The End of the World (As You Know It)

Q

Quoth

For the purpose of this thread, keep in mind the difference between "the end of the world" and "the end of the world as you know it". How do you picture the end of the world as you know it? Burning cars? Rioting? Complete abandonment of a city? Martial law? Birds, snakes and aero-planes?

To phrase it another way, what imagery comes to mind when you think of the word "apocalypse"?

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Its happening now actually. We've reached the peak of our wasteful, consumerist style of living and things will only keep going downhill. It's just going to be a slow demise and the rest of the world won't notice until its too late.

Reactions: Brad2009
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Q

Quoth

Let's narrow it down to a specific scenario. Let's say that due to "an unspecified threat", martial law was instituted in your city. Within a week, due to rioting (as well as the "unspecified threat"), crime is completely out of control and (for whatever reason), the government pulls up its stakes and hauls out of Dodge.

What kind of things do you think you'd see?

Upvote 0

Amber.ly

Predictably eccentric and honestly hypocritical
Mar 1, 2010
Gone- PM if you need me
✟22,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I used to think when gay marriages were legalized but we are so close to that I had to readjust my "this is as bad as it gets" mindset

So now I am going to say- worldwide unification to legalize and support everything that goes against the principles and laws God put in place. And lots of fire. Whenever I think "apocalypse" I think of fire.

Upvote 0

waves16

don't provoke the beavers
Dec 20, 2010
Canada
✟17,056.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Let's narrow it down to a specific scenario. Let's say that due to "an unspecified threat", martial law was instituted in your city. Within a week, due to rioting (as well as the "unspecified threat"), crime is completely out of control and (for whatever reason), the government pulls up its stakes and hauls out of Dodge.

The show "The Walking Dead" pretty much sums up how I think it'd look.
The military and government fail, and it's pretty much every man for himself. Lots of violence and looting. The cities are empty, and small groups of people still survive by camping out and scavenging for food and shelter. So I think it would end very slowly, but eventually the "unspecified threat" would put an end to everything.

Reactions: Guy Incognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rory

The Dude abides...
Nov 16, 2005
So Cal
Visit site
✟14,911.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My first reaction is Zombies.

Though given more thought I picture a world in ruins from a hard fought battle, streets covered in blast marks from explosions and cars on fire.

Lines of people chained together being herded by our Penguin overlords. Squirrels manning mini machine turrets in case there is a riot.

They are plotting.

Upvote 0

crishmael

nothing but the rain
Aug 29, 2008
Tejas
✟32,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

If my apocalyptic literature course from last semester is any indication, in the breakdown of governing society I would see:
-extreme violence, particularly over scarce resources
-looting
-individuals or groups gathering various methods of inflicting or repelling violence to themselves to establish a power structure over territorial areas
-rape
-items with cultural value such as art or books become worthless
-extreme cheapening of human life
-refugees caught in the crossfire
-cannibalism

So basically, a whole lot of unpleasantry.

Upvote 0

Obzocky

Senior Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
Rain Land
✟33,236.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
The end of the world, as you know it, as opposed to boom and the world is gone;

A simple recession, the peak has been reached for our current cycle (speaking purely from a society point of view) and now we are going to have to adjust to the fact that we've smooshed into the roof and now have to scrape ourselves off. I see a whole lot of fighting in other countries as they start to grow, and I see some significant power drifts.

As for everything else it will be a slow, suffocating death as we are unable to escape our self destructive ways. It's what we do.

Upvote 0