Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
but you did bring up an important point to our dialogue, and especially if our dialogue will bear good fruit.

that, and you have been nothing but respectful on here so this is a compliment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It actually does play into the Graham narration. He showed a very unique attitude toward Catholics post Vatican II. Perhaps he felt that Catholics were making concessions with VII that brought them closer to evangelicalism. It is an interesting to see the dynamics. All I have ever known was Vatican II Catholicism. Frankly, I was surprised when I finally visited a Catholic Church. It seemed strangely familiar.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

SaNcTaMaRiA

I am a man...who loves our Lady!
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Iowa
✟169,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
but you did bring up an important point to our dialogue, and especially if our dialogue will bear good fruit.

that, and you have been nothing but respectful on here so this is a compliment.

I will always be respectful. I value you all very much.

Upvote 0

SaNcTaMaRiA

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Iowa
✟169,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It actually does play into the Graham narration. He showed a very unique attitude toward Catholics post Vatican II. Perhaps he felt that Catholics were making concessions with VII that brought them closer to evangelicalism. It is an interesting to see the dynamics. All I have ever known was Vatican II Catholicism. Frankly, I was surprised when I finally visited a Catholic Church. It seemed strangely familiar.

Graham was known to be friendly to Orthodox as well so I'm not sure this point holds water.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I will always be respectful. I value you all very much.

right back at you, and again, even if you didn't intend to, you did bring up a good point when it comes to the Ecumenical movement

• Friendly
Reactions: SaNcTaMaRiA
Upvote 0

SaNcTaMaRiA

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Iowa
✟169,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I mean I've known my share of Evangelical pastors. I bought into the Jesus freak movement of the 90s. I was sold hook line and sinker into the alter calls and the sinners prayer. Most the pastors I knew thought ill of Catholics and anyone from a tradition not Evangelical. Graham really did seem to be above that. That to me is worth something.

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Graham was known to be friendly to Orthodox as well so I'm not sure this point holds water.
That's a good point. Some have suggested that he held anti Catholic sentiment early on.

I think his kindness for Orthodoxy may have been connected with his hatred for communism. Perhaps he saw Orthodoxy as a resistance. Idk

Upvote 0

SaNcTaMaRiA

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Iowa
✟169,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's a good point. Some have suggested that he held anti Catholic sentiment early on.

I think his kindness for Orthodoxy may have been connected with his hatred for communism. Perhaps he saw Orthodoxy as a resistance. Idk

Could be. Could also be that he was just a really chill dude that didn't care how or why people followed Christ just as long as they did. That being said his theology in most places was way off.

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am sorry for losing my wits on all of this and going off. I just realized that my blood pressure is skyrocketing and that I am very anxious.

Understand, many of us who were pastors fear the Billy Grahams of the world. Ecumenicism stresses me. I am not locked in on the evils of heterodoxy. I volunteer with a couple of heterodox missions (not evangelical in nature). The love of the Methodists in my little Appalachian area is without compare. I appreciate and applaud their exemplary work. However, this does not cross over into evangelism. It is here that my anxiety is heightened.

I apologize to Matt and Marius and all others for allowing this anxiety to control my words. Forgive me.

This is not true.

Its ok! I'm sure I didn't help. Just curious what part of Appalachia you are from? I'm a WV boy myself.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ok everyone. Please STOP. This thread does not a proper Orthodox attitude, and certainly doesn’t belong in the first week of the Great Fast.

Again: Please....don’t continue in this manner.

ETA: It looks like in the last page or two that things are starting to be more cordial. I debated removing this post altogether, but I am keeping this here as a reminder and request for it to not return to that direction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok everyone. Please STOP. This thread does not a proper Orthodox attitude, and certainly doesn’t belong in the first week of the Great Fast.

ETA: It looks like in the last page or two that things are starting to be more cordial. I debated removing this post altogether, but I am keeping this here as a reminder and request for it to not return to that direction.

Perhaps I will just leave the board altogether. I have been told quite a few times recently, on this board and off, that I am not Orthodox enough.

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

And with no disrespect, I thought this was the place for disagreements. Am I to understand that we are to only send heterodox here to be disagreed with?

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And with no disrespect, I thought this was the place for disagreements. Am I to understand that we are to only send heterodox here to be disagreed with?
Disagreement...sure. It sounded like more than just disagreement though. Personal negative comments against fellow posters were being thrown around...which doesn’t belong in any Orthodox forum. Attacking of doctrine or beliefs is fine, but attacking a fellow poster is not. Again - this is directed to the general group, not your specifically.

FTR though, I appreciate you posting this here instead of the main forum!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps I will just leave the board altogether. I have been told quite a few times recently, on this board and off, that I am not Orthodox enough.
I wasn’t referring to you specifically - it was the entire thread with everyone. I appreciate your posts and wouldn’t ever say that you are not Orthodox enough. That never crossed my mind. I believe we come from similar background, and I appreciate your perspective. I’m not trying to attack you (or anyone here)...and I certainly don’t want you to leave the board.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I thought theologically you were solid the whole time

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My point is not to bring heaps of coals upon Billy Graham's memory. I don't expect you want to do this either. I think you would agree that the problem is that we should not celebrate this man as a "Christian" leader.

Right, if you mean 'celebrate' as glorifying. If we did that, it would in time harm faith:

44 "How can you believe since you accept glory from one another but do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?"
John 5 NIV

We see the great danger in glorifying men.

Who is our real leader?

8“But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10 Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah. 11 The greatest among you will be your servant. 12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

Christ is our true leader, for all of us.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,089.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Man, who told you that? I've been in the Orthodox Church for over a decade and face exactly the same struggles that you do. None of us are Orthodox enough, but as long as we stay in the race and continue to repent each time we fall, God will not fail us.
I very much appreciate your posts.

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Man, who told you that? I've been in the Orthodox Church for over a decade and face exactly the same struggles that you do. None of us are Orthodox enough, but as long as we stay in the race and continue to repent each time we fall, God will not fail us.
I very much appreciate your posts.

I was told that I should just follow the lead of the bishops in this and stop. I was also told outside of the board that I wasn't Orthodox enough.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I was told that I should just follow the lead of the bishops in this and stop. I was also told outside of the board that I wasn't Orthodox enough.

Some people . . .

I sure hope it wasn't meant the way it sounds, even (or especially) if it was by someone in authority over you. Please don't leave! I've been in the Church for 17 years, and I'm far, far, far from "Orthodox enough". :doh:

Upvote 0