Newb Member
Sep 22, 2016
usa
✟20,950.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Jesus mentions the gospel going to all the world in the last days and many are familiar with the message of ‘Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved’ but few are familiar with the gospel message of ‘Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ because you have already been saved’. This is not a play on words and I am not advocating for a universal gospel but our understanding of this is crucial to our spiritual well-being. The gospel is in fact the finished and complete work of Christ on our behalf. The reason this is so important is because when we realize that the work of Salvation is already finished I can bring nothing to the table. I am completely dependent on the life, death and resurrection of Christ on my behalf. My faith is simply an acknowledgement that I am a sinner and incapable of saving myself so of course I need a savior. Many Christians see 'getting saved' as the point in their life when they accept or believe in Jesus and receive the Holy Spirit and this is absolutely true. But the truth of the matter is that we were actually saved 2000 years ago by Jesus Christ on the cross and the point in my life where I hear this good news and believe the good news is simply an awareness of this historical fact. We were all saved before we were born or believed or repented or did anything good or bad.

The belief that Jesus is the savior of the world or the 2nd Adam is rejected by many Christians today. Many have accepted evolutionary ideas and rejected creation so the belief that one man named Adam fathered the whole world is even harder to accept. But it is just this idea that Paul used when he said for as in Adam all die even so in Christ shall all be made alive 1Cor. 15:22. Christ as the 2nd Adam has accomplished something for all of humanity including every single person who has ever lived. He did this independently of us and the good news of the gospel is that this free gift has been given to humanity like an inheritance. Now even though the gift has been given to all that does not mean that all will experience Salvation. The gift of Salvation like any gift can be accepted or refused. We accept the gift by faith and reject it by unbelief. The true reason why people will be lost is not because they were bad or did bad things because all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God but because they despise the gift and throw it away like Esau who was despised by God. Esau was born with the birthright or inheritance so there was no reason why it shouldn’t be his. The bible records that Esau came from the field and was faint and Jacob offered to give him food in exchange for his birthright. Esau could have easily gotten food elsewhere but he despised his birthright and sold it for a bowl of soup. Esau represents the lost who have been given the gift of Salvation purchased by the shed blood of Christ but they barter it away for the pleasures of the world. The greatest agony of hell will be the realization that Salvation was in fact given to the lost but they esteemed it of so little value that it was thrown away for a life of sin and death.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus mentions the gospel going to all the world in the last days and many are familiar with the message of ‘Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved’ but few are familiar with the gospel message of ‘Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ because you have already been saved’.

That's because the first quote is from the actual Bible - the second is not.

If you can find even one "believe... because you have already been saved" as a quote of the Bible - and not a quote of "you" we would all be interested.

This is not a play on words and I am not advocating for a universal gospel but our understanding of this is crucial to our spiritual well-being. The gospel is in fact the finished and complete work of Christ on our behalf.

According to Hebrews 8:1-6 and Hebrews 9 what is the work of Christ that is currently going on - right now?

Because once we admit to all the work Christ does in the gospel then it is certain that the Gospel is indeed - about all of it.

The reason this is so important is because when we realize that the work of Salvation is already finished I can bring nothing to the table. I am completely dependent on the life, death and resurrection of Christ on my behalf. My faith is simply an acknowledgement that I am a sinner and incapable of saving myself so of course I need a savior.

It is already a "given" that the lost do not "save themselves" - for Christians.

But if your intent is to argue for calvinism - well then there are a few things in Calvinism that don't line up with the Bible.

For example Calvinism does not have much room for Romans 10

Specifically -
8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation (NASB)

But if your point is just that the atoning sacrifice of Christ completed at the cross is sufficient to cover all sin - in all of time.

Agreed.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But the truth of the matter is that we were actually saved 2000 years ago by Jesus Christ on the cross and the point in my life where I hear this good news and believe the good news is simply an awareness of this historical fact. We were all saved before we were born or believed or repented or did anything good or bad.
This is completely incorrect. The finished work of Christ MADE PROVISION for our salvation. But we are saved only when we obey the Gospel. BTW if you are going to discuss the finished work of Christ, don't go off on other tangents. Go into the details of that redemptive work systematically and scripturally.

Upvote 0

bloodygrace

Newb Member
Sep 22, 2016
usa
✟20,950.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
But if your point is just that the atoning sacrifice of Christ completed at the cross is sufficient to cover all sin - in all of time.

Agreed.

Christ's atonement with his perfect life, sacrificial death and victorious resurrection was sufficient to justify, sanctify and glorify the whole world. What work is left for him to accomplish?

Upvote 0

bloodygrace

Newb Member
Sep 22, 2016
usa
✟20,950.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
This is completely incorrect. The finished work of Christ MADE PROVISION for our salvation. But we are saved only when we obey the Gospel. BTW if you are going to discuss the finished work of Christ, don't go off on other tangents. Go into the details of that redemptive work systematically and scripturally.

This is the heretical Arminian atonement where Christ only provides a way or opportunity to be saved. Leaving sinners to bridge the gap between death and life everlasting which is an impossibility.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is the heretical Arminian atonement where Christ only provides a way or opportunity to be saved. Leaving sinners to bridge the gap between death and life everlasting which is an impossibility.
This ridiculous comment indicates that you neither understand the finished work of Christ nor the power of the Gospel and the Holy Spirit. Back to square one please.

• Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Jesus mentions the gospel going to all the world in the last days and many are familiar with the message of ‘Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved’ but few are familiar with the gospel message of ‘Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ because you have already been saved’. This is not a play on words and I am not advocating for a universal gospel but our understanding of this is crucial to our spiritual well-being. The gospel is in fact the finished and complete work of Christ on our behalf. The reason this is so important is because when we realize that the work of Salvation is already finished I can bring nothing to the table. I am completely dependent on the life, death and resurrection of Christ on my behalf. My faith is simply an acknowledgement that I am a sinner and incapable of saving myself so of course I need a savior. Many Christians see 'getting saved' as the point in their life when they accept or believe in Jesus and receive the Holy Spirit and this is absolutely true. But the truth of the matter is that we were actually saved 2000 years ago by Jesus Christ on the cross and the point in my life where I hear this good news and believe the good news is simply an awareness of this historical fact. We were all saved before we were born or believed or repented or did anything good or bad.

In Ephesians 2:5, it says that we have been saved in the past tense, in Philippians 2:12, it says to work out our salvation in the present tense, and in Romans 5:9-10, it says we will be saved in the future tense, so there are past, present, and future aspects to our salvation. According to Titus 2:11-14, our salvation involves being redeemed from all lawlessness, but it also involves God's grace training us to do what God has revealed to be godly, righteous, and good, and training us to renounce doing what God has revealed to be ungodly, sinful, and lawless, so again this is talking about past and present aspects of our salvation. Christ gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness, which is a completed work, however, it is a work that allows us to be free to obey God in the present and that will save us from God's wrath in the future. According to Ephesians 2:8-10, we have been saved by grace through faith, not by doing good works, but for the purpose of doing good works, so doing good works by grace through faith are not adding to our salvation, but rather they are the result of our salvation. Repentance from our lawlessness and turning back to obedience is a central part of the gospel message, so it is far more than awareness of a historical fact. Even the demons are aware of this historical fact for all the good it does them.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Christ's atonement with his perfect life, sacrificial death and victorious resurrection was sufficient to justify, sanctify and glorify the whole world. What work is left for him to accomplish?

hint -- the world is not glorified -- look around you.

another big hint in the text you ignored - Romans 10.

Read it.

or if you prefer - I can keep reading it to you ---

8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation (NASB)

• Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is the heretical Arminian atonement where Christ only provides a way or opportunity to be saved.
Aha. Now we have it. You are a Calvinist. That explains a lot.

Calvinism violates scripture in so many ways it would totally hijack this thread to even start to list them.

Upvote 0

bloodygrace

Newb Member
Sep 22, 2016
usa
✟20,950.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
This ridiculous comment indicates that you neither understand the finished work of Christ nor the power of the Gospel and the Holy Spirit. Back to square one please.

No, it shows I am well versed in the myriads of absurdity in the land of Christendom. Christ's work of redemption is perfect, finished and complete. We either believe it or we don't.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bloodygrace

Newb Member
Sep 22, 2016
usa
✟20,950.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
In Ephesians 2:5, it says that we have been saved in the past tense, in Philippians 2:12, it says to work out our salvation in the present tense, and in Romans 5:9-10, it says we will be saved in the future tense, so there are past, present, and future aspects to our salvation. According to Titus 2:11-14, our salvation involves being redeemed from all lawlessness, but it also involves God's grace training us to do what God has revealed to be godly, righteous, and good, and training us to renounce doing what God has revealed to be ungodly, sinful, and lawless, so again this is talking about past and present aspects of our salvation. Christ gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness, which is a completed work, however, it is a work that allows us to be free to obey God in the present and that will save us from God's wrath in the future. According to Ephesians 2:8-10, we have been saved by grace through faith, not by doing good works, but for the purpose of doing good works, so doing good works by grace through faith are not adding to our salvation, but rather they are the result of our salvation. Repentance from our lawlessness and turning back to obedience is a central part of the gospel message, so it is far more than awareness of a historical fact. Even the demons are aware of this historical fact for all the good it does them.

If Christ's work is not finished then it is up to us to finish the work ourselves. Sinners can't save themselves and they can't save other sinners. The gospel is welfare and we are dependants. All our food stamps are signed with the blood of Christ. How does it feel to be on spiritual welfare?

Upvote 0

bloodygrace

Newb Member
Sep 22, 2016
usa
✟20,950.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
hint -- the world is not glorified -- look around you.

another big hint in the text you ignored - Romans 10.

Read it.

or if you prefer - I can keep reading it to you ---

The world is glorified in Christ, Bob! Jesus as the 2nd Adam sits on the right hand of God in a glorified body.

Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: Rom. 6:4,5

Upvote 0

bloodygrace

Newb Member
Sep 22, 2016
usa
✟20,950.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Aha. Now we have it. You are a Calvinist. That explains a lot.

Calvinism violates scripture in so many ways it would totally hijack this thread to even start to list them.

My soteriology is closer to Lutheran than Arminian or Calvinist. Even though Luther never really accepted the finished work of Christ per se.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
If Christ's work is not finished then it is up to us to finish the work ourselves. Sinners can't save themselves and they can't save other sinners. The gospel is welfare and we are dependants. All our food stamps are signed with the blood of Christ. How does it feel to be on spiritual welfare?

Christ finished work was to redeem us from lawlessness, so now that you have been set free from disobedience to God, are you going to choose to return to living in disobedience to God's law or are you going to become an obedient slave of God (Romans 6:16-19)? Again, obedience has never been about saving ourselves, but about what we are to do because we have been and are being saved from disobedience.

Upvote 0

bloodygrace

Newb Member
Sep 22, 2016
usa
✟20,950.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Christ finished work was to redeem us from lawlessness, so now that you have been set free from disobedience to God, are you going to choose to return to living in disobedience to God's law or are you going to become an obedient slave of God (Romans 6:16-19)? Again, obedience has never been about saving ourselves, but about what we are to do because we have been and are being saved from disobedience.

The early Christians who were filled with the Holy Spirit and God's love lived in harmony with each other and didn't even consider their own possessions as being theirs. They happily sold all to be with the body of Christ. That sounds like real obedience to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i agree the opportunity was given to all 2000 years ago on Calvary..but there is one one crucial part missing...we have to accept it...yes He made a way for everyone to have eternal life, unfortunately , not everyone will accept it...makes me think of a money order.or check . I know silly example.. it is prepared and purchased..but is not valid until it is signed...

• Informative
Reactions: bloodygrace
Upvote 0

bloodygrace

Newb Member
Sep 22, 2016
usa
✟20,950.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
i agree the opportunity was given to all 2000 years ago on Calvary..but there is one one crucial part missing...we have to accept it...yes He made a way for everyone to have eternal life, unfortunately , not everyone will accept it...makes me think of a money order.or check . I know silly example.. it is prepared and purchased..but is not valid until it is signed...

Yes we accept the gift of grace by faith and reject it by unbelief. A gift refused and unopened is a gift lost.

• Agree
Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus mentions the gospel going to all the world in the last days and many are familiar with the message of ‘Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved’ but few are familiar with the gospel message of ‘Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ because you have already been saved’. This is not a play on words and I am not advocating for a universal gospel but our understanding of this is crucial to our spiritual well-being. The gospel is in fact the finished and complete work of Christ on our behalf.

You have "quoted you" very well.

The Gospel and the Atonement are one and the same. Lev 16 tells us that the Atonement includes both the work of Christ as the atoning sacrifice - the Lamb of God... and also the Work of Christ as High Priest - which Hebrews 8:1 tells us is still going on.

Bible details matter more the rhetoric.

There is no such thing as OSAS.

Calvinism failed.

We are not in heaven - and thus the work of Salvation is not already finished

There is a world of lost souls to be evangelized and cancer is reality not a myth.

thus in Hebrews 11 - the saints who died "did not receive what was promised". - In fact Peter says "fix your HOPE completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ" in 1 Peter 1.

Bible details matter.

Upvote 0

bloodygrace

Newb Member
Sep 22, 2016
usa
✟20,950.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You have "quoted you" very well.

The Gospel and the Atonement are one and the same. Lev 16 tells us that the Atonement includes both the work of Christ as the atoning sacrifice - the Lamb of God... and also the Work of Christ as High Priest - which Hebrews 8:1 tells us is still going on.

Bible details matter more the rhetoric.

There is no such thing as OSAS.

Calvinism failed.

We are not in heaven - and thus the work of Salvation is not already finished

There is a world of lost souls to be evangelized and cancer is reality not a myth.

thus in Hebrews 11 - the saints who died "did not receive what was promised". - In fact Peter says "fix your HOPE completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ" in 1 Peter 1.

Bible details matter.

If you study the day of atonement ceremony the sacrifice was still offered in the courtyard and then the blood was brought into the most holy indicating that Christ's sacrificial death is the basis for any cleansing of the most holy. Christ's work of atonement on the cross is still perfect, finished and complete. I guess Ellen never told you that because she was incompetent.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If you study the day of atonement ceremony the sacrifice was still offered in the courtyard and then the blood was brought into the most holy indicating that Christ's sacrificial death is the basis for any cleansing of the most holy.

All the sacrifices collapsed into one - Christ "our passover has been slain" 1 Cor 5. But he is also the sacrifice of the Day of Atonement and of all the sin offerings etc. All sacrifices collapse into that one. "Else he would have had to offer up himself many times" Hebrews 9.

Christ's work of atonement on the cross is still perfect, finished and complete - it is the "Atoning sacrifice" 1 John 2:2

AND THEN as Hebrews 8:1 points out - Christ begins his work as our high priest in heaven - after he ascends to heaven.

These Bible texts were NOT written by Ellen White -- Ellen never told you that because she had passed away by the time you were born - but she did not write those texts. More bible, christianity - less false accusation and slander please.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.