Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Sarai becomes Sarah, mother of nations
Genesis 17:
Then God said to Abraham, As for Sarai your wife, you shall not call her name Sarai,
but Sarah shall be her name.
16 And I will bless her and also give you a son by her; then I will bless her, and she shall
be a mother of nations; kings of peoples shall be from her.
Abraham laughed first
17 Then Abraham fell on his face and laughed, and said in his heart,
Shall be born to a man who is one hundred years old?
And shall Sarah, who is ninety years old, bear?

The covenant established in the set time.
21 My covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah shall bear to you at this set time[moed] next year.

Isaiah 51:
Listen to Me, you who follow after righteousness, you who seek the Lord:
Look to the rock from which you were hewn, and to the hole of the pit from
which you were dug.
2 Look to Abraham your father,and to Sarah who bore you; for I called him
alone, and blessed him and increased him.

Sarah’s turn to laugh
Genesis 18:
And He said, I will certainly return to you according to the time of life,
and behold, Sarah your wife shall have a son.
(Sarah was listening in the tent door which was behind him.)
11 Now Abraham and Sarah were old, well advanced in age; and Sarah had
passed the age of childbearing.
12 Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I have grown old,
shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?
13 And the Lord said to Abraham, Why did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I surely bear,
since I am old?
14 Is anything too hard for the Lord? At the appointed time[moed] I will return to you, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.
15 But Sarah denied, saying, I did not laugh, for she was afraid. And He said No,
but you did laugh!
"Thou shalt arise, and have mercy upon Zion: for the time to favor her,
yea, the set time, is come." Psalm 102:13

Genesis 21:
And the Lord visited Sarah as He had said, and the Lord did for Sarah
as He had spoken.
2 For Sarah conceived and bore Abraham a son in his old age, at the set time
[moed] of which God had spoken to him.
3 And Abraham called the name of his son who was born to him—
whom Sarah bore to him—Isaac.

Hebrews 11:
By faith Sarah herself also received strength to conceive seed, and she bore a child
when she was past the age, because she judged Him faithful who had promised.
12 Therefore from one man, and him as good as dead, were born as many as the stars
of the sky in multitude—innumerable as the sand which is by the seashore.

Moed first use:God established a calendar for man in creation.
Genesis 1:14 Then God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to
divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs and seasons[moed],
and for days and years.

So we see that God implemented a means to keep times and seasons for His moedim,
and then follows the course of the seasons to violate the natural seasons in order to supernaturally provide an heir to His covenant with Abraham.

Even before these events, the Lord showed Himself to be a God of the appointed time
in the garden.

Genesis 3:8 And they heard the voice of the Lord God walking in the garden
in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence
of the Lord God among the trees of the garden.

And why would the Lord be walking in the garden in the cool of the day?
Was it not to spend time with them?

The covenant is perpetuated when Isaac receives his bride by the Lord’s provision

Genesis 24:
And Isaac went out to meditate in the field at the eventide: and he lifted up his eyes,
and saw, and, behold, the camels were coming.
64 And Rebekah lifted up her eyes, and when she saw Isaac, she lighted off the camel.
65 For she had said unto the servant, What man is this that walks in the field to meet us?
And the servant had said, It is my master: therefore she took a veil, and covered herself.

So a man or woman will leave their life, and join to the Lord,
and they become one spirit. 1 Corinthians 6:17
And if we commit to set aside time to spend alone with the Lord, is He not faithful
to meet us there? Let anyone who so desires, commit themselves to the Lord of
the appointed time.

Song of Solomon 1:
Tell me, O thou whom my soul loves, where you feed, where thou make thy flock to rest
at noon: for why should I be as one that turns aside by the flocks of thy companions?
8 If thou know not, O thou fairest among women, go thy way forth by the footsteps of the flock, and feed thy kids beside the shepherds' tents.

Search for Him, and you will find Him, when you search with all your heart.
Jeremiah 29:13

• Useful
Reactions: HARK!

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
You might want to edit your title. Moedim is plural. Moed is singular.

It would seem that Cain and Abel were honoring one of YHWH's Moed. I suspect that it was Sukkot.
Thanks Hark. The distinguishing feature I see for Abraham, Sarah and Isaac is the prophetic
significance from the beginning toward all nations.
The Moedim of Torah as they pertained to the covenant of promised land for Israel
is that one will be required of all nations.
Zechariah 14:16 And it shall come to pass that everyone who is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall go up from year to year to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, and to keep the Feast of Tabernacles.
I am not so sure that I can see the connection to Sukkot for Cain and Abel.
At least not in the specifics, i.e. building and dwelling in booths to recall the time in the wilderness.
I assume you are seeing a connection in the offerings?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I am not so sure that I can see the connection to Sukkot for Cain and Abel.
At least not in the specifics, i.e. building and dwelling in booths to recall the time in the wilderness.
I assume you are seeing a connection in the offerings?

I do; but it might also have been Bikkurim or Shavuot. Cain brought fruit of the ground. This is a requirement of Sukkot; however one might interpret this to fit Bikkurim (barley)or Shavuot (wheat). I believe that Sukkot is the best fit.

I read fruit of the ground as produce.

I also believe that Cain's offering wasn't accepted; as I believe that Cain held back. YHWH expects our best.

• Useful
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Cain and Able at the same time made their offerings. It doesn't sound like a daily thing, and because of the unacceptableness of Cain's, could it be Passover?

As Cain brought the fruit of the ground; why Passover?

Do you mean that you suspect that he was eating the barley early?

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
As Cain brought the fruit of the ground; why Passover?

Do you mean that you suspect that he was eating the barley early?
The lamb was the acceptable offer. It sounds like they knew what was required of them, but Cain thought the fruit of his hands would be acceptable. We all know that grain is a poor man's offering during regular service.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The lamb was the acceptable offer. It sounds like they knew what was required of them, but Cain thought the fruit of his hands would be acceptable. We all know that grain is a poor man's offering during regular service.

A barley offering is required for Bikkurim.

However the fruit of the ground is required for Sukkot.

Did you see post #4?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
A barley offering is required for Bikkurim.

However the fruit of the ground is required for Sukkot.

Did you see post #4?
While I see your point, I get the impression that grain was not what God was looking for. If it was an unacceptable amount of grain, or poor quality, I believe God would have clarified it. As it stands, it seems to be the fact that grain was not accepted, not because it was the labor of his hands, or an unacceptable amouint or quality, but because God was looking for the Lamb sacrifice “in the course of time” (Genesis 4:3).

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
While I see your point, I get the impression that grain was not what God was looking for. If it was an unacceptable amount of grain, or poor quality, I believe God would have clarified it. As it stands, it seems to be the fact that grain was not accepted, not because it was the labor of his hands, or an unacceptable amouint or quality, but because God was looking for the Lamb sacrifice “in the course of time” (Genesis 4:3).

How do you know that it was a grain offering, and not a produce offering?

Upvote 0

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
23 So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.

Cain's offering was rejected because he hated his brother in his heart. Probably not because he offered the wrong thing.

And I think Shabbat is the first Moed, based on Gen 2 and Lev 23.

• Agree
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
23 So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.

Cain's offering was rejected because he hated his brother in his heart. Probably not because he offered the wrong thing.

And I think Shabbat is the first Moed, based on Gen 2 and Lev 23.

If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at your door. And its desire is for you, but you should rule over it (Genesis 4:7).

This is one of the most difficult verses in Scripture. Its exact translation and meaning has been the subject of much debate. John wrote: "not as Cain who was of the wicked one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his works were evil and his brother's righteous (1 John 3:12).

So I can see where the rekection of offer comes from the hatred in heart. You can not love God and have hate in your heart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
We read in Genesis about how Abel and Cain brought their harvests to the Lord: Abel brought “the firstlings of his flock,” while Cain brought an offering “from the fruit of the ground” (Gen 4:3-4).

I have pondered the thought that this was a special occasion, aka one the of feasts of the Lord, that would have both brothers coming before the Lord with their harvest. What feast could it be? What feast are the produce of our labors brought to the Lord?

Upvote 0