Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Join us every Monday, Wednesday and Friday as we explore the five fold ministry.

What is it?
What is the scriptural support?
What does each 'office' do?
How do the five work together as one?

Tonight we will begin with definitions and some basic ground work.

Last edited:

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let’s begin with some basic definitions of terms. You may find these over simplified but I try to break it down as clearly as possible.

Doctrine: A literal teaching found multiple places in Scripture. The teaching to be part of doctrine has to be contextually and literally shown. Metaphor and poetic writings are rarely used as a doctrinal stance for that reason.

Teaching: a literal instruction or example shown clearly in context in at least one place in Scripture. For a teaching to be valid it must have a clear message that is contextually understood. For that reason metaphor is not used in a teaching.

Concept: a concept is an assumption gleaned from scripture but cannot be clearly shown in context. This is where metaphors are interpreted and expressed. Concepts can add illustration and insight but do not rise to the level of a teaching.
this study of the fivefold ministry does not rise to the level of a doctrine but it is a good teaching.

In the coming days We will look at what scripture says and then consider some concepts that I’ve been around for generations. I’ll do my best if I’m expressing a concept or a personal opinion to let you know that that is a concept or personal opinion.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A couple other points as we begin.

There are three styles (for lack of better terms), of writing styles in scripture, literal, metaphoric and poetic. I find it interesting that most of prophesy begins as metaphor and is confirmed by literal. For this study, context is very important. In reading literal verses you have to consider the scripture in the context it was written in. In other words the verses before it and after. Taking a small snippet of an instruction or conversation cannot provide a clear picture of the meaning in the snippet.

Also Remember the scripture was not written in verses and chapters, but as letters. There are times that an illustration begins in one chapter and continues to the next.

I will occasionally go into the original languages and when I do, I will provide links showing the back ground. If you are not familiar with the Blue Letter Bible online, it has a wealth of tools that can be of help in your studies.

I will also provide definitions of terms as we come across them.

First: I use NKJV for my references and will occasionally use others versions, when I do so, I will note the translation being used.

Second: When citing the word in it's original language I usually use the transliterated word to help explanation. Transliteration is using letters to correspond with character of another alphabet.

Example: Apostle - Transliterated apostolos from the Greek ἀπόστολος, a delegate, messenger, one sent forth with orders.

The actual Greek is ἀπόστολος, which is not help unless you speak Greek, so we transliterate it from Greek alphabet to English and it becomes apostolos.

So what is the basis for the teaching on the five fold ministry?

It comes from

Eph 4:11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ,
Here we see the five (offices)* and their purposes.

1. Apostle
2. Prophet
3. Evangelist
4. Pastor
5. Teacher

What is their purpose?

For the equipping of the saints for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ.

Friday is Christmas Eve and I will not be able to post, but the following Monday I will begin with Apostle. I am breaking the lessons down into small postings for time purposes, both yours and mine.

Blessings

*(offices) - a common term used for reference to the five fold ministry. Typically used in describing those individuals whose vocation is church ministry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The first mention of Apostles:

Matthew 10:10 And when He had called His twelve disciples to Him, He gave them power over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease.

Notice here Jesus called 12 Disciples - and when He gave them power - they were referred to as apostles.

Disciple: μαθητής mathētḗs, math-ay-tes'; from G3129; a learner, i.e. pupil:—disciple

When the 12 were with Jesus, they were referred to as disciples and when Jesus sent them out - they were called Apostles. The title changed with what they were doing.

Examples"

Luke 6:13 And when it was day, He called His disciples to Himself; and from them He chose twelve whom He also named apostles:​

Luke 9:1 Then He called His twelve disciples together and gave them power and authority over all demons, and to cure diseases. 2 He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. 3 And He said to them, “Take nothing for the journey, neither staffs nor bag nor bread nor money; and do not have two tunics apiece.

4 “Whatever house you enter, stay there, and from there depart. 5 And whoever will not receive you, when you go out of that city, shake off the very dust from your feet as a testimony against them.”

6 So they departed and went through the towns, preaching the gospel and healing everywhere.
Now notice a few verses down when the 12 returned

Luke 9:10 And the apostles, when they had returned, told Him all that they had done.
Here's what I suggest:

Use your favorite Bible Study software (biblegateway.com) is really easy to use. Go through an search the title disciples. Read the verses before and after and see if there is an instance like the Luke 9 example where the 12 were called disciples and then Apostles. What were they doing that brought with it, the title Apostle?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rev 21:14 Now the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

The twelve hold a unique position. They walked with Jesus, were called and commissioned by Him and their actions and writings are the foundation.

Apostles were those associated personally with Jesus; the name literally means "sent ones," who were the first to share the message of Christ. Prophets included those Old Testament figures and early church leaders who proclaimed God's truth. Though people may serve in similar roles today, these roles of apostles and prophets as foundations of the church were unique to the New Testament time period. The way to understand when scripture is speaking of an office or a foundational element is to read the verses in context.

I can explain further in the peanut gallery if there is interest.

We looked at Luke 9 where the 12 were called and empowered "Then He called His twelve disciples together and gave them power and authority over all demons, and to cure diseases" and at that point they became Apostles, being sent out.

Luke 10:1 After these things the Lord appointed seventy others also, and sent them two by two before His face into every city and place where He Himself was about to go. 2 Then He said to them, “The harvest truly is great, but the laborers are few; therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest. 3 Go your way; behold, I send you out as lambs among wolves. 4 Carry neither money bag, knapsack, nor sandals; and greet no one along the road. 5 But whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’ 6 And if a son of peace is there, your peace will rest on it; if not, it will return to you. 7 And remain in the same house, eating and drinking such things as they give, for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Do not go from house to house. 8 Whatever city you enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you. 9 And heal the sick there, and say to them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you.’

vs 17 17 Then the seventy returned with joy, saying, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name.”
We see the 12 were called, given power and authority over sickness and demons, then sent.

We see the 70 others were called, given power and authority over sickness and demons, then sent.

Both are groups of Apostles being called, given authority and sent on Jesus direction.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So far we have seen scripture that shows:

The 12 Apostles of the Lamb who are the foundation and hold a unique position in scripture.

The 12 given power and authority and then sent before Jesus who healed the sick and cast out demons
The 70 others who were given power and authority and then sent before Jesus who healed the sick and cast out demons.

Paul one who was sent to the Gentiles
Acts 9:15 But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel.
We see Paul called by God given power and authority to cast out demons and heal the sick.

Side note:

In acts 6:5 And they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and the Holy Spirit, and Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicolas, a proselyte from Antioch, 6 whom they set before the apostles; and when they had prayed, they laid hands on them.

7 Then the word of God spread, and the number of the disciples multiplied greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests were obedient to the faith.

8 And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and signs among the people.
Stephan was not an Apostle, yet is noted for doing great signs and wonders among the people.

Acts 14:14 But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard this, they tore their clothes and ran in among the multitude, crying out.
Barnabas was an Apostle also.

Romans 16: 7 Greet Andronicus and Junia, my countrymen and my fellow prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.​

Andronicus and Junia were also regarded as Apostles.

We see here there are 86 called Apostles in scriptures:

Next we look at the 'Office' of Apostle and how they functioned in the early church.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Point of interest:

Many people read Revelation and see the corrections of the churches, but there are also commendations.

Rev 2:1 ‘These things says He who holds the seven stars in His right hand, who walks in the midst of the seven golden lampstands: 2 “I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars; 3 and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name’s sake and have not become weary.
Notice he is speaking to the church at Ephesus, Jesus is commending them for testing those who say they are Apostles.

How did they test the Apostles? Good question:

Acts 17:10 Then the brethren immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea. When they arrived, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. 11 These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so.
They tested the Apostles and based their findings on the authority of scripture to see if it was so.

My Opinion: We should use the same test today.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1 Cor 12:28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues.
Regarding Apostles - notice that God appointed them in the church, not over the church. Why would the apostle be in the church first? Remember the definition of an apostle? A sent one - The Apostle is sent to a people. As we explore we will find that the ministry of the Prophet and teacher is designed for the Believers, not the lost.

It is natural that the one sent to a group would be first. This is where the teaching that the Apostle is a church founder.

Follow Paul's writings and you will see that he was with churches that he founded for periods of time. He then served as a spiritual father to those churches in matters of doctrine. Beyond an occasional offering those churches did not financially support him on a consistent basis. Nor was Paul over the day to day operations of the church. That was left to the Pastor.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My opinion:

Apostles are spiritual fathers. They are the ones who the local church is founded by, his baby - like a good father he trains up the leadership and then releases them to take over. He is not present day to day, but is always praying, always communicating and offering the Wisdom of God for issues they raise.

Just like a natural child to a parent and parent to adult child.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry for the delay - been very busy and am getting ready to head to Germany in two weeks.

Suffice it to say, in regards to prophets I am in 100% agreement with the Prophetic Standards statement above. I believe it is relevant and very balanced.

I'll do my best to get on with Evangelist next. But it might take two weeks or so.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.