Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
God created the first fully "alive" and replicatable unicellular organism out of the chemicals (dust) of the earth combined with His moist (water) breath.

Now please address the fossil and genetic evidence that evolution has occured over the last 3.5 billion of years or so including horse, whale, bird, mammal and hominid tranistional fossil series, etc. etc.

Or did I misunderstand the point of the OP which has about as much relevance to the Theory of Evoution as asking how many angels could dance on the head of a pin?

Upvote 0

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Micaiah said:
Whatever you think is appropriate. Ensure you define the units.
What do you think is appropriate? I'm assuming that you are asking the question for a reason. What units are appropriate for that reason?

What units will be meaningful for you to be able to understand how much DNA is in a cell?

If you were going to express the amount of DNA in a cell, what units would you use?

Upvote 0

Micaiah

Dec 29, 2002
Western Australia
Visit site
✟2,837.00
Faith
Christian
The units you use will depend I guess on how you define the nature of the DNA of the first living cell. The purpose of the thread was for this to be discussed and quantified.

I do not believe in evolution and hence do not have a belief on the nature of the first life form. I am asking evolutionsists for their views on the matter.

Upvote 0

Mystman

Atheist with a Reason
Jun 24, 2005
✟22,286.00
Faith
Atheist
notto said:
What do you think is appropriate? I'm assuming that you are asking the question for a reason. What units are appropriate for that reason?

What units will be meaningful for you to be able to understand how much DNA is in a cell?

If you were going to express the amount of DNA in a cell, what units would you use?

I would use the number of base pairs.

But then again, I am not him.

And I also just learned in Genetics class that a single organism can make a whole variety of enzymes from a single strain of DNA.... by using different combinations of introns/exons, or even by moving the mRNA back a single base pair in the Ribosomes, so that you don't read acu-cug-aag, but a-cuc-uga-ag. Fascinating stuff. And that means that the number of base pairs isn't a good measure for the amount of information. (although I doubt that the first organisms had complicated stuff like that in them..)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Micaiah said:
How much DNA did the first living cell contain?

The same number of DNA that you find in a living cell today. This is sort of a chicken or egg question. God created the chicken first, then He gave it the ability to be able to reproduce itself.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Micaiah said:
So there was no DNA?

there are a number of competing hypothesis for abiogenesis.

the necessary elements are pretty simple:
concentration mechanism
boundary
self-replicator-simple enough to spontaneous form, and self-catalytic

dna appears to be too complex to evolve without substantial supporting elements. hence the rna bootstrap scenario.

but you know all that because you googled and studied the issue before you tried to rebuttal it.

Upvote 0

BigRed11

Awesome science-freak
Apr 16, 2006
✟15,170.00
Faith
Atheist
None, zero, nada. Although, you should define what you mean by the first living cells. The main hypothesis, which I believe, is that the first cells were simple sphere-like structures that incorporated the abiotic material in their surroundings into themeselves and were able to split. But if you think of living cells traditionally, the first genetic information was stored in RNA. It would be foolish to think that a complex two-stranded system evolved before a single strand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dr.GH

Doc WinAce fan
Apr 4, 2005
Dana Point, CA
Visit site
✟2,062.00
Faith
Taoist
Biochemists have used comparitive genomics to sort out the order that amino acids were added into the genetic code. These data were recently summarized by Edward N. Trifonov,
2004 "The Triplet Code From First Principles" Journal of Biomolecular Structure & Dynamics, ISSN 0739-1102 Volume 22, Issue Number 1, (2004).

There is a url posted in a thread within the last few weeks for a PDF of the paper- but I have not kept it- sorry.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Dr.GH said:
Biochemists have used comparitive genomics to sort out the order that amino acids were added into the genetic code. These data were recently summarized by Edward N. Trifonov,
2004 "The Triplet Code From First Principles" Journal of Biomolecular Structure & Dynamics, ISSN 0739-1102 Volume 22, Issue Number 1, (2004).

There is a url posted in a thread within the last few weeks for a PDF of the paper- but I have not kept it- sorry.

http://www.jbsdonline.com/index.cfm?CFID=46399&CFTOKEN=96186889&do=download&p=12377

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Jet Black said:
loaded question. have you stopped beating your wife?

that is the problem of the double question.
you ask a question that assumes an answer to the first one.
the proper way to handle the question is to draw the questioners attention to his logical error and to point out your answer to the first question.

how much dna did the first cell contain?
the 1st question is "did the first cell contain dna?"

thanks for pointing this out, i missed it, answered properly that dna is to complex to be used, but you are right it is a double question.

have you stopped beating your wife?
the first question is do you beat your wife?
the answer is no.

it is a real common problem and tactic:
for example, the cop stops you for spending and asks "do you mind opening your truck?"

Upvote 0