1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. We are holding our 2022 Angel Ministry Drive now. Please consider signing up, or if you have any questions about being an Angel, use our staff application form. The world needs more prayer now, and it is a great way to help other members of the forums. :) To Apply...click here

The earth is everyone's garden.

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by OldWiseGuy, Nov 4, 2021.

1. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+10,807
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Why don't we fertilize it so it captures more carbon?

2. Semper-Fi

Semper-Fi Well-Known Member Supporter

+635
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. dqhall

dqhall Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,832
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Fertilizer is nitrogen, phosphate and potash. A Mosaic phosphate strip mine in Florida:
    upload_2021-11-4_14-26-29.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Kettriken

Kettriken Active Member

+210
    United States
    Anabaptist
    Private
    There are many reasons, one of the most prominent being that fertilization is messy. Fertilizing might be letting gardens go to seed and decompose before we plow it under for the next season. Fertilizing might be spreading waste on the land we want to plant in next spring. Fertilizing might be letting land lay fallow for a year. Fertilizing might be not developing a valuable resource because we know we'll be better off waiting for the long run.

It is difficult to get agreement for the long term projects, however beneficial they might be.

5. OldWiseGuy

+10,807
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others

You've just expressed the real problem. ;)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  6. AgapeBible

AgapeBible Member

+179
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Where I live, the soil is so sandy one must buy potting soil, perlite, and natural fertilizer called black cow.
    my dad can be stubborn, he would not help out my mom and I when we wanted him to make a bin of chicken wire and extra wood boards to hold a compost heap. We have a lot of kitchen scraps we could put in the compost heap. it can be very difficult to manage though.

There is a natural fertilizer, it comes from body waste, human and animal. It can also be toxic, depending on what was eaten.

7. public hermit

public hermit social troglodyte-tested and approved Supporter

+9,764
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I agree, but what about algal blooms? Isn't fertilizer use one of the primary contributors to harmful algal blooms?

Maybe the payoff would be worth it? I don't know.

Algal bloom - Wikipedia

8. AgapeBible

AgapeBible Member

+179
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I guess I am very ignorant. I should not have said that. Having a clean source of drinking water is important. I guess algal blooms in water is not so good, except for salt water like seas and oceans.

9. OldWiseGuy

+10,807
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Algae is rich in nutrients and can be collected and used for fertilizer.

10. OldWiseGuy

+10,807
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Some soils are difficult to improve. Best to just replace it with good garden soil.

11. Kettriken

Kettriken Active Member

+210
    United States
    Anabaptist
    Private
    A good question. Algal blooms can be compared to fungal overgrowth in our bodies.

Fertilizer in the right place and balance leads to lush vegetation growth. In the wrong place, like cow manure runoff in the chesapeake bay, it promotes algal overgrowth. Those algae suck the oxygen out of the water, thus inhibiting fish populations.
    Sugars in the right place and balance feed our brains and muscles. Too much in the wrong form and quantity can lead to yeast infections and intestinal dysbiosis.