Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I looked at the Calendar today - and gulped - and realised that it's sneaking up on us !

I've now added all the Sunday dates and details into my Calendar so I won't go wrong.

My First Fast as an Orthodox Christian - I can't believe it - last year I knew I would be changing .

Lord have mercy !

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You're right, the Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee is the last Sunday in January (28th) this year, just a couple weeks away.
I love the evening service on 'Forgiveness Sunday (2/18/18)'

It seems every time the cycle rolls around I learn something new and grow to a deeper appreciation for the ancient Orthodox faith. There are so many opportunities to be engaged and that's even before the fast actually begins.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can't believe it's coming so soon. But Father asked me weeks ago about the Presanctified Liturgies, etc, so I knew it was coming.

I still have my Christmas tree up, y'all. (I always leave it kind of late.) I like to bask in Nativity and Theophany a bit. But Great Lent is SUCH a changing of focus!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
at least we on the New will actually have a decent Apostles Fast this year
Yes I don't think I've really seen a long one yet. I haven't checked yet to see how long it is this year. It can be up to almost 6 weeks at the longest?

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yes I don't think I've really seen a long one yet. I haven't checked yet to see how long it is this year. It can be up to almost 6 weeks at the longest?

It begins June 4th (my name day :) ) this year - so 25 days long.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Principal Moo

St. Alexius, pray for me!
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2016
Virginian living in Hanoi
✟89,896.00
Country
Viet Nam
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What are you guys talking about?
This is actually a question I have as I do not know what you guys and gals are talking about!

I did not really have much of a catechism...

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is actually a question I have as I do not know what you guys and gals are talking about!

I did not really have much of a catechism...
The fast of Great Lent.

Did they not teach you about the fasts of the Church, or are we just being too obscure?

I know I joked about it, but I would not like to see that be something a person didn't get to learn about beforehand.

Upvote 0

Principal Moo

St. Alexius, pray for me!
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2016
Virginian living in Hanoi
✟89,896.00
Country
Viet Nam
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The fast of Great Lent.

Did they not teach you about the fasts of the Church, or are we just being too obscure?

I know I joked about it, but I would not like to see that be something a person didn't get to learn about beforehand.
I was not taught about the fasts of the Church.

Brief history: I was a Roman Catholic and I prayed for three years for my wife to consent to my conversion to the EO. When she consented, I searched the internet and found out that a Russian Orthodox priest would be visiting Hanoi because there is a fairly large group of Russian Orthodox here. He agreed to meet me, asked me a few questions about my conversion and if I knew what I was getting into and then chrismated me that very same night. So, I did not have a catechism as I believe Father felt that I knew enough of the EO church to be chrismated and then I could learn things as I went, like the fasts. I also believe he chrismated me because we did not know when he would be able to visit again or if any other priests would be able to visit.

There is a very kind man that is Russian and he often checks on me and/or to remind me of upcoming fasts or when a priest will be visiting. But, I guess it's also on me to do research too. I just installed the Orthodox calendar on my iPhone and iPad, so I will do some reading about the fast.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

something like that. it can also be negative days, however the hibby that works

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was not taught about the fasts of the Church.

Brief history: I was a Roman Catholic and I prayed for three years for my wife to consent to my conversion to the EO. When she consented, I searched the internet and found out that a Russian Orthodox priest would be visiting Hanoi because there is a fairly large group of Russian Orthodox here. He agreed to meet me, asked me a few questions about my conversion and if I knew what I was getting into and then chrismated me that very same night. So, I did not have a catechism as I believe Father felt that I knew enough of the EO church to be chrismated and then I could learn things as I went, like the fasts. I also believe he chrismated me because we did not know when he would be able to visit again or if any other priests would be able to visit.

There is a very kind man that is Russian and he often checks on me and/or to remind me of upcoming fasts or when a priest will be visiting. But, I guess it's also on me to do research too. I just installed the Orthodox calendar on my iPhone and iPad, so I will do some reading about the fast.
Well your situation is certainly unique. I can't help but think about the Ethiopian who Phillip baptized at their one meeting. But at any rate - I certainly am not saying that what the priest did was wrong under the circumstances. To have you initiated sacramentally is the thing to be concerned with, I am sure. The fasts are only a tool.

I was joking about being informed of the fasts only after being placed in a somewhat committed position, just as a joke. :)

I'm not sure about possibly some differences between jurisdictions, because they sometimes exist. All I know is what the Greeks in America do.

We have Meatfare - which for a week are supposed to try to use up any meat in the fridge, anything that would go to waste. Then Cheesefare - a week to use up milk, cheese, eggs, dairy. After that is clean Monday - when the fast really starts (technically after dark on Sunday but many simply go by the day rather than time of day).

Then, for those who are healthy and able, none of those things are eaten during the period of Great Lent. The fast continues into Holy Week, and some keep it more strictly then. (Eating even less, sometimes eating only food that is either uncooked or cooked only with water - like being boiled, etc.)

During Great Lent, not only is it fasting from food, but increased prayer, increased attention to our spiritual life, increased giving to the poor, and there are extra Church services. Many make an effort to read something that helps with repentance or spiritual discipline or growth. It is one of the periods where we make Confession a priority.

I'm not sure how some of those would work for you. Everything is directed by one's priest. Many of us (myself included) have to approach some aspect(s) differently - that's just an outline. There are probably some nuances that are more important in how it gets lived out than the simple things I've mentioned.

As for me, it's always a terrible struggle in various ways. But what I have found so far is that I learn more in the struggles and what sometimes feels like failure than in "doing well". Both have value, if we cooperate with God.

Upvote 0