Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
St Paul the Hermit
  • Celebrated on January 15th
paul-the-hermit-3.jpg

Saint Paul the Hermit is regarded as the first Christian hermit. He was born in 228 AD. The Life of Saint Paul the First Hermit, was composed in Latin by Saint Jerome, around 376. According to Jerome, Paul fled to the Theban desert as a boy during the persecution of Decius and Valerianus around AD 250.

At that time Paul and his married sister, both of whom lived in the Thebaid, lost their parents. In order to obtain Paul's inheritance, his brother-in-law sought to betray him to the persecutors. He lived in the desert mountains in a cave near a clear spring and a palm tree, the leaves of which provided him with clothing and the fruit of which provided him with his only source of food until he was 43 years old, when a raven started bringing him half a loaf of bread daily. He remained in that cave for the rest of his life, - almost a hundred years.

We know about Paul because around the year 342, a St Anthony was told in a dream about the older hermit's existence, and went to find him.

Familiar stories from Jerome's Life include: the meeting of St Paul and St Anthony, the raven who brought them bread, St Anthony being sent to fetch the cloak given him by Athanasius the bishop, St Paul's death before he returned, and the grave dug by lions.

Jerome writes that when Anthony and Paul met, they talked with each other for one day and one night. Each saint inviting the other to bless and break the bread. St Paul held one side, putting the other side into the hands of Father Anthony, and soon the bread broke through the middle and each took his part. When Anthony next visited him, Paul was dead. Anthony clothed him in a tunic which was a present from Athanasius of Alexandria and buried him. Two lions helped to dig the grave. Father Anthony returned to his monastery taking with him the robe woven with palm leaf. He honoured the robe so much that he only wore it twice a year: at the Feast of Easter, and at the Pentecost.

St. Paul's Monastery (Deir Mar Boulos) is traditionally believed to be on the site of the cave where the saint lived and where his remains are kept. The monastery is located in the eastern desert mountains of Egypt near the Red Sea. The Cave Church of St. Paul marks the spot where St Anthony, the Father of Monasticism, and St Paul, the First Hermit, are believed to have met.

He is the patron saint of the Diocese of San Pablo in the Philippines. The Order of Saint Paul the First Hermit was founded in Hungary in his honour in the 13th century. He is usually represented with a palm tree, two lions and a raven .

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jerome writes that when Anthony and Paul met, they talked with each other for one day and one night. Each saint inviting the other to bless and break the bread. St Paul held one side, putting the other side into the hands of Father Anthony, and soon the bread broke through the middle and each took his part. When Anthony next visited him, Paul was dead. Anthony clothed him in a tunic which was a present from Athanasius of Alexandria and buried him. Two lions helped to dig the grave. Father Anthony returned to his monastery taking with him the robe woven with palm leaf. He honoured the robe so much that he only wore it twice a year: at the Feast of Easter, and at the Pentecost.
paul-hermit-cabanel.jpg

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When I was at the Benedictine monastery over New Year's I noticed several statues of a Saint with a raven and some bread. I was curious as to who that was.

Now I know.

What's the connection to St. Paul the Hermit and St. Benedict I wonder?

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This link should help to clarify the saint with the raven puzzle......Saint Benedict and his friend the raven | Communio

That makes sense. The statues I saw looked more like the raven was taking away the bread than bringing bread. Also, there seemed to be something wrong going on.

It's interesting how ravens show up in our hagiography. IRL, they pretty much leave me alone. A definitive sign of my lack of holiness.

Upvote 0