell me it rained 40 days and 40 nights, and the earth remained flooded 150 days (Gen. 7:24), to a height of 16,000 feet--in a LOCALITY???? What did it rain, jello? Either fundamental physics is wrong, the Bible is wrong, or it was a global flood.
Biblical literalism comes back to bite you every time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
applepowerpc said:
If you choose to believe the Bible has errors, that is your decision.

Scripture does contain error, just not the kind you are attempting to make out.

With regards to the story of the flood, I believe that scripture is without error is passing down to us and future generations the lessons of God's majesty, power, and redemptive spirit. And it chooses to do so within the context of a myth.

That you choose to believe that this story is written as indicative history and science is your decision.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
applepowerpc said:
If you choose to believe the Bible has errors, that is your decision.

I think you'll agree that it is not necessarily the Bible, but often interpretations that have errors, right? I mean, some people here might think that Scripture is errant, but some don't, and simply disagree with your interpretation.

Upvote 0

LoG

Veteran
Supporter
May 14, 2005
✟70,204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
PaladinValer said:
ice core samples prove otherwise.

No global flood. The evidence proves that.

Not necessarily.

Many ice cores show that there was both a climatic change and dust spike around the time that Noah's flood happened.
Dust spikes could be a result of all vegetation dying leaving the ground without any roots to hold it in place.

Dust spikes in Ice Cores

There are also hundreds of writings all over the world that tell of a worldwide flood. Archeologically, we also know that ancient civilizations came to an end around the time of the flood.

God left a lot of evidence for a worldwide flood.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Child_of_Yahweh

Apr 6, 2006
Georgia
Visit site
✟15,347.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It just really seems to me had it been a "global" flood, how difficult might it have been...not to mention very time consuming for Noah to have "collected" each of the animals from all over the world.(That literally would have taken years) into an ark of the size stated in bible and accomodate Noah and his family too and all of the food that the animals AND the people were to eat. Why then is there also an abundance of a particular animal in some areas of the worls, while in other areas the animals are "endangered"? Also one must take into consideration had EVERYTHING been under water for that period of time....would they have EVER grown back? :scratch: The bible to me reads like the whole thing is referring to the House of Israel, if that is the case , then wouldn't those people only have been effected by the flood? :scratch: I haven't made up my mind on this subject yet.....just trying to get others' views.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, actually that's a valid point.

If you take the measurements literally and the time given, it is mathematically impossible for not only for Noah to have collected all the animals (and, mind you, plenty of marine life would have to be put on the ark too....fresh in salt or salt in fresh can be a deadly mix) or to have fit them all in the ark.

Not to mention that the species afterwords couldn't have been viable. The population and gene pool would have been too low to allow repopulation.

So we have

1) Not enough time (Strike 1)
2) Not enough space (Strike 2)
3) Not enough left to repopulate (Strike 3)

It's outta there!

Upvote 0

TexasSky

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
Texas
✟12,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
When most people look at the account of the flood they consider only "rain" or current surface water (that would include the ice caps). The bible states that it was not just rain.

Genesis 7:11b "The same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened."

There is water in the earth's core. There are mud volcanoes on the shelves and continental slopes. There are cold and hot water gysers around the earth.

I suspect the great flood probably was caused by water from the earth's core breaking out, rather than just water in the atmosphere or surfaces of the earth suddenly, slowly, rising.

If you consider the cataclysmic possibilities it fits the order the bible lays out. The earth opens up and spews water from the core at such a force and heat that this affects the atmosphere, bringing down a rare and very unusual rain.

Despite criticisms of the flood, the fact is, Genesis, the Qur'an, the Critias and Timaeus of Plato, and the Babyloanina Gilgamesh all refer to the flood. In fact, Gilgamesh very closely resembles the biblical account, down to the dove flying out.

Science admits that the world is covered in flood sediment. It has problems over the layering of that sediment, and it has problems with the disbursement of animal life.

People look at current mountain ranges and say it isn't possible. Have they addressed the fact that the height of ranges alters? An earthquake in 2004 caused an uplift of 20 feet at a speed of 240 feet per hour.

If, indeed, water came from within the earth, that means some type of earthquake had to have taken place, reshaping the mountain ranges of the world.

This also explains where the water went. Those who support a catastrophic plate tectonics event believe there was a great water table beneath the earth. Livign over the Ogallala Aquifer, I have little problem with that belief.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
There is water in the earth's core.

i am not educated in geology, but i know how to google.

start with the wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_core
The interior of the Earth, like that of the other terrestrial planets, is chemically divided into layers. The Earth has an outer silicate solid crust, a highly viscous mantle, a liquid outer core that is much less viscous than the mantle, and a solid inner core. The liquid outer core gives rise to a weak magnetic field due to the convection of its electrically conductive material.
The interior of the Earth reaches temperatures of 5650 ± 600 kelvins [3] [4]. The planet's internal heat was originally generated during its accretion (see gravitational binding energy), and since then additional heat has continued to be generated by the decay of radioactive elements such as uranium, thorium, and potassium. The heat flow from the interior to the surface is only 1/20,000 as great as the energy received from the Sun.
Seismic measurements show that the core is divided into two parts, a solid inner core with a radius of ~1220 km and a liquid outer core extending beyond it to a radius of ~3480 km. The solid inner core is generally believed to be composed primarily of iron and some nickel. Some have argued that the inner core may be in the form of a single iron crystal. The liquid outer core surrounds the inner core and is believed to be composed of iron mixed with nickel and trace amounts of lighter elements. It is generally believed that convection in the outer core, combined with stirring caused by the Earth's rotation (see: Coriolis effect), gives rise to the Earth's magnetic field through a process described by the dynamo theory. The solid inner core is too hot to hold a permanent magnetic field (see Curie temperature) but probably acts to stabilise the magnetic field generated by the liquid outer core.
Finally, vulcanism continuously emits water vapor from the interior. Earth's plate tectonics recycle carbon and water as limestone rocks are subducted into the mantle and volcanically released as gaseous carbon dioxide and steam. It is estimated that the minerals in the mantle may contain as much as 10 times the water as in all of the current oceans, though most of this trapped water will never be released.

i don't need to read more.
too hot for water in the core. it is liquid metal. all the water long since left for the mantle.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.