The Facts About Billy Graham

Jul 15, 2011
✟7,651.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Here is two results of 15 seconds on Google

1. The biggest compensation gainer among top executives was Franklin Graham of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, whose compensation rose 534% to $633,722, much of the gain because of a $366,000 retirement payment. Graham, 57, son of Billy Graham, also earns $483,000 as CEO of charity Samaritan's Purse.

2.Graham earned $633,722 as President of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association and another $483,000 from his second job as President of Samaritan's Purse. The former is supposed to be a missionary and evangelism organization, and the latter, a Christian relief organization to help the poor.

I can't post links for some reason -

but I am sure if you spend more than 15 seconds, you will find more.

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Sorry, I completely disagree - the individual finding their own fact ensures the facts to their own mind. It also eliminates the need to back up the context or validity of the source.

There are too many who just like to argue.

Thank you for your input.

You didn't read the rest did you? You can't disagree, it's a fallacy which is called shifting the burden of proof. Well you can disagree then I'll think of of a river in Egypt called D'nile. Billy Graham only makes $68,500 per year, plus he has to pay his own expenses. Look it up, easy to find. But I think it's funny that you question him when you work in a soup kitchen and take home over $673,285.43 per year plus bonuses.

See why it's a fallacy? It's very similar to making things up.

Upvote 0

JEBrady

Mar 24, 2006
NY
✟17,370.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

I think you are mistaking the "Baptism of/in/by/with the Holy Spirit" with the gift of tongues (the typical Pentecostal mistake). They are totally unrelated. The Baptism of/in/by/with the Holy Spirit is the action of the Holy Spirit that inducts us into the Body of Christ (1 Cor. 12.12-13) and tongues are simply a gift of the Holy Spirit as is any other gift, nothing more, nothing less. But I do agree with you, there is no better example of modern Christian evangelism than Billy Graham.

~Jim

You post this quite often. I just asked someone else what they thought of Acts 8, so I'd like to ask you the same (you're on different sides of this doctrinal question). In Acts 8, the Samaritans believed under the ministry of Philip, but after receiving Christ and being baptized in Jesus' name, why did Peter and John have to come lay hands on them before they could receive the Holy Spirit? How do you read that?

Upvote 0

Simon Peter

14th Generation PROTESTant
Mar 4, 2004
America
✟4,491.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ministry watch is hardly a bastion of truth, nor do they offer any proof.

Why is it so hard to find out what his personal wealth is?

It's not hard. Here it is their IRS return for 2010, from Graham's own site.

irs.png

http://www.billygraham.org/assets/media/pdfs/development/financialcommitment/2010Form990BGEA.pdf

Billy Graham:
$101,849 (reportable compensation)
$125,071 (other compensation)

Total: $226,920

I can find lots on Osteen and the Hinn types - but nothing on him. I wonder why there is nothing on Graham?

You can find lots on Osteen and Hinn types?

Then post the income of Hinn and Osteen.

As I have previously said, I don't have anything against Billy Graham making money - I don't have anything against the prosperity quacks making money either.

But does everyone kiss Graham and curse others.

An example:

Name a man who:

Calls himself an evangelist

Flies in private jets
Makes millions of dollars on books and other media
lives in a multi-million dollar estate

Receives gifts from rich people
Takes tithes and offering from poor people.
Enjoys celebrity status and treatment where ever he goes.

Is it Joel Osteen or Billy Graham

It accurately describes both

Is that what this is really about? Are you just trying to justify the lifestyle of Hinn and Osteen?

Have you ever posted on this forum before? Or do you post on CF under another name, BTW?

Peace,
Simon

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mrhappy3

May 9, 2006
LONDON
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
You post this quite often. I just asked someone else what they thought of Acts 8, so I'd like to ask you the same (you're on different sides of this doctrinal question). In Acts 8, the Samaritans believed under the ministry of Philip, but after receiving Christ and being baptized in Jesus' name, why did Peter and John have to come lay hands on them before they could receive the Holy Spirit? How do you read that?

This verse and ACTS 19 make me continue to believe the BITHS is an additional experience of the Spirit.

Luke 11v13 does not make sense either, if it isn't.

Only God can convince me otherwise. He is silent.:)

Upvote 0

CharisseV

Sep 20, 2011
Florida
✟15,121.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Have you ever stopped to consider that those who believe in prosperity are the ones with huge ministries and can afford to be on television? Those who don't believe they should have money to fund the ministry aren't on television preaching because they can't afford it...

Just something to think about...

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you ever stopped to consider that those who believe in prosperity are the ones with huge ministries and can afford to be on television? Those who don't believe they should have money to fund the ministry aren't on television preaching because they can't afford it...

Just something to think about...
Here's something else to think about. If you lacked integrity and spent your entire adult life building a monster mailing list of gullible people who would send you money just for the asking, you would be rich, too. My question is, if prosperity really works why doesn't it work for everybody and not just for tele-fundraisers with big mailing lists?

Just sayin'.

BTW, I am rich (in the biblical sense, Rev. 2.9) and I didn't have to deceive people into giving me money in order to get rich.

~Jim
Saying what you think is not the same as saying what you know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JEBrady

Mar 24, 2006
NY
✟17,370.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
This verse and ACTS 19 make me continue to believe the BITHS is an additional experience of the Spirit.

Luke 11v13 does not make sense either, if it isn't.

Only God can convince me otherwise. He is silent.:)

If I came at the Acts 8 passage with Jim's perspective, I'd have to assume you had to have hands laid on you before you could be saved. So I wondered what he did with that passage. You could tack Acts 19 onto that as well.

To get back to Dr. Graham, I'm not aware of him demonstrating any manifestation of the Holy Spirit, but from what I've read, he's not a cessationist, in spite of being SBC. Interestingly, in the Acts 8 passage, the ministry of evangelist is shown to include demonstration of the power of the Spirit- specifically miracles, healings, casting out of demons.

Upvote 0
Jul 15, 2011
✟7,651.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Is that what this is really about? Are you just trying to justify the lifestyle of Hinn and Osteen?

Have you ever posted on this forum before? Or do you post on CF under another name, BTW?

Peace,
Simon

No, I apologize for not making myself clear, let me state clearly.

I am not for nor against an individual making money at their trade. Even if their chosen profession is preaching.

However, I also think it is unrealistic nearing ludicrousness to have two individuals doing the EXACT same thing and yet one is demonized and the other put on a pedantic elevated platform and saluted.

Billy Graham

• calls himself an evangelist
  • Flies in private jets
  • Makes millions of dollars on books and other media
  • lives in a multi-million dollar estate
  • Receives gifts from rich people
  • Takes tithes and offering from poor people.
  • Enjoys celebrity status and treatment where ever he goes.

All from preaching the gospel. I have, in other places, heard people question the validity of the salvation's at his meetings.

This isn't a judgement, it is a simple statement of fact.

If it is acceptable for one, then why are others demonized for doing the EXACT SAME THING?

And no, I don't come in here often because I work many hours and just do not have the time.

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, I apologize for not making myself clear, let me state clearly.

I am not for nor against an individual making money at their trade. Even if their chosen profession is preaching.

However, I also think it is unrealistic nearing ludicrousness to have two individuals doing the EXACT same thing and yet one is demonized and the other put on a pedantic elevated platform and saluted.

Billy Graham

• calls himself an evangelist
  • Flies in private jets
  • Makes millions of dollars on books and other media
  • lives in a multi-million dollar estate
  • Receives gifts from rich people
  • Takes tithes and offering from poor people.
  • Enjoys celebrity status and treatment where ever he goes.

All from preaching the gospel. I have, in other places, heard people question the validity of the salvation's at his meetings.

This isn't a judgement, it is a simple statement of fact.

If it is acceptable for one, then why are others demonized for doing the EXACT SAME THING?

And no, I don't come in here often because I work many hours and just do not have the time.

I would suggest that those who are seeking riches themselves and are without, always show venomous jealousy towards those who have.

Upvote 0

Tobias

Relationship over Religion
Jan 8, 2004
California
✟21,764.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
I have to admit, that I am rather disappointed in learning just how much the Grahams make each year. Preaching the Gospel is not a money-making career, not in my opinion. But there is also a lot to be said in how this money is made, as well.

Some preachers take a moderate salary, but gain their wealth off of book and cd sales. I really don't see much difference, because I would hope that the books and cd are also a medium for preaching the gospel, so overcharging for these in order to gain wealth is no better than keeping too much of the offerings people send in.

In some cases, the amount of money taken in and kept by the preacher isn't the real issue. Those who lie from the pulpit and claim they are broke when they are not, or sell blessings and use other gimmicks to fleece the flock... could live off of only $20,000 a year and I would still have a problem with them. They don't deserve even that much!

As the case with Franklin Graham, he is the CEO of two different non-profit organizations, and collects a healthy salary from both. How the World justifies that non-profit CEO's should get 3-500,000 dollars a year, I do not know! But I do have a problem listening to Franklin justify his income, mostly by comparing secular companies with his own. It just doesn't fly with me that the excuse that the ministries were playing catch-up by paying him $2-300,000 each into his retirement accounts both in the same year; is why his income went over a million dollars. Income that is, reported by the two organizations. We don't know just how much more he might be gaining yearly from royalties and other investments.

I can understand the justification that, because everybody else is doing it, then why not me? But seriously, does Billy Graham need $226,920 each year from his ministry for being retired? They seem to be doing a really good job at giving his son plenty of extra cash to retire with, doesn't he have any savings himself? :confused:

Some people dig deep to help support organizations such as these in the hopes that their dollars are going to something useful. I don't think it is right to gain millions upon millions of dollars for your own personal wealth out of the heart-felt donations of others.

Personal donations made directly to the preacher is another thing altogether though. :) I remember Benny Hinn being seen driving an expensive car through the security gates at the neighborhood where he lived. People freaked out! As it turned out though, some nice fellow had paid off the mortgage on his house, and he felt the need to move into a secluded estate where people couldn't come bugging him knocking at his door.

I can't say I think Hinn spent the money wisely, but iirc I think the gift was for around $400,000. This I have absolutely no problem with. A 400k one time gift from someone who wants you to use the money to take care of your family so you can spend your time concentrating on the gospel. But that is ever so much different than "earning" 400k each and every year from those who donate the money for use of the ministry, or to help alleviate the needs of those starving in other countries!

I think that preachers, if they would just limit themselves to a moderate salary, could use what they make and learn to live within their budget. If God wants to bless them, then wealth can most certainly come through other means besides ministry donations. Rather than charging excessively so we can be blessed with them preaching the Gospel, they could trust God for their extra wealth, and perhaps someone will donate personal funds or maybe God could give the preacher wisdom on where to invest his money, which could pay off to where he doesn't have to rely upon more donations to survive through his retirement years!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

patience7

Oct 11, 2010
Louisiana
✟9,906.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I just have to ask - what's it to anyone if God chose to bless Reverend Graham with every thing that he has? What's so wrong about that? I doubt if any one individual ever gave anything to his ministry unless they wanted to give to his ministry. I mean he didn't twist their arms for the offerings. I just really don't understand what the problem is.

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
So someone was given ten, someone was given five, I was given one. Then I spend the next year complaining about the one, which was then taken from me and given to the guy who already had ten times my amount. It's just so unfair! Then I started a job at 4 in the morning, another guy was hired at 5 and so on, each hour, until I was sitting down for coffee at 3, when the last guy was hired. We finished up at 4 and we all got the same amount for our work. It's just so unfair!

Or how about I am really thankful for what I do have, and compared to 90% of the world, I'm doing really well.

Upvote 0

patience7

Oct 11, 2010
Louisiana
✟9,906.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So someone was given ten, someone was given five, I was given one. Then I spend the next year complaining about the one, which was then taken from me and given to the guy who already had ten times my amount. It's just so unfair! Then I started a job at 4 in the morning, another guy was hired at 5 and so on, each hour, until I was sitting down for coffee at 3, when the last guy was hired. We finished up at 4 and we all got the same amount for our work. It's just so unfair!

Or how about I am really thankful for what I do have, and compared to 90% of the world, I'm doing really well.

AMEN!

Upvote 0

Tobias

Relationship over Religion
Jan 8, 2004
California
✟21,764.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
I just have to ask - what's it to anyone if God chose to bless Reverend Graham with every thing that he has? What's so wrong about that? I doubt if any one individual ever gave anything to his ministry unless they wanted to give to his ministry. I mean he didn't twist their arms for the offerings. I just really don't understand what the problem is.

As I mentioned, I don't have a problem if it is God who is blessing one of His servants.

There are however, three main forces at work here on this planet: God, Man, and Satan. Does God bless through illegal means? No. We must acknowledge that there are means through which a minister can get rich that God has no part of.

Using a bit of logic and discernment, I don't think it is impossible to determine whether a minister is being blessed by God, by Satan, or by the hand of Man. I don't claim to have all the answers in this department, but I do think we can put our heads together and come up with a reasonable approximation of what the differences might be!

Upvote 0

patience7

Oct 11, 2010
Louisiana
✟9,906.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As I mentioned, I don't have a problem if it is God who is blessing one of His servants.

There are however, three main forces at work here on this planet: God, Man, and Satan. Does God bless through illegal means? No. We must acknowledge that there are means through which a minister can get rich that God has no part of.

Using a bit of logic and discernment, I don't think it is impossible to determine whether a minister is being blessed by God, by Satan, or by the hand of Man. I don't claim to have all the answers in this department, but I do think we can put our heads together and come up with a reasonable approximation of what the differences might be!

I understand what you are saying and I agree. In my previous post, I was just speaking as to Billy Graham and I honestly do believe that his ministry has been blessed by God.

Upvote 0