Status
Not open for further replies.

qkumba

Feb 24, 2004
✟15,246.00
Faith
Christian
Serapha said:
What would be the relationship between the Essenes at Qumran and the Latter-day Saints in mesoamerica?

Absolutely diddley-squat, except maybe the fact that the Essenes saw themselves as the true community of God living in the last days (see, for example, the Habakkuk commentary found among the DSS (1QpHab) for strong evidence of this) and the belief that their leader, the Teacher of Righteousness, held the key to interpret the scriptures correctly (also touched on in 1QpHab). Actually, the groups are similar in their outlook and view of themselves (eg. The Qumran sect saw the mainstream believers as evil lovers of lies), but any "relationship" between the two would have no grounding whatsoever.

Upvote 0

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
qkumba said:
Absolutely diddley-squat, except maybe the fact that the Essenes saw themselves as the true community of God living in the last days (see, for example, the Habakkuk commentary found among the DSS (1QpHab) for strong evidence of this) and the belief that their leader, the Teacher of Righteousness, held the key to interpret the scriptures correctly (also touched on in 1QpHab). Actually, the groups are similar in their outlook and view of themselves (eg. The Qumran sect saw the mainstream believers as evil lovers of lies), but any "relationship" between the two would have no grounding whatsoever.

Hi there!

:wave:

Hey, thanks very much for your input. I was reading Jodi Magness, "The Archaeology of Qumran and the Dead Sea Scrolls" 2002/2003 before I got sidetracked with "The God Makers" and "The Response to the God Makers". I think Jodi Magness has put out a good resource book on the Essenes, particularly on a more complete work of some unpublished materials from the excavations there. The illustrations are b/w but still very good.

~serapha~

Upvote 0

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Suzannah said:
Hiya serapha!

I too would be very interested to hear about this "connexion"....I have Jodi Magness' book but have not had time to read it. Glad to hear you enjoyed it....perhaps I will try to find time this week to sit down with it.
The Essenes and the LDS...oh dear.
Hey... and back at cha!

you misunderstand... I only make about two-thirds of the way through the book last week when I had to set it aside to read other materials (on the CoJCoLDS's)...

It a technical read, you have to take time to look at the illustrations for the different stata levels to understand fully the commentary of the book.

Ps... for the girls... there is a picture of "cosmetic items" for the Jews at Masada... including eye shadow sticks... hmmmmmmmm that puts a damper on those religions that condemn the use of make up.. (Susannah... there's no page number, but figures 55, 56, 57 from three different sites)

~serapha~

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Serapha said:
Hey... and back at cha!

you misunderstand... I only make about two-thirds of the way through the book last week when I had to set it aside to read other materials (on the CoJCoLDS's)...
It a technical read, you have to take time to look at the illustrations for the different stata levels to understand fully the commentary of the book.
Ps... for the girls... there is a picture of "cosmetic items" for the Jews at Masada... including eye shadow sticks... hmmmmmmmm that puts a damper on those religions that condemn the use of make up.. (Susannah... there's no page number, but figures 55, 56, 57 from three different sites)
~serapha~
Interesting!!!! Eyeshadow. Kohl sticks ...hmmmmmm..... sure does remind me of a story...(everything reminds me of a story because I'm Irish...) Have you heard J. Vernon McGhie? (I think he spelled it like that.) I have always enjoyed him for his plain, good horse sense, and in a way that shows us that "simple" doesn't mean "not deep". Anyway, he preached a sermon that I heard that I heard on the radio about Christians being concerned with trivial things rather than going to hear the Word! And he told a loooooooooonnnnnnnng story about a woman who was attending his church back in the thirties or thereabouts, who was scandalized because another woman came to church with no stockings.....and so she came to him as her pastor and sorely bent his ear on this issue, and urged him to exhort the women of the parish to "dress properly"...
And he told her: "Uh, ma'am, pardon me...but I don't recall that stockin's in and of themselves being a Biblical commandment. Yes, as a matter of fact, ma'am, I do recall that in seminary, we were taught about what women wore to church in the olden times, and I don't think any professor ever taught that Mary wore stockings...hmmm...I will think it over ma'am, beggin' yer pardon, but I do think I am correct, Mary did NOT wear stockin's..."

:D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.