✟13,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Was unsure where to post this topic at.

I was wondering about how people believe if the world really is coming to an end soon ?

Why has it been taught that the world is going to end soon?

Where does it say that world is going to end?

Will the earth really ever stop going on and carrying on having life that people will continue to come to God entering the everlasting kingdom by and through trusting and believing on the Lord Jesus Christ?

Reactions: Walk together

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

I was wondering about how people believe if the world really is coming to an end soon ?

Will the earth really ever stop going on and carrying on having life that people will continue to come to God entering the everlasting kingdom by and through trusting and believing on the Lord Jesus Christ?

It's all through the bible that the "world" is going to end.
when they say "the world" it means the society created by men in sin. It'll be destroyed, and it'll end, and the planet will be purged by fire, and then a new earth will be made from it.
Revelation chapters 19, 20, and 21 show that. Jesus coming back to earth, waging war on those who oppose His rule destroying them all, casting the Antichrist false prophet into eternal hell, then a 1000 year reign on earth, followed by a final act of rebellion, and then the entire planet being consumed by fire and the great white throne of judgement. After which there is no more sin. Chapter 21 opens with the revelation of the New Earth and New Heavens. It is also shown in the later chapters of Ezekiel and Isaiah particularly Isaiah 65.

The destruction of this current world is also shown in Zephaniah (the entire thing is about the world being consumed in the Day of the Lord), and 2 Peter 3:10-13 where I feel it is taught most concisely and clearly, so that's what I'll quote.

10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Reactions: Jesus is YHWH
Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I was getting excited by the thought of it ending, but since you put it THAT way...I guess it ought to go on for a while longer.

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

GallagherM

Jun 13, 2021
Fyffe
✟13,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's all through the bible that the "world" is going to end.
when they say "the world" it means the society created by men in sin. It'll be destroyed, and it'll end, and the planet will be purged by fire, and then a new earth will be made from it.
Revelation chapters 19, 20, and 21 show that. Jesus coming back to earth, waging war on those who oppose His rule destroying them all, casting the Antichrist false prophet into eternal hell, then a 1000 year reign on earth, followed by a final act of rebellion, and then the entire planet being consumed by fire and the great white throne of judgement. After which there is no more sin. Chapter 21 opens with the revelation of the New Earth and New Heavens. It is also shown in the later chapters of Ezekiel and Isaiah particularly Isaiah 65.

The destruction of this current world is also shown in Zephaniah (the entire thing is about the world being consumed in the Day of the Lord), and 2 Peter 3:10-13 where I feel it is taught most concisely and clearly, so that's what I'll quote.

Thank you for your comment Jamdoc.

I was getting excited by the thought of it ending, but since you put it THAT way...I guess it ought to go on for a while longer.

Me too. As long as I am here I’ll count it for the sake of others needing to hear the good news of Christ Jesus who shines light in our lives. Thank for your comment.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Well, here's the thing. God already knows who and how many people will accept Him. That's the thing, the end does not happen, until "the fullness of the gentiles" comes. That means every Gentile that God knows will accept Him, accepts, and that is why "the last days" have lasted almost 2000 years. Because more people come to Christ. Eventually though, the balance is shifted to fewer and fewer people coming to Christ, and eventually, everyone that WILL come, has come, and delaying the end for the sake of future believers wouldn't be profitable, because none of them will accept, God already knows.

Reactions: Jesus is YHWH
Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
“Woe unto you that desire the day of the LORD! to what end is it for you? the day of the LORD is darkness, and not light.” Amos 5:18

Keep making on oil for your lamp. It may happen in our lifetime, it may not but we are to always to be ready.
Yes we should desire *to be* with our Lord. But wishing for the the day of the Lord, the second coming *within our lifetime* would mean so many will suffer. And you are wishing for their suffering.

• Informative
Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1st off, no matter how much we feel we have achieved on this earth, our tomorrow is never guaranteed. So it is better to live as if, each day on earth is our last, as our race ends when we die. Then see also, the parable of the wedding banquet, concerning the Kingdom of heaven.

James 4:13–14
Boasting About Tomorrow

13 Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”— you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes

Matthew 22:1-14

22Once more Jesus spoke to them in parables, saying: 2‘The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a wedding banquet for his son. 3He sent his slaves to call those who had been invited to the wedding banquet, but they would not come. 4Again he sent other slaves, saying, “Tell those who have been invited: Look, I have prepared my dinner, my oxen and my fat calves have been slaughtered, and everything is ready; come to the wedding banquet.” 5But they made light of it and went away, one to his farm, another to his business, 6while the rest seized his slaves, maltreated them, and killed them. 7The king was enraged. He sent his troops, destroyed those murderers, and burned their city.8Then he said to his slaves, “The wedding is ready, but those invited were not worthy. 9Go therefore into the main streets, and invite everyone you find to the wedding banquet.”10Those slaves went out into the streets and gathered all whom they found, both good and bad; so the wedding hall was filled with guests.

11 ‘But when the king came in to see the guests, he noticed a man there who was not wearing a wedding robe,12and he said to him, “Friend, how did you get in here without a wedding robe?” And he was speechless.13Then the king said to the attendants, “Bind him hand and foot, and throw him into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” 14For many are called, but few are chosen.’

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
“Woe unto you that desire the day of the LORD! to what end is it for you? the day of the LORD is darkness, and not light.” Amos 5:18

Keep making on oil for your lamp. It may happen in our lifetime, it may not but we are to always to be ready.
Yes we should desire *to be* with our Lord. But wishing for the the day of the Lord, the second coming *within our lifetime* would mean so many will suffer. And you are wishing for their suffering.

and at the same time, it's righteous judgement. It's the justice that everyone clamors about wanting.

Upvote 0

Walk together

Jun 25, 2021
sydney
✟30,237.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Labor
In Noah's time, God flooded the world to rid it of evil the new world soon to come and will be rid of evil, not with water but this time with fire. God's chosen ones will be lifted away just as this violent event begins and they will be returned once all evil has been destroyed. Have faith and be like Noah.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, here's the thing. God already knows who and how many people will accept Him. That's the thing, the end does not happen, until "the fullness of the gentiles" comes. That means every Gentile that God knows will accept Him, accepts, and that is why "the last days" have lasted almost 2000 years. Because more people come to Christ. Eventually though, the balance is shifted to fewer and fewer people coming to Christ, and eventually, everyone that WILL come, has come, and delaying the end for the sake of future believers wouldn't be profitable, because none of them will accept, God already knows.

Setting aside your all too common misinterpretation of the scriptural phrase "fulness of the Gentiles" for a moment, let's dig in to your claim.

So there will eventually come a point where all of the Millions of babies born in a given, say 10 year period, will never grow up to accept Christ?
Currently 140 Million babies are born every year worldwide.
You're saying that at some point not a single one of them will grow up to accept and Believe in Christ?
Do you think none of this year's 140 million Babies will ever accept Christ?
Maybe Next Year's 140 million?
or the next?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

God Promised to be faithful to His creation for 1000 generations:
Deuteronomy 7:9
1 Chronicles 16:15
Psalm 105:8

We know from scripture that a "generation" is somewhere between 40-120 earth years, so we have, ordained by the Living God, a promise that His creation will continue for 40,000-120,000 earth years at a bare minimum.

We also have the sure and certain promise that the earth and material cosmos will exist forever (Ecc 1:4; Ps 78:69; 89:36-37; 104:5; 148:4-6; Eph 3:21) and that human generations are unending and perpetual (Ps 145:13; Dan 4:3,34; Dan 7:14,18,27; Lk 1:33)

"Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen."

Ephesians 3:21

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I believe in an amillennial eschatology, which teaches that we are living in the millennium right now. That the 1,000 years spoken of in Revelation is describing an indefinite period of time that exists between Christ's first and second coming.

That the Bible teaches that under the New Covenant of Christ there will be a time where things get far far better for God's people than it was in the 1,000 years leading up to Christ's first coming...

And wow has it ever. We live in reasonable safety, "unwalled cities", live far longer than humans have since the days of Noah, few in the world know hunger and there's all kinds of charity to countries and people who don't have much.

In human history where we are now is unparalleled. Its not perfect - the world and people in it are still corruptable, but it's full of wonderment.

At any rate mankind will hit some kind of peak, and then society will fall into decline, and that decline will eventually become so depraved as to usher in God's judgement upon mankind.

When Christ returns again, it will be for the judgement. For God's people it's not judgement at all, but rather a celebration we will be with the Lord eternally, and a sad sad day for those who find themselves without a Savior. Because Judgement - or reward, is positioned upon holding true faith in Christ, or not.

Everything we now know will cease - eventually. I don't know when, nor does when matter. Today or 10,000 years future matters not. What matters is our relationship with Christ. No man can even imagine what God has prepared for those who love him - a blessed promise!

Those who think it will end soon, think so because they see signs of moral decay and think it seems to be coming to a head...

So long as we are doing what God would have us do, we are fine. There are many views of course, but they all surround prophecy, and the one I just described is the main traditional belief since the early church father's. It just doesn't sell as many books - not enough dramatic shock and awe... lol

hope this was helpful.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

I don't believe in an "end of the earth", at least not eschatologically. Now, without any intervention by God we are pretty confident that within the next several billion years the sun will deplete its hydrogen supply resulting in the sun cooling and expanding into a red giant, and when it does it will engulf almost all of the inner planets, Earth included.

Now I do believe in the intervention of God--I believe in Christ's glorious return in judgment, in the resurrection of the dead, and the life everlasting in the Age to Come--as Christ, the Apostles, the Scriptures, and the Creeds all say; and as such I believe that this present age will come to an end. History has a conclusion. That began, in part, on that Great Day of Days, the Day Christ rose from the dead; in which Day we now live as new creations by the power of His resurrection by the Holy Spirit who reigns in our hearts. We have become partakers of the future world even now, which is why we can say we have eternal life even in the mortality of our bodies, as Christ our God has said,

"I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die." -John 11:25-26

And so we have, as St. Paul says,

"Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith— that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.

Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
" - Philippians 3:8-14

This is our now-and-not-yet. We have received a gift, through faith: We have in promise and foretaste that which we hope for.

If there is no hope of future resurrection and the renewal of all creation, then there is no salvation in this present life also. Which is why the Apostle teaches in 1 Corinthians 15 that those who say there is no resurrection of the dead are saying, whether they realize it or not, that Christ Himself is not risen. And if Christ is not risen, then we are hopelessly lost, still dead in our sins, and our faith is all pointless--we are to be considered the most pitiable of all people. However, if Christ has risen from the dead, then we have hope, the hope of that future resurrection, the hope of God making all things new, and setting all things to rights.

We have a bright future, we and the rest of the whole universe, in the hope of what God is going to do for us and the whole world; which He has shown us in Jesus. Jesus therefore is the firstfruits of the resurrection, and if the Spirit of "Him who raised Christ from the dead is also in you, then He who raised Christ from the dead will likewise give life to your mortal bodies" (Romans 8:11). For this reason we toil and labor in the Lord, knowing that our labor in Christ will not be in vain (1 Corinthians 15:58).

It's not about "the end of the world"; it's about the redemption of the world and the renewal of all things proclaimed in the words of the Prophets (Acts of the Apostles 3:21). It is about the end of this present age, however; there will be an eschaton, an end of the present way of things, of death, disease, depression, oppression, war, hate, violence, power, and all the vain things of this present world-system ruled by the tyranny of sin and death. Christ has already defeated the powers of sin, death, hell, and the devil; and at His coming shall put, as it were, the final nail in death's coffin.

The Christian looks forward, not in fear, but in hopeful expectation and anticipation of the Day when all things shall be free from the captivity of death. That even the dirt beneath our feet is purposed in Jesus to hope, redemption, and glory.

That should invigorate us to a life of hope here in the present, to live out our faith in the midst of the world, in hope of what has been revealed, with love. As we know "these three things abide: faith, hope, and love. And the greatest of these is love" (1 Corinthians 13:13). Faith trusts in the promises of God, hope looks forward and anticipates these promises in the present, and love is how we live out in the world and, when faith becomes sight, and hope becomes real, love endures forever in that good and future world--where even the lion eats straw like an ox, and the wolf, the lamb, the leopard, the young goat dwell in perfect peace. Even the child shall approach a viper's nest without fear. For there, there is no weeping or mourning, no harm and no death. Injustice will become justice, mourning will become laughter, sorrow shall turn to gladness,

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever" - Psalm 23:6

Such is the life for which we hope, and for which Christ is our Good Shepherd who keeps us in green pasture, beside the calm waters, refreshing our soul.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Setting aside your all too common misinterpretation of the scriptural phrase "fulness of the Gentiles" for a moment, let's dig in to your claim.

So there will eventually come a point where all of the Millions of babies born in a given, say 10 year period, will never grow up to accept Christ?
Currently 140 Million babies are born every year worldwide.
You're saying that at some point not a single one of them will grow up to accept and Believe in Christ?
Do you think none of this year's 140 million Babies will ever accept Christ?
Maybe Next Year's 140 million?
or the next?

Don't know why I bother responding, or why you're even in this thread since you already believe we're in the new heaven and new earth and there's no more sin and no more death.
I guess you've never been to a funeral before.
because in your world there's no more death.

But Christ mused that when He came back, He questioned if He'd even find faith on the world.
It certainly wasn't 70AD, when the church was just getting going and some of the apostles were still alive.

So... there will come a point, where Jesus will come back, I believe at the 6th seal, those who believe, and all young and unborn children will be taken. What will be left, is unbelievers, and at that point, in that last year or two, there won't be any more children born, and there won't come any more gentile believers, only all of Israel (the 1/3 that survive) will be saved after the wrath of God begins.
The rest? They curse and blaspheme God during the wrath of God.

There is only 1 specific group that gives glory to God after suffering the wrath of God.

Revelation 11
13 And the same hour was there a great earthquake, and the tenth part of the city fell, and in the earthquake were slain of men seven thousand: and the remnant were affrighted, and gave glory to the God of heaven.
So.. Israel repents at the last second.
But aside from them? Revelation 9 and 16 shows a lot of cursing, blaspheming, and even trying to go to war against Christ. Not repenting or believing.

After the 6th seal? There is no repentance outside of Israel.

But I know you believe differently that we're already in a world without sin and death so.. you can not bother replying.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't believe in an "end of the earth", at least not eschatologically. Now, without any intervention by God we are pretty confident that within the next several billion years the sun will deplete its hydrogen supply resulting in the sun cooling and expanding into a red giant, and when it does it will engulf almost all of the inner planets, Earth included.

Now I do believe in the intervention of God--I believe in Christ's glorious return in judgment, in the resurrection of the dead, and the life everlasting in the Age to Come--as Christ, the Apostles, the Scriptures, and the Creeds all say; and as such I believe that this present age will come to an end. History has a conclusion. That began, in part, on that Great Day of Days, the Day Christ rose from the dead; in which Day we now live as new creations by the power of His resurrection by the Holy Spirit who reigns in our hearts. We have become partakers of the future world even now, which is why we can say we have eternal life even in the mortality of our bodies, as Christ our God has said,

"I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die." -John 11:25-26

And so we have, as St. Paul says,

"Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith— that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.

Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
" - Philippians 3:8-14

This is our now-and-not-yet. We have received a gift, through faith: We have in promise and foretaste that which we hope for.

If there is no hope of future resurrection and the renewal of all creation, then there is no salvation in this present life also. Which is why the Apostle teaches in 1 Corinthians 15 that those who say there is no resurrection of the dead are saying, whether they realize it or not, that Christ Himself is not risen. And if Christ is not risen, then we are hopelessly lost, still dead in our sins, and our faith is all pointless--we are to be considered the most pitiable of all people. However, if Christ has risen from the dead, then we have hope, the hope of that future resurrection, the hope of God making all things new, and setting all things to rights.

We have a bright future, we and the rest of the whole universe, in the hope of what God is going to do for us and the whole world; which He has shown us in Jesus. Jesus therefore is the firstfruits of the resurrection, and if the Spirit of "Him who raised Christ from the dead is also in you, then He who raised Christ from the dead will likewise give life to your mortal bodies" (Romans 8:11). For this reason we toil and labor in the Lord, knowing that our labor in Christ will not be in vain (1 Corinthians 15:58).

It's not about "the end of the world"; it's about the redemption of the world and the renewal of all things proclaimed in the words of the Prophets (Acts of the Apostles 3:21). It is about the end of this present age, however; there will be an eschaton, an end of the present way of things, of death, disease, depression, oppression, war, hate, violence, power, and all the vain things of this present world-system ruled by the tyranny of sin and death. Christ has already defeated the powers of sin, death, hell, and the devil; and at His coming shall put, as it were, the final nail in death's coffin.

The Christian looks forward, not in fear, but in hopeful expectation and anticipation of the Day when all things shall be free from the captivity of death. That even the dirt beneath our feet is purposed in Jesus to hope, redemption, and glory.

That should invigorate us to a life of hope here in the present, to live out our faith in the midst of the world, in hope of what has been revealed, with love. As we know "these three things abide: faith, hope, and love. And the greatest of these is love" (1 Corinthians 13:13). Faith trusts in the promises of God, hope looks forward and anticipates these promises in the present, and love is how we live out in the world and, when faith becomes sight, and hope becomes real, love endures forever in that good and future world--where even the lion eats straw like an ox, and the wolf, the lamb, the leopard, the young goat dwell in perfect peace. Even the child shall approach a viper's nest without fear. For there, there is no weeping or mourning, no harm and no death. Injustice will become justice, mourning will become laughter, sorrow shall turn to gladness,

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever" - Psalm 23:6

Such is the life for which we hope, and for which Christ is our Good Shepherd who keeps us in green pasture, beside the calm waters, refreshing our soul.

-CryptoLutheran
The heavens and earth will be destroyed by fire and there will be a new heaven and earth, the home of righteousness (sin-free).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe at the 6th seal, those who believe, and all young and unborn children will be taken. What will be left, is unbelievers, and at that point, in that last year or two, there won't be any more children born, and there won't come any more gentile believers

Please point to ANY scripture that teaches this.
Any one will do.

What scripture teaches ANY Sinners, no matter what age, who have not accepted Christ, will be saved.

Sounds like you are making this up out of thin air.

Upvote 0

GallagherM

Jun 13, 2021
Fyffe
✟13,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@parousia70 Not everyone has faith in Christ Jesus. Jesus Christ did pay for all of the sins of all mankind. On the cross: All people have been saved from their sins.

The truth is about this notion is that not everyone has faith in the Lord Jesus Christ who makes us right with God, our Father, that we may attain peace with Him through this faith, because of the Lord Jesus Christ and his righteousness.

Not everyone is saved unto the Kingdom of Heaven.

Also would say when it comes to age dependent and God being incomprehensible aside from that God is a consuming fire, spirit, and is love, He would be able to assess everything in an individuals life along with everything they would do.

I would hope for mercy; though do know when it comes to us and we are able to start growing and learning that people who receive the truth and then reject what has been done by and through God sending His Son Jesus Christ will receive a just reward for their own individual decision of not seeking after God. (Outside of the Kingdom of Heaven) - Most people believe people go into the hell my view has people going outside of the Kingdom of the Heavenly Jerusalem - because of what is said in the letter of Revelation specifically the last part of the letter, 22.

Upvote 0

GallagherM

Jun 13, 2021
Fyffe
✟13,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@ViaCrucis I do not believe in an end of the earth either.

Something that occurred to me a long time ago about the notion of 'New heaven and new earth' was also seeing things in a different light by and through the spirit of Christ with-in us and that is something we experience today of a becoming a 'new creation'. :) At least that is something that occurred to me years back I still look at it that way. (For the after life is a completely different realm than this. It is a spiritual realm.)

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The heavens and earth will be destroyed by fire and there will be a new heaven and earth, the home of righteousness.

Assuming a literal destruction by fire. Which isn't a position I share. Fire works in two ways: It destroys and it purifies; and I regard such fire to be the fire of God's judgment, rather than a literal fire.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
@ViaCrucis I do not believe in an end of the earth either.

Something that occurred to me a long time ago about the notion of 'New heaven and new earth' was also seeing things in a different light by and through the spirit of Christ with-in us and that is something we experience today of a becoming a 'new creation'. :) At least that is something that occurred to me years back I still look at it that way. (For the after life is a completely different realm than this. It is a spiritual realm.)

I regard two positions to be equally problematic:

1) The "All is Future" view, in which that which we are promised and hope for is a purely future thing, and thus has no real impact or effect here and now.

2) The "All is Now" view, in which the promises and hope has no future outcome in the larger external world and instead is a merely internalized spiritual reality.

Both positions are products of the modern era, innovations in teaching that do not faithfully reflect the historic understanding of the Christian Church. Namely that there is a Now-and-not-yet dimension to working of God. Our present salvation is part of our future salvation and the future salvation of all creation.

There is no new creation unless there is new creation. That is, when the Apostle says that we are new creations in Christ this does not make any sense except in connection with the hope of the new creation of the Age to Come. Our newness in Christ anticipates the newness of the world in the future. We anticipate, by our present regeneration and redemption by the power of the Spirit, that which God is going to do for all creation, which began in Christ by His resurrection from the dead.

God's kingdom is both now and not yet. The kingdom is not a future temporal kingdom that is going to be established on this old earth sometime in the future; the kingdom is the reality of God's reign already inaugurated in Jesus Christ by His death and resurrection and which is in operation through the Church here and now; and when Christ returns it will be the full and absolute reality of the universe. What we hope for is also now as grace through faith by the power of the Spirit operative in our lives by God's word and His Sacraments.

E.g. The Eucharist is both the anticipation and the foretaste of the Wedding Banquet of the Lamb; it not only draws us into the mystery of Christ's death by our receiving His flesh and blood in, with, and under the bread and wine, but it also pulls us forward to the future toward the Wedding Feast and the fullness of our communion with the Lord in the Age to Come. And in between these two things, the Eucharist becomes the visible and tangible expression of the unity of our faith as the Church, establishing the Church as Christ's Mystical Body by our communion together of Christ with one another at His Table; and then providing the basis of Christian communion, unity, and mission in the present world.

The Christian religion simply does not make sense without that paradoxical now-and-not-yet; of past and future meeting in the present to drive us in the here and now, in hope of what is to come, in light of what God has done and said.

Christ is risen, the firstfruits of the resurrection;
By the grace of God we share in the power of His resurrection now through faith;
And because Christ is risen, and we have the hope of this by the indwelling of the Spirit, the down payment and guarantee of these things, we can boldly confess in the face of death in the world that there will be resurrection, life everlasting, and world without end.

A couple years ago when my dad passed away, it was only about a week or two before Easter. It was the hardest Easter of my life, and it was also one of the most important for me personally. It wasn't the first time I had dealt with death, I lost my mom 21 years ago to cancer. I lost an aunt just a year before that, I lost my maternal grandfather two years after. In the years since I lost another aunt, my remaining grandparents, and then my father in 2019. It was, I think, the loss of my dad however that hit me hardest, as I realized I had run out of family (not literally, but it certainly felt that way).

There were two things I didn't want to do that Paschal Season, and that was pretend like death is irrelevant. So often we treat death as irrelevant, speaking as though the departed has just gone through a room next door, that death is simply a door to another kind of life, that death is the gateway to eternal paradise with God in heaven, etc. But that's not what death is. The Bible doesn't let us think this way. The Bible calls death the enemy of God, in fact the final enemy to be defeated by the Lord Jesus Christ.

Death is deathly serious. It's ugly, it's not friendly. It's not our friend.

The other thing I didn't want to do, was give death any power.

The ugliness of Good Friday needs to be taken seriously.
Because the beauty of Easter Sunday doesn't make any sense without Friday's hideousness.

The Son of God died.
The sky grew black.
The earth trembled.
Creation went silent.
Life was swallowed up in death.
Death had gained victory over God.

That is, it did, until the stone was rolled away.
And when the graves clothes lay empty in the tomb.
And we are told, "Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, He is risen."

He is risen!

How audacious! How scandalous! How ludicrous!
How wonderful. How gracious. How beautiful.
O how lovely are the hands that bore the nail marks in them, to be touched by St. Thomas who doubted (and who can blame him?).

See His hands. His feet.
Death took down a victim.
And the Victim took down death.

Where O Death is your sting?
Where O Hell is your victory?
Christ has risen from the dead.
Trampling down death by death.
And to those in the tombs, bestowing life.

The Day will come, when the tombs shall be opened, the graves fly open, the sarcophogi open wide--and the dead shall walk once more on green grass upon a world redeemed and transformed by the power of this God of Life and the Living who saves us.

God won.
God wins.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0