• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured The Evils of Cessationalism

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by rockytopva, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Alithis

Alithis Disciple of Jesus .

+2,127
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    It totaly describes mainline churches..the ones always saying " oh well your just a sinner saved... If ya still just a sinner living in sin ..thats not yet saved. That is decieved.

2. rockytopva

rockytopva Love to pray! :) Supporter

+6,100
    Pentecostal
    Single
    I put together a video of youth camp in spirit of Pentecostal Holiness church....

3. Alithis

+2,127
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    It didnt happen yet ...because each generation is filled with new people and each of them is to be furnished unto good works ..
    The gifts have not ceased just as the same holy spirit the holy Spirit has not ceased just as the work of sanctification in each person for each generation has not ceased..
    Are YOU furnished perfectly to every good work ...?
    Do you go and do the works Jesus did and more...?
    If you are so complete and perfect and furnished by just" having the bible"
    Then why are you not DOING those good works jesus said to do.. ?

4. Hammster

Hammster Private Status. Do Not Read. Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+15,717
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    And you are doing it again. Where does this passage discuss cessationism? Or gifts?

5. Hammster

+15,717
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    It’s not personal. You just haven’t correctly used scripture to make your point.

6. Hammster

+15,717
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I’m still asking. But not to set you up. If you have clear scriptural evidence, I’d like to see it.

7. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,860
    Christian
    Private
    Lol, you didnt answer the question again, so your assertion that cessationist are materialistic is still unproven.

8. Hammster

+15,717
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    What does any of that have to do with the OP?

9. Alithis

+2,127
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    I Do know of someone doinf this.. JESUS
    By his body.. Its not about individuals..
    Ya need to stop fighting against belief and faith and go and believe and practice faith..

10. Calminian

Calminian Senior Veteran

+983
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    So you want me to stop believing in modern miracles, as I stated I did in my post? Confused. Are you sure you read my post? What do you believe I'm fighting?

Like I said, cessationists are very misunderstood by charismatics. So many straw men floating around, it's difficult to explain and converse. Generally, they conflate general modern miracles with sign gifts. Two very different issues. But if we can get through that hurdle, a good conversation might follow. At very minimum you'll learn what cessationists believe.

11. Alithis

+2,127
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Yup cessationism is based upon unbelief and is not speaking or teaching from the Holy Spirit .and its arguments are based upon a coouple of misconstrued misrepresented and manipulated verses and full of inuendo and ambiguity..
    Cessationism is a world of mirky dishonesty
    And teachings of devils..

The lord warned me that any preacher or teacher , no matter how great some of thier Other matarial may sound,..if they preach or teach in opposition of the attributes of the Holy Spirit of God in any form they Are not preaching or teaching from the Holy Spirit.but from the Carnal mind. And are not to be listened to followed or given the time of day.they judge the things of God based upon the often wrongful actions of men ..an unjust and unrighteous judgment.

12. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,409
    Anglican
    Married
    It was Good Friday, wasn't it? The most solemn day of the church year?

And you think that an improvement would be some arm waving, falling out in the aisles, and shouting for joy because, hey, Christ is tortured and then crucified for our sins!?

:yellowcard:

13. Calminian

Calminian Senior Veteran

+983
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Wow. I guess it's like that. Thought I made some fair points worth of discussion, like miracles vs. gifts. I named no cessation verses, actually, yet you've accused me of doing so. Very strange. I believe God could gift a man with sign gifts at any time, and there's no verse to prevent it. I just have never seen anyone from this era claim a gift worthy of the Pentecost era.

I'm willing to discuss the arguments I made, if you're willing. At this point it appears you're not willing. Let me know if you change your mind.

14. Alithis

+2,127
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    What your willing to do is set up a text that says..if You havnt seen it..it isnt so.
    Thats not faith its sight.
    And if it helps ,i dont adhere to the modern charasmatic movement around what they call the gifts and seeking the presence etc .
    And you may have to allow that at times i may be replying to the general cessationist mindset and not you specifically.

15. Calminian

Calminian Senior Veteran

+983
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    That makes sense. You were quoting me. Just not reading the actual quotes and making coherent responses to the arguments.

But again, I don't think you're responding to cessationists, you're responding to things you've heard about cessationists. None of us will learning anything that way. We have to listen to one another.

16. Alithis

+2,127
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    no, we dont lol.
    Scripture warns us not to.
    Just Go , heal the sick , preach the gospel, drive out devils ,baptise in JESUS name and make more disciples teaching them to observe all jesus commanded... Which includes Go , heal the sick , preach the gospel.... Etc.
    We need the same Holy Spirit today to do the same obedient labour of love today .
    We need the same tools ,the same attributes .The first 12 and 70 and 120 and 3000 are not here today in this generation.
    But the same will of God to save the lost is here and niether his love nor his power have ceased .

17. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,066
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    All believers have the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. But in the first century only few ever spoke in tongues. Paul said they were incomplete in themselves but when the complete came, they would cease. The complete is Scripture that thoroughly furnishes in ways the gifts never could.

“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” (2 Timothy 3:16–17)

18. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,066
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Mainline churches do not do these things Jesus describes.

19. Tutorman

Tutorman Charismatic Episcopalian

+1,326
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Exactly, to have arms waving, falling in the aisles, and shouting for joy would be extremely disrespectful on Good Friday. There is a time and place for everything and Good Friday is not the time for hooping and hollering. It just goes to show that some people who claim Christianity have no respect

20. Calminian

Calminian Senior Veteran

+983
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Scripture wants us, not to listen to one another? This is definitely getting interesting.

You admitted you didn't read my posts (even though you quoted them) and responded to different posts making irrelevant points. Now you say, Scripture is telling you to do this. Wow. You guys really are throwing logic to the wind.

How do you correct someone using Scripture, if you don't listen to them? How do you even find out if they are in error or what their error is?

I guess this is the new modern method of apologetics.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019