Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I need to let off steam. I wanted to put this subject on my own facebook page and i ought not. I am just too angry.

What is it with the F Word? It is everywhere. In films, comedians use it, Facebook postings. I even saw a clip of a child singing a song filled with swearing. I am utterly fed up of it.

Analyse it. What does it mean? Why say it? Is people's mentality and vocabulary so limited they cannot use other words?

While we are about it why is the name of Jesus Christ our precious beautiful Lord dragged through the dirt constantly?

I cannot bear it. Swearing demeans everyone and shows the speaker up immediately in my view as a fool. Soon as they swear they lose all respect from me.

Went to see a film '3 Billboards' and oh the unnecessary language. I hated it. Yet it could have been so good. Women swearing is especially appalling. Been to see Billy Elliot the musical, children swore even in songs.

I do not swear. My friends and the circles i move in do not use bad language. People may laugh but let them. I don't care. I have standards and i will upkeep them. We are judged by the company we keep and the words we use. Words are power and should be used for good, respectfully and wisely.

If i put all the above on my facebook page i would be looked upon no doubt as a ranting nutter. Old fashioned. But am i? Surely someone has to stand up and say no! Enough now. Not follow like stupid sheep. A comedian comes on tv, F words, audience laughs hysterically. Why? Do any of them stop and think?

I feel better now. What do you think?

By the way i do not believe anyone can be a true follower of Jesus Christ and use foul language. The two are not compatible or possible. That's my view.

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
IMO the trendsetters set the trends, and people follow, its like fashion exploiting herd instinct, if you don't you're a "loser" and marginalised from society. Moan.

Plus people are revelling in their new found freedom online, free from traditional censors etc. and the grey banality of the mainstream corporate image.

Reactions: Grace2022
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Swearing is just "Cool to do" now. Its gotten worse in the last 2-3 decades. Yes, it existed before but today it seems like everyone swears casually as if its just another word(s). I forgot what movie I seen a few years ago, it was rated R and the swear counter I seen online (wanted to check it out) said they swore 130+ times. And thats just the basic swear. Not counting taking Gods name in vain, sexual jokes...etc.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,549.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I need to let off steam. I wanted to put this subject on my own facebook page and i ought not. I am just too angry.

What is it with the F Word? It is everywhere. In films, comedians use it, Facebook postings. I even saw a clip of a child singing a song filled with swearing. I am utterly fed up of it.

Analyse it. What does it mean? Why say it? Is people's mentality and vocabulary so limited they cannot use other words?

While we are about it why is the name of Jesus Christ our precious beautiful Lord dragged through the dirt constantly?

I cannot bear it. Swearing demeans everyone and shows the speaker up immediately in my view as a fool. Soon as they swear they lose all respect from me.

Went to see a film '3 Billboards' and oh the unnecessary language. I hated it. Yet it could have been so good. Women swearing is especially appalling. Been to see Billy Elliot the musical, children swore even in songs.

I do not swear. My friends and the circles i move in do not use bad language. People may laugh but let them. I don't care. I have standards and i will upkeep them. We are judged by the company we keep and the words we use. Words are power and should be used for good, respectfully and wisely.

If i put all the above on my facebook page i would be looked upon no doubt as a ranting nutter. Old fashioned. But am i? Surely someone has to stand up and say no! Enough now. Not follow like stupid sheep. A comedian comes on tv, F words, audience laughs hysterically. Why? Do any of them stop and think?

By the way i do not believe anyone can be a true follower of Jesus Christ and use foul language. The two are not compatible or possible. That's my view.
It’s just an evolution of language. There have always been expletives and as communication becomes more easy people will be exposed to what was always there but was not experienced.

I was just in a management training meeting and one of the fellow delegates who I barely know light heartedly told me to F off.

No one was offended.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure culture and one's place within it, location, time, and more all play a factor.

But ... I was raised in a time and place when swearing was not something that was done frequently. It was considered disrespectful to swear in the presence of a lady. And by that I don't mean a high-born noblewoman - a level of respect was accorded to all women in this. Just as men deserved a certain level of respect. (Sadly, I admit that the culture I grew up in had some separate issues with race - I didn't fit in on that count because I failed to internalize the common prejudices of those around me, but that's another topic - just trying to be complete for the sake of truth.) But people should be accorded a degree if dignity and respect.

Part of me still reacts a bit when I hear cursing in public. When I look a bit older than I do right now, perhaps I'll remind people that they could rise up to higher sensibilities. Perhaps not. But it still feels like disrespect when a person does this, and I miss the days when women and men alike would stand up against it.

To me, one of the worst outcomes are those comedians who come out on stage, utter a single swear-word (usually the F-word) and the audience erupts in laughter as if they've just said something terribly clever and hilarious. It is enough to make you wonder if they've lost their capacity for rational thought. Sure, anyone can curse. What makes it funny, and worth paying to hear someone say? A foul mouth does not make one a brilliant comedian, and I'm amazed at how often there is zero content, just curse words. I will leave or change the channel though, so if actually comedy follows I would miss it. I rather doubt much of it happens though. Apparently one doesn't have to work that hard to amuse some people.

And the newer thing that disappoints me greatly is the pleasure some take at children swearing or otherwise being pictured doing such things as drinking, smoking, etc. The murder of childhood innocence, and this is what some people delight in? Lord have mercy. A young man on FB sent me a friend request then such a photo he had posed of a baby. I wasn't rude, but I told him exactly what I thought and why it was so disappointing. He actually apologized and took it off his wall.

Culture changes. But it seems like overall we are pleased to sink to the depths and smear ourselves and each other with dung, and find it amusing. I don't understand it. But it is reflected in MANY facets of culture. Language I think is only a symptom.

Not all ... there are still noble and good things out there. But they aren't getting much attention, and as a result, I wonder how things will go. I keep hoping that the good in folks will get fed up with eating the garbage and desire better things for themselves and their children.

• Winner
Reactions: Tony Ramirez
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree, it was always too much, but today it's way out of hand. I guess we are to see it as the norm before long, if it's not there already.

Here's a parody I always found funny, and needless to say, warning, strong language. I won't post a direct link but it can be searched on youtube:

"The F Word - Tutorial and Meaning"

Upvote 0

Cat Loaf You

Dec 11, 2017
Warsaw
✟22,505.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Yea the F word is everywhere because this world is so far ruled by Satan , God says don't fornicate so Satan will do always opposite and say fornicate , when you tell somebody do go "f yourself " when you are angry it does not make sense at all , like why would you wish somebody who you hate to go have pleasure ? It does not make sense unless you look at it from Bible perspective then it's pretty clear why most people say that .

Also saying F word does not damn you to hell , after you accept Christ you are guaranteed to be in heaven even if you go and murder somebody , yea you will lose your rewards but you yourself are saved .

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
after you accept Christ you are guaranteed to be in heaven even if you go and murder somebody , yea you will lose your rewards but you yourself are saved .

So wrong!

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Well you are Catholic so it must be wrong for you , if you read bible you would know it is not .

Ok, so i accept Christ and then go murder 50 people.

I csn see St Peter saying, its ok, you accept Jesus so dont worry about all those people you murdered! In fact, why didnt you murder more!

• Agree
Reactions: Rebecca12
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cat Loaf You

Dec 11, 2017
Warsaw
✟22,505.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ok, so i accept Christ and then go murder 50 people.

I csn see St Peter saying, its ok, you accept Jesus so dont worry about all those people you murdered! In fact, why didnt you murder more!

So let's say Doctor give patient too much drugs and patient never wake up after operation , the doctor is now a murderer by your logic he can never make it to heaven i see .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
So let's say Doctor give patient too much drugs and patient never wake up after operation , the doctor is now a murderer by your logic he can never make it to heaven i see .

Lol. You are very much mixed up in once saved always saved. You do not understand what you believe.

Anyway, that is for another thread.

Upvote 0

Cat Loaf You

Dec 11, 2017
Warsaw
✟22,505.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Lol. You are very much mixed up in once saved always saved. You do not understand what you believe.

Anyway, that is for another thread.

If it's for another thread then why do you start this conversation.

Also

Also if you ever hated somebody even for a while then you murder him in your hearth , according to your logic you are now murderer and you can't go to heaven so have fun burning i guess :)

Matthew 5

Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

So according to your logic you are murderer damned to hell .

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,029.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
What is it with the F Word? It is everywhere.

It's an extremely versatile word. Think of it like salt, it can be put on almost anything, and whether you think it helps or hurts the dish is based on whether you like salt or not. It's simply a personal preference.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,549.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
That’s not murder.

Murder requires intent.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,549.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It's an extremely versatile word. Think of it like salt, it can be put on almost anything, and whether you think it helps or hurts the dish is based on whether you like salt or not. It's simply a personal preference.
I agree.

It adds significant nuance to our language.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

They even use it in countries that don't speak English.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟372,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm no prude, but excessive, gratuitous vulgar language is offensive to me. My wife loved that "Trainwreck" movie. I was just tired out after watching it. Seemed like about half the lines of dialogue contained the F-bomb.

Although, there is experimental evidence that swear words may provide pain relief. Letting fly with a few 4 letter words of Anglo-Saxon origin has an analgesic effect when you smash your thumb with a hammer. It may also improve strength and endurance. Though these positive effects diminish when such explitives are overused.

Swearing Can Boost Strength and Reduce the Sensation of Pain

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Life's too short to be obsessed with a sequence of phonemes.

Being a liberal closer to the conservative side than most, I have noticed that most liberals say this, but completely change their tune when the subject is the n-word.

Upvote 0