Aug 18, 2012
✟1,428,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The culture war is merely a symptom of the underlying economic anxiety that pervades the rural areas of America that vote blue. I agree with this author and we as country must find constructive ways to bring the forgotten American into the idea economy....

"The key to understanding the 2018 midterm results — and the future of American politics — isn’t ideology or culture. It’s the different economies of red and blue America.
Red and blue America aren’t separated just by their cultural politics; they are separated by sharp differences in how their economies have developed over the past half-century. And those economic differences can, in turn, explain many of the cultural differences that so bedevil our political system."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...culture-its-economics/?utm_term=.4db7b6747f25

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The culture war is merely a symptom of the underlying economic anxiety that pervades the rural areas of America that vote blue. I agree with this author and we as country must find constructive ways to bring the forgotten American into the idea economy....

"The key to understanding the 2018 midterm results — and the future of American politics — isn’t ideology or culture. It’s the different economies of red and blue America.
Red and blue America aren’t separated just by their cultural politics; they are separated by sharp differences in how their economies have developed over the past half-century. And those economic differences can, in turn, explain many of the cultural differences that so bedevil our political system."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...culture-its-economics/?utm_term=.4db7b6747f25

It's the economic changes that defined the election outcome. Wisconsin has gone red because both industry and farms have been hit, industry by globalization and farms by capitalization. So most of WI decided it was time for a change. Simple as that. Trump promised change and reducing globalization, in talk anyway.

Yes, whoever promises the best economic return wins.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
It's the economic changes that defined the election outcome. Wisconsin has gone red because both industry and farms have been hit, industry by globalization and farms by capitalization. So most of WI decided it was time for a change. Simple as that. Trump promised change and reducing globalization, in talk anyway.

I am pretty sure Wisconsin didn’t go red.

Upvote 0

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟130,502.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's the economic changes that defined the election outcome. Wisconsin has gone red because both industry and farms have been hit, industry by globalization and farms by capitalization.

I agree... people want a change in economic outcome.

So most of WI decided it was time for a change. Simple as that. Trump promised change and reducing globalization, in talk anyway.

...but then utterly failed to pick a strategy that would do it.

For all the GOP likes slamming Ocasio-Cortez for not having her economics down, you guys sure do seem to love trade wars.

It is economic folly to rollback international trade and globalization. Almost every country that has tried to limit trade has kneecapped themselves. There are a handful of exceptions, of course. But for very specific reasons.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree... people want a change in economic outcome....but then utterly failed to pick a strategy that would do it.For all the GOP likes slamming Ocasio-Cortez for not having her economics down, you guys sure do seem to love trade wars.It is economic folly to rollback international trade and globalization. Almost every country that has tried to limit trade has kneecapped themselves. There are a handful of exceptions, of course. But for very specific reasons.

You're not looking at the big picture. This is what Trump does. He creates a crisis by implementing his "solution" to "a problem", then his fixes the crisis he creates, and claims victory again. So by gaining support both times, he get changes he thinks are important, like more even open trade with China. It's how he works. Not the weaker, diplomacy route we are used to.

He battles all day and battle is how he has operated for decades.

• Agree
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We need to distinguish between 2016 and 2018.

It as the economic divide that caused WI, PA and MI to vote Republican in 2016. There were many reasons for them to move back to the Democrats in 2018.

Personally, I would be shocked if MI or PA were to vote Republican again. WI is indeed a swing state.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,428,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I agree whomever can promise voters the best economic outcome will win. However, promising to bring back the manufacturing America of decades past is a false promise. "Reducing globalization" will not occur unless American consumers are willing to value higher quality goods from their local communities (and nation) over the getting the most "stuff" for their dollar. We say one thing....and do another.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree whomever can promise voters the best economic outcome will win. However, promising to bring back the manufacturing America of decades past is a false promise. "Reducing globalization" will not occur unless American consumers are willing to value higher quality goods from their local communities (and nation) over the getting the most "stuff" for their dollar. We say one thing....and do another.

I think if retailers put profits into US products they could improve things. Like wall Mart delivers 80% or more of what we consume from China, if they would trade some profits used for expansion for us sourced goods, that would help their customers have jobs.

Food producers have an easier time with local produce, but hard goods could do the same with effort.

If Wall Mart would promise to source 50% locally, then local businesses would grow to fill that segment and wall mart customers would buy local, even at a higher cost for local.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I think if retailers put profits into US products they could improve things. Like wall Mart delivers 80% or more of what we consume from China, if they would trade some profits used for expansion for us sourced goods, that would help their customers have jobs.

Food producers have an easier time with local produce, but hard goods could do the same with effort.

What would be Walmart's incentive to reduce profits?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What would be Walmart's incentive to reduce profits?
I'm sure Trump can come up with a nasty threat if he puts his mind to it.
How about a threat of 50% tariffs on US companies with over 50% China sourced products?

• Agree
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Walmart might be bigger than Trump. Probably one of the few companies that could just laugh off a Trump Twitter Tirade.
Tax retailers increasingly based on square footage for retail space.
This would support local small business and manufacturing and have public support.
Walmart has already been known to cave in some to public perception.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Great article. I didn’t understand the divide until I took a week-long trip to the rural red part of my blue state. The economic depression was staggering. There were no publicly supported community services like parks, public transportation, museums or universities. Few sudewalks, let alone bike lanes. Of course they were disgusted by politicians’ requests to donate their tax dollars to those things.

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Rural communities just aren’t sustainable. That’s where I’m at. Promising rural America jobs is a false promise too. Human beings do best when they gather together in large groups, in cities where resources can be shared.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yougottabekidding

Nov 3, 2018
Oologah
✟28,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
From my standpoint, and my friends, Trump's policies have been great benefits to us. From the lower income taxes that put more money in my take home pay, to the return of manufacturing jobs (Guess he had a magic wand), to our historic low unemployment rate. Now as the year draws to a close, I ran preliminary numbers on my tax returns and because I am middle income, it looks like a pretty good bump in my return.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
From my standpoint, and my friends, Trump's policies have been great benefits to us. From the lower income taxes that put more money in my take home pay, to the return of manufacturing jobs (Guess he had a magic wand), to our historic low unemployment rate. Now as the year draws to a close, I ran preliminary numbers on my tax returns and because I am middle income, it looks like a pretty good bump in my return.

Did your actual tax rate drop and your take home income increase? Or will you just get a bigger return because of the difficulties with getting the witholdings correct at the beginning of the year?

Upvote 0

yougottabekidding

Nov 3, 2018
Oologah
✟28,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Did your actual tax rate drop and your take home income increase? Or will you just get a bigger return because of the difficulties with getting the witholdings correct at the beginning of the year?

I had no difficulties whatsoever getting the withholding's correct at the beginning of the year. My company did that for me automatically. The take home increase was because my tax rate dropped, and because my tax rate dropped and the new minimun doubled, my tax refund is higher than the past years. Combined with no longer having to pay the Obama Care tax for not having a health plan that qualifies, we are going to have a rally nice return.

Upvote 0

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟130,502.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think if retailers put profits into US products they could improve things.

Ask yourself why retailers do not currently put profits into US products and you will immediately have your answer: US manufacturing cannot beat other markets on price, so we buy from there instead.

Here is your answer: If you force retails to buy domestic, everyone in the US has less. They have less things. They have less services. All to give a few people people in the rust belt who should have MOVED ON a subsidy.

Don't protect inefficient industries. Bury them and move on.

Upvote 0