Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
*You are in the Catholic forum*

-Fr. Dwight Longenecker

One of the most disturbing things about the final dicument from the Amazonian synod is the repeated and unchallenged reference to "Mother Earth."

In the desire to "inculturate the Gospel" the synod organizers are infecting the Catholic Faith with a religious concept which has always been incontrovertibly pagan and which the Christian Faith has always steadfastly resisted. The resistance as Christians to the religion of the Earth Mother was rooted in the same resistance among the Hebrew people.

Continued below.
The Earth is Not My Mother...Here's Why

HardHead

Supporter
Sep 8, 2019
GTA
✟84,378.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not sure how goddess cult worship is compatible with Christianity in general. I'm guessing that some sort of conversion will be required for the goddess worshipers, etc. Is this part of the goals for the Synod in the Amazon?

On the face of it, I don't get it.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am not sure how goddess cult worship is compatible with Christianity in general.
There is no 'goddess worship' that is compatible with Christianity. Never was.
I'm guessing that some sort of conversion will be required for the goddess worshipers, etc. Is this part of the goals for the Synod in the Amazon?
The Amazon Synod does not seem to have the goal of anyone renouncing worship of false gods. On the surface it seems to promote such worship.
On the face of it, I don't get it.
You haven't drunk the Koolaid yet. You won't be able to 'get it' until you do. I don't get it either except to say that the Vatican has totally lost it. Until a new pope comes along.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
“The main point of Christianity was this: that Nature is not our mother: Nature is our sister. We can be proud of her beauty, since we have the same father; but she has no authority over us; we have to admire, but not to imitate. This gives to the typically Christian pleasure in this earth a strange touch of lightness that is almost frivolity. Nature was a solemn mother to the worshipers of Isis and Cybele. Nature was a solemn mother to Wordsworth or to Emerson. But Nature is not solemn to Francis of Assisi or to George Herbert. To St. Francis, Nature is a sister, and even a younger sister: a little, dancing sister, to be laughed at as well as loved.”

G. K. Chesterton​

Upvote 0

HardHead

Supporter
Sep 8, 2019
GTA
✟84,378.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no 'goddess worship' that is compatible with Christianity. Never was.
Yeah, that is exactly my point. The reference point for this is non-existent. In fact the opposite is the case from what I know.

I don't get it either except to say that the Vatican has totally lost it. Until a new pope comes along.
I don't think its my place to criticize bishops openly and these are open forums so I will not comment harshly.

To me this looks like pagan worship of entities/principalities/spirits that are not God and because of this it makes no sense to me. The bishops may have something in mind that I don't get or don't see in this. This is up to them to discern.

The Amazon Synod does not seem to have the goal of anyone renouncing worship of false gods. On the surface it seems to promote such worship.

An outreach that would lead to conversions would make sense, but I don't see that right now. Perhaps a stipulation of a clear renouncement and a conversion is coming as a requirement to be handed down at some point. This would make sense for Catholic union. We don't know what will happen, it seems.

"... Everybody's making love and no one really cares ... Everybody's crying and no one makes a sound ... Everyone's a winner and nothing left to lose ... Nobody told me there'd be days like these. Strange days indeed -- real peculiar, mama", John Lennon

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HardHead

Supporter
Sep 8, 2019
GTA
✟84,378.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Aside from all of this, I would note that in western popular culture children are indoctrinated into the pantheon of Thor, Zeus, and Diana in various superhero films with no such direction towards God. Even though this is clearly shallow, escapist entertainment, and it has nothing to do with religion directly, it makes a strong point in my opinion.

This focus on ancient worship of spirits is bankrupt and spiritually backward, if you ask me. In my opinion, this aspect of the world should not be reflected in the actions of the church. The church needs to draw a line and steer people away from such things, no matter their source.

Such things are not holy and should be discouraged. I'm not saying that we should not have fun entertainment like superheroes, but the messaging is skewed from how I see it.

The goddess cult accommodation surrounding the Amazon synod sounds like this to me but to a much more intense and perhaps to a darker degree. It appears to go beyond some kind of practicality/pragmatism that may be needed to build dialogue with eventual conversion to follow. It just seems strange.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yeah, that is exactly my point. The reference point for this is non-existent. In fact the opposite is the case from what I know.

"... Everybody's making love and no one really cares ... Everybody's crying and no one makes a sound ... Everyone's a winner and nothing left to lose ... Nobody told me there'd be days like these. Strange days indeed -- real peculiar, mama", John Lennon
Peculiar indeed.

• Agree
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
This focus on ancient worship of spirits is bankrupt and spiritually backward, if you ask me. In my opinion, this aspect of the world should not be reflected in the actions of the church. The church needs to draw a line and steer people away from such things, no matter their source.

The goddess cult accommodation surrounding the Amazon synod sounds like this to me but to a much more intense and perhaps to a darker degree. It appears to go beyond some kind of practicality/pragmatism that may be needed to build dialogue with eventual conversion to follow. It just seems strange.
Beyond strange, I see it as diabolic. One needs to chose between the one God or the ancient worship of spirits. They did not choose wisely when they brought in Pachamama. Exorcisms are in order.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums