✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
something like that. it can also be negative days, however the hibby that works
Yes I have seen that it can end before it begins ...

The Apostles' fast gets the least attention from us. Lent is a VERY BIG THING and the Nativity fast is Very Important. The Dormition fast gets some discussion and is corporately observed. But sometimes the Apostles fast gets talked about and sometimes not. To be fair I think it was nonexistent one year and in the beginning I was not really able to sort everything out. But there is certainly a different emphasis placed on the four major fasts.

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was not taught about the fasts of the Church.

Brief history: I was a Roman Catholic and I prayed for three years for my wife to consent to my conversion to the EO. When she consented, I searched the internet and found out that a Russian Orthodox priest would be visiting Hanoi because there is a fairly large group of Russian Orthodox here. He agreed to meet me, asked me a few questions about my conversion and if I knew what I was getting into and then chrismated me that very same night. So, I did not have a catechism as I believe Father felt that I knew enough of the EO church to be chrismated and then I could learn things as I went, like the fasts. I also believe he chrismated me because we did not know when he would be able to visit again or if any other priests would be able to visit.

There is a very kind man that is Russian and he often checks on me and/or to remind me of upcoming fasts or when a priest will be visiting. But, I guess it's also on me to do research too. I just installed the Orthodox calendar on my iPhone and iPad, so I will do some reading about the fast.

This is very much oversimplified, but you could say we basically go vegan with restrictions on wine and olive oil. You have to check the calendar for specifics. I am in the Orthodox Church in America (OCA), but we often use the Greek Orthodox Calendar and an app called Daily Readings. If I am not mistaken we are all on the same calendar for Lent.

You can eat invertebrate like shrimp during the fast. The important thing is to keep the spirit of the fast through prayer. This may be a good time for you to develop some kind of program to follow to introduce yourself to the church. My family and I are actually doing that during Lent. Even with a very good formation there is so much you can learn.

One other thing... Do not beat yourself up if you miss something or if you struggle to keep the fast, etc. This is a complete lifestyle change that should be undertaken by giving yourself plenty of space.

Btw, your dedication inspires many of us. The drive is so long to our parish that some days I just want to give up and join the local RC parish. It is very difficult with kids. Keep pressing forward

Upvote 0