Scotland
✟245,239.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is exactly what happened with virtually every revival that has happened over the years, Brownsville, Pensacola, Toronto. Overall I would say that the whole charismatic movement is in decline. Even a lot of so-called Pentecostals are no longer practicing the gifts and prohibiting it in today's day and age. The state of Christianity is very dead in the gifts and I have no doubt it is because of the abuse of them and the lack of discernment that occurred over the last 20 years.

I agree with you! I think part of the problem is that discernment and accountability are missing, anyone can present anything as long as it seems superficially positive and popular.

I think the antidote in part is:
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will (Romans 12:2)

Renewing the mind with the word of God will enable us to immediately be aware when we are confronted with something that is off or wrong in the church. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yet for all that they still refuse to believe prophecy without their mockery of the spirit of judgment .Falling back slain in the Spirit.

Are you saying that the Spirit of God no longer comes upon believers and overcomes them?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Abide with me.

Jan 8, 2021
Norfolk
✟40,976.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Speaking in tongues was gifted by the holy spirit so people of all nations could understand in their own languages, I have been in churches where they may have thought they were doing that, but in fact were just babbling embarrassing gobbledygook to the mortification of their own children.
So I would consider this a fad of mimicry that I think Jesus would reject unless he had gifted it to these individuals himself, and as they were completely incomprehensible I would say he had not.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Speaking in tongues was gifted by the holy spirit so people of all nations could understand in their own languages, I have been in churches where they may have thought they were doing that, but in fact were just babbling embarrassing gobbledygook to the mortification of their own children.
So I would consider this a fad of mimicry that I think Jesus would reject unless he had gifted it to these individuals himself, and as they were completely incomprehensible I would say he had not.

I was asking about folks being overcome by the Power of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Speaking in tongues was gifted by the holy spirit so people of all nations could understand in their own languages..."

That only happened on the day of Pentecost. It didn't happen In the other groups where all there received and spoke in tongues in Acts 4:31; 10:44-46; 19:2-6.

The only group that doesn't state"all" received tongues is when there was mockery of tongues on Pentecost - not in the Upper Room.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since God can cause a building to shake, don't think people would be a problem. "When they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness." Acts 4:31

Here's some scriptures that says they fell - in all directions:
-2Ch 5:14 "So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God."
-Rev 1:17 "And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:"
-Eze 44:4 "Then the man brought me by way of the north gate to the front of the temple. I looked, and the glory of the Lord filled his temple. And I fell facedown."
-They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them. As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.” John 18:5-6
-"Then the Lord opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the Lord standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and he bowed down his head, and fell flat on his face." Num 22:3

They trembled including:
-"And all the people saw the thunderings, and the flames, and the sound of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking; and when the people saw [it], they trembled, and stood afar off,"
-"Then were assembled to me every one that trembled at the words of the God of Israel, because of the unfaithfulness of those that had been carried away; and I sat overwhelmed until the evening oblation." Ezra

They laughed including-
"Then was our mouth filled with laughter, and our tongue with rejoicing: then said they among the nations, Jehovah hath done great things for them.... Jehovah hath done great things for us; [and] we are joyful." PSA 126:2-3
"Till he fill thy mouth with laughing, and thy lips with rejoicing." Job 8
"...for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness, and peace, and joy in [the] Holy Spirit." Rom 14:17

I'm sure some are offended

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Firstly, do you speak in tongues?

Secondly, speaking in tongues is a wonderful and powerful gift with an application that goes way way beyond just speaking to foreigners.

Man's biggest enemy when it comes to praying in faith is the human intellect, which, flowing from the spirit the gift of tongues completely bypasses.

Upvote 0