Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Here's the thing. I get it that some people are encultured to perceive certain words as verboten, and thus don't like them--they don't like using them and they don't like hearing them. And no problem. More power to them.

What I don't understand is how this relates to serious ethics and morality.

Not using words to hurt people I understand. From a Christian perspective I am reminded of Jesus' great commandment to love my neighbor, as well as St. James' statement that "with the same tongue comes blessing and cursing, with it we bless our God and Father and with it we curse our fellow man created in God's image, my brothers this should not be." St. Paul says "let no rotten speech proceed from your mouth, but let only that which is good and uplifting that it may grant others grace". Because language can be used to both cause pain to others, and to help others. But this isn't about a particular set of words, in and of themselves, it is fundamentally about our relationship toward our neighbor--how we treat other people.

If I stub my toe and responsively say the F-word, that is something completely different than if I say something cruel to another human being. The latter is wrong regardless of whether I use the F-word or not.

And so I am inherently put off by people who pat themselves on the back and congratulate themselves for not saying certain words which, as a culture, we've arbitrarily chosen to to be naughty. As though this were somehow a moral accomplishment. It is almost the very definition of whitewashing a sepulcher, a meaningless moralistic rule one has chosen to keep for themselves, and then acting as though that were somehow an act of righteousness.

Moralism is not righteousness.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What is apparently acceptable and normal is not necessarily right. I look to scripture for what is right. Foul language has no place in a christian mouth and heart. How could it?

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟930,398.00
Faith
Atheist
What is apparently acceptable and normal is not necessarily right. I look to scripture for what is right. Foul language has no place in a christian mouth and heart. How could it?
The problem is that any definition of "foul" language is arbitrary.

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,029.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Indeed. We all know very well what is foul language. That it serves no good purpose. It is at best a bad habit, essentially an evil thing. Certainly not of God.

Your opinion isn’t shared with anyone I know, theist or non theist. It seems very similar to someone complaining about any innocuous practice, like dancing or celebrating birthdays.

Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟150,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Well I share that opinion and I also know people who do.

Swearing is totally different from dancing or celebrating birthdays. No one gets offended or upset because people dance or celebrate a birthday, and they are not wrong either.

Upvote 0

Saricharity

Follower of Christ
Mar 24, 2014
Canada
✟75,597.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.
Ephesians 4:29

But now you must also put away all the following: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and filthy language from your mouth. Colossians 3:8

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Well I share that opinion and I also know people who do.

Swearing is totally different from dancing or celebrating birthdays. No one gets offended or upset because people dance or celebrate a birthday, and they are not wrong either.

You obviously didn't attend the Baptist school I did as a child, because they most certainly did find dancing offensive.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Indeed. We all know very well what is foul language.

Do we? Because apart from George Carlin's seven words, it seems that there's a whole lot of differences of opinion on that subject.

For example, is anatomical and bodily language words inappropriate? Because I've certainly known people who are quite terribly offended by words such as "penis" and "fart". Is that foul language? If yes, why? If not, why?

Who makes these decisions?

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.
Ephesians 4:29

But now you must also put away all the following: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and filthy language from your mouth. Colossians 3:8

What do you think "unwholesome word" and "filthy language" means in the context of St. Paul's letters?

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

Saricharity

Follower of Christ
Mar 24, 2014
Canada
✟75,597.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you think "unwholesome word" and "filthy language" means in the context of St. Paul's letters?

I know what it means very well, thanks. My father is a minister. You would be surprised how much I know about the scriptures. I just like to use scripture to answer questions where possible. God's word is a very strong teacher and speaks for itself.

Do you believe that it is honourable and Christ-like to use the f-word? I haven't read this thread completely but your questioning leads me to believe that you think using cultural profanity is acceptable for Christians.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
People's view of what words are and are not offensive has changed over time. According to Oxford English Dictionary the F word traces its origin to 1663 although more recent sources that I've seen trace it to the 1500s. At one time it was a common term for the sexual act. It wasn't until the early 1800's that it took on negative connotations.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I know what it means very well, thanks. My father is a minister. You would be surprised how much I know about the scriptures. I just like to use scripture to answer questions where possible. God's word is a very strong teacher and speaks for itself.

Do you believe that it is honourable and Christ-like to use the f-word? I haven't read this thread completely but your questioning leads me to believe that you think using cultural profanity is acceptable for Christians.

In none of that did you actually bother to answer the question.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Saricharity

Follower of Christ
Mar 24, 2014
Canada
✟75,597.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In none of that did you actually bother to answer the question.

You are correct. I chose not to, just like you chose not to answer mine.
I let God's word speak for itself, and allow the Holy Spirit to speak to others.

Reactions: Grace2022
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,029.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
You are correct. I chose not to, just like you chose not to answer mine.
I let God's word speak for itself, and allow the Holy Spirit to speak to others.
I don’t see much point in posting at all then.

Upvote 0

Saricharity

Follower of Christ
Mar 24, 2014
Canada
✟75,597.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I originally posted scripture. There is always a point to posting God's Word.

All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 1 Tim 3:16

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I originally posted scripture. There is always a point to posting God's Word.

All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 1 Tim 3:16

Okay, then I offer Psalm 3:1 in response.

"O LORD, how many are my foes! Many are rising against me;" - Psalm 3:1

If posting Scripture, without meaningful context or exegesis, is sufficient, then my use of Psalm 3:1 should suffice as a rebuttal. Yes? Yes I think so. I should know, my father was a photographer for 30 years.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The problem is that any definition of "foul" language is arbitrary.

This is the truth. I learned this as a kid, having lived in a pretty backwards farming community then moving to Atlanta. I hadn't known it was wrong to call black folks colored or Negro until I was publicly shamed for it. I won't repeat all the things I heard commonly, then learned were considered foul, bad language.

I don't care much one way or the other about the F word & such. Now I don't use cuss myself, but I surely don't get up on my high horse to look down on folks who do now & then. Folks who act superior & holier than thou bug me a whole lot more than cussers.

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0