The feasts... prophetic?

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
The prevailing view among Christians today is that the annual feasts were strictly socio-ceremonial institutions given to Israel. Their function terminated at the Cross with all the sacrificial system of the Old Testament. I must admit that I subscribed to this view until I became involved in this research. It came as a surprise to me to discover that the feasts were designed by God, not only to meet the socio-religious needs of the Jews, but also to foreshadow the unfolding of salvation history until its consummation.

jsimms615

Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
the law with all it's ceremony is commented on here in Hebrews 10:1
"The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming—not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship."

Why pay attention to the shadow when you can see the real thing?

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟830,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The prevailing view among Christians today is that the annual feasts were strictly socio-ceremonial institutions given to Israel. Their function terminated at the Cross with all the sacrificial system of the Old Testament. I must admit that I subscribed to this view until I became involved in this research. It came as a surprise to me to discover that the feasts were designed by God, not only to meet the socio-religious needs of the Jews, but also to foreshadow the unfolding of salvation history until its consummation.

I agree. It never occurred to me until I spent time with a relative that is Messianic. I still can't say much about it. But the thought that the feasts are prophetic is new to me. I am curious to understand more.

Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
The most important aspects of Yeshua’s ministry in heaven is found in the fall feasts. Because of their prophetic nature, as seen in the spring time feasts fulfillment in Yeshua’s first coming, we will need to understand the fall feasts in the same light. We will start with the spring time feasts and then continue with the fall feasts.

Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
Yeshua brought it to the disciples attention, which all followers of Him should heed... “And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.”[1]

[1] Luke 24:44

Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
the law with all it's ceremony is commented on here in Hebrews 10:1
"The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming—not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship."

Why pay attention to the shadow when you can see the real thing?
I once thought like this, but I had a hard time realizing that the new testament writers and others were still observing this "shadow" decades after Jesus's resurrection. Paul references the feasts in his letters and in Acts. I have a feeling the intention of the writer of Hebrews was to let us know that there is no salvation to be had in trusting these like a checklist (as in Feast of Unleavened Bread - done, check.....Pentecost observed - check.....OK, I"m fine, I've done all that was required of me). I'd agree that won't work. These things do shadow the reality, but we still see dimly. THEN (not quite yet) we will see face to face. For now, we see Jesus. We see Him teaching the law and commanding us to also teach the law. We see Jesus in the appointed schedule of commemorations God gave in Leviticus 23. We see Jesus in His death,burial, and resurrection, and we are reminded of what Jesus taught us (which was God's commandments) when the Holy Spirit brings back to mind what Jesus taught us. We worship Him acceptably by believing and obeying Him.

Upvote 0

dailyprayerwarrior

Sep 2, 2019
Blaine
✟12,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The feasts are wonderfully prophetic. Although you do not need to follow them to be right with God (thanks to Jesus) they sure are interesting to learn about and even partake in. Many people forget that Jesus is Jewish and our Father, is a Jewish God. The Book of Revelation reveals some interesting insights about whats to come in Heaven. Thank God for the Jewish nation. God is not done with them yet because He does have things to finish with Israel based on His Name's sake and not their action/inaction. I am so excited to see this unfold whether I am here on earth or leaning over the mezzanine in Heaven.

Upvote 0