Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
LightoftheEast is assuming that the Eucharist, if it is real, should potentially be causing communicants to "drop like flies" at the possibility of any unrepentant sin, and I just don't see that interpretation of the passage as being the only legitimate one. In fact, in terms of some theologies, this interpretation doesn't make sense. I think we've talked about this before on other discussions, specifically concerning justification and why certain religious communities have open communion.

I just mention this because I doubt it is one possibility that the average Catholic conservative is going to imagine, so of course LoE isn't going to get all the potential answers on the topic there.

well, in that case I would agree since whether or not something happens during Communion is God's work and not our own.

and I would also point out though, that it does not matter what other theologies say, at least not here.

but point well taken

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Since I do not believe sacraments exist outside the Church, I would not expect RC or any other sect to either be healed or detriment come upon them in their non efficacious rituals.
On the other hand if we are talking about Orthodox adherents, that's a different story. Most laity nowadays are nominal, if they even do communion it's only once or twice a year. So they already are restricted (of their own doing) from receiving. We also have prayers prior to Communion to spare us from any ailments that can come upon us for being negligent and ignorant. And thirdly I do believe many ailments suffered by Orthodox people is from receiving unworthily. Things that our great grandparents never suffered from. How many times I hear of greeks complain about joint pain from arthritis whereas their predecessors much older than them never suffered such problems. How many require to go to fertility clinics even though it's not hereditary. (Yes I have overheard older Greeks complaining why the newer generation all seem to have reproductive problems). I just recently came across a news video on FB, on how the old timers on the Greek island of Ikaria live to be over 100. (It may have even surpassed Okinawa). They still live the same way for centuries, still have festive feast days with folk dancing etc. I decided to comment by saying if thesee same investigative reporters looking into the diets and lifestyle of the Ikarians are just as curious as to why Ikarians living in the first world with first world healthcare and modetn luxuries are dying in their 70's

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Since I do not believe sacraments exist outside the Church, I would not expect RC or any other sect to either be healed or detriment come upon them in their non efficacious rituals.
On the other hand if we are talking about Orthodox adherents, that's a different story. Most laity nowadays are nominal, if they even do communion it's only once or twice a year. So they already are restricted (of their own doing) from receiving. We also have prayers prior to Communion to spare us from any ailments that can come upon us for being negligent and ignorant. And thirdly I do believe many ailments suffered by Orthodox people is from receiving unworthily. Things that our great grandparents never suffered from. How many times I hear of greeks complain about joint pain from arthritis whereas their predecessors much older than them never suffered such problems. How many require to go to fertility clinics even though it's not hereditary. (Yes I have overheard older Greeks complaining why the newer generation all seem to have reproductive problems). I just recently came across a news video on FB, on how the old timers on the Greek island of Ikaria live to be over 100. (It may have even surpassed Okinawa). They still live the same way for centuries, still have festive feast days with folk dancing etc. I decided to comment by saying if thesee same investigative reporters looking into the diets and lifestyle of the Ikarians are just as curious as to why Ikarians living in the first world with first world healthcare and modetn luxuries are dying in their 70's

Do you really think most laity are nominal? I must not know most laity, then, or else our parish is different. Most in our parish commune at least weekly, or almost that often.

But as you say ... there are people in our parish in their 80s and 90s who are active and healthy. These Greeks amaze me! I don't see a completely perfect correlation of piety with robust health, though. But they rarely even begin to slow down until at least late 60s or usually MUCH later (mid- 90s seems more typical). They tend to look 20 years younger, on average, than their real age, to me. Pretty bad when a woman 35 years older than I has much more stamina than I do, lol.

I have thought a little bit about these things though. I thought it was mostly diet, but the health and stamina of the elderly in our parish, in general, is amazing. And those just a bit younger than "elderly" tend to be as robust as any person in their prime.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The laity being nominal I mean the overall people who are adherents. For example look at the crowds for Palm Sunday, Good Friday evening and for the Anastasi Service. Where are they the rest of the year. Many never step foot in the church unless it's for a wedding or baptism or their funeral.

Upvote 0