Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As somebody with Crohn’s Disease, I hope my body and how it functions isn’t a testament to the brilliance of God. My body and how it functions is a testament to how using the s-word is sometimes wholly appropriate. ^_^

I most certainly understand as I have quite a few health conditions myself. If I may offer another perspective: the cascading effect of symptoms that arises when one sole function goes awry illustrates how delicately intertwined the body's systems are. In most healthy individuals, the number of cells and systems that must come together in perfect orchestration is nearly unfathomable. In most ill individuals, perhaps one or a few functions have malfunctioned, yet many more still function in harmony. That, I see as evidence of God's genius design. For that reason, I choose to honor His design by not deliberately using the anatomy or physiology He created as a basis for insult. I do understand that in a moment of severe pain, injury, or other symptom, it is difficult to maintain full control of one's speech; however, in that case, it is not deliberate.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I need to let off steam. I wanted to put this subject on my own facebook page and i ought not. I am just too angry.

What is it with the F Word? It is everywhere. In films, comedians use it, Facebook postings. I even saw a clip of a child singing a song filled with swearing. I am utterly fed up of it.

Analyse it. What does it mean? Why say it? Is people's mentality and vocabulary so limited they cannot use other words?

While we are about it why is the name of Jesus Christ our precious beautiful Lord dragged through the dirt constantly?

I cannot bear it. Swearing demeans everyone and shows the speaker up immediately in my view as a fool. Soon as they swear they lose all respect from me.

Went to see a film '3 Billboards' and oh the unnecessary language. I hated it. Yet it could have been so good. Women swearing is especially appalling. Been to see Billy Elliot the musical, children swore even in songs.

I do not swear. My friends and the circles i move in do not use bad language. People may laugh but let them. I don't care. I have standards and i will upkeep them. We are judged by the company we keep and the words we use. Words are power and should be used for good, respectfully and wisely.

If i put all the above on my facebook page i would be looked upon no doubt as a ranting nutter. Old fashioned. But am i? Surely someone has to stand up and say no! Enough now. Not follow like stupid sheep. A comedian comes on tv, F words, audience laughs hysterically. Why? Do any of them stop and think?

I feel better now. What do you think?

By the way i do not believe anyone can be a true follower of Jesus Christ and use foul language. The two are not compatible or possible. That's my view.
Agree with your post.

The popularity of coarse language has always puzzled me, why even the coarse words themselves, never seem to change over time.

When I hurt myself I will still automatically swear, I have no control over that.

A recent scientific study showed that swearing, lessens the effect of pain.

A nurse once told me that when women give birth, they swear their heads off, Christian or non Christian.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I most certainly understand as I have quite a few health conditions myself. If I may offer another perspective: the cascading effect of symptoms that arises when one sole function goes awry illustrates how delicately intertwined the body's systems are. In most healthy individuals, the number of cells and systems that must come together in perfect orchestration is nearly unfathomable. In most ill individuals, perhaps one or a few functions have malfunctioned, yet many more still function in harmony.

Spoken like somebody who has no idea what life with Crohn’s is like. :oldthumbsup:

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single

A nurse once told me that when women give birth, they swear their heads off, Christian or non Christian.
Reminds me of a Mark Twain quote:

"Under certain circumstances, urgent circumstances,
desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief
denied even to prayer."

-

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Agree with your post.

The popularity of coarse language has always puzzled me, why even the coarse words themselves, never seem to change over time.

When I hurt myself I will still automatically swear, I have no control over that.

Hi
I didn't. I had a 2 day labour and appalling time but i never swore. So no, it is not automatic. We do have control over our tongues if we choose.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi
I didn't. I had a 2 day labour and appalling time but i never swore. So no, it is not automatic. We do have control over our tongues if we choose.
Are you an exception to the rule?

It is not as if I know anything about childbirth, that is what a nurse told me?

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2018
United States
✟17,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hi

Likewise, I have endured excruciating, unbearable pain related to my health conditions, which did not cause me to swear. On the contrary, in my worst moments, words and thoughts have escaped me entirely.

I understand it may be automatic for some, but that is certainly not the case for all. It is indeed possible to suffer to an extreme extent without swearing on impulse. As mentioned earlier, I do not pass judgment on those who swear in these circumstances--however, it is not fair to assume that those who do not swear have not suffered as greatly, either. It is simply a matter of different coping strategies.

• Winner
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I actually take a firm view. I do not find swearing acceptable under any circumstances. I don't mix with anyone who has a foul mouth. It does matter. It is about standards.
I believe if you are a follower of Jesus Christ, then surely you would not have the inclination to use bad language.

I know people who say their children swear. I bet that those parents set the example. Children or teenagers swearing is utterly unacceptable. I also will switch off from any film where they use the F word as i absolutely cannot bear it. It is never necessary and certainly not in the hearing of ladies and kids.

But that's me. I didnt used to be like this. But i am proud to be so now. I think Mary Whitehouse was a superb lady when she fought to restore decent standards back in time. Look at our world now. So many people just do not care.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I need to let off steam. I wanted to put this subject on my own facebook page and i ought not. I am just too angry.

What is it with the F Word? It is everywhere. In films, comedians use it, Facebook postings. I even saw a clip of a child singing a song filled with swearing. I am utterly fed up of it.

Analyse it. What does it mean? Why say it? Is people's mentality and vocabulary so limited they cannot use other words?

While we are about it why is the name of Jesus Christ our precious beautiful Lord dragged through the dirt constantly?

I cannot bear it. Swearing demeans everyone and shows the speaker up immediately in my view as a fool. Soon as they swear they lose all respect from me.

Went to see a film '3 Billboards' and oh the unnecessary language. I hated it. Yet it could have been so good. Women swearing is especially appalling. Been to see Billy Elliot the musical, children swore even in songs.

I do not swear. My friends and the circles i move in do not use bad language. People may laugh but let them. I don't care. I have standards and i will upkeep them. We are judged by the company we keep and the words we use. Words are power and should be used for good, respectfully and wisely.

If i put all the above on my facebook page i would be looked upon no doubt as a ranting nutter. Old fashioned. But am i? Surely someone has to stand up and say no! Enough now. Not follow like stupid sheep. A comedian comes on tv, F words, audience laughs hysterically. Why? Do any of them stop and think?

By the way i do not believe anyone can be a true follower of Jesus Christ and use foul language. The two are not compatible or possible. That's my view.
I find the use of profanity in movies by children to be pretty disgusting. They have actors as young as five reciting filthy words, making crude jokes, and graphically describing adult things that no little kid should even know about. What in the world? A little kid screaming "$)&@" you!!!" at an actor portraying a dad is supposed to be hilarious? How, exactly?

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Exactly. Swearing achieves nothing good. It is not of God. Especially when our Lord's name is used as dirt. Absolutely nothing funny or useful about it. I abhor it.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
I actually take a firm view. I do not find swearing acceptable under any circumstances. I don't mix with anyone who has a foul mouth. It does matter. It is about standards.
I believe if you are a follower of Jesus Christ, then surely you would not have the inclination to use bad language.

I know people who say their children swear. I bet that those parents set the example. Children or teenagers swearing is utterly unacceptable. I also will switch off from any film where they use the F word as i absolutely cannot bear it. It is never necessary and certainly not in the hearing of ladies and kids.

But that's me. I didnt used to be like this. But i am proud to be so now. I think Mary Whitehouse was a superb lady when she fought to restore decent standards back in time. Look at our world now. So many people just do not care.
I'm sure Bill Cosby was proud about not swearing, too.
Yet look at what was apparently lurking behind that virtue.
Not swearing isn't a huge challenge. There are other virtues
that are far more impressive. Let's focus on those, shall we?

-

Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
@Lilly54, I couldn't agree with you more. Finally someone who feels the same way I do!

First off, swearing does not come naturally to me at all. I never even consider it no matter how angry I get.

I'll spare you all the long details, but my story involves spending over three years in a school where nearly all the kids thought swearing and inappropriate talk were the greatest things in existence. Later on even the teachers got into it. That got so annoying and I knew it was wrong, so I did not like it at all. Well, going through all that caused me to really despise those things, and I still do today.

Language matters. It can really affect someone. The constant swearing in my school caused me to have more social anxiety, lose some of my trust in people, and become more sensitive. I get angry or upset whenever I notice someone swear, so sometimes it can be hard for me to want to talk with or be around people that I know use swear words. I'm getting a little better, though. That's also one reason why I never watch adult shows or read adult books or spend much time on sites where swearing is allowed. It's a big deal for me, but many people don't care if anyone is offended...

What's even worse is that hardly anyone ever understands me. They always want me to "deal with it". I can't, it's hurt me too much. On another site (where swearing wasn't allowed at the time) whenever I tried to discuss this there everybody would just argue with me and act like I was weird because I didn't like something that's wrong. I'm allowed to have an opinion, aren't I? And now people there seem to want to try swearing anyway, and nothing ever seems to be done about it. So of course, that was one reason why I left. Why can't people control what they say (or type)? I will never understand it.

And then there's using the Lord's name in vain. I agree with you that that's very wrong and not something I like to hear. It's breaking a commandment! On another site people would act like if you believe in and worship God, then you use His name in vain. Where in the world did they get that idea?! It's not worship at all, it's disrespectful!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hey Multifavs
I am totally with you. I too get deeply uncomfortable with anyone who swears. I cannot bear it. It scares me. I refuse to watch films or tv programmes with any swearing. Why should i? Why do so many people think it is normal and acceptable? It's not.

Upvote 0

DreadCthulhu

Feb 2, 2018
Nova Scotia
✟3,186.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Did the swearing child in the clip sing about how Britain shouldn't leave the EU? If he did, then chalk it up to John Oliver's genius.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
While I think that swearing under certain conditions is
fine, one thing I will do is, if I find a humorous quote that
I want to share, I'll delete or blank-out the curse words if
there are any, so that it's presentable for mixed company.

For example, I follow a couple of Facebook pages where it
seems like every other meme has a swear word in it.
When I get the impression that those words are being
thrown in there just to show the world "hey I cuss and I
don't care", then I find it tiresome and just a tad juvenile*.

So what I do is I take the meme, the origins of which is
usually unknown by the time it gets to me, and give it a
do-over where the humor remains intact while the
toddler-blurting-newly-discovered-bad-word element is
removed, and then send it back out into the world as
an alternative for those who might prefer not so much
cursing in their humor.

It's my calling. ◠‿◠

*(Foul language isn't a cutting-edge concept, after all, so
there's really nothing "cool" about it anymore. It's
actually quite old-fashioned, to be frank. That's why I
normally only use it therapeutically, such as when
sustaining a painful injury of some kind. And then it's
usually through clenched teeth so anyone hearing me
wouldn't even know what I was saying.)
-

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,231.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hey Multifavs
I am totally with you. I too get deeply uncomfortable with anyone who swears. I cannot bear it. It scares me. I refuse to watch films or tv programmes with any swearing. Why should i? Why do so many people think it is normal and acceptable? It's not.

It’s acceptable and normal where I live. Your mileage may vary...

Upvote 0