The Eucharist, the Lord's supper, does it do something with us?

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟885,445.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have heard people say, taking the Eucharist/the Lord's supper is giving us forgiveness and sanctifying us. I have been a Christian for ten years, and never experienced anything supernatural from taking the Lord's supper. So, how are we to understand this?

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Well, Christ tells us it is His own body broken for us, and it is His blood of the new covenant poured out for us, for the forgiveness of sins.

Since it is Christ's body which was broken, and His own blood which He shed for our forgiveness, then the answer is yes. The Eucharist does do something to us.

Here is what St. Paul says in 1 Corinthians 10,

"The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ? Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread. Consider the people of Israel: are not those who eat the sacrifices participants in the altar?" - 1 Corinthians 10:16-18

In the Eucharist there is the mystery of our unity as Christ's Body, even as we receive Christ's Body we are made together His Body. Likewise, Paul points to the ancient mystery of the old sacrifices, those who ate the sacrifice partook of the altar; our partaking of Christ in the Eucharist is a partaking in His sacrifice. The reality of His sacrifice is present here in the Eucharist, and it is for us.

This is why the ancient pastor of Antioch and student of the apostles, St. Ignatius, calls it the "medicine of immortality". Because we are fed with Christ Himself in the Supper.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I have heard people say, taking the Eucharist/the Lord's supper is giving us forgiveness and sanctifying us. I have been a Christian for ten years, and never experienced anything supernatural from taking the Lord's supper. So, how are we to understand this?
The Lord's Supper is the fellowship of the body of Christ in the communion of The Spirit.
2 Corinthians 13:14. The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and
the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all. Amen.
The manifestation of the gifts of the Spirit is a supernatural element of fellowship.
As to forgiveness and sanctification, it is found in this fellowship.

1 John 1:
If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.
7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,929.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

1 Cor 11:

...the Lord Jesus in the night in which He was betrayed took bread; 24 and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” 25 In the same way He took the cup also after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.” 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes.

27 Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner, shall be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord. 28 But a man must examine himself, and in so doing he is to eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For he who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself if he does not judge the body rightly. 30 For this reason many among you are weak and sick, and a number sleep. 31 But if we judged ourselves rightly, we would not be judged.

This is a serious matter to partake of Christs body and blood by faith.

It is no surprise that approaching such critical participation in a wrong attitude can result in sickness, even death.

Frankly, I find the participation in this special meal, substantially refreshing and strengthening.

Jesus chooses to meet us deeply at this sacred time.

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟885,445.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Lord's Supper is the fellowship of the body of Christ in the communion of The Spirit.
2 Corinthians 13:14. The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and
the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all. Amen.
The manifestation of the gifts of the Spirit is a supernatural element of fellowship.
As to forgiveness and sanctification, it is found in this fellowship.

1 John 1:
If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.
7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

2 Corinth 13:14, is Paul really taking about the Lord's supper here? Sounds to me Paul is talking about all Christans are connected through the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see the Lords Supper as by partaking in it you are doing it as Jesus Himself said "in remembrance" of Him.
This to me means thinking with my whole heart upon what He did for us, and identifying with Him as Christians.

Nothing mystical

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟885,445.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Cor 11:

...the Lord Jesus in the night in which He was betrayed took bread; 24 and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” 25 In the same way He took the cup also after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.” 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes.

27 Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner, shall be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord. 28 But a man must examine himself, and in so doing he is to eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For he who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself if he does not judge the body rightly. 30 For this reason many among you are weak and sick, and a number sleep. 31 But if we judged ourselves rightly, we would not be judged.

This is a serious matter to partake of Christs body and blood by faith.

It is no surprise that approaching such critical participation in a wrong attitude can result in sickness, even death.

Frankly, I find the participation in this special meal, substantially refreshing and strengthening.

Jesus chooses to meet us deeply at this sacred time.

I know the verses you quoted from 1 Corinth 11. There seems to be something supernatural going on, I just haven't experienced it. Of course I can have all kinds of emotions, like thankfulness for his sacrfice and so on.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,929.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know the verses you quoted from 1 Corinth 11. There seems to be something supernatural going on, I just haven't experienced it. Of course I can have all kinds of emotions, like thankfulness for his sacrfice and so on.

Well, He meets us in ways beyond our understanding and experience.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you accept a Sacramental Theology then the Eucharist is sanctifying. Absolution for sin would be another Sacrament.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟579,146.00
Faith
Christian
We can't know if it imparts health to the believer to have life straight away rather than in the world to come as it may be used for having perfect unity with God now. But I have thought jesus could seem to be saying you have to have relationship with Him. Know why He came. And benefiting from His sacrifice by having relationship with Him so you can repent. His death is the one which allows you to have the Holy Spirit which enlightens one about what is sin so one may feel sorry about it and correct his ways. The holy spirit does not condemn those who do not know but those who refuse to believe His word and what is shown to you as fact because there are different interpretations of His word that are not clear but He leads all to repent of what they can know His word teaches. And He taught to love others so you have to in some way. Paul said let there be no divisions so all should agree on what is essentials. People have to rightly believe the word of God to be sure of salvation but there could just be some essentials you have to believe in. Even if Jesus died Jesus says you have to come to Him to have life. He said come to me all you who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest. He himself accepts all to come to Him. You go to others as maybe helpers just as helpers to help you along the path if you are not following it. Even though He died as a sacrifice if you are not acknowledging Jesus as the messiah who came to die for the world to have opportunity to be saved you are not partaking of that sacrifice and you can’t have life

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It sounds as though you anticipated that a spiritual or supernatural event, if important, would also feel powerful, perhaps something coursing through your body or making you feel flushed, or even to produce something along the lines of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit that Pentecostal Christians speak of.

Whether or not certain experiences do that, it's not necessary for a spiritual change to create a physical and/or emotional effect.

In the case of the sacraments (which is what you are referring to), God's blessings, grace, and forgiveness are powerful...and supernatural...but not tangible. Some people are "moved" by the thought of what's happening in Baptism or Holy Communion, but that isn't a gauge of whether the experience is genuine or not.

No, we don't necessarily "get a charge" out of them, nor is there anything in Scripture that suggests we ought to experience that sort of thing, but that doesn't make them any less real.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
2 Corinth 13:14, is Paul really taking about the Lord's supper here? Sounds to me Paul is talking about all Christans are connected through the Holy Spirit.
The Lord's Supper is the foundation of relationship within the body of Christ. It is not simply an
expression of your personal experience of Jesus. People talk of receiving life from the Eucharist.
That life is in the wholeness of the body, of which you are a part. All of Paul's teachings in letters
to churches pertain to this experience. The 'you' in his letters are always plural. Start here:

Acts 2:
And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking
of bread
, and in prayers.
43 Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles.
44 Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common,
45 and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.
46 So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house,
they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart,
47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those
who were being saved.

Consider the passage which Carl started us from 1 Corinthians 11, but back up to where Paul begins.
Conduct at the Lord’s Supper
17 Now in giving these instructions I do not praise you, since you come together not for the
better but for the worse.
18 For first of all, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among
you, and in part I believe it.
19 For there must also be factions among you, that those who are approved may be recognized
among you.

Now compare to this:
Ephesians 4:
1 I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you(all) to walk worthy of the calling with which
you(all) were called,
2 with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love,
3 endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling;
5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism;
6 one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Please understand that I did not just cut and paste from my hard drive something prepared
to win a debate. I am ministering teaching as the Spirit leads me. There is much more to be
expounded upon for this subject. Hopefully this is enough to make this statement, not just for
you, but anyone that feels they are not experiencing Christ. You must make a commitment
to a small group of dedicated, like-minded believers and experience Christ together, as the Lord
intended. The Life of Christ is in the small group fellowship, where the gifts can manifest, and
the Holy Spirit can minister to all, through all.
Grace and Peace of Christ,
James

Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...So, how are we to understand this?

I think the purpose of Eucharist was that it is the sign ("signature") of the covenant that was done through Jesus.

Then he took a loaf of bread, gave thanks, broke it in pieces, and handed it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Keep on doing this in memory of me.” He did the same with the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, poured out for you.
Luke 22:19-20

The older covenant that was done through Moses had different blood and body. This new one had bread and wine as the blood and wine. So, if you participate in that, you also participate to the new covenant that was set through Jesus. And Jesus said, we do it in memory of him. I think it would be better not to add extra meanings to it.

Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,426.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God/Christ established this memorial to help me. As an example: I can intellectually understand: that my sins have been washed away and my heart is made pure, holy righteous and I can stand before God who looks at my heart justified. BUT drink the wine (representing Christs blood) I actually feel cleaning blood going down my throat over my heart and feel a physically cleansing that corresponds to the spiritual cleansing I have intellectually been told is happens. It really helps me.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That sounds to me a lot like the time-honored tradition of taking what the Scripture plainly says and "interpreting" it to mean something more compatible with our own beliefs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I see the Lords Supper as by partaking in it you are doing it as Jesus Himself said "in remembrance" of Him.
This to me means thinking with my whole heart upon what He did for us, and identifying with Him as Christians .Nothing mystical
You have to snip out quite a lot of what both our Lord said and St. Paul reaffirmed to leave only the "just a remembrance" notion, IMO. "Just a rememberance", yet it can cause one to eat and drink damnation if done improperly. Hmmmmm....

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟579,146.00
Faith
Christian
Because if you are not living a righteous life you need to know you need to repent and that is a reminder and if you come to dishonour the Lord by pretending to be followers of the Lord and rightly representing Him you are guilty of the body of the Lord and can be chastened and sometimes damned if you are a false believer and not repentant. But I suppose it could also be a means of communion for thanksgiving or to unite one perfectly in this world but otherwise you can in the world to come

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟579,146.00
Faith
Christian
I think communion is maybe a means of partaking more fully in what Christ did so you can be united with God more fully to be perfected so you can be saved upon death. But others can still follow God and bear fruit and cease from sin but not to be united to God to be fully alive to have life but not full life to be saved on death. Paul says we being many are one body for we all partake of that one bread.So it may be a means of sanctification. Jesus said I also pray for those who will believe in me through their word not all partake to be part of Christ body on earth others are still part of His body but not the part of His body that is united now that is saved now to be incorporated in Christ now they are separated from the rest of the body when not fully partaking of the will of Christ for His church to partake in communion as a witness it is given for the life of the world to witness to others to believe and draw people more fully in His body. It is not only those who are united to Christ now fully who are His body but they can be united fully later to be part of His body. But they are one body because of unity completely in Christ now.
Just as Israel did not all partake of the meat sacrifices but only certain people or the priests but others who were preached to if they believed in God even if they were not circumcised they were saved like the ninevites. It could be Paul means symbolically we all show we are part of the body of Christ by choosing to partake of the body of Christ. But Jesus commanded it to be done in rememberance of Him till He comes. Jesus did say take eat this is My body so it could in some way be food indeed to heal one now though He could mean by His flesh is food indeed that during the communion time it is a time to show you are already communing with Christ and living from His sacrifice thus eating His flesh and drinking His blood to show that you are accepting Christ and living in Christ.

communion was a fellowship of believers from house to house it is just mentioned as breaking bread. It is likely Christ would be present with any 2 believers as Jesus said where 2 or 3 are gathered in My name I am in the midst of them

Acts 2:46-47
46 So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟579,146.00
Faith
Christian
I believe it could be they are one bread and one body because they all show they are communing with Christ and living in Him if they are taking the communion and He could be present during that time to unite them and so they feel He is among them and they recognise His presence as the disciples of Emmaus did it is a fellowship and it is a way to be united together if they partake of the cup but they are still part of the church if they do not but they are not making unity with others to be one body with them though they are still one body but not recognising it because they are united in the belief of Christ death and resurrection and being united in other means of fellowship.

I think though it is possible it could be a means of perfect sanctification not total which Christ can still sanctify without but I don’t know so you should have it incase and Christ commanded it to be done in rememberance

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The reception of any sacrament imparts Grace as well as reassuring us of God's forgiveness.

There's hardly any reason to turn ourselves inside out trying to further define such a great thing as this which is here for us.

:)

Upvote 0