Hawaii
✟152,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Phobos Below are the Strongs definitions for fear. Following are scriptures that will help us understand which usage is implied in different instances.

1. Fear, dread, terror.

2, That which strikes terror.

3. Reverence for one’s husband.

Hebrews, 10:26 “For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. He that despised Moses’ law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?” It seems clear, that those which chose to reject Christ’s sacrifice and the Spirits call to faith in God align with number 1.

It is my firm belief that the one sin which will condemn a man to eternal separation from God is the failure to believe and accept God’s offered grace and forgiveness through the sacrifice of Christ. Other sin quenches the Spirit over time and hearts become hard, ears lose hearing and the eyes no longer follow truth. This presents a risk of losing faith. 1st John, 5:16 “If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.” There is no pardon for a man who will not accept it because of unbelief.

Following are verses of a relationship in which fear has no home. Therefore the intent is 3.

Pro, 9:10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

2 Tim 1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

1 John, 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.

Heb 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace.

Romans 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Mark, 4:40. … “Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?”

Scripture refers to the “Church” as the “Bride of Christ.”

2 Corinthians, 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

Revelations, 19:7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

Isaiah, 54:5 For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.

Fear may be the beginning, but fear finds no home in trusting love. And God, is Love. 1st John, 4:8 He that loves does not know God; for God is love.

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟152,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’d heard that this type of fear is equivalent to awe inspiring respect.
Yeah, reverence and awe... Still we are his sons, “Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.” John, 15:15

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I’d heard that this type of fear is equivalent to awe inspiring respect.

The English language has a habit of shifting meanings over the years. When St Paul's Cathedral was completed in 1710 the architect Christopher Wren was asked how he felt about it. He replied "It is the most awful thing I have ever done.":)

Reactions: Palmfever
Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟152,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The English language has a habit of shifting meanings over the years. When St Paul's Cathedral was completed in 1710 the architect Christopher Wren was asked how he felt about it. He replied "It is the most awful thing I have ever done.":)
Yeah, that's why the Strong's Exhaustive Concordance is our friend.

Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟152,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How is the fear of the Lord the beginning of wisdom?
How is the fear of the Lord the beginning of wisdom?
Good question.

Proverbs 8:13 - The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogance, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Job 28:28 - And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding.

Psalms, 33:8 Let all the earth fear the LORD; Let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him.

Proverbs, 14:26 In the fear of the LORD there is strong confidence, And his children will have refuge. The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, That one may avoid the snares of death.

Qal to fear, be afraid

1. to stand in awe of, be awed

2. to fear, reverence, honour, respect

Niphal

3. to be fearful, be dreadful, be feared

4. to cause astonishment and awe, be held in awe

5. to inspire reverence or godly fear or awe
In the above definitions of fear, there is reverence, respect and honor. This aspect of fear evokes one to stand in awe of God. which will instill in those who truly believe to open the door for the Spirit of God to indwell and lead. It is interesting to note that there is, strong confidence, refuge, a fountain of life and avoidance of the snares of death in Godly fear.

And below there is fear that you will be held accountable without defense such in the following scripture. This type of fear may not induce alignment with the will of God.

You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble!” James 2:19

Yes Satan believes, He knows God. He was in heaven speaking with God in Job, 1. He does not however submit to the rule or leadership of God however. He is self directed.

The unprofitable servant was corrected for being wicked and lazy after he made the excuse, “I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground” instead of using it productively (Matthew 25:25).

Rev, 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
God Bless

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Fear has several definitions. When we have the fear of the Lord, we submit ourselves/opinions/behavior to His Word. When we choose to keep our opninions that dont agree with His Word, we dont revere Him and are lukewarm believers .

When we accept/support popular opinion as the truth, there's no fear of the Lord.

His Word is filled with Godly principles, His Word is wisdom.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How would you balance the OT "fear of the Lord" with these NT passages written to believers in Hebrews about fearing God ?

Hebrews 10:26-31
For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a terrifying expectation of judgment and the fury of a fire which will consume the adversaries. 28 Anyone who has set aside the Law of Moses dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay.” And again, “The Lord will judge His people.” 31 It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Hebrews 12:5-11
and you have forgotten the exhortation which is addressed to you as sons,

“My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord,
Nor faint when you are reproved by Him;
6 For those whom the Lord loves He disciplines,
And He scourges every son whom He receives.”

7 It is for discipline that you endure; God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline? 8 But if you are without discipline, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. 9 Furthermore, we had e]" style="box-sizing: border-box">[e]earthly fathers to discipline us, and we respected them; shall we not much rather be subject to the Father of f]" style="box-sizing: border-box">[f]spirits, and live? 10 For they disciplined us for a short time as seemed best to them, but He disciplines us for our good, so that we may share His holiness. 11 All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness.

Hebrews 12:25-29
See to it that you do not refuse Him who is speaking. For if those did not escape when they refused him who warned them on earth, much less will we escape who turn away from Him who warns from heaven. 26 And His voice shook the earth then, but now He has promised, saying, “Yet once more I will shake not only the earth, but also the heaven.” 27 This expression, “Yet once more,” denotes the removing of those things which can be shaken, as of created things, so that those things which cannot be shaken may remain. 28 Therefore, since we receive a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us j]" style="box-sizing: border-box">[j]show gratitude, by which we may offer to God an acceptable service with reverence and awe; 29 for our God is a consuming fire.

hope this helps !!!

Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟152,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How would you balance the OT "fear of the Lord" with these NT passages written to believers in Hebrews about fearing God ?

Hebrews 10:26-31
For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a terrifying expectation of judgment and the fury of a fire which will consume the adversaries. 28 Anyone who has set aside the Law of Moses dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay.” And again, “The Lord will judge His people.” 31 It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Hebrews 12:5-11
and you have forgotten the exhortation which is addressed to you as sons,

“My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord,
Nor faint when you are reproved by Him;
6 For those whom the Lord loves He disciplines,
And He scourges every son whom He receives.”

7 It is for discipline that you endure; God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline? 8 But if you are without discipline, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. 9 Furthermore, we had e]" style="box-sizing: border-box">[e]earthly fathers to discipline us, and we respected them; shall we not much rather be subject to the Father of f]" style="box-sizing: border-box">[f]spirits, and live? 10 For they disciplined us for a short time as seemed best to them, but He disciplines us for our good, so that we may share His holiness. 11 All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness.

Hebrews 12:25-29
See to it that you do not refuse Him who is speaking. For if those did not escape when they refused him who warned them on earth, much less will we escape who turn away from Him who warns from heaven. 26 And His voice shook the earth then, but now He has promised, saying, “Yet once more I will shake not only the earth, but also the heaven.” 27 This expression, “Yet once more,” denotes the removing of those things which can be shaken, as of created things, so that those things which cannot be shaken may remain. 28 Therefore, since we receive a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us j]" style="box-sizing: border-box">[j]show gratitude, by which we may offer to God an acceptable service with reverence and awe; 29 for our God is a consuming fire.

hope this helps !!!
Good scripture.
I don't think of it as OT vs. NT It's more the difference between those on the right side, and those on the outside. Before we were saved, some were saved by fear and some with love. These are motivators. But Proverbs, 9:10 says, "The fear of the Lord is the BEGINNING", not the end.
Those who were saved in the OT were saved by faith same as NT. "Without faith it is impossible to please God". Knowing what we know concerning Judgement, yes, it would be a fearful thing to fall into the wrath of God. Yet God is our Father, and His correction is temporal, for the purpose of making sure that does not happen. I've had my share of children and that while I tried to raise them right, God is infinitely a superior parent.

Reactions: Jesus is YHWH
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The first person mentioned in Holy Scripture to be given the Spirit of God was named Bezaleel. He was responsible for building the tabernacle and everything in it under Moses' administration. So he carried out the instructions given to Moses by Yahweh. "And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, See, I have called by name Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah: And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship, To devise cunning works, to work in gold, and in silver, and in brass, And in cutting of stones, to set them, and in carving of timber, to work in all manner of workmanship." "...they may make all that I have commanded thee;"

(there's counsel, guidance, might and the fear of The Lord - so there's the 7 Spirits of God in this chapter)
These men were highly skilled but recognized they would do their work because of the Spirit of The Lord. Exo 31.

There are several verses that state "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction." Prov 1:7 and "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:..." Psa 111:10

Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟152,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The first person mentioned in Holy Scripture to be given the Spirit of God was named Bezaleel. He was responsible for building the tabernacle and everything in it under Moses' administration. So he carried out the instructions given to Moses by Yahweh. "And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, See, I have called by name Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah: And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship, To devise cunning works, to work in gold, and in silver, and in brass, And in cutting of stones, to set them, and in carving of timber, to work in all manner of workmanship." "...they may make all that I have commanded thee;"

(there's counsel, guidance, might and the fear of The Lord - so there's the 7 Spirits of God in this chapter)
These men were highly skilled but recognized they would do their work because of the Spirit of The Lord. Exo 31.

There are several verses that state "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction." Prov 1:7 and "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:..." Psa 111:10
Just saw this one. For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are different meanings for the word fear. Other Biblical versions terminology of II Tim 1:7 includes "...God did not give us a spirit of timidity or cowardice..." "...God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning ..." "...God did not give us a spirit that makes us afraid..."

"...but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of sound judgment and personal discipline [abilities that result in a calm, well-balanced mind and self-control]...." "...of power, and of love, and of wise discretion." "...God gave not to us the spirit of dread, but of virtue, and of love, and of soberness"

Other Biblical versions terminology with different meaning of fear "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." Pro 9:10 includes "Respect and obey the Lord! This is the beginning of wisdom. To have understanding, you must know the Holy God." "Wisdom begins with respect for the Lord, and understanding begins with knowing the Holy One.""The starting point for acquiring wisdom is to be consumed with awe as you worship Jehovah-God. To receive the revelation of the Holy One, you must come to the one who has living-understanding."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
foundational info- How to have the fear of the Lord:
"My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;
2 So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;
3 Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;
4 If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
5 Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God" Pro 2:1-5.

Last edited:
Upvote 0