• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured The Evils of Cessationalism

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by rockytopva, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Alithis

Alithis Disciple of Jesus .

+2,127
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Hi.. Signs like... ? People being healed..
    Devils being cast out?
    I note in the bible these things were not hidden inside buildings on sundays..

This video Testimony is strong
    Only under 9 minutes people..hang in thier untill the 2nd 4 minutes..well worth it.

2. Alithis

+2,127
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Ok

3. Alithis

+2,127
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    1 for each of us ... ;)

4. Alithis

+2,127
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Many are called few are chosen...
    The chosen are only those who answer the call. They get to fill elected spots :)
    Whats this got to do with cessationism....

5. Calminian

Calminian Senior Veteran

+983
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Yes, like real healings. Withered hands being stretched out before people's eyes. People being raised from the dead. People speaking in other real languages they never knew before, enabling them to share the gospel with people who speak those languages.

You know, stuff that's obvious, and above the illusions of a Vegas magic show. Those are the things the people at Pentecost saw daily. Those seem to be missing today, traded in for slayings in the spirit, gibberish tongues.

6. Alithis

+2,127
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Though one rise from the dead...they will not believe
    I often wonder why people think one healing is less then another..
    If youve ever been suffering in sickness
    Or tormented by devils in anxities and depressions and suddenly been freed and healed.. You would Know one is not greater then another.each is relative to the individuals situation.

7. Hammster

Hammster Private Status. Do Not Read. Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+15,685
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    No, you are denying that God chooses who He pleases, like He chose Israel. I have a passage in Ezekiel ( apparently) that proves that denying this is evil.

8. Alithis

+2,127
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Not sure where you get that from.
    He chose them but not all israel aligned thenselves to him to obey him and benifit from that election..
    Just so with salvation :)

9. Hammster

+15,685
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Like I said, you are just denying.

10. Contenders Edge

Contenders Edge Active Member Supporter

+89
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others

I fear the above passages are not related to the topic of cessationalism, which teaches that the gifts of the Spirit ceased either with the passing of the Apostles or upon the complete canonization of all the scriptures. They simply address how there are people who do not think God sees all that they do.

The passage that the cessationists have twisted to their ends that does relate to the topic of your thread is 1 Corinthians 13:8-10.

11. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,860
    Christian
    Private
    I thought they believed some gifts have ceased.

Huh? Could you elaborate please?

12. Calminian

Calminian Senior Veteran

+983
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    You're trying to change the subject. I'm merely saying that most charismatics admit these don't happen anymore. They are closet cessationist. They no longer believe in type of signs that are not duplicatable by magicians. They no longer believe in the type of tongues that are truly miraculous, and can't be faked.

Funny, only the gifts that can be faked, and not verified are practiced today. The rest, according to charismatic churches, have ceased. Why is that?

Can you name one miracle you've seen that is similar to those that happened at Pentecost?

13. Hammster

+15,685
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I think it’s really telling that so many today focus more on gifts than they do on fruit.

14. Contenders Edge

Contenders Edge Active Member Supporter

+89
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others

Some or all, either way, scripture does not teach that they would ever cease in this present age. As to what you asked me to elaborate on, I was referring to passages from the book of Ezekiel cited in the starting post of this thread which deal with a matter not related to the stated subject of cessationism.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,860
    Christian
    Private
    Thank you, im not sure why that wasnt clear to me before but it is now.

16. Alithis

+2,127
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Im lost as to what it is im denying lol
    The topic is about the evils of cessationism..
    And the scripture the op used displays how people had taken on the attitude that God no longer operated as he did in times past...that he had Ceased to do so.

Are you cessationist?

17. Alithis

+2,127
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    I agree.. The gifts after all are given For the work...
    But people treat them like fancy tools hanging in thier fancy workshop where nothing is ever produced.

18. Alithis

+2,127
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    You mean like one of the diverse" Kinds" of tongues where the speaker suddenly spoke in another persons language which they had never learned.. ?
    Yes .. But you've predetermined a stance of unbelief ..yes?
    Healings of tumors vanished... ..? Yes
    I really dont adhere to sunday club attendees who live in the realms of theological theory with out practicing any of it and think the annointing is some mystical emotion that gives you fuzzy goose bumps gold dust and feathers living according to carnal feelings etc ..
    The just will live by faith.
    Because they believe ,they take action and go out obediently to Do Gods word. Thats true faith..it is the action one takes based upon what they truly believe.

Forsaking Sin and avoiding even the appearance of sin they Go out and obey JESUS..
    Those who dont wonder why they never see the power of God to heal and transform a life set free from the lies of Sin.
    They are just decieved Jesus said.
    Being hearers but not Doers of the word.

19. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,051
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Why would Paul say they will cease, if they will cease anyway with everything else at the end of the world?

20. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,051
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    You need to study history on this matter. News papers of the day that reported on Azusa st. and the goings on there. The fruit of the early years is a dead giveaway.