Wisconsin
✟9,271.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've just read some rule that I didn't notice before that posting a personal website is spam--however it says for self-promotion or to get hits.
A few questions:
1: Is posting a personal website not okay, even if it is to discuss the topic of the web page or help someone find out more information about you?
2. Other websites with chats and BBS where people can post say it's okay to post one's web site as long as it it's only once a day and it it fits the topic. Why shouldn't that be okay here as long as it's not an advertisement to buy something? I mean people deserve to know what you think and sometimes a personal website does that.
3. Does the rule mean that a personal website can't even be in your signature?
I think it stiles our ability to express ourselves and to voice our opinion fully. What do you think?

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Aimee30 said:
I've just read some rule that I didn't notice before that posting a personal website is spam--however it says for self-promotion or to get hits.
A few questions:
1: Is posting a personal website not okay, even if it is to discuss the topic of the web page or help someone find out more information about you?
2. Other websites with chats and BBS where people can post say it's okay to post one's web site as long as it it's only once a day and it it fits the topic. Why shouldn't that be okay here as long as it's not an advertisement to buy something? I mean people deserve to know what you think and sometimes a personal website does that.
3. Does the rule mean that a personal website can't even be in your signature?
I think it stiles our ability to express ourselves and to voice our opinion fully. What do you think?

Well you can definitely post your personal website in your profile.. there's a place for it. Did you ask in cf support if you can't post your own personal site?

Personally I don't want to be referred to someone's personal site for more information about them. If they want to share something here they can just share it.. if I want to see if they have a website I can look in their profile and see if it's posted. :) People don't really "deserve" to know what I think... I'm sure sometimes they wish they didn't know or that I wouldn't share it :p I'm not going to go look at someone's site and then come back here and say "Well your site says this.. but here you say something different"
I'll take them however they present themselves here.

Upvote 0

Aimee30

That's Me in the Corner
Oct 8, 2004
Wisconsin
✟9,271.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Here's the rule I was referring to--I should have read it all--it answered my third question.

Forum Rule 3 :.
Rule No. 3 - No "Spamming"
3.1 You will not post any messages anywhere on this site that are primarily for the promotion or advertising of any website, email address, business, MLM (Multi Level Marketing or pyramid schemes), activity, church, ministry, prophetic services or any other entities or services that you have an affiliation with (ie. no self-promotion).
3.2 You will not request, beg or solicit donations or financial support (charitable or otherwise, for any reason) anywhere on the site including in e-mails, posts, and PMs.
3.3 You will not post any personal contact details anywhere in the forums or in the Chatbox. This includes email addresses, IM addresses, IP addresses, phone numbers, and home addresses.
3.4 You will not be able to post external links (defined as URLs to links off this site) until you have a post count of 15. In the Chatbox you may not post external links at all.
3.5 You will not have external links, website addresses, domain names or email addresses in your signature, avatar, or custom user title. You may post such links or addresses in your CF profile as long as they abide by the rest of the forum rules.
There was a thread discussing this and making mention "why were all the threads with personal websites deleted in one forum.
It's just that it rather seems unfair to not be able to use your own website withput risking trouble if it supports what you think or gives an idea why you asking a question. It's just that if rules are going to be strictly enforced without warning the person involved who may have never read or forgotten some of them, it makes me question my membership on Christian forums.

Upvote 0

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Aimee30 said:
Here's the rule I was referring to--I should have read it all--it answered my third question.

Forum Rule 3 :.
Rule No. 3 - No "Spamming"
3.1 You will not post any messages anywhere on this site that are primarily for the promotion or advertising of any website, email address, business, MLM (Multi Level Marketing or pyramid schemes), activity, church, ministry, prophetic services or any other entities or services that you have an affiliation with (ie. no self-promotion).
3.2 You will not request, beg or solicit donations or financial support (charitable or otherwise, for any reason) anywhere on the site including in e-mails, posts, and PMs.
3.3 You will not post any personal contact details anywhere in the forums or in the Chatbox. This includes email addresses, IM addresses, IP addresses, phone numbers, and home addresses.
3.4 You will not be able to post external links (defined as URLs to links off this site) until you have a post count of 15. In the Chatbox you may not post external links at all.
3.5 You will not have external links, website addresses, domain names or email addresses in your signature, avatar, or custom user title. You may post such links or addresses in your CF profile as long as they abide by the rest of the forum rules.
There was a thread discussing this and making mention "why were all the threads with personal websites deleted in one forum.
It's just that it rather seems unfair to not be able to use your own website withput risking trouble if it supports what you think or gives an idea why you asking a question. It's just that if rules are going to be strictly enforced without warning the person involved who may have never read or forgotten some of them, it makes me question my membership on Christian forums.

No rules on this site are strictly enforced, it's all at mods discretition. THe longer you're here, the more you'll learn who is in control of each forum, and their practices, as well as how to work within them. Even the times when they do enforce them, they don't ban people. You get a warning. The new crop of mods are quite nice... usually, and I think they'll go out of their way to explain if you've done something wrong, without... like... punishing you. People make mistakes all the time, and other people know that.

ETA: It's sort of easy to figure out if someone is spamming. If someone has made four posts and each has had their website in it, it's obviously spam. If someone has many posts, and had one with their website in it, most likely they are a good poster, but didn't read the rules.

Upvote 0
C

Cerberus~

No rules on this site are strictly enforced, it's all at mods discretition. THe longer you're here, the more you'll learn who is in control of each forum, and their practices, as well as how to work within them. Even the times when they do enforce them, they don't ban people. You get a warning. The new crop of mods are quite nice... usually, and I think they'll go out of their way to explain if you've done something wrong, without... like... punishing you. People make mistakes all the time, and other people know that.

I wish the old crop were a bit more like that.

Upvote 0