Massachusetts
✟585,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all." (James 2:10)

Any sin is against God Himself.

Then James 2:11 says if we do not commit adultery but we do murder, we are guilty of all the law. Then he says >

"So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty." (James 2:12)

So, there is "the law of liberty" by which we will be judged. I see that this law is different than the Law of Moses. It does not mean we are free to sin. But . . . possibly . . . it means God is able to set us free from sin and sinning and the trouble of sinning. And so, we need to hold ourselves to the standard of all which is possible with God. Seek Him for His correction which He alone is able to do in us > Hebrews 12:4-14 > 1 John 4:17. We will be judged in comparison with Jesus, Himself, to see if we have been conformed to the image of Jesus, "that He might be the firstborn among many brethren." (in Romans 8:29)

So, we won't be judged by only what we have done, but how we have become. If we are becoming like Jesus, we become more and more merciful. And next James says >

"For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment." (James 2:13)

And not only is Jesus merciful, but He can not sin. So, possibly we are being encouraged here about how with God it is possible to escape sinning, more and more as we become merciful in our nature, with Christ's freedom in us making us "free indeed" > John 8:36.

• Useful
Reactions: Grip Docility
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment." (James 2:13)

Possibly, here, James is somehow acknowledging how we still can sin, and so we will need mercy about this, on the day of judgment. But if we have had mercy on others who have sinned, this will help us on the day of judgment.

Even so, we can refuse to sin. With God, this is possible. But we do not only try to not sin, but also we labor with God to do His loving and ministry, instead. So, there is not only need to be defending ourselves against sinning, but we need to go on love's offense not only against evil but in order to produce all which is so good, instead, of being conformed to the image of Jesus and sharing with one another as His family, all this in submission to how our Heavenly Father personally rules each of us in His own peace > Colossians 3:15 > so, this is better than sinning, to say the least!!! :)

We do this with God, like our Apostle Paul did > Colossians 1:28-29.

But the battle to not sin is not only about fighting against outward sinning. Philippians 2:13-16 to me shows how if we stop our arguing and complaining, we can "become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation". I think this means we need to resist whatever in us would get us to complain or argue, and this comes with how God's love changes us in our nature. God makes us able to refuse these anti-love things, and with this we become closer to Him in love which is blameless and harmless and without fault.

And we have mercy on people, by seeking to become this way, so we can be good examples to help others to find out how to share with God and learn how to love. And we have mercy on others, by having hope for any evil person to be so changed by Jesus. Love "hopes all things" (in 1 Corinthians 13:7).

So, I consider now, mercy is not only about feeding a hungry person, or putting up with a wrong person, but we have hope and pray for all God is able to do with any person.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Mercy triumphs over judgment." (in James 2:13)

When a person trusts in Jesus, the person becomes a new creature, and old thing of being under judgment is passed away > 2 Corinthians 5:17. And with this we also become merciful more and more how our Father has been merciful to us. So we aren't judging like we used to judge. But we care about each person.

So, mercy is superior to judgment. God can judge, but He prefers to have mercy on people. So, this is how we need to be > always have hope for any person > love "hopes all things" (in 1 Corinthians 13:7).

And if we are merciful, we are more and stronger than ones who are judgmental. Jesus won over ones who were judgmental > He showed them up. He triumphed over their judgemental stuff. In His resurrection, Jesus triumphed over how evil tried to judge and condemn Jesus God's own Son.

And we join Jesus by having compassion for people, instead of welcoming excuses to judge them and look down on them.

"He can have compassion on those who are ignorant and going astray, since he himself is also subject to bondage." (Hebrews 5:2)

When people condemn us, we love them and bless them and live in mercy for them. We are their example so they can see how to be and live in God's love.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When people condemn us, we love them and bless them and live in mercy for them.
While Jesus was on the cross, things were very hard and painful for Him, but Jesus had what is best > love.

In any hard situation, we can have what is best > God's love. And we can always do what is best > love like Jesus did, in the cross >

"And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma." (Ephesians 5:2)

We depend on God to have us always live like this.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
James 2:14 >

"What does it profit, my brethren, if someone has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?" (James 2:14)

Here, it appears how James is confronting anyone who feels he or she has faith but does not have works. Yet, even though James here can be confronting and criticizing someone, still he calls these people
"brethren".

He is not talking down to them, or looking down on them, but treating them like family >
"brethren". So, from this I can see how we need to relate with one another, even if we do not agree. Be ready for family love, though we are ready to confront what is wrong.

And I think of how Paul and Silvanus and Timothy say they related with the Thessalonians
"just as a nursing mother cherishes her own children." (in 1 Thessalonians 2:7) So, even though Paul and Silvanus and Timothy were so great as leaders, they cherished God's children and related as family, and not as though they were superior, I would say >

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

They were affectionate and kind, and examples.

This is how we love others, even ones who do not want us > be their example so this can help them find out how to love > stay ready for loving.

Paul and Silvanus and Timothy related as family with people they ministered to. And James here calls people
"brethren".

So, they do not want us to see them as superior in status and out of reach, but as examples of how we also can share in God's love . . . but with going through the correction, however we need, including with confrontation. But with the confrontation is our encouragement to get into all God desires to share with us, instead.

And what here does James say?

If a person says he or she has faith, but the person does not have works > can that person's faith save him or her?

It seems to me that James is asking a rhetorical question, meaning "no" is the automatic answer.

And there is plenty of disagreeing about what this means.

I personally think of how our Apostle Paul says we need
"faith working through love" (in Galatians 5:6). So, I see, James with Paul mean we need faith which is alive in love, so it is producing works of God's love. And so, faith has us in intimacy with God who is creative, creating through us the activities we share with Him and with one another. So, this is faith which saves us but also has us alive in sharing with God in His love.

And this intimacy of faith, with God, does not have us isolated from people.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"What does it profit, my brethren, if someone has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?" (James 2:14)

Here, it appears how James is confronting anyone who feels he or she has faith but does not have works. Yet, even though James here can be confronting and criticizing someone, still he calls these people
"brethren".

He is not talking down to them, or looking down on them, but treating them like family >
"brethren". So, from this I can see how we need to relate with one another, even if we do not agree. Be ready for family love, though we are ready to confront what is wrong.
Actually, I now see he might not be directly speaking to ones who have faith but not works. "My brethren" could be directed to ones who are his brothers and sisters in Jesus, but talking about others who trust in faith without works.

In any case, he does not only say "brethren", like I quoted, but "my brethren". This is intimate, treating us like equals. And if this is meant to ones who need correction, this shows James is not trying to talk down to anyone. I see I need to relate with people, as being ready to share as family with even a wrong person > not that I accept what is wrong, but that I am praying for how God is able to bless and correct a person who is wrong.

We have the Holy Spirit "of adoption" (Romans 8:15), our Apostle Paul says. The Holy Spirit has adopted us to become children of God, plus I believe the Holy Spirit makes us lovingly adoptive > ready to adopt any person to become our brother or sister in Jesus.

Plus, of course, always keep seeking how God knows I myself need correction . . . of His love's perfection.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
James has said we need to have faith which has works. Now he gives us an example of what he considers a work >

James 2:15-16 > helping a needy person > a personal work of love.

So, this can fit with how our Apostle Paul says we need "faith working through love." (in Galatians 5:6)

God's faith has us doing works of personal loving, I consider from this.

And, by the way, with interpreting scripture with this love meaning, I think we can see how easy it is to see how James and Paul agree. Both agree that we need faith which does works of love. And Paul does say,

"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 2:10)

I see here, by the way, how God has planned "beforehand" the works He will do with us whom He has saved. He is committed to doing with us what He has planned and prepared, even before we got saved. So, we know God will succeed with us, if He already is committed, plus also has made preparations. I think this even means that before we were born, already God in His all working of things and people was setting up things for when we would come along to do the love works which He has us doing.

I see even poetry of people. In my church which seems to have worked out for me, our three basic ministerial leaders all have the same first name. In a homeless outreach group, there are two sisters > one has the name of the daughter of a pastor I once had > the name is not common. Plus, her sister looks like one of my first serious loves when I was an adult, plus her name is the same as a childhood girlfriend I had. So, there's even poetry of people God has for me to love and work with. Plus, in the town where I serve with my church, there is a street poetically like the name of my lady friend, and across from her place is a street with the last name of a woman I once hoped to marry! Both names are not common. All was here before I got here. So, I can see how even in God's circumstantial preparation for us, there even can be love poetry, not only in words, but in actions of circumstances and people!

So, God has been doing works, I would say :) And faith has us joining Him in all He is committed to doing and He is succeeding. So, with Him we are guaranteed to succeed, though there are things which can make it look like we are getting nowhere. Still, keep trusting Him; He can correct us however we need so we do better. This is not about depending on ourselves, in this faith.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
James 2:15-16 > so, James has said that it does not profit to just wish a needy person well and not do works to help meet that person's needs. Then James says >

"Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead." (James 2:17)

So, faith without works is dead! I see how this can mean love-dead. And we can see how love's faith is not by itself; faith in Jesus has us in His love, plus we are in company with others in our Jesus family, sharing with one another while we do the loving which Jesus desires.

And we are alive in love, because our Heavenly Father in us is making us alive. So, such faith has us in sharing with our Heavenly Father and Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

There are times when I do things to love others, and certain special love people show up to encourage me and share with me. It is like God arranges for me to have a reward, even right while I am doing things to love people. And God Himself is our best real Reward, and our reward includes our brothers and sisters and sharing with one another.

So, in faith we have works, and we also have God and one another.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@Grip Docility > Thank you for the encouragement. God bless you, too :) But keep testing if and what is right, which I offer. Here's a verse which for me is hard to understand. I might just comment on part of it >

James 2:18 >

"But someone will say, 'You have faith, and I have works.' Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works." (James 2:18)

One thing this can mean is we can show our faith, by means of the works we do. I guess you could say, our works will tell people what we really mean by what we believe.

At times, I think about certain religious leaders of early church history. And I consider that in order to know what they really believed, I would need to see how they lived their beliefs. Were their works of love?

In order to know what they really believed, I would need to know their personal example. Were they about becoming like Jesus, and how did they say this was happening, if it was? What, if anything, did they say about how God was personally correcting them (Hebrews 12:4-14), so we can learn from their example how we also need real correction.

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

Real correction does not only stop wrong things in us, but our Heavenly Father corrects us by conforming us to the image of Christ.

This takes faith > to seek God for real correction, plus to share our testimony about this, so others can be encouraged to also be honest with God and depend on Him for real correction. God alone succeeds in real correction in us. But I have found that I can make my own effort which fails so then I can keep on with things which are wrong. And I think I can hear how others are criticizing their own selves, but not submitting to how God changes our nature; and so their wrong things can keep going on and on.

It is not enough for me to self-produce my own way and feeling of submitting to God. And I need how He changes me into how His love has me caring for and blessing any and all people. I can make gestures to myself, that I am doing this, but only God can truly correct us.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟84,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
@Grip Docility > Thank you for the encouragement. God bless you, too :) But keep testing if and what is right, which I offer. Here's a verse which for me is hard to understand. I might just comment on part of it >

James 2:18 >

"But someone will say, 'You have faith, and I have works.' Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works." (James 2:18)

One thing this can mean is we can show our faith, by means of the works we do. I guess you could say, our works will tell people what we really mean by what we believe.

At times, I think about certain religious leaders of early church history. And I consider that in order to know what they really believed, I would need to see how they lived their beliefs. Were their works of love?

In order to know what they really believed, I would need to know their personal example. Were they about becoming like Jesus, and how did they say this was happening, if it was? What, if anything, did they say about how God was personally correcting them (Hebrews 12:4-14), so we can learn from their example how we also need real correction.

Real correction does not only stop wrong things in us, but our Heavenly Father corrects us by conforming us to the image of Christ.

This takes faith > to seek God for real correction, plus to share our testimony about this, so others can be encouraged to also be honest with God and depend on Him for real correction. God alone succeeds in real correction in us. But I have found that I can make my own effort which fails so then I can keep on with things which are wrong. And I think I can hear how others are criticizing their own selves, but not submitting to how God changes our nature; and so their wrong things can keep going on and on.

It is not enough for me to self-produce my own way and feeling of submitting to God. And I need how He changes me into how His love has me caring for and blessing any and all people. I can make gestures to myself, that I am doing this, but only God can truly correct us.

Faith working through Love... infuses us with an uncontainable desire to share the mercy of God in witness (Ministerial Gospel)(Physical Gospel - Caring for those in need of all kinds).

We don’t do these things to feel more Saved as Salvation is certain in Christ, through Faith.

We do these things because the precious Holy Spirit Of Christ teaches us the Joy we will experience from being His vessel of Love! :D

In other words... that’s a genuine, AMEN, from me to you. :)

• Winner
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, of course, we pray for You, O God, to change us to be truly honest with you, and we offer to You the ones who can fool their own selves . . . like any of us can do.

Thank You, in the name of Jesus. Thank You for showing Yourself to us, in Your love and beauty and wondrous kindness even caressing us in our spirit (Romans 5:5), encouraging us to seek You for Yourself and to submit to how You share with us and personally guide us in Your own peace >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

James 2:19 >

"You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe---and tremble!" (James 2:19)

So, the context here, I would say, tells us that believing is not enough; we need to do works of how we believe there is God. And > "God is love" > in 1 John 4:8&16. So, if we believe God is love, what are we doing about this?

Usually, if we believe something, aren't we doing something about what we believe? Well, very unfortunately, Satan and his devils believe there is God; but what they are doing is not good > instead of appreciating Jesus, they are trembling.

Isn't it sad and tragic and awful, how Satan has been right in the presence of Jesus (Job chapter one, with Matthew 4:1-11), yet he did not appreciate such a special time when he could be with and personally communicate with Jesus God's own Son?

But "we who first trusted in Christ" (in Ephesians 1:12) can enjoy and appreciate our Savior and Lord and Groom . . . in His own love in us > Romans 5:5. In our trusting and loving faith . . . our way of belief has us acting on how we know God is love and kind and has sent His own Son Jesus to save us and share all His own good with us. We in believing are trusting God for this.

And our works are because of this believing, which includes trusting Jesus and how our Father personally guides us in His own peace > Colossians 3:15.

And He satisfies us in His love. And this love of God in us is all-loving, therefore our example feeding us how to be in our works of loving any and all people. Hallelujah ! ! ! Thank You, God :) God's love in us feeds us how to become in our nature, more and more as we grow in Jesus; plus, our Creator's love in us shares with us His own creativity for how to relate with and love each and every person.

"Let all that you do be done with love." (1 Corinthians 16:14)

God's love is pure and pleasant and beautifully wonderful and kind with "rest for your souls" (Matthew 11:28-30). James means for us to do works in this love; we can see this, if we skip ahead to the description of wisdom which comes from God > James 3:13-18. This, I personally understand, gives a description of the wisdom of God's love > how His love is and how this love in us cures our nature to become, more and more as we grow in Jesus.

So, while we may talk about works, here, this means to include how we need to become while doing works which God desires. We must not just copy-cat things we think He wants us to do, but tenderly share with Him in His love, and personally submit to how He has us doing these works of His love. Here again, we can do a little skip > for a moment, please see James 4:7 which says >

"Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you." (James 4:7)

All this good which God says He desires for us has this "Therefore" > we need to submit to You, so that You have us doing all You mean ! :)

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟84,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
"For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all." (James 2:10)

Any sin is against God Himself.

Then James 2:11 says if we do not commit adultery but we do murder, we are guilty of all the law. Then he says >

"So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty." (James 2:12)

So, there is "the law of liberty" by which we will be judged. I see that this law is different than the Law of Moses. It does not mean we are free to sin. But . . . possibly . . . it means God is able to set us free from sin and sinning and the trouble of sinning. And so, we need to hold ourselves to the standard of all which is possible with God. Seek Him for His correction which He alone is able to do in us > Hebrews 12:4-14 > 1 John 4:17. We will be judged in comparison with Jesus, Himself, to see if we have been conformed to the image of Jesus, "that He might be the firstborn among many brethren." (in Romans 8:29)

So, we won't be judged by only what we have done, but how we have become. If we are becoming like Jesus, we become more and more merciful. And next James says >

And not only is Jesus merciful, but He can not sin. So, possibly we are being encouraged here about how with God it is possible to escape sinning, more and more as we become merciful in our nature, with Christ's freedom in us making us "free indeed" > John 8:36.

What means the very most to me about what you are recording is that you have genuinely articulated Faith working through the Love of God.

I’ll say something I don’t usually say... the works God does through us are so Loving, Merciful and Powerful, that no Law could describe what He truly does! He responds to circumstances we could never imagine being thrown in to, with a Love and calm Provision that is beyond description or words.

Occasionally, we get to sit back and realize... THEE Jesus, Loved through us, forgave through us, provided through us, and under being used by Jesus to encourage a human being to turn to Him... it is these times that are treasure beyond compare to the human soul!

“Loveoligy” reminds me of one of my favorite bible passages! John 21:25

Few writings do the epistle of James justice, but by the Grace of God, you are moved to do so!

All Love in Jesus Christ to you, Loving sibling, in His Love!

I will say one more thing I don’t find myself saying... usually... if a book was to be written about a theological Lens... you would be right to do so and publish.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
if a book was to be written about a theological Lens... you would be right to do so and publish.
Be the book :) Each of us is a chapter in God's book :)

Jesus says, "Freely you have received, freely give." (in Matthew 10:8)

So, if God blesses me to write something, it is freely available for people to share. I, then, consider what I offer to be public domain :) I have offered a number of pages, right on the Net where anyone in the world with computer access can see what we share. So, God bless you, too :) And thank you for sharing along with me.

James 2:20 >

"But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?" (James 2:20)

A little context for this might come from what our Apostle Paul says >

"But she who lives in pleasure is dead while she lives." (1 Timothy 5:6)

This would go for men, too, of course.

So, a person can be "dead" while still living on this earth. This being spiritually dead can be conscious, then. One can be conscious but love-dead > maybe very consciously desiring and seeking pleasure, but dead as far as real love is concerned.

So, like this > if faith is dead, it is because it might be conscious and active, but not alive in God's love.

And this can mean the person is very missing out. Not only are the person's works and ways wrong, but the person is not experiencing God's love. And God's love shares our Creator's creativity with us, for how to love each and every person. So, part of faith, then, can include how we seek God to guide what we do to love people. We depend on Him.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟84,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Be the book :) Each of us is a chapter in God's book :)

Jesus says, "Freely you have received, freely give." (in Matthew 10:8)

So, if God blesses me to write something, it is freely available for people to share. I, then, consider what I offer to be public domain :) I have offered a number of pages, right on the Net where anyone in the world with computer access can see what we share. So, God bless you, too :) And thank you for sharing along with me.

James 2:20 >

"But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?" (James 2:20)

A little context for this might come from what our Apostle Paul says >

"But she who lives in pleasure is dead while she lives." (1 Timothy 5:6)

This would go for men, too, of course.

So, a person can be "dead" while still living on this earth. This being spiritually dead can be conscious, then. One can be conscious but love-dead > maybe very consciously desiring and seeking pleasure, but dead as far as real love is concerned.

So, like this > if faith is dead, it is because it might be conscious and active, but not alive in God's love.

And this can mean the person is very missing out. Not only are the person's works and ways wrong, but the person is not experiencing God's love. And God's love shares our Creator's creativity with us, for how to love each and every person. So, part of faith, then, can include how we seek God to guide what we do to love people. We depend on Him.

Paul and James indeed agree. Faith without Love is Dead. :)

1 Corinthians 13:2 ; James 2:20 ... might as well throw John in... 1 John 4:8... and why not add a splash of Peter... 1 Peter 4:8 :D

Splash of Peter... (Matthew 14:29) :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Paul and James indeed agree. Faith without Love is Dead. :)

1 Corinthians 13:2 ; James 2:20 ...
might as well throw John in... 1 John 4:8...
"He who does not love does not know God, for God is love." (1 John 4:8)

Also >

"My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth." (1 John 3:18)

This agrees with how James earlier says (James 2:14-17) it does not profit if you see someone in need, but only say, "God bless you and be warmed and filled," but do not help the person to meet his or her needs.

With this, I think of how Paul says >

"They zealously court you, but for no good; yes, they want to exclude you, that you may be zealous for them." (Galatians 4:17)

There are people who will very enthusiastically talk to us like we are so great, but this is in order to get us to feel they must be such great people, since they know we are!! But this is meant to get us isolated with them, so then they can use us and control us for what they want.

So, this can be done by means of talk . . . loving us "in word", like John says, instead of loving "in deed and in truth." And our attention can become isolated to them, instead of our attention being called more and more to God.

There are cult and church people who can talk our attention more and more to them and get us isolated with them. But, yes, we ourselves possibly have done this sort of thing, in trying to get someone to marry us so we can use them for what we want. We can use our talk, a lot of say-so and not "deed" and "truth" of God's all-loving love > "if you love those who love you, what reward have you?" Jesus says in Matthew 5:46.

and why not add a splash of Peter... 1 Peter 4:8 :D
"And above all things have fervent love for one another, for 'love will cover a multitude of sins.'" (1 Peter 4:8)

Splash of Peter... (Matthew 14:29) :p
"So He said, 'Come.' And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus." (Matthew 14:29)

In God's all-loving love, we can walk where worldly people can not go. We will be with Jesus, and not only isolated with people we are trying to use and possess and control. They will sink and stink, but God's grace is able to keep us in His way of caring and sharing.

Of course, we can sink, too > in unforgiveness, frustration, and lusts for different sorts of pleasures and security and using and controlling people for what we want. But because we are with Jesus, we can get homesick for how we can be in His love, and so we trust God to get us out of the messy stuff we can still sink in and stink in.

James 2:21 >

"Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar?" (James 2:21)

Abraham, by faith, was able to go where humans in sin can not go. But was Abraham's faith of love . . . if he was heading out to slay and sacrifice his own son Isaac?

Well, Genesis 22 is very clear how the LORD told Abraham to do this. But, though, then the LORD changed the orders, saying He had been testing Abraham. But > that work of obedience did have results >

"'In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because you have obeyed My voice.'" (Genesis 22:18)

So, because Abraham obeyed the LORD, "all the nations of the earth shall be blessed". Therefore, I consider, by obeying God who is all-loving, and not being isolated with only himself and what he might get himself to do to love people, Abraham's work has an all-loving result > blessing "all the nations of the earth" ! ! ! Therefore > we are talking about faith which works by means of love > God's love all-loving.

And yes this is our example > if we obey God and do His all-loving works, our works, too, will do all-loving good. So, yes, no matter how much or little reputation we may have, every one of us is "somebody", like this, with God who will produce the results > 1 Corinthians 15:58.

And so, even Genesis agrees with works being by faith working through love, like James is indicating, even using Abraham of early scripture times as an example . . . of love works.

And James here says Abraham was "justified" by his "works".

But we see that the works James means are works of God's all-loving love . . . not merely of religious copy-catting in order to get our own selves into Heaven, caring only or mainly about our own selves, or caring only or mainly about ones close to us > so we are not justified by works of selfish loving, and "not by works of righteousness which we have done", Paul says in Titus 3:5 >

"not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and the renewing of the Holy spirit," (Titus 3:5)

But I think I'll spare trying to just explain this, how we are justified by works.

Because you can see for yourself how you become as you do things in God's all-loving love. As we exercise in God's love, don't we become more and more deeply kind and gentle, stronger in love? And this love growing in us makes us genuinely right > just > in our character, doesn't He?

So, we need healthy and wholesome activities as God's children. A child needs to do things with a mature adult, so the child can discover how to love and how to relate. And this develops while the child is doing good things with people who know how to love . . . not being left to be babysat by a TV set and a pile of toys and new-tech stuff which do not know how to love the child. And peers and people caring in order to make money is also not going to work.

We God's little children have God Himself in us, to grow us while He has us doing His works in His love. His love in us, makes us more and more right > just > the way His love is so right, therefore righteous > while we do things He has us doing.

It is kind of like how if you exercise by running on a smoggy day, your work will make you more and more unhealthy, because of the atmosphere in which you are jogging. But if we go out on a sweet and breezy spring day, our activity can make us more and more healthy . . . the right way . . . because of how our activity is in an atmosphere of fresh air.

And we can feed on what James says is and is not in the atmosphere of God's love > James 3:13-18. We see that works of bitterness do not make us right, do not justify us (make us right like God's love) . . . do not sanctify us (make us holy like God's love). But if our works are "in the meekness of wisdom", amen; works in the meekness of Christ can help us become more genuine in love > how love makes us more and more maturely righteous and justified and therefore sanctified.

And so we need to submit to You, all the time, O God our Father.

"Therefore submit to God," James later says in this epistle > in James 4:7. I think this "Therefore" applies to all he has said, even before what James has said in chapter four. We need how God has us doing all His word says through James. And this is all the time.

So, then, we are not talking about self-produced works, or occasional gestures to bribe our egos and get people out of our consciences. But our examples of love, in this second chapter of James, involve personal caring for people and personal communication with God. Love is personal. Love makes us strong and sensible enough to do well in close involvement with other people > "without complaining and disputing" > Philippians 2:13-16.

Paul even says that if we do every single thing and every married thing "without complaining and disputing" > we can "become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation" > see Philippians 2:13-16. If we do such works, we can become blameless, harmless, and without fault, right in this evil world! So, I see, Paul can mean that doing such works will help to justify us, meaning to make us more and more right and therefore sanctified the way God's love makes us right in His sight, by making us more and maturely like Jesus who is growing in us as our new inner Person > Galatians 4:19.

In order to live . . . to love . . . like this, we need to be submissive to God, all the time.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟84,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
"He who does not love does not know God, for God is love." (1 John 4:8)

Also >

"My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth." (1 John 3:18)

This agrees with how James earlier says (James 2:14-17) it does not profit if you see someone in need, but only say, "God bless you and be warmed and filled," but do not help the person to meet his or her needs.

With this, I think of how Paul says >

"They zealously court you, but for no good; yes, they want to exclude you, that you may be zealous for them." (Galatians 4:17)

There are people who will very enthusiastically talk to us like we are so great, but this is in order to get us to feel they must be such great people, since they know we are!! But this is meant to get us isolated with them, so then they can use us and control us for what they want.

So, this can be done by means of talk . . . loving us "in word", like John says, instead of loving "in deed and in truth." And our attention can become isolated to them, instead of our attention being called more and more to God.

There are cult and church people who can talk our attention more and more to them and get us isolated with them. But, yes, we ourselves possibly have done this sort of thing, in trying to get someone to marry us so we can use them for what we want. We can use our talk, a lot of say-so and not "deed" and "truth" of God's all-loving love > "if you love those who love you, what reward have you?" Jesus says in Matthew 5:46.

"And above all things have fervent love for one another, for 'love will cover a multitude of sins.'" (1 Peter 4:8)

"So He said, 'Come.' And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus." (Matthew 14:29)

In God's all-loving love, we can walk where worldly people can not go. We will be with Jesus, and not only isolated with people we are trying to use and possess and control. They will sink and stink, but God's grace is able to keep us in His way of caring and sharing.

Of course, we can sink, too > in unforgiveness, frustration, and lusts for different sorts of pleasures and security and using and controlling people for what we want. But because we are with Jesus, we can get homesick for how we can be in His love, and so we trust God to get us out of the messy stuff we can still sink in and stink in.

James 2:21 >

"Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar?" (James 2:21)

Abraham, by faith, was able to go where humans in sin can not go. But was Abraham's faith of love . . . if he was heading out to slay and sacrifice his own son Isaac?

Well, Genesis 22 is very clear how the LORD told Abraham to do this. But, though, then the LORD changed the orders, saying He had been testing Abraham. But > that work of obedience did have results >

"'In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because you have obeyed My voice.'" (Genesis 22:18)

So, because Abraham obeyed the LORD, "all the nations of the earth shall be blessed". Therefore, I consider, by obeying God who is all-loving, and not being isolated with only himself and what he might get himself to do to love people, Abraham's work has an all-loving result > blessing "all the nations of the earth" ! ! ! Therefore > we are talking about faith which works by means of love > God's love all-loving.

And yes this is our example > if we obey God and do His all-loving works, our works, too, will do all-loving good. So, yes, no matter how much or little reputation we may have, every one of us is "somebody", like this, with God who will produce the results > 1 Corinthians 15:58.

And so, even Genesis agrees with works being by faith working through love, like James is indicating, even using Abraham of early scripture times as an example . . . of love works.

And James here says Abraham was "justified" by his "works".

But we see that the works James means are works of God's all-loving love . . . not merely of religious copy-catting in order to get our own selves into Heaven, caring only or mainly about our own selves, or caring only or mainly about ones close to us > so we are not justified by works of selfish loving, and "not by works of righteousness which we have done", Paul says in Titus 3:5 >

"not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and the renewing of the Holy spirit," (Titus 3:5)

But I think I'll spare trying to just explain this, how we are justified by works.

Because you can see for yourself how you become as you do things in God's all-loving love. As we exercise in God's love, don't we become more and more deeply kind and gentle, stronger in love? And this love growing in us makes us genuinely right > just > in our character, doesn't He?

So, we need healthy and wholesome activities as God's children. A child needs to do things with a mature adult, so the child can discover how to love and how to relate. And this develops while the child is doing good things with people who know how to love . . . not being left to be babysat by a TV set and a pile of toys and new-tech stuff which do not know how to love the child. And peers and people caring in order to make money is also not going to work.

We God's little children have God Himself in us, to grow us while He has us doing His works in His love. His love in us, makes us more and more right > just > the way His love is so right, therefore righteous > while we do things He has us doing.

It is kind of like how if you exercise by running on a smoggy day, your work will make you more and more unhealthy, because of the atmosphere in which you are jogging. But if we go out on a sweet and breezy spring day, our activity can make us more and more healthy . . . the right way . . . because of how our activity is in an atmosphere of fresh air.

And we can feed on what James says is and is not in the atmosphere of God's love > James 3:13-18. We see that works of bitterness do not make us right, do not justify us (make us right like God's love) . . . do not sanctify us (make us holy like God's love). But if our works are "in the meekness of wisdom", amen; works in the meekness of Christ can help us become more genuine in love > how love makes us more and more maturely righteous and justified and therefore sanctified.

And so we need to submit to You, all the time, O God our Father.

"Therefore submit to God," James later says in this epistle > in James 4:7. I think this "Therefore" applies to all he has said, even before what James has said in chapter four. We need how God has us doing all His word says through James. And this is all the time.

So, then, we are not talking about self-produced works, or occasional gestures to bribe our egos and get people out of our consciences. But our examples of love, in this second chapter of James, involve personal caring for people and personal communication with God. Love is personal. Love makes us strong and sensible enough to do well in close involvement with other people > "without complaining and disputing" > Philippians 2:13-16.

Paul even says that if we do every single thing and every married thing "without complaining and disputing" > we can "become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation" > see Philippians 2:13-16. If we do such works, we can become blameless, harmless, and without fault, right in this evil world! So, I see, Paul can mean that doing such works will help to justify us, meaning to make us more and more right and therefore sanctified the way God's love makes us right in His sight, by making us more and maturely like Jesus who is growing in us as our new inner Person > Galatians 4:19.

In order to live . . . to love . . . like this, we need to be submissive to God, all the time.

This is a loving weapon against falsehood! Amen!

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
James 2:22 >

"Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect?" (James 2:22)

"faith working through love," our Apostle Paul does say, Galatians 5:6.

So, is this work by Abraham a work of love? God personally communicated with Abraham, and Abraham did what God told him to do, putting God first. He loved God, by putting Him first by offering up his son Isaac.

In this work of love for God, Abraham personally communicated with God. Faith had Abraham together with God. He did not only theoretically think up what God wanted him to do. And while he was offering up his son Isaac, Abraham stayed in communication with God. He did not just take things into his own hands and stick with what he first understood that God wanted. So, when God told him not to kill Isaac, Abraham was able to hear God and obey the change of orders.

But there are people who think up what God wants and keep Him at a theoretical distance, dictating what they decide He wants; then they will not listen to what He says. And they can get into ministry and marriage and memberships which are more and more trouble, because they will not make sure with God.

But Jesus' sheep hear His voice > John 10:1-31. And we have taken His yoke upon us and have been learning from Him so we are doing things with Jesus in His "rest for your souls." (in Matthew 11:28-30)

So, from this I see how we need to be with God, all the time, so we are doing exactly all He means by what His word says for us to do. And He does not only tell us, but God works in us to have us doing all He means by His word >

"for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13)

So, how was Abraham's faith "made perfect" "by works"?

Faith was working in love, and God's perfect love makes faith perfect. So, our works of faith need to be in love so we are benefitted by how God's love effects our nature >

• Agree
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
James 2:23 >

"And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, 'Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.' And he was called the friend of God." (James 2:23)

All right, so Abraham did a work of faith. Plus, it says that because "Abraham believed God" > "it was accounted to him for righteousness."

Now, one thing I see here is how it says Abraham believes God. I think it might be a consideration > that he did not only believe what God said, but he was trusting God Himself. He was trusting God with all. He was not only believing God about certain things which Abraham picked and chose to trust God about.

I guess we could say that we can tend to trust certain things and hope for God to help us with those things which we trust.

:doh::sigh: :scratch:

But we can have ways of not trusting God; we can say we trust Him, but we do not trust Him by personally submitting to Him, all the time, in how He personally rules us in His own peace (Colossians 3:15). Ones will say there are things God expects us to do on our own; ones might claim that there are things which are not important enough for God to guide us and tell us to do them.

But > > > God does not want to be distant, while we take care of our so-called "small" things, like brushing our teeth. He wants us to share with Him in His own peace, with His creativity for how we do everything. There is timing; everything needs to fit with His timing of all the big and small things. So, even tiny little things need to be guided by God, so we are on time for things He has and we do not know about them.

Biblical prayer, then, is not only for trying to hand God a chore list or a shopping list. But first we give our selves and our whole lives to Him, then discover all He is committed to doing with us.

So, by offering up his son, Isaac, I think Abraham was doing this.

So, because he was trusting God all the way and not only trying to use God, he was "called the friend of God."

If you trust God with all, and you submit to Him, you are His friend. And there are works which you do, which go with this. We see how Abraham did a work which was not like what a lot of God claiming people would be doing. He offered up his son Isaac, then obeyed how the LORD called off the sacrifice. So, Abraham was on communicating terms with God Himself, so God could communicate one way, get Abraham to obey, then communicate another way and still Abraham would obey. So, I would say this way of loving communication with God is included in living by "faith working through love" (in Galatians 5:6).

If you have a love relationship, you do have personal communication . . . right? And whoever you know has your best interest in mind, you will trust this person more than your own self. So, between God and us > who always has our best interest in mind? :idea:

When, at any time of the day, can we know better than God what we should be doing? So, always we do well to keep submitting to how You personally guide us in Your peace. And discover what You in us have us willing and doing . . . in this peace >

"for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13)

Why go on time out from so sharing with You????

• Friendly
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
James 2:24 >

"You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only." (James 2:24)

This does not mean "works of the law", our Apostle Paul says > Galatians 2:16.

And this does not mean "works of righteousness that we have done" > Titus 3:5.

But there is "faith working through love," our Apostle Paul says in Galatians 5:6. And we see how James gives three examples of works of love, in chapter two here of his epistle > helping a needy person, Abraham putting God first by offering up his son Isaac, and Rahab helping God's servants.

My opinion is that while we do works of love, God's love in us effects our nature to make us more and more like Jesus. And so, we are made more and more right the way Jesus is . . . more and more maturely right like Jesus, because of how God's love in our works effects our character, to make us more and more right. And I consider that "justified", here, can mean made right.

Of course, sanctification is the process of making us holy, which, of course means we are made right by being made holy. So, I see justification and sanctification can be related.

It is like how a child can not only trust the child's parents, but the child needs to do wholesome activities with Mom and Dad so the child will grow and develop right. The trust works through the loving activities; you can't have the one without the other.

And so I can see Paul and James agree :)

James gives examples which are works of love, and Paul says >

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0