The evils of two party politics and the debt ceiling.

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
People ask me why I hate most politicians, when I find stuff like what's posted below I have to ask... why don't you? You are being played like a fiddle and most of you only care about the party of the people tuning your strings.

Obama: Not Always a Fan of Upping Debt Ceiling - By Katrina Trinko - The Corner - National Review Online

What did the fearless leader have to say about his "no" vote in 2006 to raise the debt ceiling?

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. … Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that ‘the buck stops here. Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.

Yes we do Mr. President and neither party has leaders.

When later votes came up to raise the debt ceiling how did the president vote?

In 2007 and in 2008, when the Senate voted to increase the limit by $850 billion and $800 billion respectively, Obama did not bother to vote. (He did vote for TARP, which increased the debt limit by $700 billion.)

Must have been a golf day.

So how did our stalwart champions of small government vote? I mean it must have been all democrats voting to raise the debt ceiling under bush right?

I can only hope you don't believe that.

TaxVox » Blog Archive » Handicapping the Debt Ceiling Debate

Senate-Debt-Limit-Votes-1001-1024x696.jpg

That's right, they voted to raise it every time.

Well... every time there was a republican in office, and democrats voted against it.

And people wonder why my signature is the way it is...

‪3 Reasons Why The Debt-Ceiling Debate is Full of Malarkey‬‏ - YouTube

Oh and here's what I found pretty funny... the above charts I found linked in this article:

PolitiFact | Bachmann said Obama voted against the debt limit when he was a senator

Michelle Bachmann who loves our freedoms and our constitution so much she still votes to extend the patriot act, just like her friends on the other side of the aisle who campaigned against it when republicans were in power.

I have a feeling this post will get little response, if it gets any I'll be very surprised, most of the posters in this forum only care about what politicians are doing when they can use it as a stick to bash members of the other party. Pointing out that both parties are playing politics with this issue doesn't play very well.

If anybody gets anything out of this I hope it's to stop concerning yourself with the little "R" or "D" at the end of the politicians name and pay attention to what they are actually doing.

Stop getting played.

EDIT: Wow ok, that graph is a heck of a lot bigger than it was in the article I nabbed it from...

Reactions: craigerNY

craigerNY

I bring nothing to the table
Feb 28, 2007
Upstate NY
✟48,788.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
These threads fade away ignored and largely void of replies, once in a blue moon they will reach two maybe three pages but that seems to be an exception.

The way these threads are treated is a reflection of current political sentiments which is sad really.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
These threads fade away ignored and largely void of replies, once in a blue moon they will reach two maybe three pages but that seems to be an exception.

The way these threads are treated is a reflection of current political sentiments which is sad really.

I know, it's kind of depressing.

It's it's not "Go my team!" and "Boo your team!" nobody cares.

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
2003 sounds about the first time that party politics started becoming a major thing, moreso than usual anyway.

Just the way that chart turns though is just plain creepy.

I give this much. Who is more responsible right now? It kind of depends on what the category is. If it's on overall spending, Republicans are more responsible. If it's on how to target spending and long-term economical outlooks, the Democrats are. But that's like saying I'd rather have a supervolcano erupt then for the sun to go out on me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anovah

Jun 6, 2004
Oregon
✟14,597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
While I find it refreshing that a President is willing to admit to having played politics, I hate that the admission only comes at a time when it's politically advantageous to do so.

(edit to add: It's like, even admiting to playing politics is itself playing politics)

*sigh* politics

Upvote 0