Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the history. I plan to look up some things you mentioned. I was reading the Bible the other day and noticed Paul mentioned that a letter to the Laodiceans should be read, Colossians 4:16. So that letter to the Laodiceans was also not included in the NT.

So true that the original church is not recognized today, but we have the Holy Spirit that leads and guides us in all truth. We must still remain faithful to Jesus and pray for a true heart and discernment.

Yes it is so sad what Tyndale and others had to endure. They fought to get the Bible to the plain people, which include us today, so that all would come to know Jesus.

May Gods bless you abundantly!
Agreed.
I do want to mention that Paul mentioned Clement in a letter...It could be Clement of Rome...

Clement of Rome was a first-century convert who had that incredible privilege. If you look in your New Testament at Philippians 4:3, you will see a Clement referred to who very well could be the same Clement we are looking at in this issue.

source: Clement of Rome

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,563.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agreed.
I do want to mention that Paul mentioned Clement in a letter...It could be Clement of Rome...

Clement of Rome was a first-century convert who had that incredible privilege. If you look in your New Testament at Philippians 4:3, you will see a Clement referred to who very well could be the same Clement we are looking at in this issue.

Thanks. Not sure, I need to look further into who Clement is in Philippians. I saw two opinions relating to time period and Clement’s age at the time Paul wrote the epistle to the Philippians.

Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,563.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agreed.

Just want to say thanks again. You have given me a lesson from the Bible that’s important to study. Now I will be more aware of the names mentioned in Paul’s salutations!

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. Not sure, I need to look further into who Clement is in Philippians. I saw two opinions relating to time period and Clement’s age at the time Paul wrote the epistle to the Philippians.
Yes. I've never done this, but it's a good idea.
IOW, I trust Clement of Rome sufficiently, even if he is NOT the one in Philippians.
Would you be willing to report back?

And, if you're going to check this out, I'd also like to say that I read the Father's closest to the time of Jesus,
although I do understand that 100 years back then is not like 100 years now - information didn't travel so fast.
But after 325AD, the Council of Nicea, the church began to change a lot and I pretty much stop reading them after that.

Please understand that the bible is our authority...
but in some cases it's good to know what those that were taught by the Apostles believed.

For instance: Polycarp was a student of John.
Ignatius of Antioch was a student of Peter.
Clement of Rome was a student of Paul.

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,563.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes. I've never done this, but it's a good idea.
IOW, I trust Clement of Rome sufficiently, even if he is NOT the one in Philippians.
Would you be willing to report back?

And, if you're going to check this out, I'd also like to say that I read the Father's closest to the time of Jesus,
although I do understand that 100 years back then is not like 100 years now - information didn't travel so fast.
But after 325AD, the Council of Nicea, the church began to change a lot and I pretty much stop reading them after that.

Please understand that the bible is our authority...
but in some cases it's good to know what those that were taught by the Apostles believed.

For instance: Polycarp was a student of John.
Ignatius of Antioch was a student of Peter.
Clement of Rome was a student of Paul.
You have put me to task. There is a lot here to research. Yes I will report back after sweating through this history you mentioned.

• Haha
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have put me to task. There is a lot here to research. Yes I will report back after sweating through this history you mentioned.
Since you're really interested, I have some pointers.

You could search google (so easy these days)
By ECFs in general.
EARLY CHURCH FATHERS

You could, instead, search in general as to what they wrote about a specific topic.
EARLY CHURCH FATHERS AND ETERNAL SALVATION (or whatever)

Or

IGNATIUS ON DOING GOOD WORKS

Or

On YouTube
David Bercot writer, expert
WHAT THE EARLY CHURCH FATHERS BELIEVED ABOUT................

He has a very good series.

There's so much to know about our faith and history. I hope you enjoy this, I certainly did.
And i dont know how we could really be sure about Clement in Philippians,,,no matter.

I only will read the ones up to 325, council of Nicea. Or very soon after.

Then church history...
: )

Upvote 0

nhisname

Dec 21, 2020
SW MO
✟28,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi,
The above is all true.

I just want to say that there is a big difference...
Mary carried the human God in her body.

I'm not catholic, but I really tire of the effort made by protestants to downplay the role of Mary.
Jesus never called Mary blessed mother instead he called her woman. Jesus never put anyone above the Father. The same goes for us.
Luke 11:27-28
As he said these things, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts at which you nursed!” But he said, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!”
Matt 12:46-50
46 While he was still speaking to the people, behold, his mother and his brothers[a] stood outside, asking to speak to him.[b] 48 But he replied to the man who told him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” 49 And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! 50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,563.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since you're really interested, I have some pointers.

You could search google (so easy these days)
By ECFs in general.
EARLY CHURCH FATHERS

You could, instead, search in general as to what they wrote about a specific topic.
EARLY CHURCH FATHERS AND ETERNAL SALVATION (or whatever)

Or

IGNATIUS ON DOING GOOD WORKS

Or

On YouTube
David Bercot writer, expert
WHAT THE EARLY CHURCH FATHERS BELIEVED ABOUT................

He has a very good series.

There's so much to know about our faith and history. I hope you enjoy this, I certainly did.
And i dont know how we could really be sure about Clement in Philippians,,,no matter.

I only will read the ones up to 325, council of Nicea. Or very soon after.

Then church history...
: )
As I read about these early church fathers, I see from what I read, their doctrines seem to go against the gospel.

For example, the work of these men, Irenaeus, Justin Martyr, Agustine, Chrystostom, Eusebius, Jerome, and Ambrose were based on trying to adhere to the gospel message, however some of their own writings were used to create doctrines that gleaned from the gospel, but not really following the gospel. They became famous, so to speak, for their own writings.

Those that came after the Council of Nicea, Agustine, Chrystostom, Eusebius, Jerome, and Ambrose carried out the mission of defending the gospel against all kinds of heresies, however, forgetting the true transmittal of the gospel. Defending the gospel became a doctrine which overshadowed the true meaning of the gospel.

I don’t see the significance of these men in comparison to what has already been written.

I don’t see the importance of these men in comparison to the prophets, disciples, and apostles. Men who received the gospel which was spread from the seven churches of Asia Minor, were to teach according to how Apostle Paul taught it and not stray from the teachings, thus understanding that we are given revelation, strength, and power by the Holy Spirit. To stray away diminishes the Power of the Holy Spirit to operate in a believer’s life to be conformed to the image of Christ.

This eliminates all people, teachings and other doctrines that came after the gospel:

• Apostle Paul said to be followers of him, as he is of Christ, 1 Corinthians 11:1.
  • “In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel. Romans 2:16
  • “Now unto him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, Romans 16:25
  • But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith, Romans 16:26

Upvote 0