The first Pope was a married Priest

Should the Church allow married priests?

• Yes

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The church says that these days by way of explanation, but when the policy was instituted in the RCC it was also about inheritance and property rights complicating the priest's situation. In any case, there is no doctrinal issue involved and the RCC could change this policy tomorrow if it wished to do so.

This was another controversial issue that led to the schism of 1054.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,291.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think the idea behind the RCC insisting on priest celibacy was to completely devote their life to Christ as Paul did. Paul did say that it is better to remain unmarried unless it causes a person to sin. In that case it is better to marry. So while I do understand why they implemented priest celibacy I honestly think it should be up to the individual to choose not the church itself.
That Scripture was certainly used to support the policy; but that was about the only bit that really does.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,291.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
After all that has went on over the many years.
Priest being married to one woman should now be a requirement.
Been some strange things happening over there.
Might help in time to straighten out this Hot Mess?
Possibly a step in the right direction?

MB

No. It should be the choice of the person who is in the office of the Holy Ministry. Legislating marriage could prove to be as much of an issue as mandating celibacy. As Confessional Lutherans, we have always had some clergy who chose to remain celibate for what ever reason. That is between them and God.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That Scripture was certainly used to support the policy; but that was about the only bit that really does.

From what I see in Paul’s words concerning this issue is that each man must decide whether or not he is capable of refraining from the sin of lust and even that could change over time if an individual begins to notice that he is stumbling presently where he had not previously.

Upvote 0